daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > Metropolis & States > Los Angeles > Los Angeles forums > Greater L.A. Area > Orange County

Old March 18th, 2011, 02:35 AM   #1
dennis911

Likes (Received): 21

Anaheim is not LA????

I see lots of people say this on the web, yet Anaheim is apart of the LA metro area according to the government

Which is it?
dennis911 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old March 18th, 2011, 03:42 AM   #2
Imperfect Ending
Or is it?

Likes (Received): 121

It's not in the same county but It's pretty woven into Los Angeles

Anaheim would be between Fullerton, Garden Grove and Orange.

Imperfect Ending no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2011, 04:09 AM   #3
milquetoast
L O S A N G E L E S

Likes (Received): 321

Whatchutalkinbout, Dennis?
milquetoast no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2011, 05:07 AM   #4
dennis911

Quote:
Originally Posted by milquetoast View Post
Whatchutalkinbout, Dennis?
I mean when I go to Orange county, I sometimes say that I'm in the LA area. The Locals get mad and say that Anaheim is not LA and that the OC is totally different.
Old March 18th, 2011, 06:11 AM   #5
losangelino

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis911 View Post
I mean when I go to Orange county, I sometimes say that I'm in the LA area. The Locals get mad and say that Anaheim is not LA and that the OC is totally different.
Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim
losangelino no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2011, 06:54 AM   #6
Imperfect Ending
Or is it?

Likes (Received): 121

Quote:
Their freeway is wider and way more lavish but that's just about it

msquaredb liked this post
Imperfect Ending no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2011, 07:41 AM   #7
saiholmes

Likes (Received): 245

The Greater Los Angeles Area, or the Southland, is a term used for the Combined Statistical Area (a group of interacting metropolitan areas) sprawled over five counties in the southern part of California, namely Los Angeles County, Orange County, San Bernardino County, Riverside County and Ventura County. It has been one of the fastest growing regions in the United States for decades, first in Los Angeles County, then Orange County, and now in the Inland Empire. As of 2005, the official estimate of the population of the Los Angeles metropolitan area is more than 12.9 million, while in 2009 the larger five-county region had a population of over 17.6 million. Either definition makes it the second-largest core-based statistical area in the country, behind the New York metropolitan area.[2] The term "Southland" has also been used to refer to all of Southern California.[3]
saiholmes no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2011, 06:23 PM   #8
pesto

Likes (Received): 247

First of all, not a good sign for Anaheim that they can't make it onto the map.

I think you can comfortably say that Anaheim is part of the LA area, as is all of the OC. Seriously, the LA Rams and LA Angels played in Anaheim. And to say that some in the OC distance themselves from LA doesn't mean much since many OC residents distance themselves from Anaheim as well.

But as we have discussed before, "LA" has different meanings in different contexts.
pesto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2011, 06:50 PM   #9
dennis911

Quote:
Originally Posted by pesto View Post
First of all, not a good sign for Anaheim that they can't make it onto the map.

I think you can comfortably say that Anaheim is part of the LA area, as is all of the OC. Seriously, the LA Rams and LA Angels played in Anaheim. And to say that some in the OC distance themselves from LA doesn't mean much since many OC residents distance themselves from Anaheim as well.

But as we have discussed before, "LA" has different meanings in different contexts.
Thanks. Because during the rumors of the Sacramento Kings moving to LA, I have heard the the team will be called the Los Angeles Royals, and some people in the OC claimed Anaheim is not LA and not a suburb of LA, and the team should be called the Anaheim Royals.

Last edited by dennis911; March 18th, 2011 at 07:00 PM.
Old March 19th, 2011, 12:32 AM   #10
slipperydog

Likes (Received): 411

Are we just talking about Anaheim, or the OC as a whole? Orange County is definitely the LA area. Same market, same television channels, etc. But there are some pretty stark cultural and demographic differences.
slipperydog no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2011, 05:14 AM   #11
dennis911

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipperydog View Post
Are we just talking about Anaheim, or the OC as a whole? Orange County is definitely the LA area. Same market, same television channels, etc. But there are some pretty stark cultural and demographic differences.
Orange county.
Old March 19th, 2011, 10:38 AM   #12
milquetoast
L O S A N G E L E S

Speaking of Orange County ...
BAM!
SIMPLY THE GREATEST ******* THING TO EVER HAPPEN TO ME!
I THINK THESE TWO KIDS SHOULD MAKE BABIES ...
RIGHT NOW!
THAT'S ANAHEIM'S OWN REBECCA BLACK AND THE NATION'S GREATEST SENSATION!
WANT PROOF?
<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/CD2LRROpph0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
YOUR ANAHEIM FRIENDS SHOULD BE PROUD!
Old March 19th, 2011, 05:05 PM   #13
pesto

Likes (Received): 247

milq: you have a genius for finding the news that I missed.

Cultural differences can also be found within the OC. South County people look upon Santa Ana as being hopelessly rundown and Fullerton as basically the same as Downey or other south LA county cities. Some North County look upon South County as rich, but no culture hicks, not really living in the city at all. Any group of 3M plus is going to have a range of attitudes.
pesto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2011, 12:25 AM   #14
dennis911

Quote:
Originally Posted by pesto View Post
milq: you have a genius for finding the news that I missed.

Cultural differences can also be found within the OC. South County people look upon Santa Ana as being hopelessly rundown and Fullerton as basically the same as Downey or other south LA county cities. Some North County look upon South County as rich, but no culture hicks, not really living in the city at all. Any group of 3M plus is going to have a range of attitudes.
So I guess Orange and Tustin look down on the larger cities huh.
Old March 20th, 2011, 12:33 AM   #15
pwalker

Likes (Received): 6

When Disneyland opened in 1955, there were still orange groves between Anaheim and Los Angeles. Obviously, no more. What once was a nearby town, then became a suburb, is now definitely part of the L.A. area.
pwalker no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2011, 01:03 AM   #16
Kenni
Super Mod

lol Orange County would not be what it thinks it is if it wasn't for LA. First of all there was NO Orange County till the turn of the past century when it was created out of the southern portion of LA County.

It is all Metropolitan LA, if they don't want to be part of it, how would they fend off on their own? They'd be like Monterrey and Santa Cruz with beautiful coasts, and a world famous amusement park. Which by the way, it was originally intended to be built north of Griffith Park where the Disney Buena Vista Studios are now, but they wanted part of the park and the City of Los Angeles said nope.
Walt used to take his kids to Griffith Park frequently since they lived close by, and his idea flourished from those visits.
Kenni no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2011, 01:17 AM   #17
chicagogeorge

Likes (Received): 701

Quote:

I've been to L.A. 6 time in the last 6 years. Every time I go there, I like it more and more. However, Dennis, you have a point. We always stay with my wife's uncle in San Juan Capistrano in southern OC. NONE of the local people I've talked with consider Orange County as "L.A", or part of Greater Los Angeles. The always call it SoCal. They actually have disdain for L.A. and L.A County. Anyone know why? Is it just a affluent thing with them?

As for Anaheim, my wife's uncle is opening up a Buffalo Wild Wings near there. I wasn't too impressed with that town. It looked pretty scummy to tell you the truth.

for the Pelasgians, too, were a Greek nation originally from the Peloponnesus
The Roman Antiquities of Dionysius of Halicarnassus
http://penelope.uchicago.edu/Thayer/...assus/1B*.html

Macedonia, of course, is a part of Greece". Strabo, VII, Frg. 9
http://penelope.uchicago.edu/Thayer/...ragments*.html

But north of the gulf, the first inhabitants are Greeks called Epirotes....
Procopius
http://books.google.com/books?id=9m6...page&q&f=false
chicagogeorge no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2011, 10:09 AM   #18
klamedia
Silver Lake

Likes (Received): 153

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imperfect Ending View Post
It's not in the same county but It's pretty woven into Los Angeles

Where the **** is Anaheim? If you can't make it onto a map then bitch you don't need to be talkin'.
klamedia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2011, 11:15 AM   #19
PragmaticIdealist

Likes (Received): 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagogeorge View Post
We always stay with my wife's uncle in San Juan Capistrano in southern OC. NONE of the local people I've talked with consider Orange County as "L.A", or part of Greater Los Angeles. The always call it SoCal. They actually have disdain for L.A. and L.A County. Anyone know why? Is it just a affluent thing with them?
The politics of the two counties couldn't be more different. Orange County, as a whole, is infamously regressive, as well as notoriously suburban-provincial. It attracts a very specific kind of individual, and he or she is likely to be behind the "Orange Curtain" for white-flight reasons. These are the people who insist that government money never be "wasted" on mass transit and that only the biggest and best freeways grace the landscape.

Walkable places like San Juan Capistrano are the exception in the county.
PragmaticIdealist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2011, 11:15 AM   #20
milquetoast
L O S A N G E L E S

That's ..... ****, that's RIGHT! And bitch? Leave Disney alone!
Don't bite the hand that made you!
bitchaheim ...