10x League:
1900, 1901, 1911, 1914, 1916,
1923, 1932, 1937, 1992, 1998

7x Cup:
1949, 1950, 1976, 1985, 1996,
1997, 1999

PICS
http://arenastaden.se.loopiadns.com/swedbank_arena_bildbank.php

The old national arena in Stockholm will be renovated and will be done year 2010, from 37.000 seats to 50.000 with a roof.

See less See more
#93 ·
No, it's not under construction. They planned to start building it at June 5th with Swedish football star Zlatan Ibrahimovic there to "put glamour" to the project. But that never happened and now it's status quo and has been at 18% progress for a long time now.
The Swedish premier league team AIK which should be the one who play there most of the time, is looking for the opportunity to buy their current home ground Råsunda (cap 34 000). Which they will renovate to fit their desire of seize and they also want to get all the money from restaurants and merchandise on their matches. Which the Swedish FA not let them get on Swedbank Arena

The problem for AIK is that it’s the Swedish FA who own Råsunda and they will of course rather see that AIK play on Swedbank Arena. They even got out to the media and said that they have sold Råsunda and the ground around it to PEAB a big real-estate developer and that PEAB will build apartments there Råsunda now is located. That proved to be false…

So right now it’s all status quo.

Sorry for my english ^^

#98 ·
The fact is that the stadium is going to be to big for AIK. Their average attendance is around 20 000, and that is the best it has been in history. It's not realistic that they would double their attendance.

They would not own their own events. That means that money for things sold in the stadium during games, food and drink for example, would not go to AIK.
Other teams in Sweden like Malmö FF, Elfsborg and Kalmar own their stadiums and get 100% of the revenues.

Swedbank Arena will be a world class arena, but it is not going to be a good deal for AIK.

#101 ·
^^ I guess there could be quite a big use for this stadium for concerts during non-summer time. But then why put in natural grass?

I have said it before, this stadium is likely to be the football equivivalent of Globen - way too large for domestic use, too small for being a global stadium. The formal criteria for CL finals are 50000, but there are plenty of 65000+ candidates to hold the CL final...

#102 ·
Why would you want to build a stadium that can host AIK games 15 times a year, when you can build a stadium that can host much bigger events 30- 80 times a year? You have to stop thinking of Swedbank like a stadium for football only, and a stadium like råsunda where AIK is it's biggest tenant. Swedbank is not primarily built for football.

#103 ·
^^ Well, sure, I can agree with you that it is not primarily used for football.

But

1. For what exactly can it be used? Apart from 20 football games, i guess we will see:
* indoor athletics 1-2 times, perhaps a euro/world indoor athletics championship.
* the bandy final
* 15 concerts/year
* Speedway GP
* Melodifestivalen

2. Is it viable to have natural grass in a stadium that is primarily not built for football?

3. if this project is such a good idea, why does not a private investor build this stadium (by financing on its own or perhaps put the company on the stock market). Why does the swedish state (via AB Jernhusen) have to be involved?

Please show me a viable financial plan that shows how this stadium is gonna be paid.

#104 · (Edited)
I am not going to defend the financial plan for the stadium. I myself have serious doubts that the Swedbank will be a financial success.

About the grass, I talked to a person involved in the project and he said that they would probably not have grass in the stadium most time of the year. He also mentioned that they work together with other big stadiums in Europe, such as veltins, and wembley that put together events that tour these stadiums. That means you could see everything from opera to sailing events on Swedbank.

#111 ·
^^We don't need any alternatives, we're getting this stadium completed, i don't care if it's too large or if the Swedes prefer economy-sized buildings.

#116 · (Edited)
^^ The Stadium will have it's own railway station and it is walking distance to two Metro stops, Solna Centrum and Näckrosen. In the future, you'll also be able to take the Crossways line (it is a light rail line transit in the suburbs of Stockholm) to the stadium.

#123 ·
weired construction :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.