daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Asian Forums > Philippine Forums > Around the Philippines > Photography, Heritage and Architecture

Photography, Heritage and Architecture Participate in the FPC, the weekly Filipino Photo Contest

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 29th, 2005, 02:42 AM   #1
Sinjin P.
Lingkod-Bayan

Likes (Received): 506

Philippine Styles, Fashions, and Design Trends

Generation X and Generation Y, please post pics and info's about the latest gadgets, accessories and kikay stuff of Philippine Fashion...

Sponsored Links

Old August 29th, 2005, 02:42 AM   #2
Sinjin P.
Lingkod-Bayan

Likes (Received): 506

Traditional Filipino Costumes and Contemporary Fashions

Generation X and Generation Y, please post pics and info's about the latest gadgets, accessories and kikay stuff of Philippine Fashion...
Old August 29th, 2005, 03:25 AM   #3
bagel
Member, Winifred Fan Club

Likes (Received): 35

Whatabout us in "Generation Y-not?"

I am the original thread killer.
bagel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2005, 03:25 AM   #4
bagel

Whatabout us in "Generation Y-not?"

Old September 15th, 2005, 06:56 PM   #5
kiretoce
I got my eye on you.

Likes (Received): 257

Barong barges into the future
By Alex Vergara Inquirer News Service Sept 15, 2005

One can only do so much with the traditional embroidered barong without desecrating it, says Barge Ramos. But this hasn't stopped the seasoned designer from pressing on in his quest to reinvent the Filipino formal wear.

Ramos began breaking grounds in 1985 with a barong exhibit at the old Ayala Museum. Veering away from embroidered floral and geometric prints that were the norm during those days, he introduced, and later improved on, such techniques as hand-painting and photo silk-screening ethnic patterns on piña and jusi.

Through the years, Ramos has also perfected the process of dyeing and combining hand-woven fabrics, such as piña, with abaca. He further tweaked the barong by incorporating new and untried fibers such as maguey.

Dyeing, by the way, is a painstaking process. As if dyeing jusi isn't difficult enough, designers like Ramos have to first "degum" the fabric (a byproduct of silk) by soaking the stuff in boiling water. Only after the fabric's chemicals have been dissolved can they embark on the dyeing process.

"I've also done Tingguian, Tinalak and anting-anting (amulet) patterns using subtle color palettes," he says.

It was only a matter of time before Ramos drew inspiration from popular images such as stamps, jeepneys and the country's rich flora and fauna. Although the designer is not known to wear his nationalism on his sleeves, his interest in promoting new ways of treating the barong stemmed from an equally noble pursuit.

Endangered patterns

"In the course of my research years ago," he says, "I learned that certain ethnographic patterns that were once endemic in the Philippines were in danger of disappearing for good. I decided to reproduce some of these patterns with the barong as my canvas."

Although Filipinos by and large are still traditional when it comes to many things (including their barongs), there has been a growing number of straight men who prefer avant-garde barongs for special occasions, including their weddings. These are guys who desire to look different from their dads and granddads, says Ramos.

If you want to try something new, but feel a bit unsure, it's best to start with simple photo silk-screened designs such as small ikat patterns in white over an ecru background, says the designer.

"The challenge to designers like us," he adds, "is to be able to incorporate various aspects from other cultures in the barong without disregarding certain traditions that Filipinos hold dear."

Ramos will further push such traditions to the limits when he holds a barong exhibit sometime next month in Yokohama, Japan.

The event, which will also showcase a collection of Philippine dolls, coincides with joint celebration of the 40th year of Manila and Yokohama as sister cities.

The event is a prelude to a fashion show and Santacruzan early next year featuring Filipino designers. For his part, Ramos plans to come up with updated and improved versions of his stylized barongs.

Three-dimensional effect

Apart from using bold colors such as orange, turquoise and lime as backdrops for his printed pieces, some of the images found in his barongs are now "layered" and adorned with appliqué for a three-dimensional effect. He also makes use of vintage fabrics, which he updates with new forms of embellishment. One such labor-intensive piece, for instance, is spruced up with tassels made of braided piña.

Despite being open to new and radical approaches to redefine the barong, Ramos draws the line at beadwork. He will not use sequins or glittery stones on his barongs. He is willing to concede to materials such as wooden beads or mother of pearl, but nothing shiny or glittering, please. There's definitely no room on the Philippine barong for Las Vegas.
Old September 15th, 2005, 06:56 PM   #6
kiretoce
I got my eye on you.

Barong barges into the future
By Alex Vergara Inquirer News Service Sept 15, 2005

One can only do so much with the traditional embroidered barong without desecrating it, says Barge Ramos. But this hasn't stopped the seasoned designer from pressing on in his quest to reinvent the Filipino formal wear.

Ramos began breaking grounds in 1985 with a barong exhibit at the old Ayala Museum. Veering away from embroidered floral and geometric prints that were the norm during those days, he introduced, and later improved on, such techniques as hand-painting and photo silk-screening ethnic patterns on piña and jusi.

Through the years, Ramos has also perfected the process of dyeing and combining hand-woven fabrics, such as piña, with abaca. He further tweaked the barong by incorporating new and untried fibers such as maguey.

Dyeing, by the way, is a painstaking process. As if dyeing jusi isn't difficult enough, designers like Ramos have to first "degum" the fabric (a byproduct of silk) by soaking the stuff in boiling water. Only after the fabric's chemicals have been dissolved can they embark on the dyeing process.

"I've also done Tingguian, Tinalak and anting-anting (amulet) patterns using subtle color palettes," he says.

It was only a matter of time before Ramos drew inspiration from popular images such as stamps, jeepneys and the country's rich flora and fauna. Although the designer is not known to wear his nationalism on his sleeves, his interest in promoting new ways of treating the barong stemmed from an equally noble pursuit.

Endangered patterns

"In the course of my research years ago," he says, "I learned that certain ethnographic patterns that were once endemic in the Philippines were in danger of disappearing for good. I decided to reproduce some of these patterns with the barong as my canvas."

Although Filipinos by and large are still traditional when it comes to many things (including their barongs), there has been a growing number of straight men who prefer avant-garde barongs for special occasions, including their weddings. These are guys who desire to look different from their dads and granddads, says Ramos.

If you want to try something new, but feel a bit unsure, it's best to start with simple photo silk-screened designs such as small ikat patterns in white over an ecru background, says the designer.

"The challenge to designers like us," he adds, "is to be able to incorporate various aspects from other cultures in the barong without disregarding certain traditions that Filipinos hold dear."

Ramos will further push such traditions to the limits when he holds a barong exhibit sometime next month in Yokohama, Japan.

The event, which will also showcase a collection of Philippine dolls, coincides with joint celebration of the 40th year of Manila and Yokohama as sister cities.

The event is a prelude to a fashion show and Santacruzan early next year featuring Filipino designers. For his part, Ramos plans to come up with updated and improved versions of his stylized barongs.

Three-dimensional effect

Apart from using bold colors such as orange, turquoise and lime as backdrops for his printed pieces, some of the images found in his barongs are now "layered" and adorned with appliqué for a three-dimensional effect. He also makes use of vintage fabrics, which he updates with new forms of embellishment. One such labor-intensive piece, for instance, is spruced up with tassels made of braided piña.

Despite being open to new and radical approaches to redefine the barong, Ramos draws the line at beadwork. He will not use sequins or glittery stones on his barongs. He is willing to concede to materials such as wooden beads or mother of pearl, but nothing shiny or glittering, please. There's definitely no room on the Philippine barong for Las Vegas.
Old September 15th, 2005, 07:21 PM   #7
bagel

Yikes... those are not very pleasing to the eye. When it comes to traditional clothing, I think that simpler is better. What is the reason for bringing the barong "to the future?" Are these expected to be formal wear? It's like tuxedos. People can wear powder blue tuxedos, but they do not carry the same classic and classy air that traditional blacks, with or without tails, do.

Old September 15th, 2005, 07:21 PM   #8
bagel

Yikes... those are not very pleasing to the eye. When it comes to traditional clothing, I think that simpler is better. What is the reason for bringing the barong "to the future?" Are these expected to be formal wear? It's like tuxedos. People can wear powder blue tuxedos, but they do not carry the same classic and classy air that traditional blacks, with or without tails, do.

Old September 15th, 2005, 08:13 PM   #9
dancethingy

Likes (Received): 4

I second that Baha, those barong designs are blinding.

I think Filipino fashion should convey a sense of chillaxation (i love that word), lightness, and simplicity.

I personally love United Colors of Benetton, but that isn't Filipino, so that doesn't count.
dancethingy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2005, 08:13 PM   #10
dancethingy

I second that Baha, those barong designs are blinding.

I think Filipino fashion should convey a sense of chillaxation (i love that word), lightness, and simplicity.

I personally love United Colors of Benetton, but that isn't Filipino, so that doesn't count.
Old September 15th, 2005, 08:32 PM   #11
sandrin
BANNED

Likes (Received): 9

This one looks neat to me.
sandrin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2005, 08:32 PM   #12
sandrin
BANNED

Likes (Received): 9

This one looks neat to me.
sandrin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2005, 08:44 PM   #13
Lili
The Original is The Best

Likes (Received): 8

I prefer that simple barong, too. No need to embellish it or come up with loud colors.
Lili no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2005, 08:44 PM   #14
Lili
The Original is The Best

I prefer that simple barong, too. No need to embellish it or come up with loud colors.
Old September 15th, 2005, 09:15 PM   #15
kiretoce
I got my eye on you.

A two-toned (maybe even three) barong is okay, but one with the whole spectrum of the rainbow is a bit too much. It'll only make it look garrish and gaudy. Come to think of it, it's been a while since I last donned a barong, I believe I was seventeen the last time I wore one.
Old September 15th, 2005, 09:15 PM   #16
kiretoce
I got my eye on you.

A two-toned (maybe even three) barong is okay, but one with the whole spectrum of the rainbow is a bit too much. It'll only make it look garrish and gaudy. Come to think of it, it's been a while since I last donned a barong, I believe I was seventeen the last time I wore one.
Old September 15th, 2005, 09:19 PM   #17
Lili
The Original is The Best

When I get married, I'd like to wear the traditional Maria Clara dress made of traditional jusi or pinya and the groom wearing an understated barong. But I can only do that if I marry in Pinas.
Old September 15th, 2005, 09:19 PM   #18
Lili
The Original is The Best

When I get married, I'd like to wear the traditional Maria Clara dress made of traditional jusi or pinya and the groom wearing an understated barong. But I can only do that if I marry in Pinas.
Old September 15th, 2005, 09:27 PM   #19
dancethingy

That would be so nice Lili. I love the Maria Clara that Ms. Philippines wore this year at the Ms. Universe pageant. you can do so much with a Maria Clara. There something about it that also makes a woman looks so matronly and powerful. Go for it. Don't forget to get a matching umbrella, it would be great during the photo shoot. Always wear pearls with it. Don't ever use pink for a Maria Clara, it takes away from its stately feeling.
Old September 15th, 2005, 09:27 PM   #20
dancethingy

That would be so nice Lili. I love the Maria Clara that Ms. Philippines wore this year at the Ms. Universe pageant. you can do so much with a Maria Clara. There something about it that also makes a woman looks so matronly and powerful. Go for it. Don't forget to get a matching umbrella, it would be great during the photo shoot. Always wear pearls with it. Don't ever use pink for a Maria Clara, it takes away from its stately feeling.