daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Asian Forums > India > South > Trivandrum



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old October 7th, 2008, 04:25 AM   #1
BabuCS
C. S. Babu
 
BabuCS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Trivandrum
Posts: 1,046
Likes (Received): 65

Trivandrum - Education and Research Thread

Hi All,

Info on educational and research front could be moved to this new thread. Examples include news about IISER, IIST, RGCB, International schools etc.

Last edited by BabuCS; November 4th, 2008 at 04:34 AM.
BabuCS no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
 
Old October 8th, 2008, 12:32 PM   #2
BabuCS
C. S. Babu
 
BabuCS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Trivandrum
Posts: 1,046
Likes (Received): 65



The Trivandrum International School (TIS) entered its fifth year this academic year.
The school is a recognized Cambridge International Examinations (CIE) centre and conducts IGCSE and A and AS level
courses. It also has a parallel ICSE school system. The student body is a mixture of both day scholars and boarders.

Hope the city will get more such schools and it will surely uplift the quality of education in Trivandrum.

http://www.trins.org/

Last edited by BabuCS; October 13th, 2008 at 08:36 AM.
BabuCS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2008, 11:55 AM   #3
sreeeraaaj
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 2
Likes (Received): 0

pls publish more photos of vithura iiser campus.....what about the proposed aiims at mch
sreeeraaaj no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2008, 05:07 AM   #4
BabuCS
C. S. Babu
 
BabuCS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Trivandrum
Posts: 1,046
Likes (Received): 65

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreeeraaaj View Post
pls publish more photos of vithura iiser campus.....what about the proposed aiims at mch
My understanding is that the land is only being acquired at Vithura, but the classes for this academic year is in full swing at CET campus. Hope we will get a plan of the campus soon.
BabuCS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2008, 04:38 AM   #5
ajithv
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Thiruvananthapuram
Posts: 10,649
Likes (Received): 328



IGNOU's Thiruvananthapuram Centre will start functioning within one month.

Source : Kerala Kaumudi
ajithv no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2008, 05:50 AM   #6
BabuCS
C. S. Babu
 
BabuCS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Trivandrum
Posts: 1,046
Likes (Received): 65

I also heard that our IIITMK plans to collaborate with IGNOU for starting advanced research programmes in computational sciences that will include computational chemistry/biology, bioinformatics and eco-informatics.
That will make IIITMK one of the unique institiutes in India that will pursue IT management and computational sciences under a common platform.

http://www.iiitmk.ac.in/

Last edited by BabuCS; October 13th, 2008 at 06:09 AM.
BabuCS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2008, 06:04 AM   #7
BabuCS
C. S. Babu
 
BabuCS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Trivandrum
Posts: 1,046
Likes (Received): 65



Gurukul school is another school in Trivandrum that has a different approach to learning. Not sure whether they teach international curriculum or Indian curriculum, but they have deviated from our traditional kerala mode of instruction; something close to international standards.

http://www.gurukulkerala.org/
BabuCS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2008, 04:45 AM   #8
Gopal.K.Kumar
Registered User
 
Gopal.K.Kumar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Thiruvananthapuram / Bangalore /Mumbai / Lucknow
Posts: 357
Likes (Received): 52

Is any one having information on developments at RGCB post transfer to GOI?
Gopal.K.Kumar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2008, 04:41 AM   #9
BabuCS
C. S. Babu
 
BabuCS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Trivandrum
Posts: 1,046
Likes (Received): 65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gopal.K.Kumar View Post
Is any one having information on developments at RGCB post transfer to GOI?
Not much I guess. There has been some talk of acquiring some more land for expansion near IISER, but not much movement yet.
BabuCS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2008, 11:53 AM   #10
vinodtnt
Trivandrum Lobby
 
vinodtnt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Trivandrum™
Posts: 2,098
Likes (Received): 410

IISER plans to establish new centre at Vithura

Thiruvananthapuram: The first phase of construction of new buildings for the Indian Institute of Science Education & Research (IISER) is likely to be completed by August 2010.

Mr. M.A. Baby, Education Minister, Kerala has given the documents of the land provided by the Government at Vithura to construct the institute premises, while requesting the institute that its construction be eco-friendly.

Director of IISER Eluvathingal D. Jemmis said, "We are expecting that the second phase of the construction would be completed by mid 2012".

The institute will be fully functional within seven years.

www
vinodtnt no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2008, 05:10 PM   #11
BabuCS
C. S. Babu
 
BabuCS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Trivandrum
Posts: 1,046
Likes (Received): 65

[QUOTE=vinodtnt;26719262]Thiruvananthapuram: The first phase of construction of new buildings for the Indian Institute of Science Education & Research (IISER) is likely to be completed by August 2010.

That is a good news.

I believe the science city concept could be evolved with IISER as the nucleus.

A 1km radius from the institute could be identified wherein science based industries can be promoted. Institutes such as NIST, RGCB, VSSC and CESS could set up extension labs in this area and promote industries based on biotechnology, material science, and pharma sciences. Already IIST is in the vicinity of IISER.

In Taiwan, we have a science based industrial park, an integrated development of many basic science labs, technology transfer facilities, international schools, science based industries and high end computing facilities in a radius of 1km. This is in between two world class universities, one for technical education and the other for basic sciences.

TVM can look forward to having a similar development.

Last edited by BabuCS; October 17th, 2008 at 05:25 PM.
BabuCS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2008, 11:41 AM   #12
vinodtnt
Trivandrum Lobby
 
vinodtnt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Trivandrum™
Posts: 2,098
Likes (Received): 410

Astronomy centre coming up in Thiruvananthapuram

THIRUVANANTHAPURAM: Emin entphysicist C.V.Raman, one of the big names in modern astronomy, will be remembered through a centre for basic astronomy opening here next week.

A project of the Kerala State Science and Technology Museum and Priyadarshini Planetarium, the C.V.Raman Centre for Basic Astronomy will offer courses on astronomy fundamentals with a view to acquainting laymen with the secrets of the Universe.

Education and Culture Minister M.A.Baby will inaugurate the centre on Monday, Museum director Gerald Arul Prakash said.

"Classes will be held over three weekends with three hours a day for each batch.

They will include sessions on basic astronomy - how to identify stars, how to identify star clusters, sky observation and the like - and on other celestial objects like meteors," he said.

Students will be taught to make small telescopes and also the basics of using one for star-gazing.

"We also plan to include the fundamentals of the evolution of the Universe," he said.

A big attraction is that students will get to gaze through the new 11-inch, GPS-facilitated Celestron telescope acquired by the museum.

With 40,000 celestial objects fed into its computerised system, the telescope is a one of a kind in this part of the country.

Another USP is that experts from the Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) will be leading sessions on the basics of space science, Arul Prakash said.

"C.V.Raman - an eminent astronomer, physicist and mathematician combined - laid the foundations for basic astronomy in modern India.

So we decided to give his name for the centre," Arul Prakash said.

The course fee is Rs 600, but poor students will get a concession. Anyone who has passed Class X can attend the sessions.

The museum is also opening a Rs 45-lakh space gallery in association with the ISRO in four months. The ISRO is chipping in with Rs 30 lakh for the interactive gallery, he said.

On Monday, the Education Minister will also launch a HAM Radio Station at the Museum which will allow HAM operators to use the facilities and also train aspiring operators.

www
vinodtnt no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2008, 01:05 PM   #13
jaleelmalik
Trivandrum Tiger
 
jaleelmalik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Trivandrum (Cantonment) / Dubai / Jeddah
Posts: 1,553
Likes (Received): 51

Not only Astronomy,

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinodtnt View Post
THIRUVANANTHAPURAM: Emin entphysicist C.V.Raman, one of the big names in modern astronomy, will be remembered through a centre for basic astronomy opening here next week.

A project of the Kerala State Science and Technology Museum and Priyadarshini Planetarium, the C.V.Raman Centre for Basic Astronomy will offer courses on astronomy fundamentals with a view to acquainting laymen with the secrets of the Universe.

Education and Culture Minister M.A.Baby will inaugurate the centre on Monday, Museum director Gerald Arul Prakash said.

"Classes will be held over three weekends with three hours a day for each batch.

They will include sessions on basic astronomy - how to identify stars, how to identify star clusters, sky observation and the like - and on other celestial objects like meteors," he said.

Students will be taught to make small telescopes and also the basics of using one for star-gazing.

"We also plan to include the fundamentals of the evolution of the Universe," he said.

A big attraction is that students will get to gaze through the new 11-inch, GPS-facilitated Celestron telescope acquired by the museum.

With 40,000 celestial objects fed into its computerised system, the telescope is a one of a kind in this part of the country.

Another USP is that experts from the Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) will be leading sessions on the basics of space science, Arul Prakash said.

"C.V.Raman - an eminent astronomer, physicist and mathematician combined - laid the foundations for basic astronomy in modern India.

So we decided to give his name for the centre," Arul Prakash said.

The course fee is Rs 600, but poor students will get a concession. Anyone who has passed Class X can attend the sessions.

The museum is also opening a Rs 45-lakh space gallery in association with the ISRO in four months. The ISRO is chipping in with Rs 30 lakh for the interactive gallery, he said.

On Monday, the Education Minister will also launch a HAM Radio Station at the Museum which will allow HAM operators to use the facilities and also train aspiring operators.

www
Trivandrum is also a hub of astrology.
Very senior Astrologers are based here.
People are coming from different parts of the state to learn this ancient science.

I do also make this opportunity to serve my condolense message on the sudden demise of Mr. SLP Mahmoud, former Director of the Science & Technology Museum, Trivandrum, who was killed yesterday in Saudi Arabia in a road accident. Though he hailed from Kannur, he had made tremendous contributions for the development of the Science & Technology Museum & the Priyadarshini Planetorium.
__________________
Trivandrum - India's Evergreen City
jaleelmalik no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2008, 04:13 PM   #14
BabuCS
C. S. Babu
 
BabuCS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Trivandrum
Posts: 1,046
Likes (Received): 65

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaleelmalik View Post
Trivandrum is also a hub of astrology.
Very senior Astrologers are based here.
People are coming from different parts of the state to learn this ancient science.

I do also make this opportunity to serve my condolense message on the sudden demise of Mr. SLP Mahmoud, former Director of the Science & Technology Museum, Trivandrum, who was killed yesterday in Saudi Arabia in a road accident. Though he hailed from Kannur, he had made tremendous contributions for the development of the Science & Technology Museum & the Priyadarshini Planetorium.
That is a sad news for us ...
BabuCS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2008, 03:16 PM   #15
vinodtnt
Trivandrum Lobby
 
vinodtnt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Trivandrum™
Posts: 2,098
Likes (Received): 410

India’s space odessy - church to Chandrayaan

Thiruvananthapuram, Oct 20 (IANS) A church as control room, the bishop’s house as office, a humble bicycle as ferry and eyes to track the smoke trail of a rocket - these were the humble beginnings when India launched a US-made rocket from Thumba, near here, in 1963. Nearly 45 years later, the country is set to launch its first lunar probe Oct 22.

The launch of a US-made Nike-Apache Sounding Rocket from Thumba, near Thiruvananthapuram, on Nov 21, 1963, marked the beginning of India’s space odyssey that has now reached a stage when the country launches the satellites of other countries as a commercial proposition.

www
vinodtnt no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2008, 05:29 AM   #16
BabuCS
C. S. Babu
 
BabuCS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Trivandrum
Posts: 1,046
Likes (Received): 65

Our IISER-TVM is indeed picking up momentum.
They already advertised for the recruitment of first batch of world class faculty.
see the link below for details
http://www.iisertvm.ac.in/faculty-openings.shtml
BabuCS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2008, 06:51 AM   #17
vinodtnt
Trivandrum Lobby
 
vinodtnt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Trivandrum™
Posts: 2,098
Likes (Received): 410

Chandrayaan-1:A landmark event for Indian space research

THE MISSION

The launch of Chandrayaan-1 will be a landmark event for the Indian Space research Organization. This will be the first time that an Indian spacecraft will go beyond the geostationary orbit to explore our nearest neighbor in the solar system, the Moon. Final preparation for launch is going on in full swing at the Satish Dhawan Space Center, Sriharikota. It will be a remote sensing mission with the spacecraft placed in a lunar polar orbit at 100 km with an expected life of two years.

Chandrayaan-1 is a scientific mission aimed at advancing our present understanding of the origin and evolution of the Moon. To achieve this objective a suite of instruments that can provide data on moon at higher resolution than obtained by previous lunar missions have been selected for this mission.

THE PAYLOADS

The Moon Impact Probe (MIP)

Apart from the experiments housed in the main Spacecraft, the Moon Impact Probe (MIP), designed and developed at the Vikram Sarabhai Space Center (VSSC), Trivandrum, sitting in the top deck of the spacecraft, will be released at the very beginning of the mission and will land in an targeted area (near the lunar south pole). It has a camera for taking images during its descent, measure distances from lunar surface using a radar altimeter and will also look for trace amount of gases, that may be present in the lunar atmosphere, using a highly sensitive mass-spectrometer. MIP will communicate all the data to the main spacecraft during its descent to lunar surface that will be complete in less than twenty minutes.

.......

Sub-keV Atom Reflecting Analyzer (SARA)

Moon does not have a global magnetic field. However, presence of local surface magnetic anomalies has been detected from studies conducted in earlier missions. The strength of such anomalies is extremely small. A unique experiment, Sub-keV Atom Reflecting Analyzer (SARA) proposed by a Swedish Group with Indian Collaboration from Space Physics Laboratory, Vikram Sarabhai Space Center, Trivundrum, will try to detect presence of mini-magnetosphere around areas having local magnetic field. The same experiment will also provide low resolution data on chemical composition of the moon.

www
vinodtnt no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2008, 07:33 AM   #18
Tri Man
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Home of Indian Rocket Science
Posts: 1,275
Likes (Received): 184

.....

Last edited by Tri Man; October 21st, 2008 at 12:35 PM.
Tri Man no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2008, 08:50 AM   #19
jaleelmalik
Trivandrum Tiger
 
jaleelmalik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Trivandrum (Cantonment) / Dubai / Jeddah
Posts: 1,553
Likes (Received): 51

Triman, the man of ideas!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tri Man View Post
The Space Museum and part of TERLS should be promoted as a Tourist Spot.
Many of the people in India doesn't know the significance of Thumba when they speak about Sriharikota.
The magnetic equator of earth passes sligtly northward of Veli.
If the equator is marked with yellow line acoss NH ByPass it will itself become another place of tourist attraction.Similar line is consrtucted across Madhapradesh Highway to signify Tropic of Capricon and is one of the tourist spot in MP.


Hi Triman,

Good Idea.
But I bet, if this message is conveyed to our politicians, sure they would do that. "Vere kaashu chelavulla pani allallo". Also good publicity too.

BTW are you sure that it is the Tropic of Capricon that passes through MP, WB etc ? If I am correct, it is Tropic of Cancer (Tropic of Capricon in the Southern Hemisphere). Trivandrum lies approximately 6 degree North of the actual geographical equator. So we need to project this fact too. I just quoted from my good old school geographical memories. Please correct me, if I'm wrong.

Cheers
__________________
Trivandrum - India's Evergreen City

Last edited by jaleelmalik; October 21st, 2008 at 08:57 AM.
jaleelmalik no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2008, 09:15 AM   #20
Tri Man
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Home of Indian Rocket Science
Posts: 1,275
Likes (Received): 184

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaleelmalik View Post
Hi Triman,

Good Idea.
But I bet, if this message is conveyed to our politicians, sure they would do that. "Vere kaashu chelavulla pani allallo". Also good publicity too.

BTW are you sure that it is the Tropic of Capricon that passes through MP, WB etc ? If I am correct, it is Tropic of Cancer (Tropic of Capricon in the Southern Hemisphere). Trivandrum lies approximately 6 degree North of the actual geographical equator. So we need to project this fact too. I just quoted from my good old school geographical memories. Please correct me, if I'm wrong.

Cheers
Sorry,I meant Tropic of Cancer and not Topic of Capricon.Thanks for comments.
The "Magnetic Equator of Earth"(Not the "Geographic") that is why the Rocket Launching Station in Thumba is called Thumba Equatorial Rocket Launching Station (TERLS).

Last edited by Tri Man; October 21st, 2008 at 12:38 PM.
Tri Man no está en línea   Reply With Quote


Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT +2. The time now is 06:32 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like v3.2.5 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

Hosted by Blacksun, dedicated to this site too!
Forum server management by DaiTengu