daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Fun Forums > Creative Corner > The Drawing Board > 2D Drawings

2D Drawings Showcase for your skyscrapers, skylines and urban art done in photoshop, paint or on paper

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 1st, 2004, 07:32 PM   #1
STR
What'u smokin' Willis?

Likes (Received): 55

Tips and Tricks

Designing and constructing paper skyscraper models definately has a learning curve to it. Yet, for some reason no one here has created a thread (as far as I know) meant to collect and tap this knowledge. So whatever you have learned either designing or assembling models, post it here.

Sponsored Links

Old November 1st, 2004, 07:39 PM   #2
STR
What'u smokin' Willis?

Use cardstock. It is far more durable, and easier to work with, than paper. Anyone wanting to build any of my models would be advised to use it. It doesn't warp (under most conditions), it keeps its shape much better. It also is almost impossible to get paper-cuts with it.

Whenever you're going to make a fold, make a little cut (1-2mm) at the ends of a fold. It greatly helps in getting the really straight and accurate fold that we all want.
Old November 1st, 2004, 08:36 PM   #3
Rainier Meadows
©

Likes (Received): 1

hey cool!
Old December 22nd, 2004, 06:54 AM   #4
Taylordaman

Likes (Received):

That's a good tip with the little cut.
Thanks!
Old February 16th, 2005, 02:31 AM   #5
STR
What'u smokin' Willis?

Lightbulb Tips for Designing Complex Objects

What I posted in this section is the result of 3-4 years of work on my skills. There really isn't one way to do it, as you have to develop your own methods. Some of my techniques may not work for, as alot of the designing involves mental work, and we're all wired differently. However, the following tips will send you in the right direction.

1 A very good attention to detail. Look closely at a building. Think about how the light plays on each element of the facade. Do the horizontal members cast a small shadow? What about the vertical elements?

Also, when looking at complex buildings, try to fiure what details are worth the effort. Try to capture the feel of the building, don't get dragged down into the minutia. If there is a tiny 2ft setback, ask yourself if people will recognize the tower, even without the setback.

2 Always remeber to put roofs on your buildings, make sure you have tabs where they are needed, and a base on the bottom.

3 Have a very, very good eye for color. Look at a greyish color. Is it completely grey? Is there a little bit of blue, or red in it? Can you refine it? How brilliant is the color? How does the real building look in various ligh conditons (cloudy, sunny, dawn/dusk)

4 Study how glass reflects. What does it reflect, how much detail? Does it blur? Does it have a tint?

5 Get a good image editing program. You can do the basic work in Paintbrush, but realism requires more. Adobe Photoshop is the best, but If you are cheap (and don't want to pirate PS) you have several free options. I'd recommend GIMP (google it); Picasa (picasa.com) or IrfanView (irfanview.com)

6 Work on your math. If you want to do anything more complex than cubes, you'll need a little geometry. Which formulas you use depends or your ability, education, and preference.

7 Think 3D, convert to 2D. If you were to look at my Sears Tower, having no idea it's supposed to be a building, you'd have no idea what to do with it. The key is to look at a building, break it down into separate, simple shapes, and take those 3-dimensional shapes and "un-fold" them on to 2-dimensional paper.

This is the hardest part, as this is not a skill, this is something you're either good at or you aren't. Spatial comprehension is a type of intelligence, some people are born with exceptional ability, some can't do it for the life of them. You can practice at it, by picturing and manipulating objects in your head, but if you suck at it, there is nothing I can teach you that will make it easier other than the two tips I've put here.
Old May 24th, 2005, 09:08 PM   #6
DRAKKO
New City!!!

Likes (Received): 6

tanks
DRAKKO no está en línea   Reply With Quote