SkyscraperCity Forum banner

PLYMOUTH | Beckley Court Student Accommodation | 78m | 22fl | Comp

103K views 413 replies 27 participants last post by  RickLW 
#1 ·
Beckley Court Student Accommodation
Armada Way, Plymouth, PL1 1LD

Height: 78m | Floors: 22 | Architect: Boyesrees | Client: Knightsbridge Student Housing Ltd.

Once completed, this will become the tallest building in Plymouth - after the Civic Centre, and one of the tallest buildings in the region.
The site is in a prominent location, at the northern end of Armada Way, facing onto the junction of Cobourg Street and Western Approach.
The new student accommodation will provide 500 en-suite high quality student rooms designed to be fully inclusive and accessible. The form of the tower within the design has a layered splay approach and a stronger connection at ground level. The tower’s corner magnificently protrudes out of the ground with recesses on either side, which enhances its presence and becomes a celebration of its height and grandeur.
To top it all off, there will be a common room at the top...

Here it is now: Untitled

A much welcomed improvement in my books!

See less See more
#346 ·
Just a little note....I did Google Beckley Point and went on reviews. It seems they are raving about it. I believe it will sell itself, even without advertising. The Sky lounge is a good idea, - probably worth losing the space for the benefits. I don't know if Crescent Point has one? You can actually ask them a question...as I am not going - I did'nt ask. Great views there as well. They are missing a trick if not!

#349 ·
I may write in one day and mention that the occupants are very happy there...and the building, its height, most of the finish and its lights at night are a great success. Never mind the "What....a monstrosity" (their favourite old round-shouldered word) lot who can't see beyond the scaffolding!!!

#352 ·
A nice building. The cladding looks better than the light cream wall we have now from this side. I was thinking that that white/cream render will not be well covered when the Mayflower House Tower goes up. There will still be plenty of render showing from the coach station area and particularly from the Drake Circus/ Cobourg St side.

#353 ·
Even though the building we have has exceeded my expectations, and confounded some concerns with the quality of the cladding, I think the the previous approved scheme looks superior in its renders owing to its smoother less cluttered mass and form and having cladding on all elevations instead of the rear rendered wall.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.