daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States Urban Issues > Northeast and MidAtlantic

Northeast and MidAtlantic » Development News | Includes DC, MD, DE, PA, NJ, NY, CT, RI, VT, NH, MA, ME

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 21st, 2015, 05:07 PM   #3321
xzmattzx
Philly sports fan

Likes (Received): 1949

Have you guys ever seen anything interesting on one of the lakes before? I ask because there was a waterspout that hit the Jersey Shore last month, which got some attention from social media, and it reminded me that waterspouts have been spotted on Lake Erie before. I've never seen one myself, but I was up there at the family cottage one time when one was spotted somewhere in the easternmost part of Lake Erie, way back about 10-15 years ago.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
xzmattzx no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old August 12th, 2015, 12:07 AM   #3322
xzmattzx
Philly sports fan

I had a chance to talk to someone born in 1935 who remembers Buffalo from around World War II. Here were some stories he told me:

~ Back in the early days of the Peace Bridge, in the late 1930s and early 1940s, Customs in Canada would ask for your car registration papers. Customs would then keep the papers and post them on a big board for when you were getting ready to go back into the US. This was done because cars were much more expensive in Canada at the time, and it was worth driving over in two cars and selling one in Canada, so keeping registration prevented this.
~ On the note of Customs, it was a big hassle back then to go through Customs, either way, but for Americans, especially into Canada. Going through Customs is pretty quick and easy now, according to this guy.
~ Ships used to dock in the Erie Canal, meaning the part of the Niagara River sectioned off by the Bird Island Pier and Squaw Island, in the winter. The ships would be towed over to the grain elevators for unloading as needed, until the ice freed up and the ships could leave for other ports.
~ There used to be flop houses at the curve in Main Street as you came north from South Park (I'm guessing he meant South Park Avenue). Flop houses were where ship workers who were stuck living in Buffalo for the winter would stay.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Buffaboy liked this post
Old August 18th, 2015, 03:23 AM   #3323
homestar
Baleeted!

Likes (Received): 150

^ That's really cool! I wonder if there was a big difference between customs while driving a car, and customs on a boat. They used to have the Canadiana bringing people between Buffalo and Ft Erie (Crystal Beach) and customs must have been fairly easy taking that route.
homestar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2015, 04:10 AM   #3324
xzmattzx
Philly sports fan

Not sure. My grandfather (born 1922) told me a story back in May about how his father took him over to Crystal Beach as a kid. When they got off the boat, the workers (he believes they were amusement park employees) asked my great-grandfather something (my grandfather doesn't remember too much about this story, being from back in the late 20s or early 30s), and he replied with a snarky comment. Their response was to throw him in a cage! My grandfather laughed that they didn't tolerate much back then!

Old August 19th, 2015, 04:19 AM   #3325
xzmattzx
Philly sports fan

http://news.sportslogos.net/2015/04/...uffalo-bisons/

Old August 20th, 2015, 04:04 PM   #3326
Buffaboy
Buffalo's Idealist

Likes (Received): 253

Quote:
Originally Posted by xzmattzx View Post

Nice article. I've never seen the older logo, it looks like a teenage Bison and the new one is the adult version, I guess!

New Bills stadium (as of 7/30/15);
Chance: None; Very Little; Little; [Maybe]; Big; Very Big; Imminent;
Reason: No time soon, according to Pegula.

Amherst LRT (as of 8/14/15);
Chance: None; [Very Little]; Little; Maybe; Big; Very Big; Imminent;
Reason: No funding, but community interest present

Quote:
guyys, gud news!!!!!!!111!1!111! buffaboy waz telling the truth! the 85-95 story suppertall is happening! oppus/ryan/mortonson is actaully gonna build not just one buy 3 suppertall! so happey!
Buffaboy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2015, 04:05 PM   #3327
Buffaboy
Buffalo's Idealist

Likes (Received): 253

WNY Non-Development Discussion

This is like the fifth episode in a couple years

Quote:
HGTV’s House Hunters Renovation is zeroing in again on Buffalo. The episode scheduled to air at 10 p.m. Saturday is titled: “A Young Buffalo Couple Brews Up A Renovation That Includes A Kegerator and A Chicken Coop.”

The show will follow Robert Blake of Hunt Real Estate as he assists the couple, Matthew Redpath and Leslie Stucky, in finding their dream fix-me-upper. In the words of the couple: “We were looking for a home that had good bones – a backyard, a porch and just felt right, but needed some TLC.”
http://buffalo.com/2015/08/19/news/h...ck-in-buffalo/

New Bills stadium (as of 7/30/15);
Chance: None; Very Little; Little; [Maybe]; Big; Very Big; Imminent;
Reason: No time soon, according to Pegula.

Amherst LRT (as of 8/14/15);
Chance: None; [Very Little]; Little; Maybe; Big; Very Big; Imminent;
Reason: No funding, but community interest present

Quote:
guyys, gud news!!!!!!!111!1!111! buffaboy waz telling the truth! the 85-95 story suppertall is happening! oppus/ryan/mortonson is actaully gonna build not just one buy 3 suppertall! so happey!
Buffaboy no está en línea   Reply With Quote