daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > Africa > Southern Africa > South Africa > Regional Development and Discussion > Western Cape > Cape Town > Projects

Old November 15th, 2005, 11:07 AM   #1
hsark
Afritect

Likes (Received): 116

#Broadway House-Office-12f-Cape Town CBD

Name: Broadway House
Floors: 12f
Use: Office/retail

Broadway Boulevard is adjacent to the Cape Town International Convention Centre, Standard Bank Centre, Nedbank Centre, Civic Centre – housing local government, Artscape and Naspers Head Office which are part of the important commercial and cultural centre of Central Cape Town.

The properties have been purchased for redevelopment by The Georgiou Group, a family concern based in Bloemfontein, who own properties in most strategic locations in South Africa. This development is testament to their commitment to Cape Town as they had previously purchased completed properties on an investment basis in Cape Town.

The 1st phase will be ready for occupation in July / August 2005. The conversion of old, mainly B grade properties in the Central City of Cape Town means that the current 73 040m2 vacancy (SAPOA Sept 2004) for Premium, A and B grade space in Central Cape Town will either be removed due to conversion, taken up by tenants being displaced and new tenants coming back to Cape Town’s Central City for strategic reasons. This development is superbly placed – geographically and in terms of timing – to take advantage of the predicted take up during 2005 and 2006.

The Retail aspect of the Development will be approx 6000m2 of Retail area catering to the occupants of Broadway Boulevard and to the tenants of all the surrounding properties. This will be coupled with an urban landscape plan for the area which will make this a highly desirable area to work in.

The Development will have a Total Rentable Area of approx. 40 000 m2 Offices and Retail space; 1130 security-controlled parking bays in the property and approx 6000m2 Retail space.

its being renovated into A-grade office space another one for the cbd more news soon ,it used to house the american embassy before they started work on it

one nation , one zambia

大阪, ŌsakaJapan

Last edited by hsark; June 12th, 2006 at 01:36 PM.
hsark no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old November 15th, 2005, 11:23 AM   #2
hsark
Afritect

this is part of the spearhead bookend dev. this will mean that they're trying to change all the old buildings into high-tech ones don't worry the ones under the hammer are from the 70s and 80s the place is booming

"Within the next 18 months, the second of the “bookend” buildings for Cape Town’s much-praised International Convention Centre, will have been completed.
The first “bookend” effectively creating a façade on the boundary on the westerly end of the convention centre precinct was the Arabella Sheraton Hotel"

one nation , one zambia

大阪, ŌsakaJapan
Old November 15th, 2005, 02:21 PM   #3
Cape Town Guy

Likes (Received): 0

looks very nice. the CBD is going to look so good when all these developments are done. but i guess it will never be finished, more just keeps happening.

Personal Blog
Cape Town Guy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2005, 05:05 PM   #4
hsark
Afritect

yea i just went to longstreet to see the developments and i can easily say that only 40% of the developments in the cbd have been posted here......

one nation , one zambia

大阪, ŌsakaJapan
Old November 15th, 2005, 09:44 PM   #5
thryve
°°°°°°°°°°

Likes (Received): 15

Well then! Let's get on it!
thryve no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2005, 08:18 AM   #6
Harkeb
BANNED

Likes (Received): 6

That building was an eyesore on Heerengracht. Beautiful, but some extra height would have been awesome, since there will be a greater demand for CBD office space in the near future.
Harkeb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2005, 10:01 AM   #7
SA BOY
back in the real world

Likes (Received): 47

good to see B grade office to A grade as apposed to new resi
Old November 22nd, 2005, 07:19 PM   #8
dysan1
More development

Likes (Received): 315

i like the colours of the new building...very nice
dysan1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2006, 01:38 PM   #9
hsark
Afritect

the rest of the development quite big eh!!

one nation , one zambia

大阪, ŌsakaJapan
Old June 12th, 2006, 07:30 PM   #10
dysan1
More development

good to see the full scale, for i was wondering where 40 000m2 was in the tiny pic we had before.

Even tho i like the design, this building really upsets me alot. its a land hog. it could be much taller!! these low buildings are taking up alot of central ct and dont serve in helping add to the skyline
Old June 12th, 2006, 10:12 PM   #11
thryve
°°°°°°°°°°

Skyline shmyline, tall buildings are so overrated.

This is going to add a nice chunk of high-quality office space to Cape Town's CBD. I'm pleased
thryve no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2006, 02:03 AM   #12
Harkeb
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by dysan1
good to see the full scale, for i was wondering where 40 000m2 was in the tiny pic we had before.

Even tho i like the design, this building really upsets me alot. its a land hog. it could be much taller!! these low buildings are taking up alot of central ct and dont serve in helping add to the skyline
Amen brother. pisses me off a great deal too! Why, o why cant people see that CT is running out of space, and the only way is up?
Old June 13th, 2006, 12:45 PM   #13
dysan1
More development

thyrve...understand the problem mate...the foreshore is being filled up with buildings in the 6-12F level, with only the convention tower at 15F. Now it seems great that development is happening, but what happens in 4 years when there is no land or buildings available to redevelop? what they gonna do? they needed, with a dev like this one, to use half the land and triple the height
Old June 13th, 2006, 12:49 PM   #14
mike2005

I agree with mike. CPT CBD will continue to boom esp with the new DA administration and there is going to be a big shortage of space down there in a few years.
mike2005 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2006, 03:36 PM   #15
dysan1
More development

it will only boom if clear land use guidelines are implemmented, otherwise it will be an unsustainable boom that will leave a scar on the city (in my mind), for buildings like this one will have used up all the land. with no more land there will be BIG problems
Old July 10th, 2006, 10:59 AM   #16
Caisson Boy
Karoo Prime

Likes (Received): 52

That's the old Monte Carlo conference centre, isn't it. About time they did something to it/with it. All those hundreds and hundreds of tiny tiny windows! I wish they would do something to Customs House, but then again, these old modernist/brutalist buildings also stand as a monument to a certain way of thinking, design and future-orientated thinking - only they look very dated to us today. But so will these buildings in a few years, that is how it goes. There is no such thing as timeless architecture. Does one always have to constantly renew and update? Are buildings not a way of remembering? I look at Harkerb's post in the gallery thread of 1930s Cape Town, most of which is gone now (these were taken before the reclamation of the foreshore and before most of Adderley street was demolished and replaced with Modernist blocks), and I think, isn't it sad that we can only remember through pictures now? Or the ghastly reconstructions of those lost buildings in the form of Grand West.

Don't get me wrong - the newer version of Monte Carlo building looks better to me too, but I'm in two minds as to whether it is so great to erase buildings from our cityscapes.
Old July 11th, 2006, 05:56 AM   #17
Harkeb
BANNED

I hear what your saying, but most (if not all)those 70's office blocks in the city have no character. They seemed to have been hurrily put up to keep pace with demand for office space at the time. Monte Carlo was one of them, and Im glad to see it gone.
Old August 15th, 2006, 02:28 PM   #18
SA BOY
back in the real world

Likes (Received): 47

any news on this?
Old August 15th, 2006, 03:37 PM   #19
Caisson Boy
Karoo Prime

Likes (Received): 52

Defo under construction. I have a picture, but it is not much to look at. Everything is being done behind green nets, like those "Considerate Construction Schemes" in London. But they're definitely moving on this one. The entire block, i.e. Broadway and Monte Carlo.
Old September 11th, 2006, 08:42 AM   #20
Harkeb
BANNED

Aug2006