daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Asian Forums > Asian Skyscraper Forums > East Asia > Mainland China Forums 中国大陆论坛 > City Hall/议事厅 > Society and Urbanization

Society and Urbanization Birth control, rural/urban development, migration, social topics etc.

Old April 25th, 2007, 12:45 PM   #1
kelvinyang
BANNED

Likes (Received): 20

Chinese and UK Math Test

Mathematicians set Chinese test

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/e...on/6589301.stm
kelvinyang no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old April 25th, 2007, 02:45 PM   #2
ningxiard

Likes (Received): 8

OMG, look at that question from the UK! That's a joke! I really couldn't stop laughing after checking it. I wonder if they just intentionally picked up the easiest question from the whole test. Even if that's the case, I still can't believe they would have put the most basic geometry question into a test for the first year undergraduate student.
ningxiard no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2007, 05:26 PM   #3
gaoanyu

Likes (Received): 5

UK undergrads come from all sorts of backgrounds. Some from China with more Maths learnt pre-uni, some from Africa possibly with very little Maths involved. Therefore, a balance need to be drawn in-between to make sure the majority students benefit.
From my own experience, maths taught in the UK is more about breadth than depth comparing to the maths taught in China. Indeed, take Sci&Eng courses for examples, the level of difficulty UK students were taught in maths is significantly lower their counterparts from China. On one hand, do Chinese students really need to learn that much Maths as they are learning now? I think not. On the other hand, is UK students really learning too little Maths? I think so. Therefore, a more sensible option would be somewhere in-between.
gaoanyu no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2007, 06:18 PM   #4
Sen

Likes (Received): 15

god i suck at math so much, I wish i am godly at math.
who can help me?
Sen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2007, 07:35 PM   #5
duskdawn
My Heart is with Beijing.

Likes (Received): 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by ningxiard View Post
OMG, look at that question from the UK! That's a joke!
I hope that question is a joke.
duskdawn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2007, 04:02 PM   #6
Andrew

Likes (Received): 23

Haha! This news really annoyed some people in the UK forums, have a read of this thread:
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...8#post12833468
Andrew no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2007, 04:16 PM   #7
Sen

many times it;s not that Chinese high schools teach more advanced topics, it's just that questions are tricky and are designed to rape you, I may be learning the same topics as my peers in China but I could never do their questions.
Old April 27th, 2007, 04:17 PM   #8
Sen

Quote:

However what really annoyed me was the trivialisation of first year university students. My diagnostic exam required us to calculate eigenvectors and values for a 3X3 matric, integrate and differentiate formulae involving nested functions, and went on to test fourier transforms which are not on the maths or further maths syllabus at A-level. I did not see a single geometry question, as they are BELOW the level of university students.
I think this is Chinese high school grade 12 level. But I am not sure.
Old April 27th, 2007, 04:29 PM   #9
didu
Lord of the Ring

Likes (Received): 1

nezzybaby has no idea what he's talking about. Geometry problems that involve rotations can be extremely hard. Things like finding the eigenvectors/values, or singular value decomposition or Green/Stokes's theorems are actually easy, since the algorithms for doing these things are very rigid. As long as you understand the meanings of the variables in the formulas, solving these problems is really a piece of cake.

On the other hand, seemingly simple geometry problems can be incredibly difficult and frustrating to solve. For example, problems such as calculating whether 2 cubes intersect, or a general solution for rotating one 3d vector to another with respect to different orders of axises, or calculating the minimum ellipsoid from a given set of points in 3d could take a university graduate of math major days even weeks to solve.
Old April 27th, 2007, 04:52 PM   #10
Kiss the Rain
人在纽西兰,心在中国.

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sen View Post
many times it;s not that Chinese high schools teach more advanced topics, it's just that questions are tricky and are designed to rape you, I may be learning the same topics as my peers in China but I could never do their questions.
Exactly, we just go into more depth then simply knowing a formula. When i atteneded school in china i especially enjoyed geometry questions that seeks to prove something, say a line equals another or two lines are parallel, really an intellectual treat.

Is loyalty always a virtue?
Is there absolute justice?

Moral of all this- don't read Shakespear, screw up your brain.
Kiss the Rain no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: