daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > Metropolis & States > Los Angeles > Los Angeles forums > Transportation-Infrastructure

Transportation-Infrastructure All about Bridges, Subways and Urban Transport, Railways, Maritime, Freeways and Highways » Aviation

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 18th, 2007, 01:00 AM   #1
jumping jupiter

Likes (Received): 0

Do we have a best Driving Short Cut Thread?

avoiding the freeways---

For example, trip from Mid City to LAX .

south on crenshaw to slauson..west on slauson to la cienega go south to La Tiera... the rest you all know.
jumping jupiter no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old June 18th, 2007, 01:28 AM   #2
solongfullerton

I'm sure most of you know this one, but if you're driving between WeHo and Hollywood proper, avoid SMB like the plague. Fountain is just a few blocks north of SMB and doesnt have nearly the traffic.
solongfullerton no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2007, 01:34 AM   #3
Fern~Fern*
☆Fern~Fern~Fern☆

Likes (Received): 153

...jumping jupiters this can't be.....

Getting back on to the topic: The fastest most convenient way to get from Mid~City to LAX is the following. Go west to La Brea turn left going southbound until Stocker Blvd then make a quick right. Then proceed about 1/4 mile west to La Cienega then turn left going south merge right onto La Tijera Blvd. Make a left on Airport Ave then a quick right on Century Blvd west until you get to Arrivals and departures lanes... Booya your there.... 15 minutes max even with traffic, or just follow the Cabs,Towncars and Limos since this is the quickest route they take to avoid the 405!
☆Fern~Fern~Fern☆
☆Fern~Fern☆
☆Fern☆
☆F☆
Fern~Fern* no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2007, 02:00 AM   #4
yerfdog

Getting from UCLA to downtown: Go over through Holmby Hills to Beverly Glen, take that south to Pico, take Pico WEST (i know it's counterintuitive) about 1/2 mile, then south on Motor to the 10
yerfdog no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2007, 02:55 AM   #5
Elsongs
"There It Is, Take It!"

Likes (Received): 2

My shortcuts are a secret. If I gave them all away they'd no longer work.
Old June 18th, 2007, 03:03 AM   #6
LosAngelesSportsFan

Likes (Received): 171

my favorite that i have shown to about 100 people in the last 2 years... to avoid the 110 mess around downtown, to get to the 5 or the 2 north, exit at any point, take Figueroa all the way to Caesar Chavez, right at the Super 8 by Dodger Stadium, left at Stadium Way, go down all the way through Elysian Park, make a left at Riverside and you can jump on the 5 or the 2. I always end up taking the scenic route to check out all the new developments, and its astonishing how much the area around Expo park / USC has changed in the last 5 years.

Another short cut, take Figueroa instead of the 110 south, all the way to the 105, and you can access any of the cities in the area from there.
LosAngelesSportsFan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2007, 08:58 AM   #7
dlbritnot

Likes (Received): 1

The fountain ave. side-cut is the most valuable thing when driving around Hollywood.
dlbritnot no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2007, 10:38 AM   #8
Elsongs
"There It Is, Take It!"

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlbritnot View Post
The fountain ave. side-cut is the most valuable thing when driving around Hollywood.
Also makes a good biking route...I gave up on parking at Amoeba Music so I ride my bike there (they got bike parking too!), I take Fountain straight until Cahuenga then hang a right.
Old June 18th, 2007, 06:32 PM   #9
jumping jupiter

always, always take San Vicente when you can.
Old June 18th, 2007, 06:33 PM   #10
jumping jupiter

oh, and Wilcox often is a preference over Vine.
Old June 18th, 2007, 06:34 PM   #11
jumping jupiter

Quote:
Originally Posted by yerfdog View Post
Getting from UCLA to downtown: Go over through Holmby Hills to Beverly Glen, take that south to Pico, take Pico WEST (i know it's counterintuitive) about 1/2 mile, then south on Motor to the 10
now you see I would offer up...beverly glen south to Olympic and just take Olympic East.
for the most part I prefer Olympic to the 10.
Old June 18th, 2007, 06:44 PM   #12
jumping jupiter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LosAngelesSportsFan View Post
my favorite that i have shown to about 100 people in the last 2 years... to avoid the 110 mess around downtown, to get to the 5 or the 2 north, exit at any point, take Figueroa all the way to Caesar Chavez, right at the Super 8 by Dodger Stadium, left at Stadium Way, go down all the way through Elysian Park, make a left at Riverside and you can jump on the 5 or the 2. I always end up taking the scenic route to check out all the new developments, and its astonishing how much the area around Expo park / USC has changed in the last 5 years.

Another short cut, take Figueroa instead of the 110 south, all the way to the 105, and you can access any of the cities in the area from there.

We went to Dodger Stadium on Opening DAy this year...

we went East on Beverly we veered on to Temple... then we stayed on Temple until we got to Douglas. We turned left on Douglas (crossing over the 101) ...cut through Carroll Avenue Enclave...(angelino heights)...always admiring the most concetrated collection of Victorian homes... continue on Douglas to Sunset which has a light and then sneak onto Lilac Terrace which takes you to Dodger Stadium parking lot.

http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp...3d&ambiguity=1
Old June 18th, 2007, 08:01 PM   #13
Fern~Fern*
☆Fern~Fern~Fern☆

Likes (Received): 153

When in the Valley try taking Chandler Blvd. This sure is the quickest way from the Orange/Red Line to Van Nuys Blvd. Avoid Burbank and Magnolia if possible. Sometimes Riverside is a good quick route from Van Nuys Bl to Toluca Lake.
☆Fern~Fern~Fern☆
☆Fern~Fern☆
☆Fern☆
☆F☆
Fern~Fern* no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2007, 08:05 PM   #14
jumping jupiter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferneynism View Post
When in the Valley try taking Chandler Blvd. This sure is the quickest way from the Orange/Red Line to Van Nuys Blvd. Avoid Burbank and Magnolia if possible. Sometimes Riverside is a good quick route from Van Nuys Bl to Toluca Lake.

oooh, chander. good one.
Old June 19th, 2007, 01:29 AM   #15
godblessbotox
la is pritty

Likes (Received): 12

um... dont drive down valley?

me+flickr=joy
godblessbotox no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2007, 06:58 PM   #16
LAsam
Endless summer

Driving through Beverly Hills avoid SMB... go one block N and take the neighborhood street that runs parallel.
LAsam no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2007, 07:59 AM   #17
jumping jupiter

When going east or west and you want to avoid olympic or wilshire..

one word: OHIO!
Old July 19th, 2007, 09:34 AM   #18
phattonez
Bleed Dodger Blue

If you are ever driving through the San Gabriel Valley during rush hour here's what you do.

If going to Arcadia or West, use Huntington Dr. It's like a ground level highway.

If you are going past Arcadia, use Las Tunas Dr. It then turns into Live Oaks Ave. and then Arrow Hwy. It's a great shortcut to Irwindale. However, there's another way if you want to get to any of the Foothill Communities, there's another shortcut, but that one's for locals.

"A wicked man puts up a bold front, but an upright man gives thought to his ways." - Proverbs 21: 29

Beer, Guns, and Baseball

Take Down All Stop Lights
phattonez no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2007, 07:51 AM   #19
yerfdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumping jupiter View Post
When going east or west and you want to avoid olympic or wilshire..

one word: OHIO!
Unless I'm thinking of something different, no way
have you ever tried to cross sepulveda on ohio? (or turn left from ohio on sepulveda, either direction)

wait, is there a different Ohio than the one in Westwood? That one doesn't even go very far - the east end is west of the country club, and then on the west end, it ends before Bundy where Sta Monica crosses it ( although it does sort of restart and turn into broadway and continue through Sta Monica)

How about this, when you are driving north into the Valley, cleverly avoiding the 405 because it is jammed and driving on Sepulveda instead, do NOT keep on Sepulveda in Sherman Oaks under the 405. Instead, make a left at either the little side street right before th 405 where the offramp from the 405S comes off, go the like 50 feet to the stop sign, right on Sherman Oaks Ave, and then take that to Ventura (do not be misled by the circular block).

This doesn't give you as much of an advantage as it used to when the onramp to the 405N was still under construction and that section of Sepulveda before VEntura was even worse. But it's still bad. Even if you have to end up Sepulveda, you will still come out ahead just driving straight to Ventura going right on that, and making a left on Sepulveda.

Partially this is because Sherman Oaks Ave ends at Ventura directly across from the offramp/onramp to the 405S, so the light has to stop Ventura pretty often, unlike most of the other little side streets along Ventura there.
yerfdog no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2007, 09:41 PM   #20
LAsam
Endless summer

Alright, I need some advice here! Gotta get from SMB & Barrington to Dodger Stadium during rush hour. What's the best option here? Thanks!!
LAsam no está en línea   Reply With Quote