SkyscraperCity Forum banner

Miami Sports

1M views 7K replies 118 participants last post by  Aceventura 
#1 ·
Lebron James just announced he will "take his talents to South Beach" about 5 minutes ago, this is so exciting. Definitely one of the biggest days in Miami sports history, and I thought yesterday was huge, but today tops it.

#8 ·
One small note of caution here. As every analyst on ESPN has been pointing out, the Heat still has the rest of the roster to fill out and virtually no money left to do it because of the cap. That could make it difficult for the team to win a title right away, even with the immense talent of James, Wade, and Bosh. Still, you'd have to at least believe they'll contend right away and then have the chance to be completely dominant after Year One when they will have some more flexibility in upgrading the remaining roster.

It's really going to be fascinating, anyway. Every game will be an event.

I also think South Florida may be headed for a sweet era overall in pro sports. The Dolphins are on the rise, the Marlins (hopefully) will start spending a bit more as they prepare for the new ballpark, and the Heat just became one of the marquee franchises in any sport. Should be a fun ride!

#10 ·
DEFINITELY. The whole Eastern Conference seems to be on the rise. The Bulls are coming up, Boston is still extremely solid, everyone expects the Nets to be an up-and-comer with that gazillionaire Russian owner and the impending move to Brooklyn, Atlanta has a nice team---as does Milwaukee, and even the woeful Knicks got better with the Stoudemire signing.

Nobody's done as much improving as the Heat (that may be the biggest understatement in the history of the English language!) but there's still plenty of good competition around.

Been watching the Channel 10 feed on the computer, btw...there's some folks who are going to have a pretty good hangover tomorrow! :cheers:

#14 · (Edited)
Screw you Miami and screw you Lebron you overrated piece of egoistic shit.
:wallbash:
I hope you, Bosh and Wade get injured and miss the playoffs. :bash: :(((
What kind of person would miss out on Chicago or New York to go to an obscure franchise?
My guess is it isn't about the buildings. It's about the rings. And I agree. Once the chemistry is there and they get along, it'll happen.
I ain't happy about it, but it'll happen.​

I DID NOT MAKE THIS POSTING.
I POST IN BOLD PURPLE ONLY.
AND I COULDN'T GIVE A SHIT
ABOUT MIAMI, NEW YORK OR
CHICAGO.

#13 ·
Not just Wade, but having Lebron and Bosh now too is definitely going to call for some jealousy, and everyone from Miami should enjoy it. Trust me, I'm a Yankee fan, I hear critisizm 24/7 about how the Yankees buy their World Series etc. etc. Also a lot of people hate on the Lakers too, so obviously the Heat are doing the right thing :). Also I want to add that while these signings were huge, they still need a big man, it's too bad that Shaq already sold his house on Star Island lol.

#27 ·
The two aren't comparable. The Yankees literally DO buy championships and throw massive money around to cover mistake after mistake. They don't win much because they are a particular shrewd or smart organization.

The Heat aren't spending more then anyone else in this case. This is a case of three superstars afraid to lead teams to championships to warrant many accolades. Its both selfless and gutless by Bosh and Lebron particularly.

#20 · (Edited)
Lol @ There is already a Google search result for "Lebron James Heat jerseys".

http://dimemag.com/2010/07/lebron-james-no-6-miami-heat-jersey-now-available/

"LeBron James’ No. 6 Miami Heat Jersey Now Available. Wasting no time for Heat fans to get excited this summer, the NBA has rolled out LeBron James‘ new No. 6 Miami Heat jersey. While his Cavs jersey was ranked No. 2 on the NBA’s Most Popular Jersey List at the end of the season, it’s safe to say that LeBron’s new threads will top the charts this summer."

#23 ·
The effects are huge E. The recognition the team will have in China now will also draw interest to the city. The Heat will become a recognizable brand for billions, Micky may be able to establish increased connections and maybe grow Carnival in China as well. It may sound absurd if you have not been there, but do not underestimate the value of NBA star power in that country.

#36 ·
:eek:mg: :shocked: Look at all the people who showed up out of nowhere from all the other SSC forums.:smug:

#38 ·
As a life long Heat fan last night was pure jubilation! I thought the best point in Heat history was the the 2006 NBA Championship but this certainly ranks right up there.
LeBron left a lot of money in Cleveland to make this move to Miami and Bosh, Wade & James played together in 2008 at the Olympics and they obviously formed a bond there between the 3 of them.
People seem to forget that this is a business also and Lebron said last night that he thought the Cavs would eventually let him go.The man wants to be part of a winning team and of course that remamins to be seen in Miami but the top 3 free agents now belong to us!
Sorry Cleveland :( !

#39 ·
This is what we will have to get used to. Like the Yankees, the Heat will now be loved by their own fans and pretty much hated otherwise. That's just how it goes.

It's kind of ironic, since Wade, Bosh, and James have ALL been considered 'good guys' nearly universally but put them all together and the perception becomes that it's some kind of 'mercenary' team hellbent on destroying any competition. But such is the nature of sports fans.

Do I feel bad for the fans in Cleveland? Absolutely. I think LeBron does, too. It's his home and according to every report he tried VERY hard to stay there and recruit others (like Bosh) to come play there. But it didn't work and I certainly don't blame Riley and the Heat for planning ahead for the possibility of a free-agency coup and then making it all happen. If that makes them "bad guys" to a lot of people, so be it, but I think it's just doing their jobs very well.

And again, much remains to be done. Not many analysts expect the Heat to breeze their way to a title this first year with the trio with the rest of the roster so devoid of talent. That may well happen in future years, but those thinking they have suddenly destroyed all competition in the NBA are very mistaken.

But, hey, let 'em hate. The team and its fans can't be worried about that.

#59 ·
This is what we will have to get used to. Like the Yankees, the Heat will now be loved by their own fans and pretty much hated otherwise. That's just how it goes.
Yep...and in recent history when the Detroit Red Wings dominated, a great number of people hated them.

This seems like a new paradigm, and it is happening more and more in America.

Losers, as long as they are able to band together with other losers, seemed tasked to tear down winners.

Those that strive for excellence and accomplish it, should inspire others to achieve as well.

It used to be that excellence, accomplishment, and achievement were attributes that the majority of Americans championed.

#40 ·
The Miami Heat are not the most hated team in the NBA and perhaps all of American sports.

LeBron showed that he is an egotistical a$$hole after last night. He couldn't simply make a press release like most would have.

The pressure is now on the Heat and as a fan, I am worried. LeBron quite during the playoffs. He has never won an NBA title or truly elevated his teams in the manner Kobe of Jordan has multiple times.

#41 ·
Just because I'm a Heat fan, I'm not going to dismiss last night's televised spectacle as anything less than very poor judgement. There's far classier ways to go about it, and even though I'm happy I certainly understand why it is playing so badly nationally.

I don't agree it makes him an "asshole" (he's been a pretty good guy on balance) but perhaps LeBron might want to rely less on his 'entourage' of 20-somethings and more on mature management types who see the bigger picture.

There IS pressure on the Heat, to be sure. If this all doesn't result in multiple titles and a dynastic team, then it will be judged a failure and mocked forever. But certainly the OPPORTUNITY to create a 'Team for the Ages' exists...and I don't fault Riley and the Heat for going after it.

#50 ·
I agree somewhat. He took advantage of the situation and used it to promote himself while at the same time helped a lot of kids who need the help more than 99% of these bickering fans. And I'm from Ohio. We loved LBJ because he won for us, no more, no less. If he would have come to Cleveland and flopped we would have traded him and thought nothing of it, even if he was from Ohio.

I thought he was classy. He thanked all the teams involved and didn't say one bad thing about any of them, including Cleveland. He repeatedly said it wasn't about what was lacking in Cleveland but instead what would make him happy and help him to achieve his goals. He could have easily said hey I'm tired of carrying the load for 7 years, the couldn't get me a Pippen so I left to play with my boy Wade.

Lebron has made that city more money than he was ever paid. Unless you can show me where people supported him when he was a loser, then I think he doesn't owe Cleveland a thing.

They are trying to make it seem like they were with Lebron when he was a noboby and then he divorced them for some new hot young chick. But the truth is they were just the groupie that got to him first. He took them on a great ride and spent plenty money on them and then he realized he didn't want to marry them so he's on to a newer, younger, hotter looking one.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.