SkyscraperCity Forum banner

Discussions | Metropolitan Developments

2M views 10K replies 295 participants last post by  Damijanic91 
#1 · (Edited)
#2,042 ·
I went to quite a few in the UK which were just like Australian centres, and from what I have heard US ones are actually worse in general.
I went the two in the UK

Shephards Bush and Straford
nothing anywhere in Australia that i've been to has anything on either of them in.

I perfer Stratford, Its feels pretty much like a little town
the place is just massive, my favourite parts are the little high street kinda things outside

#2,043 ·
I think large shopping centres can be good if they are well designed, but most are rubbish.

I'd like to see Carousel expand towards the train line as part of a large scale, high density commercial, retail, entertainment and residential project but I can't see it happening in the near future.

#2,044 ·
I think large shopping centres can be good if they are well designed, but most are rubbish.

I'd like to see Carousel expand towards the train line as part of a large scale, high density commercial, retail, entertainment and residential project but I can't see it happening in the near future.
That's all part of the long term Cannington masterplan.

#2,045 ·
I went the two in the UK

Shephards Bush and Straford
nothing anywhere in Australia that i've been to has anything on either of them in.

I perfer Stratford, Its feels pretty much like a little town
the place is just massive, my favourite parts are the little high street kinda things outside
So basically two flagship super centres built in the last five years by an Australian company?

#2,048 ·
jonwil said:
I could see Galleria and/or Garden City getting bigger too if the business case is there...
Therein lies the rub. Rents are falling and soon you will see occupancy following. Shopping centers are not a good biz to be in right now. If Myer weren't already committed to Lakeside they wouldn't be going in there. If Myer weren't going in there Lend Lease wouldn't be doing this expansion. Don't expect to see other centres rushing off to build on any time soon, if ever in Perth's spread-out 'burbs.

#2,053 ·
perthgazer said:
The cannington 'masterplan' is dated 1993 or something like that and it's a bucket of lulz. A new Canning City Centre Activtiy Centre Structure Plan is currently being prepared by Hames Sharley and should be advertised in the coming weeks/months.
There's some preliminary stuff floating around regarding the CCC plan.

#2,054 ·
jonwil said:
Is the current retail environment likely to affect the next stage at Cockburn Central, the next stage at Ellenbrook or the expansion plans at Kwinana Hub?
Well I was wondering why nothing new was commencing at Cockburn Central apart from Kingston Apartments but it turns out they have only just released the stage 2 lots. So we will find out very soon if they sell or not.

As for the actual groundfloor retail tenancies in all the recently completed developments they all pretty much day sold or leased.

#2,057 ·
jonwil said:
I meant the changes at Cockburn shopping center (the second department store and etc) and the second department store at Ellenbrook shopping center.
yeah that is happening (cockburn). I live in Success and they have the plans on display in the shopping centre. It includes a 'main street'. I am looking forward to the stage after though as it will include cinemas.

#2,059 ·
Hi kids,

Quick update re my Maylands small apartment project.

Full internal renos on the existing duplexes are now both complete, one in August and one finished 2 weeks ago. External renos will be done late this year.

We received subdivision approval yesterday and will be applying for DA for the 5 apartments next week.

Hope to market them around March next year and complete mid 2014.

Gonna be:

2 older 2x1 duplexes, fully gutted and renovated (the only orignal things are the windows and 2 doors). pretty large courtyards, one around 50sqm and one around 30.

2 new 1x1s
2 new 2x1s
1 new 2x2

All with good size balconies/courtyards, storage areas, lockup garages etc. Still trying to do 1beds at 300-320k but wont know for sure until just before we hit the market.

Also looking at some other small sites in inner suburbs, more in the 7-10 apartment range. I'll do my bit for increasing density!