Votes: 28 0.9%
  • 3 Or Less :tongue3:

Votes: 197 6.2%

New York • Manhattan - USA

843K views 3K replies 1K participants last post by  bar10der 
G
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
#102 ·
Looking at the NY skyline from the top of the ESB, especially the view to the north, is simply the most awesome sight in the world. When I first saw the Grand Canyon, I spent about 10 minutes staring at it. On one of my trips to the 86th floor, I spent more than two and a half hours taking it all in.

You know the scene in the Titanic movie where Jack stands at the tip of the ship and yells: "I am the king of the world!". That is what it feels like to be atop the ESB on a clear day.

G
#104 ·
Too plain

sure new york has a great skyline but it aint as good as hong kongs, there are many skyscrapers in NY and i really like that but quantity isnt always key, like LA has a very nice skyline, and so does miami, overall i give NY a 8.5 i feel bad cause every post is a 10 pretty much

#114 ·
OK the New York skyline is definitely not attractive from a side-on view, but I like the fact that it doesn't just stand there and look pretty - it actually functions as a living and breathing city, and isn't afraid to get its hands dirty. That's what is so good about NY. Plus, it looks amazing when you're actually looking out from IN the city (not that I've been there.) 9/10.

#115 ·
SIMPLY THE BEST, a ten out of ten is not suited for it, maybe a twenty out of ten!
New York, I love NYC!!!! Especially when I watch TRL, the view of Times Square with all the TV monitors, shops, cafes, restos, pubs, bars, TOWERS, and the old, 20s-80's feel. NYC's near perfect! Very clean, cosmopolitan, vibrant, wow, everything in it blends perfectly! I'm so excited for March 2005, here i come NY!

#116 ·
definately 10/10

But I really, really don't understand why some people on this forum vote 3 or less for this skyline. I truly don't understand what those people are doing on this forum, I can understand that you don't like some buildings or some different styles, but as a skyscraperlover you just have to respect this city's history and it's leading role in urban/skyline development.

#123 ·
I live In New Jersey so I see NYC alot great city something always going on. The skyline has always been one of the world's finest but it's starting to slip against emerging cities like Shanghai,and Taipei. Thought the new Freedom tower just might bring my vote up to a 10.

Voted 8.5 by the way

#124 ·
I'm from Chicago, and New York is undeniably a 10. Only three skylines in the world deserve a 10--New York, Hong Kong, and Chicago

New York of course has two skylines. The reason for this: the island of Manhattan is actually composed of very sturdy bedrock at its southern tip, but that bedrock soon gives way to a soft layer unable to support very tall buildings. Then, the bedrock returns again at Midtown. This is why the skyline of Manhattan is so high at Lower Manhattan, only to lower itself significantly, and then rise back up to incredible heights at Midtown. Imagine if Lower Manhattan and Midtown were continuous? That'd be so amazing. Nevertheless, either Lower Manhattan or Midtown standing alone could blow away most of the competition.

Where I think New York has the edge on Chicago is in the following two respects (and I a lot of Chicago people are going to get on my case for this):
(1) Manhattan has so many mid-range buildings around 10-25 stories that it is able to sustain that dense, canyon feel (that I just dig so much) over a more widespread area. Chicago is definitely very dense, but that density drops off significantly after you get north of North Avenue (although the high-rises apartments continue in force in a thin strip along the lakefront).
(2) Although Chicago is one of the greatest architectural centers in the world, displaying a really broad away of styles, I think Manhattan has a slightly more historical feel to it. This is not to say that Chicago's architecture is not as varied as Manhattan's, but when I look at both skylines as a whole, Manhattan edges Chicago out. I think a strong case can be made for the fact that Chicago is filling in the area north of the Loop, known as River North, with some pretty nondescript architectural catastrophes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.