search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Asian Forums > Asian Skyscraper Forums > South Asia > Mehfil Pakistan > Transportation and Infrastructure

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 602 votes, 4.99 average.
Old June 10th, 2006, 09:43 PM   #201
swerveut
quit wasting my time !!

Likes (Received): 357

Saying that Sir Syed was pre-partition doesnt make any sense. He is still our hero. If we dont respect him, who do we expect will? the Indians?? We need to remember that our history in the subcontinent doesnt just start with the creation of Pakistan.

Also, I am not dishonoring the role of Fatima Jinnah in the creation of Pakistan. No doubt she played a very important role. I bet there were also a lot of other very important people in the time of the Pakistan movement as well which would deserve a mention. Muhammad Ali Jauhar anyone?

My whole argument for the support of Sir Syed is that he is a historic personality. He was the one who saved us all from sinking into blame and mistrust after the burden of the War of Independence of 1857 was put on our shoulders. He was the one who put in the seeds of enlightenment for our nation by urging us to not quit educating ourselves just because the British had taken over. Also, were it not for the illustrious education institutions he established, a lot of our national leaders would not have played the parts they did. Because most of them studied from those institutes.

I havent seen any major thing named after him yet in Pakistan. With the exception of the Sir Syed Univ in Karachi, but that is a private institution.
swerveut no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 10th, 2006, 09:58 PM   #202
TORONTOCOPENHAGEN

Likes (Received): 6

Glad to see that Islamabad will get a new airport.

IT SURE NEEDS IT SINCE THE CURRENT ONE REALLY SUCKS!

Peter K
Albania Austria Belgium Bosnia Botswana Cambodia Canada China Costa Rica the Czech Republic Croatia Denmark France Germany Ghana Greece India Iraq Italy Japan Kashmir Kosova Laos Liberia Macedonia Malaysia Mexico Montenegro Morocco Mozambique the Netherlands Norway Pakistan Portugal Singapore South Africa South Korea Spain Sri Lanka Sweden Switzerland Syria Thailand Tunesia Turkey the United Kingdom the United States of America Uzbekistan Vietnam Yemen Zambia Zimbabwe
TORONTOCOPENHAGEN no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2006, 11:13 PM   #203
cntower
Indus Priest King

Likes (Received): 9245

Names

Fatima Jinnah is a nice name...but then again we already have Jinnah International in Karachi...so I wouldn't choose it...Sir Syed Ali Khan or Rashid Minhas sounds really good...
Old June 10th, 2006, 11:19 PM   #204
UnitedPakistan
Musharraf Ka Danda!

Likes (Received): 415

We already have Minhas Airbase...

FJI-Fatima Jinnah International

ELECTIONS 2008: WE ARE THE ELEMENTS OF CHANGE!
Har waqt hoon mein Pakistan ke liye..
UnitedPakistan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2006, 12:51 AM   #205
Gumnaam
Adm!n!strator

Likes (Received): 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by swerveut
Saying that Sir Syed was pre-partition doesnt make any sense. He is still our hero. If we dont respect him, who do we expect will? the Indians?? We need to remember that our history in the subcontinent doesnt just start with the creation of Pakistan.

Also, I am not dishonoring the role of Fatima Jinnah in the creation of Pakistan. No doubt she played a very important role. I bet there were also a lot of other very important people in the time of the Pakistan movement as well which would deserve a mention. Muhammad Ali Jauhar anyone?

My whole argument for the support of Sir Syed is that he is a historic personality. He was the one who saved us all from sinking into blame and mistrust after the burden of the War of Independence of 1857 was put on our shoulders. He was the one who put in the seeds of enlightenment for our nation by urging us to not quit educating ourselves just because the British had taken over. Also, were it not for the illustrious education institutions he established, a lot of our national leaders would not have played the parts they did. Because most of them studied from those institutes.

I havent seen any major thing named after him yet in Pakistan. With the exception of the Sir Syed Univ in Karachi, but that is a private institution.
Very True! Sir Syed Ahmad Khan is also our national hero but it's also true that his era was pre-Pakistan, I don't see any controversy here..

Gwadar airport (with careful planning it can become a regional hub) is also coming up along with Islamabad airport, we can name one after Sir Syed Ahmad Khan and the other after Fatima Jinnah.

How about this!
Old June 11th, 2006, 12:55 AM   #206
UnitedPakistan
Musharraf Ka Danda!

LMAO...And please no Musharraf International until he is long dead.

Old June 11th, 2006, 01:52 AM   #207
PAKONE

Likes (Received): 733

Whats the problem with "Islamabad International Airport" ?? But if i had to chose it would be either Liaqat Ali International or Fatima Jinnah Intl.

Who knows when this airport is made, but as long as it meets the need for future generations and can accommodate the latest aircraft in the industry. At this rate i think not even our future generations will see it
PAKONE no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2006, 01:54 AM   #208
UnitedPakistan
Musharraf Ka Danda!

Liaqat Ali?

The man was a supporter of feudals to strengthen his chances at elections after Jinnah died. I would say hell no to that one...

Old June 11th, 2006, 08:10 AM   #209
merijanpakistan
We need Malcolm X

Likes (Received): 28

Salam,

Well Sir Syed Ahmad International for Gwadar sounds good GumNaam! I never thought of that name for Gwadar. I think Gwadar would be a wonderful and up-to-date city, and naming its airport after some body who waked muslims up from a deep sleep into the era of Aligarh university is a brilliant idea!!

For Islamabad, i am not sure, ... but there were some rumors in the papers that it has already been decided as Fatima Jinnah International... which i thought was cool.

Peace.

Zero Political Repression
Zero Social Discrimination
Zero Economic Exploitation
Zero Environmental Extortion
merijanpakistan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2006, 10:04 AM   #210
vazim

Likes (Received): 422

so far the choices are

Fatima Jinnah Int'l Airport
Liaqat Ali khan Int'l Airport
Islamabad Int'l Airport
vazim no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2006, 03:13 PM   #211
shah_476gb

Likes (Received): 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by vazim
so far the choices are

Fatima Jinnah Int'l Airport
Liaqat Ali khan Int'l Airport
Islamabad Int'l Airport
These sound nice but how about...Aziz Bhatti International....after all he is also a hero yaar....first to get Nishan-e-Haidar....
shah_476gb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2006, 10:55 PM   #212
kronik

Likes (Received): 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by swerveut

My whole argument for the support of Sir Syed is that he is a historic personality. He was the one who saved us all from sinking into blame and mistrust after the burden of the War of Independence of 1857 was put on our shoulders.
just to clear things up, India doesn't need Pakistan to honor a Muslim before it does. Just like Pakistan has named some weapons after Tipu Sultan, similarly, he is remembered as a great hero in our country. In fact, I have been to his old capital city and his maqbara. The AMU is still a top-notch university.

Also, when you say the blame of 1857 was put on 'us', I am assuming you mean the Muslims? I would really appreciate if somebody could PM me with some reference articles about what Pakistan's history text books say about the first war of independence, or just a line or two. thanks.
kronik no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2006, 04:44 AM   #213
Kashmiri84
BANNED

Likes (Received): 11

I think Muhammad Bin Qasim would be a better name for the Gwadar airport considering his legacy in the Makran region (yes i already know about the port). Or alternatively, the name of the Omani Sultan in charge of Oman whenGwadar was handed over to Pakistan.
Kashmiri84 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2006, 05:29 AM   #214
X-entric
BANNED

Likes (Received): 157

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnitedPakistan
If the father of the nation has a airport named after him shouldnt the mother of the nation also have a airport named after her?

Without her Jinnah would have probaly never have been able to fight for Pakistan. Without her Pakistan would be a mess upto this day. It is because of her that we were able to handle the refugees and the mass of people.
Pakistan IS a mess........isnt it? but I hope we can clear this mess in this generation.My vote is for 'Islamabad International'
X-entric no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2006, 06:22 AM   #215
UnitedPakistan
Musharraf Ka Danda!

^

You know what I meant...

Old June 12th, 2006, 08:04 AM   #216
swerveut
quit wasting my time !!

Likes (Received): 357

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kashmiri84
I think Muhammad Bin Qasim would be a better name for the Gwadar airport considering his legacy in the Makran region (yes i already know about the port). Or alternatively, the name of the Omani Sultan in charge of Oman whenGwadar was handed over to Pakistan.

Why are we so fond of naming our stuff for names of people who dont have as much national importance?
I have already come across so many things that have been named after King Faisal of Saudi Arabia. Faisalabad, Faisal Mosque, Shahrah-e-Faisal in Karachi, I am pretty sure more things such. I dont understand the redundancy.
I would vehemently oppose Gwadar's anything to be named after an Arabian prince.

Also, since Port Qasim has already been ascribed to Muhammad Bin Qasim (Karachi being his point of entrance into the subcontinent,) its redundant to use his name again as well.
swerveut no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2006, 04:17 PM   #217
cntower
Indus Priest King

Likes (Received): 9245

How about we name it after Edhi? Or does the person have to be dead to name the airport after him/her?
Old June 12th, 2006, 09:17 PM   #218
KB

Likes (Received): 6785

OMG!
you guys r soo touchy!

i believe ppl r just passing time on this issue of the name... well for me , let the thing start and we can always think of a name later. My vote, however, is for Islamabad Int'l airport.

Anyone with news on the airport?
KB no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2006, 11:03 PM   #219
vazim

Likes (Received): 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by shah_476gb
These sound nice but how about...Aziz Bhatti International....after all he is also a hero yaar....first to get Nishan-e-Haidar....
Following Shaheeds were awarded Nishan-e-haider. How we can prefer one on another ?? difficult, i suggested earlier Rashid minhas because his shahadat was post war and he was young blood..

Captain Mohammad Sarwar Shaheed
Major Tufail Mohammad Shaheed
Major Raja Aziz Bhatti Shaheed
Major Mohammad Akram Shaheed
Pilot Officer Rashid Minhas Shaheed
Major Shabir Sharif Shaheed
Jawan Sowar Mohammad Hussain Shaheed
Lance Naik Mohammad Mahfuz Shaheed
Captain Karnal Sher Khan Shaheed
Havaldaar Lalak Jan Shaheed
vazim no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2006, 11:17 PM   #220
UnitedPakistan
Musharraf Ka Danda!

^

How many times must it be repeated we already have Minhas Airbase!

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: