daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » completed | under construction | proposed | demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 5th, 2015, 01:17 PM   #3341
lwa

Likes (Received): 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieP View Post
The Premiership season is going to start after the group phase (so presumably the weekend of Sat 17 October). To delay it until November would mean it finishing in July!

www.premiershiprugby.com/news/33157.php

NB The World Cup is starting a week later than it did in 2007, thanks to the insistence of the SANZAR nations. I really hope that having the Final on Halloween doesn't backfire.
Ah, come to think of it, I did know that.. Have they announced actual fixture dates yet? Can still see there being a few midweek rounds (I'm assuming the LV Cup is being played as usual as well?) to get all the games played.
lwa no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old June 5th, 2015, 06:14 PM   #3342
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 6149

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnerJacket View Post
My poll of one person says the reason is that (American) football fans are more used to that experience, seeing as it's a fall/winter sport, and because they have so few home games it's expected you need to stick it out.

That or the footie fans you guys have in Toronto are a bunch of sissies!

Seriously, if it's lightning involved I'd perhaps be tucked away, as well, and if I had my kids with me I need to see to their interests. Daddy can stick it out but daddy can also drink away his woes and is more of a nutter at sporting events!
(Canadian) football fans are the same. We'll sit there in -20C and a blizzard. Toronto? This is the city that once called in the army when it got a snow storm. Toronto does have a reputation within Canada for being a bunch of wimps.

Lightning? That's cause for cancelling a game as it's not safe.

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
isaidso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2015, 11:27 PM   #3343
Red85
AARRGGHH

Likes (Received): 86

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnerJacket View Post
(...)

(Reformatted for cleaner presentation)
50.058 Ajax
45.331 Feyenoord
32.529 PSV
28.494 FC Twente
24.314 Heerenveen
20.193 Groningen
18.035 NAC Breda
17.149 Vitesse
16.708 FC Utrecht
15.512 AZ
12.241 Willem II
12.213 PEC Zwolle
11.981 ADO
_9.710 Cambuur
_8.305 Heracles
_7.880 GA Eagles
_3.872 Dordrecht
_3.516 Excelsior

I really admire how well the Dutch support their clubs for such a comparably small nation. Especially pleased to see Twente, Heerenveen and Groningen making progress in chipping away at the oligopoly of the big three. (Nothing against the Dutch powers, I just appreciate that other clubs are making progress)
Than to think that The Eredivisie clubs lost their quality over the years. Not a European final in 10 years, all the best players abroad, bad weather and sometimes even worse football than you can imagine.
And still we come to see our clubs play.
Because it's fun.

Next year: Dordrecht (4.000), Go Ahead (8.500) and NAC (19.000) will be swapped with NEC, De Graafschap (both 12.500) and Roda (19.500). And Heracles is expanding from 8.500 to 13.500 at the moment. So I guess averages will be higher. In fact, only Excelsior has a stadium under 10.000.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexandru.mircea View Post
^and to think there are still a few underachieving football cities left in the Netherlands! If Utrecht and especially The Hague would have clubs that honour the city size and potential, the Dutch top flight would be truly amazing.
Or Arnhem with Vitesse. Support comes with succes they say, Arnhem is the exeption on that rule.

As for ADO and FC Utrecht? Utrecht sells out only once a season, when Ajax visits. Big mouths, no results.

ADO has potential, massive. In the 70's and 80's it managed to receive 25.000+ crowds, but then the riots, hooligans, drugs and white trash came in. The others went to hockey.
If you go futher down in history, the Hague has four clubs and 16 national titles. Also others managed to gain crowds which are way higher than ADO manages at the moment. It's all history where football thrives on in that city.

alexandru.mircea liked this post
Red85 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2015, 02:57 PM   #3344
Kerrybai
Erin go bragh

Likes (Received): 184

Kerrybai no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2015, 03:05 PM   #3345
CharlieP
Who insults FSM must diet

Likes (Received): 795

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwa View Post
Ah, come to think of it, I did know that.. Have they announced actual fixture dates yet? Can still see there being a few midweek rounds (I'm assuming the LV Cup is being played as usual as well?) to get all the games played.
I haven't seen an official start date, but you can infer it from the dates of the various friendly series. The Kings of the North and West Country Challenge Cup both finish on 10 or 11 October (I don't know if others have been set up yet), so it would be a pretty good bet that the weekend of 17 October will see the start of the Premiership.

I was wondering the same about the LV Cup, but if they scrapped it next season it would mean that all five rounds of the Six Nations would clash with Premiership matches, and I'm sure the clubs would have something to say about that! Maybe a reduced version with three pool games per club (play the others in your pool) rather than four (play everybody in a parallel pool)?

EDIT: I've just checked, and there's no LV Cup next season.

http://www.runningrugby.com/law-and-...015-16-season/

Last edited by CharlieP; June 6th, 2015 at 03:19 PM.
CharlieP no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2015, 03:32 AM   #3346
bd popeye

Likes (Received): 2351

MLS attendance thus far for the 2015 MLS season

August 1971 - August 1991

I yam what I yam!
bd popeye no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2015, 01:23 PM   #3347
GunnerJacket
Oh look - a doughnut!

Likes (Received): 953

Oh my. Montreal's latest home game came painfully close to falling below that 10k threshold! If that's our low for the season then that's passable, but c'mon fans let's not get any lower!

Still holding above 20k by more than a shout, which is good considering most teams improve as we move into the summer weather. All in all still looking good.
Old June 9th, 2015, 11:32 PM   #3348
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 6149

That Montreal figure is troubling. Maybe someone from Montreal can rhyme in on what's happening. I'm guessing this is just an aberration.

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
isaidso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2015, 02:42 PM   #3349
bd popeye

Likes (Received): 2351

U.S. reaches Women's World Cup semifinals with 1-0 win over China

Lansdowne Stadium, Ottawa
Attendance: 24,141
Referee: Carina Vitulano (Italy)

I believe this game was sold out.

=========================================

MLS attendance for 2015 thru June 21st 2015.

August 1971 - August 1991

I yam what I yam!
bd popeye no está en línea   Reply With Quote