daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Scottish Architecture Forum

Scottish Architecture Forum Architecture, Design and Urban Development for for Glasgow, Edinburgh, Aberdeen, Dundee, and the rest of Scotland.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 18th, 2007, 12:42 PM   #1
Mr. B

Likes (Received): 681

Salmond backs bid to host Euro 2016

Alex Salmond today backed calls for a Scottish bid to host the 2016 European football championships.

The new First Minister said we should go it alone when putting proposals to Uefa - and added that preparations should begin right away.

Today's call follows the superb atmosphere that was created throughout the city - and at Hampden itself - for Wednesday's Uefa Cup final.

advertisementIn the wake of that match, Uefa President Michel Platini said Euro 2016 was a different matter, but he added: "For Uefa, it means Scotland is capable of staging this kind of event."

Although the European Championships would be a far bigger competition, Mr Salmond believes Scotland is capable of hosting the event.

He said: "I see no reason why we shouldn't put forward a credible bid.

"And of course the preparations have to be made now, so I think we should get this in motion.

"I think we have got the capability in Scotland to make a bid for these championships, just as we are bidding for the 2014 Commonwealth Games."

Scotland lost out when a joint bid with the Republic of Ireland for Euro 2008 was defeated by the joint effort from Austria and Switzerland.

The 2012 competition will again be a joint venture, involving Poland and the Ukraine.

Scots football chiefs first outlined plans to bid for Euro 2016 last year.

They want a solo bid from Scotland, although the Welsh are keen to play a part.

The European Championships are considered the biggest tournament in football outside of the World Cup.

A record 7.9billion viewers watched Euro 2004 in Portugal, with an estimated 279 million people tuning into watch the final.

Sponsored Links

Old May 18th, 2007, 12:45 PM   #2
Mr. B

Likes (Received): 681

From the BBC

Alex Salmond says he would support a Scottish bid to host the European football championships in 2016.
The new first minister believes that planning should start now, and that any application should be a solo Scottish bid rather than a joint one.

He told BBC Sportsound: "There's no reason why Scotland can't submit a bid, and any preparations need to be made now, and a single bid would be best.

"It's time Scotland got involved and clearly the SFA would play a key part."

Scotland failed in a bid to host Euro 2008, which would have been held jointly with the Republic of Ireland, with the showpiece event going to Austria and Switzerland instead.

Salmond attended the Uefa Cup final at Hampden Park, and spoke to Uefa president, Michel Platini.

And he added: "I told him all about how good the atmosphere was at Hampden and he agreed.

"He knows all about the passion of Scottish football fans, even though he surprisingly never got to play for France at Hampden in his own career.

"I will always be behind any Scottish sports side, and hopefully Glasgow's bid to host the 2014 Commonwealth Games will be successful as well.

"Sport in Scotland will be high on the agenda of the new Government."
Old May 18th, 2007, 02:30 PM   #3
JamesWales

Likes (Received): 0

A similar story did the rounds last month when the host for Euro2012 was announced in cardiff, following loads of Uefa meetings etc in the city.

It seems the FA Wales are keen on a joint bid with Scotland for Euro2016, and this was encouraged by uefa apparently. Obviously I'd prefer a joint bid, rather than a solo Scottish bid, but I think people in Scotland should also. I think Scotland would struggle to get 8/10 stadia of at least 30,000, and remember that never before has more than two been in the same city, so you can probably rule out one of Celtic park, Ibrox or Hampden.

Anyway, I hope the Welsh (whoever the hell its gonna be) and Scottish governments will work together on this, because I think we'd have a very good chance together.
JamesWales no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2007, 05:28 PM   #4
GlasgowMan
AirGlasgow.com

Likes (Received): 87

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
A similar story did the rounds last month when the host for Euro2012 was announced in cardiff, following loads of Uefa meetings etc in the city.

It seems the FA Wales are keen on a joint bid with Scotland for Euro2016, and this was encouraged by uefa apparently. Obviously I'd prefer a joint bid, rather than a solo Scottish bid, but I think people in Scotland should also. I think Scotland would struggle to get 8/10 stadia of at least 30,000, and remember that never before has more than two been in the same city, so you can probably rule out one of Celtic park, Ibrox or Hampden.

Anyway, I hope the Welsh (whoever the hell its gonna be) and Scottish governments will work together on this, because I think we'd have a very good chance together.
Well apart from the three main stadiums in Glasgow, Scotland doesnt have any other top quality stadiums, Murryfield is for egg chasing.

As your Scottish airport to the world, you can fly direct from Glasgow to 120 worldwide destinations, more than any other Scottish Airport. As well as listing all flights and destinations on offer from Glasgow's Airports, you can also view all the latest news and see a full list of all new routes on offer from Glasgow. You can also view our tourist guide to Glasgow, Scotland's largest city.
GlasgowMan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2007, 05:34 PM   #5
Boards
Cunty

Likes (Received): 357

I know what big Alex was up to scrapping the Edinburgh trams and EARL! He's gathering the money for the euro bid! How many stadiums? Eight is do-able, ten unlikely. Two in Glasgow, two in Edinburgh, Aberdeen, Dundee, Cardiff, Swansea. Then an argument about where the final should be.
Old May 18th, 2007, 06:02 PM   #6
Glagow

I would be dissapointed if Scotland went with a joint bid with Wales. We are more than capable of pulling this off by ourselfs and getting the full economic benifit. We tried a similar bid with the Irish which was a farce, we should have been more brave then too and went on our own.

Aberdeen have plans for a 30,000 seater stadium to be built on the edge of the city and work starts very soon on the new 40,000 Tynecastle.

Current Scottish Stadia -

Murryfield- 67,500
Parkhead- 60,000
Hampden- 52,000
Ibrox- 51,500 Increasing to 57,500 in next couple of seasons
Tynecastle- 18,000 Increasing to 40,000
Pittodrie- 22,000 New 30,000 stadium planned.
Old May 18th, 2007, 06:10 PM   #7
Boards
Cunty

I think theres a ruling that a maximum of two stadia can be located in one city. That makes a single bid difficult unless you were to enlarge two from Caley's ground, Rugby Park or maybe Falkirk's ground ( I dont know if Motherwell would be classed as too near Glasgow? ). Could somewhere like Kilmarnock realistically host a number of group matches?
Old May 18th, 2007, 06:29 PM   #8
Kentigern
Local man

Likes (Received): 3

And how would you choose two out of the three stadiums in Glasgow? Any choice would cause uproar...
Kentigern no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2007, 06:35 PM   #9
Glagow

Choose the two five star stadia. Hampden and Ibrox.
Old May 18th, 2007, 06:36 PM   #10
Kentigern
Local man

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glagow View Post
Choose the two five star stadia. Hampden and Ibrox.
And congratulations, you have controversy...
Kentigern no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2007, 06:40 PM   #11
Glagow

No, we use the two best stadia in the city. We would have controversy if they were all five star. You put your best cards on the table.
Old May 18th, 2007, 06:43 PM   #12
Boards
Cunty

Hampden and Ibrox, Hampden and Celtic Park - I'm not arsed, I want whats best for the country. What real relevance or impact would it have on the nay-sayers lives? They'd get the hump and moan a bit about their stadium not being chosen. Can you imagine if Scotland couldn't proceed with a bid because of this issue? What would it say about Glasgow in the 21st century? It would be pretty ******* sad.
Old May 18th, 2007, 06:47 PM   #13
Glagow

Exactly its that Old Firm Glasgow mindset again. Who cares what they think!!! The fairest way IMO is to pick the best venues for the job and at present UEFA states that Hampden and Ibrox are the two best venues.....
Old May 18th, 2007, 06:49 PM   #14
Boards
Cunty

Cant dispute that. Ibrox is considered by UEFA to have the better facilities. Hampden and Ibrox currently makes sense.
Old May 18th, 2007, 07:01 PM   #15
The Boy David
Registered Win

Likes (Received): 273

Celtic Park is not 5 stars just now, but at the rate it's deteriorating at, there won't be a Celtic Park come 2016.

Parkhead will be a five star stadium long before 2016 for this very reason, and thus the controversy would continue. However, if it is not accredited with 5 stars by the point of the competition, it makes perfect logical sense to use Hampden and Ibrox.

I don't see why Glasgow shouldn't use all 3 grounds, regardless of status. It's an absurd rule that only lends to bidding countries spending more on stadiums that will never be filled to capacity after the competition ends.

And just think of the extreme atmosphere in Glasgow if there were 6 games a day in the city. It would be absolutely crammed full of supporters from all over Europe, and would quite literally become a giant festival city for the duration of the competition. The experience would be unbelievable.

Plus, it means far less traveling about to games around the country, keeping organisation and costs simpler and lower.

I'd be up for a 2016 Competition, but I'm not sure if Scottish Football's current climate is up to the job of maintaining use of any new stadia after they would be renovated or rebuilt.
The Boy David no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2007, 07:11 PM   #16
Boards
Cunty

**** the controversy. If come 2016 Celtic Park is 5 star with a larger capacity than Ibrox then I'd go for Celtic Park and Hampden. Six games a day? That would be extreme indeed.
Old May 18th, 2007, 08:15 PM   #17
milton

Likes (Received): 495

Being a fan of neither of the Old Firm, and having been to each of the three, Celtic Park and Ibrox would be BY FAR the best option. The missing-out-on-five-star thing at Parkhead is based on the size of the changing rooms, but in every other regard, Celtic Park is better than Hampden. It gives me no pleasure to say that, as it's our national stadium (see my rant about Hampden compared to the Millenium Stadium/City of Manchester stadium, etc in the other thread), but as far as atmosphere is concerned, Celtic Park is one of the best grounds I've ever been to.

But anyway: should we be so concerned about whether there have been 3 in one city before? Should if not be put to UEFA that perhaps a fresh approach is required? They themselves have said that they have taken a fresh look at the notion of peripheral, smaller nations bidding, and sharing the responsibilities of doing so. Well, maybe a part of that is that they will have to admit that such smaller nation do not have the variety and range of cities that can support bigger teams and thus stadiums?
I say **** it: bid with all three Glasgow stadiums and Murrayfield. Aberdeen are looking to have a 20-25,000 seater community stadium in place anyway, so with a bit of intervention funding-wise, maybethis could be increased a little.
Hearts.. well, who knows what that mentalist Romanov has planned. That could be a problem.
Annoyingly, Hibs recently spent money adding to Easter Road. My personal preference would be to redevelop Meadowbank into something great, and let Hibs use it afterwards. I don't like the idea of sticking a new stadium out in Wester Hailes - I like where Meadowbank is.

Dundee would certainly deserve a new stadium, and possibly ground-sharing for the two teams there would be the way to go afterwards. They live on top of each other anyway.

Thoughts?
milton no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2007, 08:19 PM   #18
asdfg

Likes (Received): 258

... and, unfortunately, potentially a nightmare to police. That's the main reason for the two stadia per city rule.

I reckon Celtic Park will be enlarged in time for the Commonwealth Games - to 70-75,000 capacity. If the Euros were also lined up, there's no doubt the stadium would be "completed". It would also, certainly, meet the UEFA five star ratings. In that case, there would be no contest.
asdfg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2007, 08:38 PM   #19
maccoinnich
smalltown boy

Likes (Received): 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by milton View Post
I don't like the idea of sticking a new stadium out in Wester Hailes
Neither does the new council. Redevelopment of Meadowbank is looking more likely, but I can't see it being that ambitious a project.
maccoinnich no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2007, 08:59 PM   #20
Glagow

Hampden Park must stage the final if succesfull no question or there is no point in it existing. It must be redeveloped if this bid is successfull to increase the capacity. This was once the biggest stadium in the world for over 30 years and holds all sorts of attendance records. It is only right and proper that money is spent on the Grand Old Lady of Scottish Football to make it the premier sporting venue in this country.