daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > Africa > General Forums > Photo Galleries

Photo Galleries Cityscapes, skylines and landscapes

Old January 8th, 2007, 12:01 AM   #1
skyscraperkid20006

Likes (Received): 0

Modern African Shopping Centres

Anyone post pictures of modern shopping centres within your country. Also, if anyone has pictures of the Accra Mall development in Ghana also post. Thank you/
skyscraperkid20006 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old January 8th, 2007, 11:22 AM   #2
SE9
South East Nine

Likes (Received): 8901

Sarit Centre - Nairobi

This is the largest and busiest mall in East Africa. Its spread over 5 floors. Official website: http://www.saritcentre.com/

SE9 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2007, 11:35 AM   #3
SE9
South East Nine

Likes (Received): 8901

Junction Shopping Centre - Nairobi

This is Nairobi's newest mall, but will be surpassed by Yare Shopping Centre.

SE9 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2007, 10:31 PM   #4
icosium

Likes (Received): 8

http://img205.imageshack.us/img205/7857/72331281sh1.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/...1/eca70962.jpg

two different mall under construction in algeria
first one will be the bigest in africa
icosium no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2007, 03:45 AM   #5
Tbite
Son of Oduduwa

This mall is great
Quote:
Tbite no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2007, 04:00 AM   #6
Tbite
Son of Oduduwa

Palms Shopping Mall, Lekki, Lagos (Largest Mall in Nigeria)
Website; http://www.thepalmsshopping.com/site/

Old January 21st, 2007, 04:18 AM   #7
J˘natas
J˘natas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbite View Post
Palms Shopping Mall, Lekki, Lagos (Largest Mall in Nigeria)
Website; http://www.thepalmsshopping.com/site/

Is tuis one the biggest in Lagos!? Well.. Lagos has more than 10 million people aon a just a sall mall like this! I cant believe, this problabli is not right
J˘natas no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2007, 04:27 AM   #8
Tbite
Son of Oduduwa

nahh it's the biggest alright, although there are other malls under construction

Here are two that are currently under construction

- (No name mall yet) in Royal Gardens Estate, Lekki Development Corridor (Victoria Island), Situated on 6.6 hectares (66,700 square meters)

- ( name unknown), mall to be built by Trustville Properties Development Company Limited in the Ojo axis of metropolitan Lagos costs 4.5 million dollars, palms costs 30 mill
Old January 21st, 2007, 12:52 PM   #9
Matthias Offodile

Likes (Received): 547

Quote:
Is tuis one the biggest in Lagos!? Well.. Lagos has more than 10 million people aon a just a sall mall like this! I cant believe, this problabli is not right
J˘natas, unfortunately yes, it is still Lagos biggest mall at the moment. Due to the military dictatorships of the 80┤s and 90┤s, Nigeria fell asleep, our country grinded to a complete halt when Abacha died.
Shopping centre revolution has still not started in Nigeria. A couple of decent malls opened (like The Palms, Lagos City Mall), but that is still a less than drop in the ocean considering Nigeria┤s growing middle classes and economic reawakening. Honestly said, it is a BIG S-H-A-M-E for a country like ours, simply unforgivable, to my mind!
But don┤t forget that India virtually had no decent first-world malls up to the late 90┤s for a population of more than 1 billion people and suddenly the mall revolution started in India and nowadays Indian cities are full of great malls.

The mall revolution will/has to start in Lagos, too...because urban Nigerians love shopping and generally are pretty brand-conscious people (men and female alike)...In the coming years or decade, I am dead sure that more malls will start getting built in Lagos. There are currently two modern malls u/c in Abuja. The malls that exist in Lagos are running very well in terms of sales figures. ...let┤s hope that this will be the "onslaught" for an aggressive mall expansion which is long overdue!

First world malls are still non-existent for most parts of Africa. So the question of malls in Africa should be a addressed in 5 to 10 years again.
South Africa is the only place within Sub-Saharan Africa that is full of fantatsic mega malls (malls that you would/should expect to find in Nigeria as well).
Angola will likely see the sharpest rise of first world style mall construction in the coming years within sub-saharan Africa. They opened a new mall (phase I consists of 150 shops and phase II which is still u/c will have 400 shops in total. It will be among Africa┤s biggest malls on completition). Brazilian and Portuguese investors are planning more huge malls in Angola in the coming years due to some articles I have read. I hope that an African style theme mall will be among the projects. Do not forget that a 35$ billion dollar city is u/c in Luanda replete with first class hotels, offices, glitzy malls and golf courses. Three weeks back I repeatedly read an article in the German press on Luanda┤s boom. It is really awesome!

Senegal is about two open some nice malls. Ghana will get its first world style mall (Accra Mall) pretty soon. (There had been malls in Ghana - as well as in Nigeria before - but they are not really stylish and "first world like", in my eyes). As you can see Kenya has some nice malls, too! (see photos in the thread). Kenya and Uganda will most likely add more malls in the coming furture.
Expect some (more) mall construction coming out of the smaller and richer African countries like Botswana, Mauritius, Gabon, Namibia, La RÚunion and Cape Verde, but mall expansion will be limited in those countries due to the small population.
So come back in 5-10 years and you will find more pics of African malls.
Matthias Offodile está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2007, 01:14 PM   #10
Matthias Offodile

Kampala (Uganda) Garden City Mall

image hosted on flickr
Old January 21st, 2007, 01:23 PM   #11
Matthias Offodile

RiverWalk Mall in Gaboronne (Botswana)

Old January 21st, 2007, 07:41 PM   #12
Matthias Offodile

A shopping mall called "Maerua Mall" and its expansion projects in Windhoek (Namibia)

expansion works:

a few pics from inside the mall

Old January 21st, 2007, 11:36 PM   #13
dysan1
More development

Likes (Received): 212

Gateway Theatre of Shopping - Durban South Africa
www.gatewayworld.co.za

Africa and the southern hemispheres largest shopping mall.

Currently 150 500m2. Expansions to make it 165 000m2 by november 2007

Has the worlds Highest indoor climbing wall, worlds only double point wave break, 25 cinemas and IMAX. Skate boarding park, go-karts, games arcades, over 60 restaurants and is the hub of a developing new town centre.

Aerial view showing size

The Palm Boulevard. all the empty land is now full of 7-8F buildings that have apartments, shops and offices in them

The Wavehouse at Gateway
www.wavehouse.co.za

Old January 22nd, 2007, 12:55 AM   #14
J˘natas
J˘natas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthias Offodile View Post
J˘natas, unfortunately yes, it is still Lagos biggest mall at the moment. Due to the military dictatorships of the 80┤s and 90┤s, Nigeria fell asleep, our country grinded to a complete halt when Abacha died.
Shopping centre revolution has still not started in Nigeria. A couple of decent malls opened (like The Palms, Lagos City Mall), but that is still a less than drop in the ocean considering Nigeria┤s growing middle classes and economic reawakening. Honestly said, it is a BIG S-H-A-M-E for a country like ours, simply unforgivable, to my mind!
But don┤t forget that India virtually had no decent first-world malls up to the late 90┤s for a population of more than 1 billion people and suddenly the mall revolution started in India and nowadays Indian cities are full of great malls.

The mall revolution will/has to start in Lagos, too...because urban Nigerians love shopping and generally are pretty brand-conscious people (men and female alike)...In the coming years or decade, I am dead sure that more malls will start getting built in Lagos. There are currently two modern malls u/c in Abuja. The malls that exist in Lagos are running very well in terms of sales figures. ...let┤s hope that this will be the "onslaught" for an aggressive mall expansion which is long overdue!

First world malls are still non-existent for most parts of Africa. So the question of malls in Africa should be a addressed in 5 to 10 years again.
South Africa is the only place within Sub-Saharan Africa that is full of fantatsic mega malls (malls that you would/should expect to find in Nigeria as well).
Angola will likely see the sharpest rise of first world style mall construction in the coming years within sub-saharan Africa. They opened a new mall (phase I consists of 150 shops and phase II which is still u/c will have 400 shops in total. It will be among Africa┤s biggest malls on completition). Brazilian and Portuguese investors are planning more huge malls in Angola in the coming years due to some articles I have read. I hope that an African style theme mall will be among the projects. Do not forget that a 35$ billion dollar city is u/c in Luanda replete with first class hotels, offices, glitzy malls and golf courses. Three weeks back I repeatedly read an article in the German press on Luanda┤s boom. It is really awesome!

Senegal is about two open some nice malls. Ghana will get its first world style mall (Accra Mall) pretty soon. (There had been malls in Ghana - as well as in Nigeria before - but they are not really stylish and "first world like", in my eyes). As you can see Kenya has some nice malls, too! (see photos in the thread). Kenya and Uganda will most likely add more malls in the coming furture.
Expect some (more) mall construction coming out of the smaller and richer African countries like Botswana, Mauritius, Gabon, Namibia, La RÚunion and Cape Verde, but mall expansion will be limited in those countries due to the small population.
So come back in 5-10 years and you will find more pics of African malls.
Thanks for the explanetion Matthias, I believe there are some plances in Africa with enoght economy and people to have some great malls, one of then is Lagos, i thougt Lagos still has some bigs.
Luanda sure is another, like Maputo in the next year too, and this small but strong economy countries you have said.
J˘natas no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2007, 01:02 AM   #15
wiki

Likes (Received): 12

all those malls are impressive
wiki no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2007, 06:10 AM   #16
Harkeb
BANNED

Likes (Received): 5

LOL, many shop brands in african malls, are south african; and the interiors could easily be mistaken for malls in SA. It's great that SA companies are investing & spreading across Africa, to provide jobs and better quality of life for the locals.
Harkeb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2007, 06:14 AM   #17
Harkeb
BANNED

Canal Walk in Cape Town used to be the biggest, with over 400 stores. I don't know how it will compare to extended the Durban mall.

Africa's largest (current?) and most beautiful

Last edited by Harkeb; January 22nd, 2007 at 07:31 AM.
Old January 22nd, 2007, 07:30 AM   #18
Harkeb
BANNED

Victoria & Alfred Waterfront Mall, Cape Town

Last edited by Harkeb; January 22nd, 2007 at 07:41 AM.
Old January 22nd, 2007, 09:28 AM   #19
Tbite
Son of Oduduwa

Canal Walk is a little too colonial for my liking, do you have any pics for the interior of Victoria & Alfred Waterfront Mall, but yeah great stuff, South Africa is undoubtedly, the leader of modern shopping in africa followed by Kenya of course. Nigeria is playing catch up though, with the construction of the 80,000 m2 shopping and entertainment center in Tinapa
Old January 22nd, 2007, 11:16 AM   #20
Matthias Offodile

South African malls are fantastic....you wouldn┤t find such great theme malls even here in Germany. (got more department stores and small shops than malls) Canal Walk is absolutely beautiful and my favourite out of them all , Dubai-Style mall, gorgeous! Is is right that one can take a boat ride to the various sections of the complex? The Gateway Theatre shopping in Durban looks massive and very impressive, too!

Tags
africa, mall