SkyscraperCity Forum banner

Culture in Liverpool

998K views 8K replies 268 participants last post by  Howie_P 
#1 · (Edited)
http://www.liverpool08.com/AboutUs/YourQuestions/index.asp

Culture Uncovered - Your Questions Answered
What is the European Capital of Culture?
The European Capital of Culture programme gives Europe an ideal opportunity to celebrate the culture of Europe's great cities and to involve the community in that celebration. There will be a new European Capital of Culture every year from 2005 onwards. In 2008 the European Capital of Culture will be in the UK and Liverpool beat off 11 other contenders for the title.

Who's behind the Capital of Culture?
The Liverpool Culture Company is the organisation set up by Liverpool City Council to deliver the culture programme up to and beyond 2008. However, everyone is involved. Working with the stakeholders is critical to making this happen, including cultural institutions, communities, creative industries, artists, schools and businesses.

What is Culture?
Our definition of culture is broad. Culture is everything from arts and entertainment to music and sport. The art on offer in our city is second to none and was a major factor in us being awarded Capital of Culture status. Eight world-class museums and galleries, a contemporary arts festival to rival Venice, a dedicated centre for arts and creative technology, FACT, among other world-class venues. Liverpool has also created one of the largest funding packages for community art in the UK. More than 80 groups have benefitted from Creative Communities grants which have triggered multi-million pound match funding.

Why is the Capital of Culture title for us all?
Liverpool is already known around the world for its maritime heritage, architecture, music and sport. The Capital of Culture title will place the city firmly on the global map. One and a half milllion extra visitors are expected to attend the many world-class festivals and events that will take place in the run-up to and including 2008.

Everyone can play their part, from performing to volunteering. For more information on volunteering click on Liverpool Welcome on the left hand side.

How will the Capital of Culture title benefit Liverpool?
Between now and 2008, and beyond, Liverpool will benefit from literally billions of pounds worth of investment, thousands of new jobs and massive regeneration which will see it reborn as a premier European city - one with a more competitive economy, healthier, safer and more involved communities and one where everyone has more opportunities to have a better life. In 1990, Glasgow was the last UK city to have the Capital of Culture status, and experienced substantial economic and social benefits during its period as the City of Culture, both strengthening and promoting its own impressive regeneration.

What will happen between now and 2008?
The years 2005 to 2007 are the 'dress rehearsals' for the grand finale of the 12-month festival in 2008. During this time we will be strengthening our impressive events programme and attracting new high profile events. We will also continue to work with hundreds of community organisations and thousands of residents to help build enthusiasm, creativity and participation for Capital of Culture.

In the build up to the Liverpool European Capital of Culture in 2008, each year will have a special theme to highlight different aspects of the city's unique culture and to hone our ability to deliver world-class events.

2005 Sea Liverpool
2005 celebrates Liverpool's maritime legacy featuring, among many other highlights, the 25th annual Mersey River Festival, the start of the Clipper Round the World Yatch Race and culminating in the bi-centennial celebration of the Battle of Trafalgar.

2006 Liverpool Performs
2006 will celebrate Liverpool's amazing track record in performance, from the stage to the gallery, from the football pitch to the boardroom. Highlights include the 4th Liverpool Biennial and the British Golf Open Championship, returning to Hoylake, Wirral, for the first time in 38 years. It will also include 'a city in transition' using international and local artists in developing artistic programmes to explore the changes in Liverpool.

2007 Liverpool's 800th Birthday
King John granted the charter for Liverpool's city status way back in 1207, so get ready for one hexk of a birthday party in 2007. Look forward to a whole year of festivals and activities showcasing 800 years of heritage, culminating in the official birthday celebrations on 28th August 2007. It's a great time to re-connect with long-lost friends and family across the world.

What will happen in 2008?
Where do we start? Liverpool's 2008 programme will be Europe's biggest and most diverse celebration of culture with more than 50 international festivals in art, architecture, ballet, comedy, cinema, food, literature, music, opera, science and theatre. 2008 is set to involve one billion people from more than 60 countries, across five continents. Events confirmed for 2008 so far include: Sir Simon Rattle to conduct the Royal Liverpool Philharmonic Orchestra; the 5th Liverpool Biennial; European Amateur Boxing Championships; The Open at Royal Birkdale; the start of the Tall Ships Race; and the homecoming of the 07-08 Clipper Round the World Yatch Race.

Is it just for visitors or can local people get involved?
A major aim of Liverpool 08 is to harness the wealth of artistic and creative talent of our people. Local people form the heart of our programme and this year we will escalate the number of community initiatives on the journey towards 2008 and beyond. From a festival for children taking its first steps in 2005, through to building on the successes of Goodbye Litter and our neighbourhood programmes, to dealing with serious issues that impact on the health of our city, such as the 'Its Not OK' violence and young people project, there is literally something for everyone to participate in.

Who is funding the Capital of Culture?
Capital of Culture is funded by both public and private sector organisations. We have already achieved success in sponsorship from the private sector and support from government agencies.

How will the city change as a result of Liverpool 2008?
Work is well underway on regenerating the city in time for 2008. Construction has started on Europe's biggest city centre redevelopment scheme which is creating a new heart for Liverpool. The £900 million Grosvenor project will see 2 million square feet of new leisure and retail space created, with 30 new buildings including two department stores and two hotels.

The £400 million King's Waterfront development will bring a concert arena, conference facilities, hotels, residential and leisure uses to the banks of the Mersey. In addition, work is underway on a new £15 million state-of-the-art cruise liner facility. And that's not all, building work will continue to 2015 and beyond.

See less See more
#3,502 ·
I love seaside architecture though, the whole white stucco thing. Brighton has tonnes of lovely victorian streets and squares, then there is the pavilion, the grand hotels, the station etc.
Yes, there are some nice residential squares over towards Kemptown, but I still don't think it all 'hangs together' that well. Maybe I need to spend more time there? Probably.

Likewise, I think you need to spend more time in Liverpool before you judge so easily. I don't suppose you spent any time wandering around the Georgian area of the city? Falkner Street? Hope Street? The area around Princes and Sefton Park?

Were you aware that Liverpool's rail station saw the first passenger rail journey and is quite something, architecturally?

#3,503 ·
I love seaside architecture though, the whole white stucco thing. Brighton has tonnes of lovely victorian streets and squares, then there is the pavilion, the grand hotels, the station etc.
As for seaside architecture - Waterloo is well worth a visit; there are some very handsome houses that sit facing the sand dunes at Crosby beach - which is itself well worth a visit - for the Gormley statues if nothing else.

I think it is always best to plan a first visit to any where significant when the weather is more clement. Places are as much about people as buildings. :)

#3,505 ·

Belonging - Patrick Murphy

Banished from city centres and branded a nuisance, pigeons will become a familiar sight at the Walker Art Gallery during the Biennial, when around 150 brightly coloured birds will adorn the exterior of the gallery.

Belonging elevates the very familiar site of pigeons from their everyday urban context; here they are welcome, colourful visitors. However the installation also evokes questions about ownership and feelings of being accepted or marginalised. Anthropomorphised, the pigeons can be seen to represent any group that struggles to find a natural home or sense of acceptance in a more physical or geographical space. Link

#3,506 ·
Tate Liverpool - a modern glory of the north

Kenn Taylor recounts the 25 year history of the pioneering gallery and talks to its new director, Francesco Manacorda.

Much has been written over the last few years about the proliferation of new art galleries in the UK regions, especially the north. Often this is seen to have started with Gateshead's Baltic, which opened in 2002 in a huge converted flour mill on the Tyne waterfront. Much has also been written about the viability and role of such institutions, particularly those located in deprived areas, especially since the public sector cutbacks have ensued.

Before all of this though, there was Tate Liverpool. One the first attempts at creating a modern art gallery in a post-industrial setting in the UK, and certainly so in the north, it will celebrate its 25th anniversary next year. In that quarter century, modern and contemporary art has moved from the fringe of elite culture to something approaching the mainstream while the idea of using culture as a regeneration tool has both risen and fallen.

Continues http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/the-northerner/2012/sep/13/tate-liverpool-biennial?newsfeed=true

#3,507 ·
#3,510 ·
Er... Jane, that's mildly terrifying. You seem to have taken a photo of me there, in that third photo.....:)

What did you think of the exhibition?
Don't worry - I have others of you too :lol: ( no, really!)

TBH, I was so overwhelmed by the building and its 'memories' that I will require another visit, or even two to fully appreciate the exhibits.

I particularly liked Floor 3 - in which you are pictured; especially this exhibit below:

You actually feel as if you are in the street scenes themselves ( 'The Unexpected guest!). I liked that, particularly.

#3,512 ·
I loved that one with the guy dancing in the white room. Reminded me of younger days and we had a little dance of our own in there. A private disco for us.

Yes, I liked that too! Reminded me of a Tracey Emin installation at the Tate some years ago.

#3,513 ·
I enjoyed the Hope St festival today. Excellent turnout but it saddened me to see so many parking tickets on cars. I struggle to see how that will support the growth and development of the festival. Many drivers had bought pay and display tickets but had mistakenly parked in resident permit only areas.

I do wish there was some more common sense in the council. . .

#3,514 ·
Had the pleasure of taking photos and being at Rhys Chatham: A Crimson Grail for 100 guitars and 8 basses in Liverpool Anglican Cathedral on Friday, a great start to the Liverpool Biennial 2012

Ive starting putting some images on face book:
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.501917033169855.129390.333055620055998&type=1

few more for those who dont have that
Cheers for the photos - a great record of Liverpool's gig of the year! Though not sure anything will quite capture the sensation of sitting in the middle of the throng with Rhys's incredible music building and building and swirling across the cathedral's great chasm. So glad I got there early - never expected so many people to turn up.

I actually bought the CD of A Crimson Grail a few years ago, recorded in New York. Not sure I'll listen to it again as I now realise it's utterly inadequate as a record of the true live experience....

#3,515 ·
I enjoyed the Hope St festival today. Excellent turnout but it saddened me to see so many parking tickets on cars. I struggle to see how that will support the growth and development of the festival. Many drivers had bought pay and display tickets but had mistakenly parked in resident permit only areas.

I do wish there was some more common sense in the council. . .
Are you saying they should nopt be charged becuase the drivers may be attending the hope street feast?
I don't understand why that matters.

#3,516 ·
I'm saying that the signposting for the resident parking permits is inadequate and making access by car difficult does no favours to the festival. It looked as though additional wardens had been asked to work on Sunday. I know parking rules are there for a reason but why not have some flexibility for 1 w/e - particularly when public transport provision to the area (except for buses) is poor.