daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > Africa > North Africa > Maroc > Photography & architecture > General photography & Videos

Old March 2nd, 2011, 11:05 PM   #1
Tim Cullis
Adventurer

Likes (Received): 0

Morocco then (1970s) and now

I was looking through old photos from our honeymoon trip in 1974 and I thought I recognised the Taourirt Kasbah in Ouarzazate which was built by the Glaoui family. I tried to remember the position the photo was taken from and one of my trips last year I took another from roughly the same position.

In July 1974 Ouarzazarte was tiny, comprising mainly the garrison around the central hilly area plus a Club Med vacation village, now it's a major city.

Dades, Todra and Tinerhir pics

The stony piste in the lower section of the Dades has now been replaced by a smooth tarmac road

1974: Another inside the Todra narrow section

In the 1974 shot of our Triumph Vitesse convertible fording the Todra you can see two bushes in the rock face which are still there 30-odd years later

In 1974 the Tinerhir oasis was largely undeveloped but by 2005 had quite a lot of housing

Marrakech

Some handsome hippy!

1972 trip: OK, I'm on a roll now. These are some pics from my first ever visit in May 1972 in a short-wheelbase 1949 Series I Landy that did 11 litres/100km petrol and about 6l/100km on oil.

I thought I had no more comparatives then when scanning realised I recognised the scene above as the Tizi n'Test when it was still piste all the way. The 2010 photo is nearly the same spot looking north towards Ijoukak from the photo spot near the radio masts

In the near-desert close to Goulamine. With four of us in the Landy things were a bit tight.

1970s bike tour: And finally some pics of the bike I took, a TriBSA 750 (650cc bored out) with close ratio RRT2 gearbox, rear sets and clip ons. Whilst I was in Morocco the air force tried to assassinate King Hassan II by shooting down his jet, so things were a bit fraught.

The pic is in Spain, unfortunately I can't find any pics of the bike actually in Morocco.

Tim
Tim Cullis no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old March 3rd, 2011, 01:43 AM   #2
madao
casablanca

Likes (Received): 55

Respect! Thank you very much for the photo's... You're always welcome in Morocco
madao no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2011, 03:50 AM   #3
mouamim
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

I like you man!!! thanks a lot for this thread!!
mouamim no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2011, 06:09 AM   #4
Gadiri

Likes (Received): 1390

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Cullis View Post
I was looking through old photos from our honeymoon trip in 1974 and I thought I recognised the Taourirt Kasbah in Ouarzazate which was built by the Glaoui family. I tried to remember the position the photo was taken from and one of my trips last year I took another from roughly the same position.

In July 1974 Ouarzazarte was tiny, comprising mainly the garrison around the central hilly area plus a Club Med vacation village, now it's a major city.

Dades, Todra and Tinerhir pics

The stony piste in the lower section of the Dades has now been replaced by a smooth tarmac road

1974: Another inside the Todra narrow section

In the 1974 shot of our Triumph Vitesse convertible fording the Todra you can see two bushes in the rock face which are still there 30-odd years later

In 1974 the Tinerhir oasis was largely undeveloped but by 2005 had quite a lot of housing

Pictures are exactly at the same place ! Thank you very much.

A ne pas rater : Les arabes et Hollywood <<<< =======

No te pierdas : Los árabes y Hollywood <<<< =======

Gadiri no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2011, 09:52 AM   #5
teystoon
Live and Let Live !!

Likes (Received): 166

beautiful pictures !!thank you for sharing.. hope u had a blast during your honeymoon
teystoon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2011, 11:24 PM   #6
elielian

Likes (Received): 4

i love it so much
and of course you're welcome in morocco anytime
elielian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2011, 11:37 PM   #7
bathman
Proud Amazigh..

Likes (Received): 154

thanks for the pictures.. i hope you enjoyed the the trip