daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Citytalk and Urban Issues

Citytalk and Urban Issues » Guess the City

Old August 17th, 2010, 12:13 PM   #1
travelworld123

Likes (Received): 20

'un-chinese' like buildings sprouting up in China

on a recent trip to China (actually both times that i went), along major highways and roads, i see many houses and highrises which look very bland and 'fake'.

for example, on a highway going out of shanghai, all along the sides i see 3-4 story houses or mid rise apartments with fairytale castle like designs on its roofs. also the colours of these buildings are very 'fake' like, pale pink, pale blue etc...

it's as if the designers want to copy western 'designs' and they think that disney like castle things look good. also many buildings are built looking like typical american houses, it's sort of annoying me how they are trying to make it look american. this sort of thing takes away culture...
i'm not saying anything bad about america here, i'm purely saying that china should keep with their own architecture which looks nice.

imagine a chinese city where 75+% of buildings look 'chinese. like a modern, skyscraper city but with fulll chinese flavour...
driving along the shanghai expressway with massive skyscrapers with chinese style designs (taipei 101 for eg, or that massive hotel in taipei with the chinese style architecutre - that red massive one, don't know what its called).
travelworld123 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old August 17th, 2010, 06:39 PM   #2
pesto

Likes (Received): 241

An interesting tension here. The idea of worldwide sameness is terrifying.

But I think it's unlikely. Gothic architecture arose in France and spread throughout Europe, with local variations. The result was magnificent architecture in many countries. Similar things can be said about classical revivals, baroque and other styles: they arise in one place, are adopted and modified in a variety of locations. Similarly about 120 years ago western artists adopted African and Asian influences and revolutionized western art.

Why would the Chinese with money want to look like everyone else? Let them build what they want. What is interesting will survive; what isn't will disappear. I don't believe the whole world will look the same; that's just not human nature.
pesto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2010, 03:25 AM   #3
Atmosphere
Live from the sky!

Likes (Received): 248

The Chinese often love those kitchy styles. I saw the same thing on my trip trough China. I really like the new modern skyscrapers though, they look awesome. Sometimes with traditional chinese architecture mixed with western architecture. But there are a lot of lowrises that are indeed disney-like. But they like it. The like gold (color) on their buildings as well.
Old August 18th, 2010, 06:06 AM   #4
zaphod
PRESIDENT OF SPACE

Likes (Received): 206

I think if you look beyond architecture, Chinese cities can be unique in their layout, planning, and general form.

If anything, if the world was going in a direction towards looking all the same, I don't believe you would say it is "western" at all. Cities in Asia, in Russia, etc, have their own thing going that looks modern but hardly American or European.
zaphod no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2010, 11:13 AM   #5
travelworld123

hmm, i'm trying to find some photos but can't see to find any...

i'm also wondering what chinese cities looked like before 'modernization' and all the modern generic buildings have been built. like what they looked like how their own chinese buildings were around. hard to explain... similar to what florence is now - like it was originally.

heres a thread i made before addressing this issue:
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...797&highlight=
Old August 18th, 2010, 03:39 PM   #6
Hasse78

Likes (Received): 372

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelworld123 View Post

for example, on a highway going out of shanghai, all along the sides i see 3-4 story houses or mid rise apartments with fairytale castle like designs on its roofs. also the colours of these buildings are very 'fake' like, pale pink, pale blue etc...

Do you have any pics on disney style buildings like that?
Hasse78 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2010, 06:19 AM   #7
BearCave

Likes (Received): 72

Well, you hardly find any fairytale castle style apartments in America or any other countries, so you can safely say they are Chinese own style!
BearCave no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2010, 08:52 AM   #8
goschio
Oh sweet lord Jesus

Likes (Received): 833

Quote:
Originally Posted by BearCave View Post
Well, you hardly find any fairytale castle style apartments in America or any other countries, so you can safely say they are Chinese own style!
These type of fairy tale houses are typical for developing countries. People there think its modern to live in such a thing.

Typical american or european suburbs, on the other hand, look quite conservative. You rarely see shiny blue roofs and all that crap.

Matthew 7:25
And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell: and great was the fall of it.
goschio no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2010, 01:03 PM   #9
travelworld123

Quote:
Originally Posted by goschio View Post
These type of fairy tale houses are typical for developing countries. People there think its modern to live in such a thing.

Typical american or european suburbs, on the other hand, look quite conservative. You rarely see shiny blue roofs and all that crap.
yea, thats partly my thought - that the chinese think that it looks modern/western/etc...

i think east asian people see stereotypical 'american' things as a thing to look up to and idolise, thus they try to imitate it not knowing that in america/the western world, that those things are already 'out of date' or u know...
its hard to explain lol
Old August 19th, 2010, 01:06 PM   #10
travelworld123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasse78 View Post
Do you have any pics on disney style buildings like that?
yea i think i might have some, just gotta find through my massive collection of photos
Old August 19th, 2010, 04:17 PM   #11
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 6420

I'm curious to see a picture of what you're talking about. I don't recall seeing these 'castles' on my prior visits to Shanghai and around the countryside in the Yangtze River delta.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg | Moscow | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Sydney | Hanoi | Bangkok | Prague

New York, London, Seoul, Taipei, Mumbai, Tokyo, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2010, 05:23 PM   #12
joshsam
JR

Likes (Received): 1810

HAHA mayby something like this in Zaandam, The Netherlands?

joshsam no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2010, 05:25 PM   #13
joshsam
JR

to be honest it almost made me puke when i saw it the first time
Old August 19th, 2010, 05:28 PM   #14
joshsam
JR

Or mayby this one in poland

Old August 19th, 2010, 06:19 PM   #15
Kensingtonian

Likes (Received): 36

That building in the Netherlands is a garish green nightmare!

Love that one in Poland.
Kensingtonian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2010, 06:45 PM   #16
pesto

Likes (Received): 241

Like I said: experiment. The market will soon tell you what sells and what doesn't.

But out of curiosity, did the surrounding properties have any ability to comment on the design for the Zaandam "green monster"? I can't imagine it would be permitted in many US cities.
pesto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2010, 03:31 AM   #17
oliver999
starwar

Likes (Received): 719

some old chinese city photos

Old August 20th, 2010, 04:57 AM   #18
BearCave

Likes (Received): 72

Quote:
Originally Posted by goschio View Post

That's right, so Chinese have their own "modern" style, different from Western countries.

Just like Western people wearing T-shirts with Chinese characters which they think it's modern but that looks stupid to Chinese people.
BearCave no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2010, 07:24 AM   #19
travelworld123

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkskyline View Post
I'm curious to see a picture of what you're talking about. I don't recall seeing these 'castles' on my prior visits to Shanghai and around the countryside in the Yangtze River delta.
here are a few i have found in my photos, the full on 'fantasy/disneylike' ones i don't seem to have taken any photos of, but these ones are also what i'm talking about:

here is one that i think we were driving towards shanghai back from either suzhou or hangzhou or wuzhen (forgot). throughout this expressway were buildings like this
image hosted on flickr

this one is a screenshot from a video i took
image hosted on flickr

this one, if u look on the right, u can see the building im talking about. this one is taken from an apartment in beijing. i know that this is only one random small highrise, but there are countless buildings like these i've seen.
image hosted on flickr

i was just thinking that imagine those buildings were instead of 'western' sort of design, maybe have chinese design instead. which would be so awesome!

soon i will post some my own photos as well as some i have found on the net about buildings that i think are good that i'm talking about.
Old August 20th, 2010, 12:03 PM   #20
joshsam
JR

Quote:
Originally Posted by pesto View Post
Like I said: experiment. The market will soon tell you what sells and what doesn't.

But out of curiosity, did the surrounding properties have any ability to comment on the design for the Zaandam "green monster"? I can't imagine it would be permitted in many US cities.
I don't know, i'm not from The Netherlands but what I do know is that there are a lot of strange buildings and projects over there....

Last edited by joshsam; August 21st, 2010 at 01:08 PM.

Tags
america, china, chinese, disney, shanghai