daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Asian Forums > Asian Skyscraper Forums > South East Asia > Cambodia forum > Cambodia > Infrastructure & Tourism

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 16th, 2010, 06:15 PM   #1
KlaKhmer

Likes (Received): 1

Sidewalk Issues in Cambodia

There are always one thing that surprises me. Cars are always park on the sidewalk everywhere. It is dangerous for people to walk on the lane. How to make shopping with a lot of bag if there are cars on sidewalk ?
KlaKhmer no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old October 18th, 2010, 01:46 AM   #2
Asian

Likes (Received): 18

Cambodia should remove all parkings on sidewalks in Phnom Penh and anywhere else in the country.

besdongKK liked this post
Asian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2010, 06:35 AM   #3
LuvKhm3r
Asian kid

If they do, the sidewalk will be bigger...
Old October 18th, 2010, 07:54 AM   #4
mrfusion
Home Energy Reactor

Likes (Received): 135

I agree, business and individual take for granted that the footpath belongs to them, you need to get rid of all business activities, no small business selling cakes or toys on the footpath, (probably means lots of market will disappear) , not allow to use it as extension of your shop and put tables etc. Get rid of all illegal constructions, stairs, etc. (This would be a big challenge, as the internal stairs is probably blocked or people sublease their 2nd/3rd floor to others, these people that live on the 2nd/3rd floor will no longer has a way to get back to their units.

When you solve that, the government also have to rebuild the footpath so it is level

Parking is not actually a big issue if the footpath is cleared, the footpath is big, it can accommodate a regular footpath as well as a car. But double park, or triple park, forcing a triple lane traffic into one lane, is a major causes of traffic jam in Phnom Penh.

One of the basic differences between God and humans is, God gives, gives and forgives, Humans gets, gets and forgets.
mrfusion está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2010, 11:42 AM   #5
mrfusion
Home Energy Reactor

Interestingly, such implementation was in place, I don't know if anyone enforced it.

http://www.sinchew-i.com/cambodia/node/16181

Sorry, I only know of a chinese newspaper articles, I don't know if there is a english version. But the pictures is a good illustration on what the government is trying to do.

Basically, they want 3m from the facade of the building to be reserved for people to walk on.

One of the basic differences between God and humans is, God gives, gives and forgives, Humans gets, gets and forgets.
Old October 18th, 2010, 04:29 PM   #6
KlaKhmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfusion View Post
Interestingly, such implementation was in place, I don't know if anyone enforced it.

http://www.sinchew-i.com/cambodia/node/16181

Sorry, I only know of a chinese newspaper articles, I don't know if there is a english version. But the pictures is a good illustration on what the government is trying to do.

Basically, they want 3m from the facade of the building to be reserved for people to walk on.
Thank you Mr.Fusion for this great article. I used translator
Yes very good news.

This is an urbanism law that should be respected as much as possible every where.

In a little sidewalk, I think a minimum of 1,5 m is needed for people. Because car open the door...
Old October 18th, 2010, 04:39 PM   #7
KlaKhmer

Quote:
I agree, business and individual take for granted that the footpath belongs to them, you need to get rid of all business activities, no small business selling cakes or toys on the footpath, (probably means lots of market will disappear) , not allow to use it as extension of your shop and put tables etc. Get rid of all illegal constructions, stairs, etc. (This would be a big challenge, as the internal stairs is probably blocked or people sublease their 2nd/3rd floor to others, these people that live on the 2nd/3rd floor will no longer has a way to get back to their units.

When you solve that, the government also have to rebuild the footpath so it is level

Parking is not actually a big issue if the footpath is cleared, the footpath is big, it can accommodate a regular footpath as well as a car. But double park, or triple park, forcing a triple lane traffic into one lane, is a major causes of traffic jam in Phnom Penh.
I think terrace on sidewalk is good for restaurant for example. But Terrace should let 1,5m free for people to walk. If there is no space less than 1,5m to walk, so no terrace.

Instead of double or triple (?) park, why not to put park for cycle and cars in the same line ? The head of the line if for cycle and behind for car . So, no double or triple. But this will not decrease traffic jam.
Old October 19th, 2010, 02:54 AM   #8
LuvKhm3r
Asian kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by KlaKhmer View Post
Yes very good news.

This is an urbanism law that should be respected as much as possible every where.

In a little sidewalk, I think a minimum of 1,5 m is needed for people. Because car open the door...
I agree....
Old October 20th, 2010, 03:49 PM   #9
alinageorge

Likes (Received): 0

Well according to my point of view, I think that the issues associated with land rights disputes and sidewalks continue to dominate the headlines in the media in Cambodia today.
alinageorge no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2010, 04:44 PM   #10
KlaKhmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by alinageorge View Post
Well according to my point of view, I think that the issues associated with land rights disputes and sidewalks continue to dominate the headlines in the media in Cambodia today.
Really, it is an headline in media ? So, it is good if people feels concern by that.

-- delete -- I misunderstood

Last edited by KlaKhmer; October 25th, 2010 at 12:31 PM.
Old October 25th, 2010, 06:55 AM   #11
mrfusion
Home Energy Reactor

Quote:
Originally Posted by KlaKhmer View Post
Yes very good news.
It is good news, but I don't see it happen.

Quote:
Narrow roads means narrow sidewalk. Car opening doors is little concern, because you always check for people/things before you open the doors.

But in these narrow roads, it is usually also full of bikes, Tok Tok, and these drivers doesn't care it block the roads. We need to ban small restaurant operate in these narrow roads, and/or use the road as their Kitchen.

Old October 25th, 2010, 12:38 PM   #12
KlaKhmer

Sure. Law should be made for all. Restaurant have to respect sidewalk as much as driver driver.
I like to eat outside on the terrasse of restaurant. But I like to walk peacefully too . So, Nobody must block the sildewalk. If restaurant let people walk correctly without make slalom it is ok even if they put table. But in the case or narrow road/sidewalk, priority is for people who walked.
Then, car/cycle or restaurant priority ?
Old May 10th, 2014, 06:40 PM   #13
mrfusion
Home Energy Reactor

Parking rules kicked to kerb

http://www.phnompenhpost.com/nationa...es-kicked-kerb

Quote:

City Hall is turning its focus to Phnom Penh’s “anarchic parking” situation.

Phnom Penh Governor Pa Socheatvong yesterday said the municipality plans to cancel old contracts awarding private companies the right to charge for parking in certain parts of the city, and introduce new restrictions on roadside parking in a bid to ease traffic for both vehicles and pedestrians.

The new measures, Socheatvong said, will put an end to parking on sidewalks, and curb the amount of space occupied by street vendors.

“For contracted parking and anarchic parking along some roads in the city [where] they charge for parking in front of residents’ houses, the Phnom Penh Municipality has decided to cancel this,” Socheatvong said.

“Residents must not take up the sidewalks to run their businesses – at least 50 per cent of the sidewalk must be left for pedestrians,” he added.

Socheatvong said the city would also formulate a plan to allow parking on certain streets on even-numbered days of the month, while forbidding it on odd-numbered days, but would “cut some space of gardens or parks to [create] public parking”.

Some residents, like Daun Penh district’s Sam Sareth, welcomed the plans yesterday.

“We would be very happy if municipal authorities had a measure to cancel paid parking [on sidewalks], because in the past, authorities seized sidewalks from pedestrians,” he said. “Even the front of my house was contracted to a private company to make a paid parking lot.”

However, the supervisor of a large office building on Monivong Boulevard whose sidewalks were thick with cars and SUVs yesterday, said she worried that a lack of parking might drive away business.

“The plan affects my business a little as well, [because] when our business area is short of parking for the clients,” they might go elsewhere, said the manager, who asked not to be named.

A date for implementing the plan hasn’t been set, but some City Hall officials speaking on condition of anonymity hinted it could come after the coming municipal, provincial and district council elections.

City Hall spokesman Long Dimanche, municipal deputy chief of administration Huot Hay and Phnom Penh Deputy Governor Khuong Sren all declined to comment yesterday.

Old May 10th, 2014, 06:41 PM   #14
mrfusion
Home Energy Reactor

Quote:
“Residents must not take up the sidewalks to run their businesses – at least 50 per cent of the sidewalk must be left for pedestrians,” he added.
I would love to see this happen.

Old May 10th, 2014, 06:42 PM   #15
mrfusion
Home Energy Reactor

This was posted 4 years ago.

Old May 27th, 2014, 06:32 AM   #16
SteelBird

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
This was posted 4 years ago.

The fact is that most of Cambodian people don't walk. Further, there aren't enough parking space in Phnom Penh.
SteelBird no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2014, 07:45 AM   #17
mrfusion
Home Energy Reactor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelBird View Post

The fact is that most of Cambodian people don't walk. Further, there aren't enough parking space in Phnom Penh.
That is not true, people do walk, parking space is indeed a issue, another problem is people think they must park right outside what ever they are visiting, we need major parking station, and tow away anything blocking the road, and of course reclaim and rebuild the footpath,

Old June 19th, 2014, 10:40 PM   #18
PinPeat

Likes (Received): 9494

https://www.facebook.com/matthew.robinson.7796

WilliamsP liked this post
PinPeat no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2014, 10:41 PM   #19
PinPeat

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater

Last edited by PinPeat; July 9th, 2014 at 06:19 PM.
Old June 19th, 2014, 10:42 PM   #20
PinPeat

Is anyone in control of this city? Can private developers just do what they like? Here a hotel owner 'takes' more than three feet of public pavement for his own profit. Look at what's left for pedestrians to walk safely on - except it's not safe. What about people with pushchairs for their kids? Those in authority, whoever they may be, shrug their shoulders it seems ...

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater

Last edited by PinPeat; July 9th, 2014 at 06:19 PM.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: