search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Latin American & Caribbean Forums > Latinscrapers > El Caribe | The Caribbean > El Caribe - The Caribbean > Foros locales de El Caribe - Caribbean Local Forums > Trinidad & Tobago Forum

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 65 votes, 5.00 average.
Old September 15th, 2008, 12:44 AM   #21
chrisknight2

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trini2D Bone View Post
Does anyone have details on any of these projects?
Trini2dbone: I know a friend in the EMA who told me that along the Solomon Hochoy Highway there will be an interchange at Pointe-a-Pierre to serve the increased traffic because of Petrotrin's new headquarters at the Gasparillo Gate. Another location is at the Lange Park exit from the highway in Chaguanas. I've seen the drawing for the extension of highway to Point Fortin and Princes Town and both will require simple cloverleaf interchanges. Of course the interchanges in North will have to be at El Soccoro most importantly. But the plan is to get rid of all the intersections on the Churchill Roosevelt Highway; that will require an immense amount of work.
chrisknight2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 15th, 2008, 01:40 AM   #22
Bori427

Likes (Received): 1795

There are no freeways in T&T right?
Bori427 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2008, 06:22 PM   #23
Trini2D Bone

Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisknight2 View Post
Trini2dbone: I know a friend in the EMA who told me that along the Solomon Hochoy Highway there will be an interchange at Pointe-a-Pierre to serve the increased traffic because of Petrotrin's new headquarters at the Gasparillo Gate. Another location is at the Lange Park exit from the highway in Chaguanas. I've seen the drawing for the extension of highway to Point Fortin and Princes Town and both will require simple cloverleaf interchanges. Of course the interchanges in North will have to be at El Soccoro most importantly. But the plan is to get rid of all the intersections on the Churchill Roosevelt Highway; that will require an immense amount of work.

Cloverleaf interchanges? Nice!

Thanks for the info. Too bad I live in the west and wouldn't really be able to see these projects as they progress if they do ever get off the ground.

I know of the project to remove the lights at the El Socorro and Aranguez intersections. I saw the alternatives and one was even to have one interchange to serve both intersections. But I think they are more leaning towards two separate interchanges.

I was just hoping to hear about any plans to construct interchanges at other major intersections, like at Curepe or Macoya. It just seems foolish to me to have traffic lights along a major artery like the CRH. I don't even think that the interchange at Grand Bazaar would do much to alleviate congestion until an interchange is constructed at El Socorro and Aranguez.
Trini2D Bone no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2008, 07:27 PM   #24
trin

Likes (Received): 184

Correct, it would just move the bottle neck further west. Widening the highway isn't the solution either.

Bori, Trinidad does have a freeway which runs north south and if the flyovers being discussed above come to fruition then we will have one running east west soon.
trin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2008, 12:29 AM   #25
chrisknight2

Cool Interchange

I'm sure you're aware of the interchange plan on the Ministry of Work's website.

This was the interchange that John Humphrey designed with the arch that had already started construction in Paris (by the same guys who built the Eiffel tower) Then along came the PNM..........and we know what happened to that plan!

Under the programme, the CRH/UBH intersection will be converted to a grade separated interchange. On completion, the interchange will be completely free-flowing with no traffic lights. The project currently under construction is the second of three packages for the CRH/UBH.

The first package entailed construction of a new S-W ramp – that is a ramp to convey traffic coming from the south (San Fernando) and heading west (POS) through the intersection without delays. This ramp has been completed and is in service. The current project (package 2) entails:

The construction of a W-S ramp. This is an overpass that will enable southbound traffic heading west along the CRH to cross the intersection without delays.
The construction of an overpass over the CRH at Bamboo. This will eliminate the traffic lights currently in place just south of the Grand Bazzar entrance.
The construction of associated collector roads, drainage and associated works such as the relocation of the Grand Bazzar entrance.

Other related works, currently in detailed design phase are:
The 3rd and final package for the CRH/UBH. The main feature of this package will be construction of an overpass to carry UBH traffic over the CRH. It also include other collector roads and a roundabout. All these works will complete the conversion of the intersection to a completely free-flowing one with no traffic lights.
The construction of new interchanges at the CRH intersections at Aranguez and El Soccoro. This will eliminate traffic lights in these areas.
The widening of the Beetham Highway/Wrightson Road between the Market overpass and St. Vincent Street. This will complete the conversion of the Wrightson road to six-lanes thereby easing traffic flow into and out of the city.
The widening of the south-bound UBH bridge over the Caroni river. This will improve the southbound capacity of the UBH, thereby eliminating the traffic backup that sometimes extends back to the CRH intersection.

For the guy who asked about freeways, check out this youtube video!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Pb_QwKdEVo

Last edited by Jaykar; April 1st, 2013 at 02:49 AM.
Old September 16th, 2008, 12:56 AM   #26
Bori427

Quote:
Originally Posted by trin View Post
Bori, Trinidad does have a freeway which runs north south and if the flyovers being discussed above come to fruition then we will have one running east west soon.

Any pics and/or aerials?
Old September 16th, 2008, 01:37 AM   #27
chrisknight2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bori427 View Post
Any pics and/or aerials?
Yup! I'll find a few now.
Old September 16th, 2008, 01:57 AM   #28
chrisknight2

Cool

A few for starters......

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Old September 16th, 2008, 02:07 AM   #29
chrisknight2

Cool A couple others........

And more......

Old September 16th, 2008, 04:43 AM   #30
Bori427

Very very nice,definitely one of the best freeway infrastructure in the Caribbean!
Old September 16th, 2008, 11:12 AM   #31
Babalawo

what part of trinidad are those?
Babalawo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2008, 02:48 PM   #32
chrisknight2

Cool Dummyproofing

Thanks for the kind words.

I would imagine Puerto Rico would have an American style highway system. There is a lot less signage on our highways.

for instance: there would only be one sign for an exit approaching and then a sign on the exit itself.
When i drove on the Florida Turnpike, I recall seeing about 4 signs for only one exit. Its helpful but I think its really "dummyproofing" if you ask me and not entirely necessary.

Where can I go to see Puerto Rican highways?

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

The lobby at the office.
image hosted on flickr
Old September 17th, 2008, 04:06 AM   #33
Bori427

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisknight2 View Post
Thanks for the kind words.

I would imagine Puerto Rico would have an American style highway system. There is a lot less signage on our highways.

for instance: there would only be one sign for an exit approaching and then a sign on the exit itself.
When i drove on the Florida Turnpike, I recall seeing about 4 signs for only one exit. Its helpful but I think its really "dummyproofing" if you ask me and not entirely necessary.

Where can I go to see Puerto Rican highways?

Sure, you can find some pics here:

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=511349

Last edited by Bori427; September 17th, 2008 at 04:13 AM.
Old September 17th, 2008, 04:25 AM   #34
Trini2D Bone

Likes (Received): 7

Contracts in final stages, says Imbert
Construction of flyovers at El Socorro, Aranjuez
Juhel Browne [email protected]

Monday, September 15th 2008

Works and Transport Minister Colm Imbert says negotiations for contracts for the construction of flyovers at El Socorro and Aranjuez are now in the final stages.

The projects will be constructed to complement the Interchange now under construction at the Intersection of the Uriah Butler and Churchill- Roosevelt Highways, which is being carried out by Vinci Construction of France under the management of the National Infrastructure Development Company Ltd (NIDCO).

"We expect to get the necessary approvals within the next month or so. So that contracts can be awarded so that construction would begin to deal with the traffic lights at El Socorro and Aranjuez, making the Churchill-Roosevelt a truly grade separated highway all the way from Port of Spain, all the way down from San Fernando," Imbert said during his contribution to the debate on a motion of no confidence in Prime Minister Patrick Manning at the Red House, Port of Spain, on Friday,

Imbert added that the Works and Transport Ministry is also in the final stages of putting together the package for the grade separation of the Uriah Butler Highway and the Churchill-Roosevelt Highway at the Nestle intersection.

"So that when that is completed, the Interchange will become a full interchange so that all turning movements when you go from west to south, north to east, east to north, et cetera, all turning movements will then be separated by interchanges, flyovers, et cetera, Mr Speaker, and you will be able to drive as I said from Port of Spain to San Fernando without encountering a single traffic light," Imbert said.

Phase one of the Interchange project has already been completed and phase two or Package B is now under way.

http://www.trinidadexpress.com/index...e?id=161376009

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Seems like the interchanges at El Socorro and Aranguez will be coming off the ground soon.
Trini2D Bone no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2008, 07:39 PM   #35
Trinbago

Hey guys i was listening to the budget yesterday and although some element had me somewhat dissappointed what i found was interesting for infrastructure is this six lane freeway this is to be built. anybody has any more info about this?
Trinbago no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2008, 02:19 AM   #36
chrisknight2

Cool Diagonal highway

That idea about the North east highway sounds great..but there are a few hiccups. The Central range runs from South West to North East, along the diagonal that your proposed highway would run. It's like building a tunnel through the Northern Range length ways. Check Google Earth and turn on the elevation feature.

Even if you try to bypass it by going further east and accessing areas like Tabaquite and Biche you are passing dangerously close to protected wildlife in the Nariva Swamp.

If that isn't enough, consider how much longer that would make the highway and then think about how difficult it would be to find persons to work on the highway in an area as isolated as this. Nearly everyone there is into agriculture, not pile driving. Remember how long the North Coast highway took to fix? In fact its still under repair. That's cause the govt. decided to use local labour and since Min. of works engineers have a hard time monitoring a project in such an isolated location. A Curepe Princes Town route parallel to the SH highway would be much easier to manage.

I'm familiar with at least part of the route of the Point Fortin highway since NGC plans to build its Union Estate Pipeline very close to its right of way and I do pipeline license application approvals in the Min. of Energy.

For general information, the height of the Waterfront Tower C; the one next to the Hyatt that topped off first, is 120 meters (including the useless architectural slantways thing on the top) it is 111.25 meters from grade to roof. I have the architectural elevations from a friend in bouygues. This makes it the 7th tallest building in the Caribbean according to skyscrapercity.com ;

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=592512
Old September 28th, 2008, 12:57 AM   #37
Trini1

Likes (Received): 11

Chris, what you have said is very true. However in my defence the Central range starts from claxton and extends NE but only to Manzanilla so it wont actually be parallel as this highway would be in a more northern direction. If we look at a similar sized project the jamaica highway 2000, the mandeville to montego bay leg will traverse sparsely populated and very mountainous terrain. If foreign contractors are involved there will be less problems in allocating workers in the sparsley pop. central areas. But have you got any drafts/drawings of these new highway projects or the planned national grid?
Trini1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2008, 04:05 AM   #38
tdad&tgo

Likes (Received): 6

tdad&tgo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2008, 04:29 PM   #39
trin

Likes (Received): 184

As we're talking about highways (which I really hope means freeways, and I do like the idea of the diagonal SW to NE run) what is really the deal with this proposed causeway along the western peninsula.

Where is it to originate? Is it intended to by-pass POS, Diego Martin, West moorings etc? If not how is it going to tie back in to the existing infrastructure at these points? Where is it going to terminate? What are the costs differences associated with this option as opposed to an elevated freeway along a similar path to the western main road? We've heard of this proposal in at least 2 previous budgets, is this a serious proposal or one of Manning's castles in the sky?

Sorry I kinda hijacked the conversation, but being from the northwest this is a much needed project that hits close to home.
trin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2008, 11:52 PM   #40
chrisknight2

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trini1 View Post
Chris, what you have said is very true. However in my defence the Central range starts from claxton and extends NE but only to Manzanilla so it wont actually be parallel as this highway would be in a more northern direction. If we look at a similar sized project the jamaica highway 2000, the mandeville to montego bay leg will traverse sparsely populated and very mountainous terrain. If foreign contractors are involved there will be less problems in allocating workers in the sparsley pop. central areas. But have you got any drafts/drawings of these new highway projects or the planned national grid?
I don't have any drawings right now. The best I can do is tell you how the portions of the highway in the vicinity of Union Estate will run. There was an EIA for the Princes Town highway somewhere around the office too. I will have to get back to you on those matters.

Tags
autopistas, trinidad & tobago

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: