SkyscraperCity Forum banner

AMSTERDAM - Johan Cruijff ArenA (55,865)

530K views 776 replies 134 participants last post by  Ramanaramana 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)

AFC Ajax

34x League: (record)
1918, 1919, 1931, 1932, 1934,
1937, 1939, 1947, 1957, 1960,
1966, 1967, 1968, 1970, 1972,
1973, 1977, 1979, 1980, 1982,
1983, 1985, 1990, 1994, 1995,
1996, 1998, 2002, 2004, 2011,
2012, 2013, 2014, 2019

19x Cup: (record)
1917, 1943, 1961, 1967, 1970,
1971, 1972, 1979, 1983, 1986,
1987, 1993, 1998, 1999, 2002,
2006, 2007, 2010, 2019

8x Supercup:
1993, 1994, 1995, 2002, 2005,
2006, 2007, 2013

4x UEFA Champions League:
1971, 1972, 1973, 1995

1x UEFA Europa League:

1x UEFA Cup Winners' Cup:

2x UEFA Super Cup:
1973, 1995

2x Intercontinental Cup
1972, 1995

See less See more
#137 ·
The Amsterdam Arena is equipped with dreaded ‘moats’ or ‘canals’, separating stands from the pitch, conjuring visions of sub-level carpool lanes. Encroaching on to the pitch, one would need a pole vault.

Today, stadium director Henk Markerink announced the ‘roofing’ of the moat on the west side of the ground (pictured east) to create a ‘floor’, accommodating an extra five rows of seats reaching pitch level.

Work shall commence during the 2012/13 winter break. This expansion will generate an extra capacity yet to be disclosed.

#138 ·
This winter the construction of permanent stands in the canal on the west side of the stadium will start. This is the canal in front of the main stand.

Ajax have played their last home game of 2012 on 8th December. First home game in 2013 will be on 20th January. Construction should be ready by then.

#139 ·
what will be the cap.?
55,000?

#140 ·
U guys do realise that when u lower the pitch to add seats the upper tier may not see the whole pitch.And really why would u want to add seats?Firts of all the stands are pretty close to the pitch,i think its 10m max,so no more than 3-4 rows can be added.The problem is with the end stands.Why the hell did they built them so far (there's got to be at least 25 m there).
I heard they would want to expand it to 65-70K.How would they do it?Except a steep as hell 3rd tier(like Bernabeu) i dont see a real solution.Still this stadiums biggest problem the very large distance between pitch and end stands.Huge design mistake.

#141 ·
The pitch in the Amsterdam ArenA will not be lowered. They will construct seats in the area where now a ditch is separating the stands from the field.

The 65.000 spectators expansion was a plan for the possible WC-2018/2022 which was not awarded to The Netherlands and Belgium. That is highly unlikely to happen. And the plans for it were very, very ugly. The wanted to add a third tier only behind the goals.

#143 ·
^^ This change can only be done on the West and East side of the stadium. The areas behind the goals (North and South stand) are huge. So there this change is not possible without redoing the angle of the total stand. That is a huge change, and therefore expensive.

#144 · (Edited)
^^ This change can only be done on the West and East side of the stadium. The areas behind the goals (North and South stand) are huge. So there this change is not possible without redoing the angle of the total stand. That is a huge change, and therefore expensive.
True.

Probably the simplest solution would be to do something similar as the temporary stands on the North side of the stadium (in front of the platform for disabled). The remaining gap could then be filled with just a flat surface. People would then still be somewhat far from the pitch, but at least the ugly ditch is gone. This would create something similar as in the Emirates Stadium, which would be ok IMO (but Emirates would still be closer to the pitch).
Or they can just create a second platform for the disabled.

Alternatively they could create stands with an angle which are less steep, but not covering the entire ditch (which is probably impossible). And then close it off with a flat surface.

#145 ·
I dont believe you peaple care so much about that moat around the field.Adding seats behind he goals isnt a sollution imo,there u need to have the firts row a couple feet above the playing surface because of the big distance to the goal line.The view from those seats would suck.U've got the 3 feet high advertising boards,cameramen,photograhpers,stewards.....bad view overall.Only solution is demolishing the entire end stands and bringing them closer.Werder Bremen and Stuttgart did something similar.The loss in capacity is not that huge.Problem is u also have a huge ass roof,and modifing the roof would cost a ton of money.
Addition of seats can only be done successfully on the sidelines,and only a couple of rows can be added from obvious reasons.If u want to lower the pitch,u can only do it slightly,cause the upper tier wont see the whole playing area because of the angle.IMO no more than 5 rows can be added on the sidelines.Not that huge amount and looking at the costs i dont think its worth it.
The stadium is very nice btw:)and it should be ,imo,left alone.Those moats really dont look that bad.I've seen great stadiums with moats,nothing to be ashamed of.

#146 ·
It would be nice to expand in someway. wait until feyenoord build the new kuip and then expand so capacity is bigger than theirs again!

In fact no point as new kuip wont be built. Why.....as feyenoord propose they invest 0 euros themselves on the project!

seriously though it would be nice to get AA up to 60k and make interior more unique looking in the process

#163 ·
It would be nice to expand in someway. wait until feyenoord build the new kuip and then expand so capacity is bigger than theirs again!
Who is going to pay for that? And why do so if there is not a real need to do so?

In fact no point as new kuip wont be built. Why.....as feyenoord propose they invest 0 euros themselves on the project!
Don't you worry. ;) That new Feyenoord stadium will be built and will open approximately mid 2018. For now the capacity is planned at 63.000 seats. :)

#149 ·
is this happening with no publicity or have i spent too long in some of the amsterdam cafes and staring at windows !

does anyone know what the official line is with this works, how extensive, capacity increase etc...

#153 ·
What will be the new capacity?

#155 ·
The secretary of the board of directives told me that it will be a limited expansion. One row will be added (to the actual four extra temporary rows) and there will be extra seats closer to the dugout wich will be integrated into the stand (as can be seen above).

So I wouldn't suspect more than a few hundred extra seats. Though I know that the management of the Amsterdam ArenA has just closed a deal with a Brazilian manufacturer for the delivery of 54,000 new seats by the end of 2013 made out of old plastic materials.

http://www.odebrecht.com/en/sala-im...askem-green-plastic-be-used-amsterdam-arena-s

#161 ·
AA is this happening all around the stadium filling in that kinda underground empty bit? and what will this add to capacity please?

#162 ·
^^ As far as I have understood these works are planned only for the two sides of the Amsterdam ArenA alongside the pitch. The distance to the pitch in the areas behind the goals is huge, so this type of construction will not give a satisfactory result.

#165 ·
Those numbers come from the time The Netherlands and Belgium were bidding for the WC-2018/2022 organization.

Now the numbers have been set much more realistically. But the capacity of 63.000 is the minimum and the stadium should have a flexible design. This should make an additional capacity easy to install, without raising the roof or do some other expensive rework to the original stadium design. This should make the hosting of a CL-final possible. Da Luz has a fixed capacity of 65.000, so with the flexible concept 65k+ should be relatively easy to be reached.

Now back on topic to the Amsterdam ArenA. By the way, also for this stadium an increase to a possible 80,000 people was proposed for the WC-2018/2022 bids.

#167 ·
^^ They will pay normal rent as they are now also doing to the current stadium exploitation company (Stadion Feijenoord NV). Nothing new or special. The investment will be done by the exploitation company and the building company (Volker-Wessels), not by the football club. Again, this is also how it ois done today in the current stadium in Rotterdam. Again, nothing new or special, and that new stadium will be built! :cheers:

#168 ·
So these companies are going to pay €300m or so. Of course they'd do that for some rent from a broke club going nowhere fast. It's a ridiculous idea and ask yourself why this isn't all signed and agreed yet.... Because its a dream to think that would happen. In a parallel universe where the sun always shines and the rain is gold coins, then yeah maybe. Won't happen, it simply can't under its current proposals. And with no prospect of CL football, a failing youth system and in an unattractive city, this won't change anytime soon. Look at the plans again in 2050-2075 as the picture for feyenoord may be different then.

#169 ·
^^ Since this is done for such a long time already, of course it can and will be done. The rest of your post to me clearly indicates that you have no idea about the situation at Feyenoord or the city where they come from.

#170 ·
i assume your referring to me calling rotterdam unattractive - i mean to outside investors, companies, tourists etc. obviously the city is modern due to the extensive reconstruction following the war years and is therefore attractive in that sense. but outsiders ie major sponsorship still dont care or have no interest in rotterdam. no one outside holland wants to go to rotterdam.

but it doesnt matter as you dont need anyone else, you have these companies that i assume own current kuip, ready to spend 300m for you.

have you ever considered that some people find your planned way of financing this distasteful and arrogant? this will just be another one of the many other planned new kuip's that imo wont happen.

time will tell......