daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > Africa > East Africa > Ethiopia > Projects & Construction > Economic & Social Issues

Old December 24th, 2010, 05:27 PM   #1
Ras Siyan
Jamhuuriyada Jabuuti

Likes (Received): 300

Ethiopia seeking more port options

Quote:
Addis Ababa, December 24 (WIC) - Ethiopia handles 90 per cent of its import-export trade via the port of Djibouti. Nevertheless, the nation has also been looking for other options too including the port of Berbera.

The port of Berbera has capacity for over 800 thousand tons of cargo per year. However, the port is not operating with its full capacity due to various reasons.

According to Dr. Mohammed Amar, Somaliland foreign minister, the major reasons include lack of roads to the port and limited capacity to transit and transport cargo.

“The European Union has pledged to assist us in our efforts to making Berbera a favorite port,” the minister said. “The first thing we will do is construct a road connecting the port with the Togochale borderland to enable the government of Ethiopia and the country’s business community to use the port.”

Years have past since the two sides signed agreement on utilization of the port. Ethiopia has already constructed a road connecting the nation to Togochale.

According to Mekonnen Abera, Director General of the Maritime Affairs Authority, Ethiopia’s annual import-export transit over the port of Djibouti has reached over 9.2 million metric tons. “Our export trade has been expanding from time to time,” Mekonnen said. “We cannot manage it using only one corridor; we need other options.”

According to the Director General, the best option for northwestern Ethiopia is Port of Sudan and this is already being used to export sesame.

Using available port options would enable the nation to avoid unnecessary delay of goods at ports and minimize warehouse fee. In turn, this would help the nation save foreign currency and enables import-exporters to become internationally competitive.

Port of Djibouti will continue to play the leading role in transiting Ethiopia’s growing volume of international trade exchange.
Come on guys, don't bother. We're even building a third port at Tadjourah, exclusively for Ethiopia.

P.S: What happened to the Bolloré project to invest 700 million Euros in Berbera port?
Ras Siyan no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old December 24th, 2010, 08:31 PM   #2
popa1980

Likes (Received): 761

For sure ethiopia should maximise options for security.
popa1980 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2010, 08:38 PM   #3
popa1980

A controversial question- i wonder if Somalia would ever sell a bit of land to Ethiopia to have access to the coast. I mean- just wide enough to fit a railway, a road and a port- so just a few kilometres. A part in the far west.
popa1980 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2010, 08:45 PM   #4
Ras Siyan
Jamhuuriyada Jabuuti

Quote:
Originally Posted by popa1980 View Post
A controversial question- i wonder if Somalia would ever sell a bit of land to Ethiopia to have access to the coast. I mean- just wide enough to fit a railway, a road and a port- so just a few kilometres. A part in the far west.
Are you kidding?! You have no idea how sensitive what you just suggested is...

Somalia still can't digest the Ogaden is part of Ethiopia, and you want to give more Somali land to Ethiopia?! There has been a particularly troubled history between these 2 nations. But anyway, who gives land away?
Old December 24th, 2010, 09:35 PM   #5
Yoniii

Quote:
That will never happen, alternatives should focus on Kenyan ports. In the meanwhile, Ethiopianizing Djibouti should be a priority.
Yoniii no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2010, 11:31 PM   #6
Simfan34
Complainer-in-Chief

Likes (Received): 1161

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ras Siyan View Post
Are you kidding?! You have no idea how sensitive what you just suggested is...

Somalia still can't digest the Ogaden is part of Ethiopia, and you want to give more Somali land to Ethiopia?! There has been a particularly troubled history between these 2 nations. But anyway, who gives land away?
That's the "Assab question" for you, except it's Eritrea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoniii View Post
That will never happen, alternatives should focus on Kenyan ports. In the meanwhile, Ethiopianizing Djibouti should be a priority.
YEEAH!
(Don't forget Ethiopia and NYC, too!)
Simfan34 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2010, 11:43 PM   #7
musa90

Likes (Received): 7

Businessmen in the Ogaden region have been exporting their livestock through the Bosaso port (Somalia) for decades now. Perhaps other Ethiopians should use it as well.
musa90 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2010, 12:07 AM   #8
G.O.E.T.I.A
Abramelin the Mage

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Ethiopianizing Djibouti should be a priority
are you dreaming? an ethiopian rise in Djibouti = Alice in wonderland. we're already fed up with its soft power, can't tolerate more.
G.O.E.T.I.A no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2010, 01:01 AM   #9
AM2

Likes (Received): 221

Quote:
Originally Posted by musa90 View Post
Businessmen in the Ogaden region have been exporting their livestock through the Bosaso port (Somalia) for decades now. Perhaps other Ethiopians should use it as well.
From what I understand, Bossaso has very poor port infrastructure, it needs a lot of investment. And the road is bad as well, although Ethiopia had plans to pave it from Jijiga all the way to Bossasso
AM2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2010, 02:04 AM   #10
Yoniii

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.O.E.T.I.A View Post
are you dreaming? an ethiopian rise in Djibouti = Alice in wonderland. we're already fed up with its soft power, can't tolerate more.
We will see, I think the influence (economically) will be much stronger than it is today as Ethiopia's economy gets bigger.
Old December 25th, 2010, 02:08 AM   #11
ja'far

Likes (Received): 38

Quote:
Marwa, would come down on you like a ton of brick.
ja'far no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2010, 12:54 PM   #12
G.O.E.T.I.A
Abramelin the Mage

of course the ethiopian influence is clearly visible in the streets of Djibouti (people listenning to ethiopian music even if they don't understand a damn thing, in nowaday's age its kind of a popular thing to be seen in some sort of ethiopian friendly, wether you're eating anjera or going to an ethiopian restaurant or salon coiffure, my friends even brag about their ethiopian connection )

but i hope we the djiboutians will find a way to benefit from our ports but also stop the ethiopian invasion, even if there is no ethiopian soldier, they're invading us psychologicaly and moraly. we can still be friends but you have to know djibouti is so small, that it can be colonized without herself knowing it.

we need each other, we have to trade our bests with each other in order to have a win win situation. Djibouti is like mexico and Ethiopia like the united states of america, ethiopia is a major power to reckon with in the region, of course its influence brightens as it grows but we have to find a way to be independent.

if there is such a thing as ethiopianization, then it couldnt come closer than Djibouti, i hate to say it but thats the truth. Djiboutians really love ethiopia despite me trying to educate and wake the masses up.
Old December 25th, 2010, 01:27 PM   #13
G.O.E.T.I.A
Abramelin the Mage

Quote:
thats a very interesting question:

i honestly believe that we should done have this long time ago, i don't see the need to hate each other, nothing good comes out of it. but the problem is somalis will never sell a bit of land to ethiopia (i myself being a somali djiboutian, our historical enemy has always been ethiopia, i grew up with that idealogy so i had to portray badly anything about ethiopia)

i don't know if ethiopians have such thing, or maybe they never paid attention or they don't care about us. but thats our somali views on ethiopia.

but now since its 2010, we can change things around. look at the relation between britain and france or sweden vs danmark, things never were as friendly as today but they moved over their differences a long while ago. we should do the same in the horn of africa too.

ethiopians need to forget eritrea once and for all, eritrea is and will in the coming future be free of ethiopia. so please forget it. look somewhere else.

somalis need to forget about djibouti once and for all, its not coming back. save your somalia country from the disaster of today before even thinking about joining us.

when it comes to Ogaden, thats a sensitiv subject, i always thought secession was the best option, but i've changed my mind lately, i think ethiopia should do more development in that part and urbanize it as they done in other parts of their country. Ethiopia is currently losing the PR and the faith of the natives, they should do something that makes them feel like the're citizens of the country. i all my heart honestly believe ogaden is better off in ethiopia because if it secceds there will be more blood and damages than the region can afford.

so i'll conclude that yes, we need our own summit, there should be more integration. and yes ethiopia should have access to sea if somalis don't know how to harness their sea cost because if ethiopia benefits so is our somali brothers in ogaden region. somalia has long unused shore, why not use it.

i think we need to move beyond. being jealous of ethiopia and letting it be landlocked for ever is not a solution in our favor because if you're expecting ethiopians to die, that will never happen, look at eritrea they thought that ethiopia would need them, but ethiopia looked somewhere else and found an answer.

i fully support Ethiopia when it comes to the nile, because we are africans and i hope ethiopia will support us in our strugle to regain our lost land socotra because of some old colonialist treaty.

africans need to wake up and unite.

Last edited by G.O.E.T.I.A; December 25th, 2010 at 02:03 PM.
Old December 25th, 2010, 01:50 PM   #14
Yoniii

We know our history ('77 war, ahmad gragn), but we are not taught to hate Somalis.

I agree with the rest of your post.
Old December 25th, 2010, 02:25 PM   #15
Ras Siyan
Jamhuuriyada Jabuuti

Quote:
of course the ethiopian influence is clearly visible in the streets of Djibouti (people listenning to ethiopian music even if they don't understand a damn thing, in nowaday's age its kind of a popular thing to be seen in some sort of ethiopian friendly, wether you're eating anjera or going to an ethiopian restaurant or salon coiffure, my friends even brag about their ethiopian connection )

but i hope we the djiboutians will find a way to benefit from our ports but also stop the ethiopian invasion, even if there is no ethiopian soldier, they're invading us psychologicaly and moraly. we can still be friends but you have to know djibouti is so small, that it can be colonized without herself knowing it.

we need each other, we have to trade our bests with each other in order to have a win win situation. Djibouti is like mexico and Ethiopia like the united states of america, ethiopia is a major power to reckon with in the region, of course its influence brightens as it grows but we have to find a way to be independent.

if there is such a thing as ethiopianization, then it couldnt come closer than Djibouti, i hate to say it but thats the truth. Djiboutians really love ethiopia despite me trying to educate and wake the masses up.
Come on, stop this drama man. We're not being invaded, stop being paranoid.

Its unavoidable to have a certain level of cultural exchange with Ethiopia (call influence if u want, but I'm not). When 90% of their export/import go through our ports, when the Ethios are the largest immigrant community in Djib, when Ethiopia is our main trading partner and when Ethiopia is the first destination of Djiboutian holiday goers, now tell me how the hell do you want to avoid that?

Have u ever been to Addis? Have u seen how welcoming people are when u tell them you're from Djibouti? It goes both ways, stop worrying.

There is not such thing as Ethiopanization of Djibouti, they couldn't "ethiopianize" the Afars and Somalis within their borders, they won't succeed with us, so don't worry. This is the result of economic integration and its ok.
Old December 25th, 2010, 02:44 PM   #16
The Nomadic Warrior
BANNED

Likes (Received): 102

Quote:
thats a very interesting question:

i honestly believe that we should done have this long time ago, i don't see the need to hate each other, nothing good comes out of it. but the problem is somalis will never sell a bit of land to ethiopia (i myself being a somali djiboutian, our historical enemy has always been ethiopia, i grew up with that idealogy so i had to portray badly anything about ethiopia)

i don't know if ethiopians have such thing, or maybe they never paid attention or they don't care about us. but thats our somali views on ethiopia.

but now since its 2010, we can change things around. look at the relation between britain and france or sweden vs danmark, things never were as friendly as today but they moved over their differences a long while ago. we should do the same in the horn of africa too.

ethiopians need to forget eritrea once and for all, eritrea is and will in the coming future be free of ethiopia. so please forget it. look somewhere else.

somalis need to forget about djibouti once and for all, its not coming back. save your somalia country from the disaster of today before even thinking about joining us.

when it comes to Ogaden, thats a sensitiv subject, i always thought secession was the best option, but i've changed my mind lately, i think ethiopia should do more development in that part and urbanize it as they done in other parts of their country. Ethiopia is currently losing the PR and the faith of the natives, they should do something that makes them feel like the're citizens of the country. i all my heart honestly believe ogaden is better off in ethiopia because if it secceds there will be more blood and damages than the region can afford.

so i'll conclude that yes, we need our own summit, there should be more integration. and yes ethiopia should have access to sea if somalis don't know how to harness their sea cost because if ethiopia benefits so is our somali brothers in ogaden region. somalia has long unused shore, why not use it.

i think we need to move beyond. being jealous of ethiopia and letting it be landlocked for ever is not a solution in our favor because if you're expecting ethiopians to die, that will never happen, look at eritrea they thought that ethiopia would need them, but ethiopia looked somewhere else and found an answer.

i fully support Ethiopia when it comes to the nile, because we are africans and i hope ethiopia will support us in our strugle to regain our lost land socotra because of some old colonialist treaty.

africans need to wake up and unite.
In my entire life, I have never seen such incoherent rambling on this scale before. It was quite embarrassing and extremely painful to read your post. Please, never speak for Somalis in the Ogaden and in Somalia. You should be grateful for Somalia, if it wasn’t for Somalia, you would still be under French rule.
The Nomadic Warrior no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2010, 04:08 PM   #17
G.O.E.T.I.A
Abramelin the Mage

oh snap, did i hurt your feelings? im somali and i have the right to talk about somalis however i like. i love being somali and there is no one else on earth i had rather be, im gratefull for somalis for what they did to us (our independence?) but we don't need to support seccesionist groups in our region. i don't like ogaden and i don't like somaliland (that will make me go against most somalis on this forum specially Xusein) but i don't care, you people need to wake up and smell the coffee.

seceding and starting a nation from scratch is not the way forward. we have to respect the little we have today and go from there. let's build what we have, otherwise your ogaden in case it becomes independent will take 200 years to catch up the develop of the rest of the world.

the first time i heard of south sudan, i really didnt know their history so i searched up a bit, guess what, these people are so poor yet they want to secede i don't get it. there is hardly any electricity there, these people are living in worser situations than any third world country i know of (lets say without being offensive that they are at least 300 years behind the human progress). imagine this little territory being recognized. these south sudanese think that what they're doing are right and da north will depend on south's oil (reminds me of eritrea vs ethiopia). but the truth is they are so behind the north, i can not help but pray for them and wish them good luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ras Siyan View Post
There is not such thing as Ethiopanization of Djibouti, they couldn't "ethiopianize" the Afars and Somalis within their borders, they won't succeed with us, so don't worry
thank you bro, that quote is legendary, in a instant it assured me my safety. well if yoniii keeps scaring me, i will remind him of it. serisouly why do i need to be afraid and get sensitiv and stuff when i can refute with that truth quote.

Last edited by G.O.E.T.I.A; December 25th, 2010 at 04:14 PM.
Old December 25th, 2010, 04:22 PM   #18
Yoniii

Quote:
thank you bro, that quote is legendary, in a instant it assured me my safety. well if yoniii keeps scaring me, i will remind him of it. serisouly why do i need to be afraid and get sensitiv and stuff when i can refute with that truth quote.
Imagine eating Injera and drinking coffee at least 4 times a day..everyday, be afraid, be very afraid!
Old December 25th, 2010, 04:37 PM   #19
G.O.E.T.I.A
Abramelin the Mage

yoniii i wouldnt mind drinking milk coffee all day long. i miss ethiopian cafeteria these guys know best how to make good coffee.

but force feeding me with injera
Old December 25th, 2010, 04:51 PM   #20
The Nomadic Warrior
BANNED

Likes (Received): 102

Quote:
oh snap, did i hurt your feelings? im somali and i have the right to talk about somalis however i like. i love being somali and there is no one else on earth i had rather be, im gratefull for somalis for what they did to us (our independence?) but we don't need to support seccesionist groups in our region. i don't like ogaden and i don't like somaliland (that will make me go against most somalis on this forum specially Xusein) but i don't care, you people need to wake up and smell the coffee.

seceding and starting a nation from scratch is not the way forward. we have to respect the little we have today and go from there. let's build what we have, otherwise your ogaden in case it becomes independent will take 200 years to catch up the develop of the rest of the world.

the first time i heard of south sudan, i really didnt know their history so i searched up a bit, guess what, these people are so poor yet they want to secede i don't get it. there is hardly any electricity there, these people are living in worser situations than any third world country i know of (lets say without being offensive that they are at least 300 years behind the human progress). imagine this little territory being recognized. these south sudanese think that what they're doing are right and da north will depend on south's oil (reminds me of eritrea vs ethiopia). but the truth is they are so behind the north, i can not help but pray for them and wish them good luck.
Honestly, you haven’t hurt any feelings. It’s really hard to be offended by someone who country’s offical language is a foreign tongue and the only purpose the country serves is a military base, a port and a whore house for its major neighbor

Eritrea as you use for an example is doing fine, the country is on its way to meet its Millennium Development Goals, and it’s securing its people food security whilst under a mining economy boom. It also recorded a 6% growth. If Eritrea is able to do this, the Ogaden and South Sudan can do the exact same thing

You act as if unity is key goal here, yet failing to address numerous failed Abyssinian regimes in the Ogaden from Selassie to Zenawi. Ethiopia/Abyssinia hasn’t brought anything positive to the Ogaden, not one single thing.

The Ogaden mimics South Sudan in numerous ways; both countries are controlled by Northern elites who want to use other people’s resources to prop up their people who live in a resourcesless region.

Last edited by The Nomadic Warrior; December 25th, 2010 at 04:57 PM.
The Nomadic Warrior no está en línea   Reply With Quote