daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Liverpool Metro Area

Liverpool Metro Area 'Scouse Scrapers for both sides of the Mersey

Old May 30th, 2005, 12:18 PM   #1
Boombasticman

Likes (Received): 0

Regeneration outside the city centre

Hi, i'm new here

I was just wondering what sort of development/regeneration is happening outside the city centre.
Boombasticman no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old May 30th, 2005, 01:12 PM   #2
Accura4Matalan

Likes (Received): 331

As far as I'm aware, there isnt too much going on on the Liverpool side of the river except down near Otterspool where you have the Garden Festival being redeveloped and of course, Brunswick Quay. There is also an 11-storey building proposed at Runcorn.
There is a lot of interesting stuff going on in Wirral though, such as the Poseidon statue and the large scale redevelopment of New Brighton.
Accura4Matalan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2005, 02:28 PM   #3
Gareth
Keltlandia

Likes (Received): 60

Have a look at Martin's devopement summary which mentions things such as LFC's new staduim and Aintree Racecourse.

Another one not mentioned is the New Heartlands scheme.

New Heartlands

Most of us are critical of the scheme which appears to be commited to lower density housing in the inner city. There are also the city gateway improvement shemes such as the Edge Lane approach where the roads capacity is to be increased resulting in the demolision of many homes.
Gareth no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2005, 06:35 PM   #4
LABlue

Likes (Received): 71

Liverpool Land Company

These people are involved in a lot of the work going on outside the city centre -mainly on the approaches to the city.

http://www.liverpooldev.co.uk/index.asp
LABlue está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2005, 06:45 PM   #5
woody
Liverpool + Urmston

Likes (Received): 254

Angry Boombasticman, forget the crap posted belowby Accy...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accura_Preston
As far as I'm aware, there isnt too much going on on the Liverpool side of the river except down near Otterspool where you have the Garden Festival being redeveloped and of course, Brunswick Quay. There is also an 11-storey building proposed at Runcorn.
There is a lot of interesting stuff going on in Wirral though, such as the Poseidon statue and the large scale redevelopment of New Brighton.
Welcome, the first thing to know on this super forum is to forget all the crap that the Preston Prat utters.
There is plenty of activity outside the downtown area, details are a bit thin on the ground here as we concentrate on the big sexy jobs. take a look at Liverpool Land Development Co. www.liverpooldev.co.uk for information on projects in the 4 STRATEGIC INVESTMENT AREAS (SIAs). Over £325M is being invested in these four areas alone. Other sites that will give infirmation are, www.liverpool.gov.uk & www.merseyside.org.uk try these first.

As for that list of jobs posted by Preston Prat, they are all still on the drawing board.
Old May 31st, 2005, 10:15 AM   #6
Boombasticman

Thanks, I'm going to read all the links now.
Boombasticman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2005, 10:23 PM   #7
Gazzab

Welcome Mr Boombasticman.
Gazzab no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2005, 11:05 PM   #8
Ste

Likes (Received): 182

MAybe Project Jennifer could get a mention around the Scotland Rd/Gt Homer St area. Not much has happened apart from rumours. But at the moment there is a 4storey apartment block under construction which has sold out and phase 2 is about to start sson. Also a new centre for the NSPCC is planned where the indoor market is. I know its not 50 storey's but for this part of the city its a step in the right direction and I don't see why this area can't milk the city centre for all its worth!
Ste no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2005, 02:51 PM   #9
Blabbernsmoke
BANNED

Location: Beside the lake, Beneath the trees, Fluttering and dancing, In the Breeze
Likes (Received): 1

City sites in building deal Jun 9 2005

By Neil Hodgson, Liverpool Echo

BUILDER David McLean has clinched a landmark deal with an office developer worth £75m a year, which includes a new scheme in Liverpool.

Leeds-based Business Homes develops offices all over the UK and has 30 projects under way.

It was recently granted planning permission to start work on a development at Liverpool International Business Park, next to Liverpool John Lennon airport, big enough to cater for 200 jobs.

Business Homes chairman Simon Houlston also indicated a desire to develop a similar-sized adjacent scheme and also one in Wirral.

Under the agreement McLeans will build up to 250 units a year for Business Homes, worth £75m annually to the construction group.

David McLean Contractors group managing director Ken Dalton said: "This is an exciting opportunity for all concerned and we see it as the major achievement in being able to deliver this quality product for a guaranteed price throughout the country."

The builder is behind several major developments in Liverpool's regeneration, from student accommodation to luxury housing and hotels.

Business Homes provides modern, air conditioned units for offices and start-up firms. The Liverpool site will provide nine separate office units. Work should start in early July.

Mr Houlston said: "We build in phases and there will be four units in the first phase. All four are in solicitors' hands, so that means we will start to build the rest in six to eight weeks' time."

He said the four tenants included two airport- related companies, a software company and a media firm.

The company said it distinguishes itself from fellow developers by offering freehold packages on single floors, which encourages buy-to-let deals.

Mr Houlston added: "We are on the lookout for sites on Merseyside and we are very interested in the former Cammell Laird land and are keen to go there."
Blabbernsmoke no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2005, 09:33 PM   #10
woody
Liverpool + Urmston

Likes (Received): 254

Thumbs up Everton goes green...................

A 150 home green village is to be developed on a former tower block site in Everton at a cost of £18M. The design will be based on "green" ideas, high standards of insulation to cut fuel bills and appliances that use less water are proposed along with timber frame construction instead of concrete,the village will be built at the junction of Everton Brow and Salisbury St.
Old June 9th, 2005, 09:35 PM   #11
tommygunn

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody
A 150 home green village is to be developed on a former tower block site in Everton at a cost of £18M. The design will be based on "green" ideas, high standards of insulation to cut fuel bills and appliances that use less water are proposed along with timber frame construction instead of concrete,the village will be built at the junction of Everton Brow and Salisbury St.
this pleases me something being built for the average people of liverpool.
tommygunn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2005, 09:35 PM   #12
Scarecrow
Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

Likes (Received): 723

Sounds a bit like the planned 'green scheme' for the Dingle too. Not heard anything on that in a while..
Old June 30th, 2005, 02:52 PM   #13
Paul D
CENTRAL SCRUTINIZER

Likes (Received): 1603

The IKEA in Netherton has been approved.
Paul D no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2005, 03:21 PM   #14
Dicky Sam's
Lifer Pol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul D
Great news fo the city.

Its mad - even though I live in Liverpool, the Warrington Ikea is still easier for me to get to!!!
Dicky Sam's no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2005, 03:22 PM   #15
Paul D
CENTRAL SCRUTINIZER

Likes (Received): 1603

A new 300 million Alder Hey.
Paul D no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2005, 03:26 PM   #16
Scarecrow
Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

Likes (Received): 723

ASDA have applied for planning permission to build a 40,000 sq ft store on the TA base in Bootle, behind New Strand railway station too.
Old June 30th, 2005, 03:52 PM   #17
Dicky Sam's
Lifer Pol

Quote:

I love the Alder Hey hospital buildings. Its right by where I grew up and itís very close to where I now live. It will be a shame if it does get knocked down but itís obvious that the hospital doesn't meet with current NHS standards so it's definitely right to relocate. Perhaps it could it be converted to apartments?

If it was to be demolished I would hope that they keep the building that fronts Eaton Road then demolish the buildings behind it.

A prime site to relocate would have been the land off Edge Lane, next to the old John Moores Pools building, but I believe this area is now being developed for something else.
Dicky Sam's no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2005, 07:52 PM   #18
JUXTAPOL
800th birthday in 2007

Likes (Received): 5

It says the hospital could be relocated to stanley market...! Doesn't sound like an ideal place to me.

Hospitals these days need to be ultra modern, all in one, cheap and clean, so it's understandable new ones are replacing the old multi building hospitals, so hopefully Alder hey will be built on a new site, and the old site redeveloped for housing, with retention of the best bits of architecture.
JUXTAPOL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2005, 08:25 PM   #19
Dreamer
Let the Jam decide

Likes (Received): 61

Has anyone seen the plans for Woodside? could be good. The green scheme in Dingle is under construction - this is behind where I live!. Personally it would of been greener to of kept Corinth tower, more density = less travel to the city for work and shopping etc - they could of done a view 146 on it!.
Old June 30th, 2005, 08:31 PM   #20
liverpolitan

Quote:
Pity. Only a couple of weeks ago IKEA said they were going to trial a new 'city format' store because they were finding it so hard to get out-of-town and big sites these days. Liverpool City Centre has loads of empty sites around its periphery that would be suitable for a small IKEA. They should have turned this down and lured IKEA into the periphery of the centre. Isn't there loads of unused or underused space in and around the southern docks, Scotty Road and the central docks?
liverpolitan no está en línea   Reply With Quote