daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > General Developments and Discussions > Bridges

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 20th, 2010, 06:59 AM   #1
Xusein

Likes (Received): 10219

New Tappan Zee Bridge

image hosted on flickr

WTF? Tarrytown Lighthouse by jeffs4653, on Flickr

The current Tappan Zee Bridge in New York is 45 years old and talk of a replacement is going around.

Quote:
2 designs remain for new Tappan Zee Bridge

NEW CITY — There still isn't any money to replace the aging Tappan Zee Bridge but there are now two final designs for what the new bridge might look like.

One is a single-level span that would have room for trains to run in the middle, with bus lanes on either side of the tracks, and car and trucks traveling in the outer lanes (Plan 3, above).

The second design is a dual-level bridge (Plan 5, above). Trains would run underneath the north span. Vehicle traffic would be on the top level, with two dedicated bus lanes in the center. Because it would have fewer support structures than the single-level span, 66 compared with 118, it would take less time to construct.

Michael Anderson, leader of the Tappan Zee Bridge/Interstate 287 Corridor Project, unveiled the recommendations Friday in New City.

He said the two designs were narrowed from six options by the project's consultants — Earth Tech/AECOM, AECOM and Ove Arup, all of Manhattan — because they had the shortest construction times, lowest costs to build and the least environmental impact to the Hudson River. They also offered the greatest transportation flexibility and provided the safest emergency access.

"We haven't made any hard and fast decisions," Anderson said. "We're going to take these recommendations into consideration as we advance the DEIS (draft environmental impact statement)."

A new span to replace the soon-to-be 55-year-old Tappan Zee Bridge is just one part of the $16 billion project. It also would add bus rapid transit from Suffern to Port Chester along 30 miles of Interstate 287 and would call for the construction of a new passenger rail line across Rockland, over the new bridge and into Westchester onto Metro-North Railroad's Hudson Line, ending at Grand Central Terminal in Manhattan.

A new bridge with highway improvements in Rockland would cost $8.3 billion (the bridge alone is $6.4 billion); bus rapid transit would run $1 billion; and the rail line would cost $6.7 billion in 2012 dollars.

The two final bridge recommendations, as well as the transit and highway improvements that were unveiled Friday, will be analyzed in the environmental review, which is due to be finalized early next year.

The state Department of Transportation is the lead agency and is supported by the state Thruway Authority and the Metropolitan Transportation Authority's Metro-North Railroad.

During the 3 1/2-hour meeting, project officials also said they were continuing to work on financing for the project but had secured no firm commitments.

Each of the bridge designs shares traits: four lanes in each direction; two dedicated bus lanes; safety shoulders; two railroad tracks (or the space to add them later); and a shared-use pedestrian and bicycle path on the north side of the span.

Anderson said in the case of the single-level span, where the train would run in its center, the tracks could be built at a later date in segmented sections at night, much like the ongoing deck replacement on the Tappan Zee Bridge.

The new bridge would be built about 400 feet north of the old one, and connect to the Thruway in the same places it does now.

The new bridge also would rise gradually to the midspan, unlike the current bridge, which features a steep grade to its highest point. That slope leads to many problems, Anderson said.

"We have determined that heavy trucks coming up this 3 percent grade ... results in a reduction of speed by about 15 mph," he said. "That is not good for traffic flow and probably contributes to a number of accidents."

It's also necessary to have a relatively flat grade in order for the trains to travel on the bridge.

Anderson spoke before more than 60 residents, politicians and transportation officials in New City at a meeting organized by Rockland County Legislature Chairwoman Harriet Cornell.

She has held similar summits on the project for the past six years.

Philip Ferguson, the head of the project's finance team, reported that it was focusing on the first phase of the project, namely securing $8.3 billion for the new bridge and highway improvements. It was looking at both "traditional and innovative" financing options, and said that it would require multiple funding sources.

Martin Robins, a transportation consultant who is working with the Rockland Legislature, said the cancellation of the New York-New Jersey rail tunnel project due to cost overruns proves how "brittle" the financing of public works projects are today.

"It just underscores the difficulty New York state DOT is having in 2010" in putting together a financing package, Robins said.
Link: http://www.lohud.com/article/201010160342

http://www.hdrinc.com/portfolio/tapp...bridge-project

Last edited by desertpunk; December 10th, 2013 at 08:09 AM. Reason: updates
Xusein no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 20th, 2010, 07:02 AM   #2
Xusein

The current bridge, which carries I-87 and I-287 and connects Westchester and Rockland Counties of New York.

http://home.fuse.net/ard/jandress/Ta...eFromBelow.jpg

http://mlibby.net/boston2004/pictures/tappan_zee.jpg
Old October 20th, 2010, 07:21 AM   #3
I-275westcoastfl

Likes (Received): 790

The bridge doesn't really look to be in too bad of shape, what's wrong with it exactly?

Highcliff, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
I-275westcoastfl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2010, 07:33 AM   #4
Xusein

It deals with more traffic than it was designed for, might have been made with inferior material, and has a lifetime of 50 years.
Old October 20th, 2010, 02:53 PM   #5
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 18940

Yes, it was built during the Korean War, and the materials of that time was of inferior quality.

$ 1 billion for just a number of bus lanes is an awful lot of money, I don't think you can ever justify that, especially considering there will also be a rail facility across the bridge.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Highcliff liked this post
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2010, 03:14 PM   #6
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 16998

Its not Earthqauke proof , its over Capacity. Its not safe , no shoulders. There are always accidents on that bridge. Bus Rapid Transit isn't really needed , Rail is very needed. Idk , why it would cost 1 billion to construct bus lanes smells like typical New York corruption.
Visit the New Jersey Section

Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2010, 04:19 PM   #7
cees
billieron

Likes (Received): 10

if u take a good look on the second pic, there's a lot of rust on the construction,..seems to me a bit tacky and seems to me bad maintained

cees no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2010, 05:48 AM   #8
Jim856796

Likes (Received): 843

They should just go for Plan 3. The current bridge is a cantilever bridge, it is unknown what the new bridge's type is.

You support the good projects... and oppose the bad.

Jim856796 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2010, 01:03 AM   #9
JohnFlint1985
I love New York

Likes (Received): 6559

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim856796 View Post
They should just go for Plan 3. The current bridge is a cantilever bridge, it is unknown what the new bridge's type is.
why? type 5 has RR in it and I am for building mass transit as much as possible. ARC tunnel is canceled and I hope that his one at least have some compensation for it.

"Dissent is the highest form of patriotism.” Thomas Jefferson
"We Shall Never Surrender." Winston Churchill
“Not all those who wander are lost.” J.R.R. Tolkien
"Patriotism is the virtue of the vicious." Oscar Wilde
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

Highcliff, Zaz965 liked this post
JohnFlint1985 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2010, 01:04 AM   #10
stevensp

Likes (Received): 65

I like plan 5... easier to me it seems...
although plan 3 is cleaner...

+ more project updates will be posted soon!

stevensp no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2010, 07:39 AM   #11
foxmulder

Likes (Received): 381

I prefer Plan-3 just because it looks more "spacious "

foxmulder no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2010, 09:32 PM   #12
speedy1979

Likes (Received): 131

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-275westcoastfl View Post
The bridge doesn't really look to be in too bad of shape, what's wrong with it exactly?
The pilings that support the bridge are made of wood. They are being eaten by ship-worms. There weren't any ship-worms for a long time due to pollution but now that the Hudson is cleaner they along with other types of sea life have returned.

speedy1979 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2010, 02:20 AM   #13
I-275westcoastfl

Wow thats crazy who's bright idea was it to use wood pilings on such a bridge..

Old October 26th, 2010, 03:28 AM   #14
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 16998

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-275westcoastfl View Post
Wow thats crazy who's bright idea was it to use wood pilings on such a bridge..
there alot of Bridges with Wood pilings around here and even wooden Railway bridges..
Visit the New Jersey Section

Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2010, 05:52 AM   #15
dibble zee
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

I like Plan 3 but both are great.
dibble zee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2010, 07:07 PM   #16
I-275westcoastfl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis View Post
there alot of Bridges with Wood pilings around here and even wooden Railway bridges..
I know its an old method but by that time I would think they had better methods to use. They should make that bus lane an express toll/HOV lane at least get some money back from it, what a waste.

Last edited by I-275westcoastfl; October 28th, 2010 at 07:13 PM.
Old October 28th, 2010, 09:47 PM   #17
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 18940

Wood piles will be conserved as long as they remain under water. I believe a lot of piling in Amsterdam and Venezia is wood.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2010, 04:00 AM   #18
scalziand
Naugatuckian

Likes (Received): 181

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Wood piles will be conserved as long as they remain under water. I believe a lot of piling in Amsterdam and Venezia is wood.
It used to be that the river was polluted enough that it killed off the wood borers that would eat through wooden pilings. Now that the river is cleaner, the wood borers are coming back. This has been a problem for some of the old piers around Manhattan.

scalziand no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2010, 04:58 AM   #19
Fargo Wolf
Resident Smartass.

Likes (Received): 17

I can't decide. Both are equally good, though Plan 5 would allow for easy subway expansion on the other portion of the bridge.

Fargo Wolf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2010, 10:03 PM   #20
Simfan34
Complainer-in-Chief

Likes (Received): 2461

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Yes, it was built during the Korean War, and the materials of that time was of inferior quality.

$ 1 billion for just a number of bus lanes is an awful lot of money, I don't think you can ever justify that, especially considering there will also be a rail facility across the bridge.
Things in America are just expensive due to labor and high material prices (low and antiquated production) I prefer 3.

Simfan34 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
hudson river, new tappan zee bridge, new york, tappan zee