daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > London Metro Area > Completed projects

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 18th, 2015, 12:37 PM   #641
DarJoLe

Likes (Received): 2779

Sheer coincidence I imagine, but does the diagonal line across the roof correspond to the edge of the St Paul's sightline running across the site?
DarJoLe no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old May 24th, 2015, 12:21 AM   #642
London Homeboy

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Champ View Post
Wonder what the interior spaces are like?
From close up, all of the interior steel pillars are still exposed inside on most of the higher floors I can see from my building. Not much major fitting out happened as of yet, I can see anyway.

I note from the previous pictures some of the windows are being covered up (?)

Last edited by London Homeboy; May 24th, 2015 at 12:27 AM.
London Homeboy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2015, 08:15 PM   #643
DarJoLe

Likes (Received): 2779

This is pretty much there now, a few floors inside being fitted out.

It's truly abysmal. Although the lines are sharp and the metallic clad is a clean fit, the building itself is a bloated horror that just simply doesn't work in this tight City spot. The ground level, with its sheer blank walls and downdrafts is absolutely shocking, and the way people are forced through dark undercuts in the corners because the building couldn't adapt to the site is gruesome. It's clearly an oversized brute, with any artistic flair considered an afterthought and resulting in naff diagonals and cut outs that lack any sense of thought or contemplation of what this building adds to the locale. A prison for bankers and an outstanding example of the arrogance of the City and its future.

A word of warning, I was approached by a security guard outside not for taking a photo, but for simply standing to look at it. Thinking he was approaching me to discuss the building, I started up a conversation, only to be asked what I was doing and not to loiter in the vicinity. As I walked away and approached the other side of the square, I noticed another guard maintaining eye contact with myself and being radioed of my presence. I've never felt more unwelcome or felt to be a threat like that in my life, and if this is what is expected around this area for simply looking at a building I doubt I will return. An outstandingly horrific urban experience all round.

Old May 31st, 2015, 09:55 PM   #644
Tellvis

Likes (Received): 130

Did this building really come from the same pen that designed the beautiful gherkin?
Tellvis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2015, 10:22 PM   #645
SE9
South East Nine

Likes (Received): 24852

I haven't been stopped when taking photos of it (like the one below, taken last week), maybe because they're just passing mobile phone snaps:

5 Broadgate by SE9, on Flickr

Oversized is an apt description of the development. It's an unashamedly 'corporate' structure.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-
SE9 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2015, 08:54 AM   #646
gravesVpelli

Likes (Received): 1969

There is definitely a plethora of security guards around; clearly they feel important, probably having come off benefits and can maintain an appearance of superiority. I noticed this when I was last there. Really quite a boring and uninspiring job. But they are 'guarding' the whole estate.
gravesVpelli no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2015, 01:15 PM   #647
Avida Dollars

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarJoLe View Post
This is pretty much there now, a few floors inside being fitted out.

It's truly abysmal. Although the lines are sharp and the metallic clad is a clean fit, the building itself is a bloated horror that just simply doesn't work in this tight City spot. The ground level, with its sheer blank walls and downdrafts is absolutely shocking, and the way people are forced through dark undercuts in the corners because the building couldn't adapt to the site is gruesome. It's clearly an oversized brute, with any artistic flair considered an afterthought and resulting in naff diagonals and cut outs that lack any sense of thought or contemplation of what this building adds to the locale. A prison for bankers and an outstanding example of the arrogance of the City and its future.

A word of warning, I was approached by a security guard outside not for taking a photo, but for simply standing to look at it. Thinking he was approaching me to discuss the building, I started up a conversation, only to be asked what I was doing and not to loiter in the vicinity. As I walked away and approached the other side of the square, I noticed another guard maintaining eye contact with myself and being radioed of my presence. I've never felt more unwelcome or felt to be a threat like that in my life, and if this is what is expected around this area for simply looking at a building I doubt I will return. An outstandingly horrific urban experience all round.

I work in Broadgate Circle and you're right about the security guards - I was taking a photo of one of the statues outside UBS a few months back, and had one jog up to me, babbling something about terrorism. Scared me half to death. They're also a nuisance when you've finished work and are having a chat with colleagues outside the office. Even then they're milling around, ready to swoop in at any moment. If they're that paranoid about someone defiling their estate, they should make employees wear ID tags on the premises - as is required on many other estates/business parks around London.

But yes, I agree with all your comments re: the design of the new building. It is far too bulky, destroys the original symmetry of the circle, and its motifs look like the after-thought scribblings of a graphic designer doing the cover of a Pat Sharp video. Apparently, so someone at work told me, another one of the corner buildings may be going soon as well - to be replaced by the sleeker, curvier, vaguely streamline moderne proposal put in by Hopkins Architects. So an even more confused layout perhaps soon to follow.

For what it's worth, while I'm no huge fan of PoMo, I think the original beige colour offices of Broadgate are quite stylish. They're certainly unique - I've never seen anything quite like them anywhere. Given that a lot of what goes on inside them involves intelligence-gathering, the portcullis-style exteriors on the street side of the building are more pertinent than most people realise too.

Last edited by Avida Dollars; June 1st, 2015 at 01:34 PM.
Avida Dollars no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2015, 01:29 PM   #648
Avida Dollars

Quote:
Originally Posted by SE9 View Post
I haven't been stopped when taking photos of it (like the one below, taken last week), maybe because they're just passing mobile phone snaps:
You're on the street there, not on the estate itself, so probably outside their 'jurisdiction'.

Last edited by Avida Dollars; June 1st, 2015 at 01:34 PM.
Old June 1st, 2015, 01:47 PM   #649
jake-potato

Likes (Received): 343

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tellvis View Post
Did this building really come from the same pen that designed the beautiful gherkin?
It is a big stretch of the imagination to comprehend that the firm (and/or the people at the firm) behind this project – which has more in common with distribution warehouses you see on the M6 – had anything to do with the genius and elegance of the Gherkin. Here’s to hoping that the firm working on this fail to win another commission in the UK to avoid the repeat of a similar tragedy.

jake-potato no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2015, 02:23 PM   #650
potto

Likes (Received): 3255

It's what you get when you go all anti-skyscraper / anti-window, word of warning to the rest of London and those short-sighted newspaper commentators and nearby conservation groups

Having said that I don't mind it from the singular experience of a giant sculpture landing in from 1980s Tokyo and I find the all-weather shine appealing as a counter to the rather heavy and clumsy po-mo granite and terracotta's that fill the senses around here. It particularly looks great in juxtaposition with the stone circle and the rusted metal sculpture at the main entrance point.

It could have kept the same massive sculpture feel and been more joyful at ground level, incorporating some through routes and ground retail with some compromise from the client as you could imagine would have happened in 1980s Tokyo: dramatic funky shopping mall and free toilet facilities.

Pretty depressing as Darjole pointed out but I would say this was same for the wider estate which is basically this exact concept just on a larger scale and that was borrowed from Canary Wharf. All are inward looking and merely present a few entry points and air-vents/service bays to the original streets around. The City of London like Canary Wharf isn't exactly renown for their interesting master-planning.

I'm imagining the curvy building proposal that will link the triangle of Crossrail, Broadgate circle and Liverpool st Station will be more interesting in terms of routes and ground level.
potto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2015, 03:33 PM   #651
Shard-on

Likes (Received): 4

I don't have a huge problem with its design but I've never seen a building which displays as much hostility to its surroundings as this. A particularly unpleasant corporate footprint on London, with no regard for what it will look like in 30 years or so.
Shard-on no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2015, 04:51 PM   #652
SE9
South East Nine

Likes (Received): 24852

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avida Dollars View Post
You're on the street there, not on the estate itself, so probably outside their 'jurisdiction'.
I've taken plenty of photos of 5 Broadgate from within the estate too.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-
SE9 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2015, 07:16 PM   #653
Avida Dollars

Quote:
Originally Posted by potto View Post
All are inward looking and merely present a few entry points and air-vents/service bays to the original streets around. The City of London like Canary Wharf isn't exactly renown for their interesting master-planning.
Yes, and it's a shame: Exchange Square is a good public space, as is the amphitheatre bit of the Circle. It's just no one knows they're there.
Old June 1st, 2015, 07:22 PM   #654
Avida Dollars

Quote:
Originally Posted by SE9 View Post
I've taken plenty of photos of 5 Broadgate from within the estate too.

Maybe you got lucky then. Great pics by the way.
Old June 2nd, 2015, 01:35 AM   #655
NorthStar78

Likes (Received): 13

I'd happily nominate this for the carbuncle cup!

Last edited by NorthStar78; June 2nd, 2015 at 01:43 AM.
NorthStar78 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2015, 03:05 PM   #656
Interstat

Likes (Received): 14

Ironically, it looks even more 80s (and not in a good way) than the original Broadgate development, which at least attempted to be understated and classy. This looks more brash and like a cheap 80s development. I can't see it lasting for more than 25 years.

Mr Cladding liked this post
Interstat no está en línea   Reply With Quote