daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > London Metro Area > Completed projects

View Poll Results: Would you support the demolition of Guys Hospital?
Yes! – demolish it completely, it’s a hideous and oppressive building. 309 42.33%
No – but I’d support a renovation, or some kind of reclad/reworking of the structure. 336 46.03%
No – it’s an important and historic piece of architecture and should be left alone. 65 8.90%
Not sure. 20 2.74%
Voters: 730. You may not vote on this poll

Old August 20th, 2007, 10:16 AM   #1
Luke
Blackboard Monitor

Likes (Received): 1

Guy's Hospital £25M Exterior Refurbishment | Complete

Estates Gazette -

Guys and St Thomas NHS Foundation Trust are examining ways of raising funds to pay for future new facilities for the hospital.

Options being considered include transforming the landmark eyesore tower in luxury flats.

A more likely scenario would see the hospital quit the site entirely for a new hospital campus in a cheaper location allowing for a full redevelopment of the the London Bridge site.

Sponsored Links

Old August 20th, 2007, 11:43 AM   #2
london lad

Likes (Received): 450

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke View Post
Estates Gazette -

Guys and St Thomas NHS Foundation Trust are examining ways of raising funds to pay for future new facilities for the hospital.

Options being considered include transforming the landmark eyesore tower in luxury flats.

A more likely scenario would see the hospital quit the site entirely for a new hospital campus in a cheaper location allowing for a full redevelopment of the the London Bridge site.
Hmm interesting. Its a massive site built up over one hundred years. If you take out the tower the rest of the campus is in a pretty good state with a good mix of old & new buildings so I would think it doubtful they would abandon the site lock stock. Besides where are they going to find a cheap site in central London big enough for a new hospital.

Still it will interesting to see what happens with this.
london lad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2007, 02:04 PM   #3
mulattokid
BLAND

Likes (Received): 238

^ Seeing as its a large site already surrounded by towers and tower proposals, they could sell off much of the site and consolidate those services in a new hospital tower

Is it pure coincidence that a mans Scrotum resembles a brain - requisite with both hemispheres, and its truncated spinal cord - always in search of sensation?
(Mark Joseph 2008)
mulattokid no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2007, 07:55 PM   #4
wjfox
Save the bees!

Likes (Received): 5508

This sounds too good to be true.
wjfox no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2007, 07:59 PM   #5
El_Greco
Flâneur Extraordinaire

Likes (Received): 1770

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke View Post
Sounds good.Clean the tower sort the street level out build some cafes and squares.
Old August 20th, 2007, 08:14 PM   #6
ill tonkso
Portsmouths Finest, Maybe

Likes (Received): 832

Clad it too! No one likes bare concrete lol.
ill tonkso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2007, 08:16 PM   #7
CaptainJason

Likes (Received): 0

i hope they dont demolish it, could do what they did with cis in manchester and give it solar panels!

http://smithdown.myminicity.com/
CaptainJason no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2007, 08:42 PM   #8
DarJoLe

Likes (Received): 1580

To be honest if they reclad it would only end up in the style of the Z-Tower in Deptford.

Which isn't particularly great either.

I still maintain that giving it a good wash and letting it stand next to The Shard will give it a new lease of life, and be a better contrast of architecture than cladding it in cheapo plastic panels.
DarJoLe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2007, 09:25 PM   #9
Lord Nelson

Likes (Received): 14

KILL IT! TEAR THE HOSPITAL DOWN!
Old August 20th, 2007, 09:29 PM   #10
Newcastle Guy

Likes (Received): 147

I REALLY hope they rip this down. It is the ugliest and most brutal of the cluster of three 100m-ish buildings in the area, yet it is the only one that hasn't got redevelopment plans. Well, yet.

This sounds far too good to be true...
Newcastle Guy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2007, 09:56 PM   #11
El_Greco
Flâneur Extraordinaire

Likes (Received): 1770

Im with DarJole.
Old August 20th, 2007, 10:07 PM   #12
jimbo

Likes (Received): 5

a new hospital. That sounds like one whopper of a potential PFI contract to go out for bidding and end up costing the tax payer a plentiful sum of beans.

It's an interesting story though - there's plenty of land for residential development, having a hospital in such a central location is surely good for London. Not sure what they could do with the tower, would be good to see what a good clean would do.
jimbo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2007, 10:14 PM   #13
Medo

Likes (Received): 349

If they demolish it then London will lose it's title of having the tallest hospital in the world. Maybe they can build a 200m hospital close by and build a couple of slim resi towers in Guy's place.
Medo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2007, 10:26 PM   #14
Sitback
NW London baby!

Likes (Received): 37

I'd rather it stay because it's the world's tallest hospital but a reclad would be most welcome.
Old August 20th, 2007, 10:45 PM   #15
Lord Nelson

Likes (Received): 14

Yes Medo, If they demolish it then London will lose it's title of having the ugliest hospital in the world.
Old August 20th, 2007, 11:14 PM   #16
GazKinz

Likes (Received): 24

Guys tower is great I'm sorry but I love it, it's SO brutal, like the old stock exchange tower squared, I agree it should be given a clean though, a reclad would be worse the demolition.
GazKinz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2007, 11:52 PM   #17
nukey
Somnium Quinti

Likes (Received): 3

Guy's is one of my favourite buildings in london. It has that modern-medieval character that I love so much in our brutalist buildings. We have already lost the great barbican of the stock-exchange tower, next we are probably going to lose Milton Court, and potentialy now this too?? Just because at the moment the 'aesthetic' is not appreciated??? typical london short-sightedness; as bad as when we knocked down the masterpiece that was Soane's Bank of England, Nash's Regent Street, and endless swathes of irreplaceable Victoriana. Pisses me off no end. See beyond what is now 'accepted' and 'fashionable', please!!!!
Old August 20th, 2007, 11:54 PM   #18
london lad

Likes (Received): 450

Not sure why this has its own thread now- the article said possible blue sky thinking could potentially see the tower redevelopment amongst a number of options including moving to a new site.

I don't think many people realise how big the Guys campus is & includes older grand Victorian buildings & modern contemporary architecture as well as the usual assortment of 80's add ons & the actual tower. To find a site in central London to accommodate everything , not to mention the amount of money spend on various buildings on the site in the last ten years would run into the hundreds of millions. The cost of selling on the site or selling the tower as fancy flats wouldn't be anywhere near enough to justify the cost.
london lad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2007, 12:01 AM   #19
hellolazyness

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by nukey View Post
Guy's is one of my favourite buildings in london. It has that modern-medieval character that I love so much in our brutalist buildings. We have already lost the great barbican of the stock-exchange tower, next we are probably going to lose Milton Court, and potentialy now this too?? Just because at the moment the 'aesthetic' is not appreciated??? typical london short-sightedness; as bad as when we knocked down the masterpiece that was Soane's Bank of England, Nash's Regent Street, and endless swathes of irreplaceable Victoriana. Pisses me off no end. See beyond what is now 'accepted' and 'fashionable', please!!!!
I totally disagree that the hatred of brutalism extends only to the present. They were hated when they were built and they are hated now, by both professional and casual observers. I think what is particularly unflattering for these concrete monoliths is the overcast skys. They were never seen as part of an environment, they simply wished to create one. Personally I think it's a monumental failure.
hellolazyness no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2007, 12:11 AM   #20
nukey
Somnium Quinti

Likes (Received): 3

i didnt say that they are only hated in the present, and not when they were built. I mean that we are getting rid of them before time lends them the aura of history which leads people to appreciate buildings that survive their times.
The 'endless walls' of Georgian terraces were hated in their times as symbols of the empty, tasteless capitalist rise of the merchant classes; and victorian terraces the same in their period. Now we love them. I just think that the best buildings from every period should be given a chance to survive to be judged once people have moved beyond judging them simply on temporal biases and aesthetic prejudices...

Tags
hospital, london