search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Latin American & Caribbean Forums > Latinscrapers > El Caribe | The Caribbean > El Caribe - The Caribbean > Foros locales de El Caribe - Caribbean Local Forums > Trinidad & Tobago Forum

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 65 votes, 5.00 average.
Old September 30th, 2008, 12:10 AM   #41
chrisknight2

Likes (Received): 0

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by trin View Post
As we're talking about highways (which I really hope means freeways, and I do like the idea of the diagonal SW to NE run) what is really the deal with this proposed causeway along the western peninsula.

Where is it to originate? Is it intended to by-pass POS, Diego Martin, West moorings etc? If not how is it going to tie back in to the existing infrastructure at these points? Where is it going to terminate? What are the costs differences associated with this option as opposed to an elevated freeway along a similar path to the western main road? We've heard of this proposal in at least 2 previous budgets, is this a serious proposal or one of Manning's castles in the sky?

Sorry I kinda hijacked the conversation, but being from the northwest this is a much needed project that hits close to home.
Your guess is as good as mine on that project. I believe that the causeway should begin right after Movietowne and then parallel the Western Main Road. It would save the Government the expense and engineering effort needed to carve into the mountainsides to expand the Main Road. The flat sections going through Carenage and Chaguaramas should be widened to four lanes, which should be simple enough. The cause way would serve as a bypass with several exits at convenient locations back onto the western Main road.
chrisknight2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 30th, 2008, 12:22 AM   #42
chrisknight2

Cool

In fact, there is little precedent in the world for the project I just proposed. Most causeways are built as long bridges with no branches.
Old October 1st, 2008, 09:44 AM   #43
Trini2D Bone

Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
As we're talking about highways (which I really hope means freeways, and I do like the idea of the diagonal SW to NE run) what is really the deal with this proposed causeway along the western peninsula.

Where is it to originate? Is it intended to by-pass POS, Diego Martin, West moorings etc? If not how is it going to tie back in to the existing infrastructure at these points? Where is it going to terminate? What are the costs differences associated with this option as opposed to an elevated freeway along a similar path to the western main road? We've heard of this proposal in at least 2 previous budgets, is this a serious proposal or one of Manning's castles in the sky?

Sorry I kinda hijacked the conversation, but being from the northwest this is a much needed project that hits close to home.
I understand where you're coming from. I'm from the west as well and I'm really interested in this project. I've heard that the government plans to relocate the port to Sea Lots and the Dock Road would be converted into a by pass for Wrightson Road.

This could possibly be the beginning of this proposed causeway. I really hope this is the case as a separate route other than Wrightson Road is sorely needed to try to ease the congestion in and out of the capital. Where it terminates is anyone's guess.

On a side note, I had also heard that there were plans to build a by pass for the four roads area starting somewhere before Victoria Gardens. This was most likely was a rumour though. I do hope that there are plans to address the congestion in this area. There is basically traffic throughout the day every day because of the gas stations and Starlite.
Trini2D Bone no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2008, 08:10 PM   #44
Trini1

Likes (Received): 11

Sure chris i am hoping that this will work, if not you can type Bilbao Supersur autopista on google and find the link there. thanks for looking for the princes town highway. We can do so much with this project, we could even have a spur(expressway)(from the foothills) leading to the waterfront/wrightson road/ movietown area.

<a href="http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=429395">http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=429395</a>

Last edited by Trini1; October 1st, 2008 at 08:22 PM. Reason: link didnt work
Trini1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2008, 08:36 PM   #45
Trini1

I guess you have to go to google because my link failed to work lol.
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=429395

Last edited by Trini1; October 30th, 2008 at 08:30 PM. Reason: I finally learnt how to give a link
Old October 4th, 2008, 01:27 AM   #46
tdad&tgo

Likes (Received): 6

image hosted on flickr
tdad&tgo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2008, 03:08 AM   #47
chrisknight2

Cool Overpass

The other overpass in the interchange is starting to take shape now.

image hosted on flickr
Old October 16th, 2008, 11:52 PM   #48
Trini1

Wow, dey not making joke with this project!
Old March 9th, 2009, 10:42 AM   #49
Trini2D Bone

Anybody have updates on the proposed interchanges at the El Socorro and Aranguez intersections? Last I heard the contract was supposed to be awarded late last year. Also, when is the interchange by Grand Bazaar supposed to be completed?
Old March 11th, 2009, 04:22 PM   #50
trin

Likes (Received): 184

The interchange at grand bazaar is about 80-90% completed as of now. The road deck has been cast as well as the safety barriers and both the southern and western ramps are at advanced stages. Once those are completed the ramps, approaches and the interchange it self need to be paved.
As for the flyovers at El Socorro and Aranguez, I haven't seen any work being done in these areas so if the contracts were awarded as was claimed, the contractors haven't begun the actual construction phase as yet.
trin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2009, 01:53 AM   #51
Trini1

Arrow Trinidad & Tobago | Highways

Here are some photos I saw on a site.

The Nestle Junction Flyover

The link to the page:

http://www.panoramio.com/map/#lt=10....&k=2&a=1&tab=1.
Old March 13th, 2009, 06:37 PM   #52
Trini2D Bone

Quote:

The interchange at grand bazaar is about 80-90% completed as of now. The road deck has been cast as well as the safety barriers and both the southern and western ramps are at advanced stages. Once those are completed the ramps, approaches and the interchange it self need to be paved.
As for the flyovers at El Socorro and Aranguez, I haven't seen any work being done in these areas so if the contracts were awarded as was claimed, the contractors haven't begun the actual construction phase as yet.

I just found this article in the Express.

French company gets $166.7m Aranguez Overpass contract
Friday, March 13th 2009

Cabinet yesterday approved the award of a $166.7 million contract to French company, Vinci, to design and build an overpass at the Aranguez junction, along with frontage roads.

Vinci is currently constructing the interchange at the intersection of the Uriah Butler Highway (UBH) and Churchill Roosevelt Highway (CRH)

Speaking at yesterday's post-Cabinet news conference at the Diplomatic Centre, St Ann's, Works Minister Colm Imbert said Vinci's price was $100 million lower than the next bidder.

Stating that the construction is expected to begin next month, Imbert said: "If all goes well, the Aranguez flyover, the feeder roads, access roads and frontage roads should be complete in September-October of 2010, by which time you would have a full freeway from PoS, all the way to San Fernando with no traffic lights."

Imbert said service roads would be done by the Ministry of Works at a cost of $60 million.

On the interchange at the UBH and CRH, he said Government expects to open that phase of the interchange at the end of April, barring unforeseen weather conditions and "assuming we are truly into the dry season". He said while this would help alleviate traffic, it could not by itself eliminate traffic congestion along the East/West Corridor.

http://www.trinidadexpress.com/index...s?id=161451312

If I'm not mistaken, Phase B of the interchange was supposed to be completed in December. So it's going to be 4 months late. I don't understand how all government projects seem to never be on time and there doesn't seem to be penalties for the contractors for the late delivery.

But at least we'll soon start to see some works starting at the Aranguez intersection. I saw a document like a year ago showing the different options for an interchange at the El Socorro and/or Aranguez intersections. I guess they opted to go with a simple diamond at Aranguez with frontage roads to connect to the El Socorro intersection.

From Imbert's comments it seems like the government realizes the need to convert the CRH into a true freeway. Hopefully they build interchanges at some of the other intersections to help alleviate the traffic problems.

Btw, nice pics trini1 and trin.
Old March 16th, 2009, 01:46 AM   #53
Trini1

What I want to know is-does anybody body have a sketch/drawing/illustration of the masterplan for the countries freeway/interchange project?
Old March 16th, 2009, 07:57 AM   #54
Trini2D Bone

Seems like the interchange at Aranguez is about to get underway.

http://www.newsday.co.tt/news/0,96594.html

I saw some alternatives for interchanges at El Socorro and/or Aranguez. It seems like they are opting for one interchange at Aranguez and frontage roads leading to the El Socorro intersection to remove the lights from there as well.

I really hope the government has further plans to convert the rest of the CRH into a freeway.
Old March 16th, 2009, 07:18 PM   #55
Trini1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trini2D Bone View Post
Seems like the interchange at Aranguez is about to get underway.

http://www.newsday.co.tt/news/0,96594.html

I saw some alternatives for interchanges at El Socorro and/or Aranguez. It seems like they are opting for one interchange at Aranguez and frontage roads leading to the El Socorro intersection to remove the lights from there as well.

I really hope the government has further plans to convert the rest of the CRH into a freeway.
That's GREAT news! Where did you see the alternatives/can you show us some of them? Is the Ministry of Works and Transport website back up it would be great to see it.
Old March 20th, 2009, 11:26 PM   #56
Babalawo

Churchill Roosevelt/Uriah Butler interchange looking shaping up well. hopefully they can fix it asap for non-stop Highway travel.
Babalawo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2009, 02:32 AM   #57
cantrini

Likes (Received): 1

hello, can someone tell me what they are trying to do with the Uriah/churchill interchange.
Are they trying to make it a free flowing interchange with NO stopping and NO traffic lights? Or is it just a free flowing link from southbound traffic to the west and vise versa??
cantrini no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2009, 07:21 PM   #58
Trini2D Bone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trini1 View Post
That's GREAT news! Where did you see the alternatives/can you show us some of them? Is the Ministry of Works and Transport website back up it would be great to see it.

Sorry I took so long. I've been real busy the past week. But here are the alternatives. They aren't much and I have no idea if these would be considered now since Vinci was recently contracted to do a design-build. I also included a drawing of the finished interchange at Grand Bazaar.

Old March 25th, 2009, 08:03 PM   #59
Trini1

I am all for the subforum it would be great!!!! So go on ahead! THANK YOU Trini2dbone. Wow the interchange projects looking real good!!!!!!!!!! I personally like the last design but that is possibly the most expensive alternative but all of them are great but the 3rd one the best in my opinion.
Old March 25th, 2009, 11:15 PM   #60
Trini2D Bone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trini1 View Post
I am all for the subforum it would be great!!!! So go on ahead! THANK YOU Trini2dbone. Wow the interchange projects looking real good!!!!!!!!!! I personally like the last design but that is possibly the most expensive alternative but all of them are great but the 3rd one the best in my opinion.
No problem. As I said before though I don't think any of these would be constructed because Vinci was recently contracted to do a design-build and I saw these alternatives more than a year ago. From what I gathered from the Newsday article I posted it would be some combination of Alternatives 1 and 2. They would build an interchange at Aranguez and have service roads from the El Socorro intersection so that the lights could be removed from there as well.

The document I got that from also had a lot of other stuff but nothing in detail. It compared the feasibility of building a causeway from POS into Diego Martin as opposed to widening the Diego Martin Main Road. It also had plans to reclaim land in the bay by the lighthouse and place a carpark there. I think it's all part of the East West corridor improvement works. How much of it comes off the ground remains to be seen.

Btw, has anybody heard anything at all about plans to continue the grade separation past the UBH/CRH intersection? After the interchange at Aranguez is finished there will be no lights for those heading south but what about those heading east? So has anyone heard of plans to build overpasses at Curepe, Macoya, etc?

Tags
autopistas, trinidad & tobago

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: