daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas > Completed

Old June 13th, 2008, 03:39 PM   #1
www.sercan.de
Galatasaray SK

Likes (Received): 1891

TEMPE - Sun Devil Stadium (73,379)

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

FIBA EuroLeague Women (1): 2014
FIBA EuroCup Women (1): 2009

IWBF Champions Cup (5): 2008, 2009, 2011, 2013, 2014
IWBF Intercontinental Cup (4): 2008, 2009, 2011, 2012

geometarkv liked this post
www.sercan.de no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old June 21st, 2008, 04:51 AM   #2
swerve3030

Likes (Received): 7

I remember reading somewhere that this stadium was having problems with rust due to no rust protection added when it was built. Has this problem been solved?
swerve3030 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2008, 04:55 AM   #3
Bigmac1212
Always looking up!

Likes (Received): 1

Probably not.

It needs a lot of work. The only problem is that the location between the two "mountains" make renovations troublesome.
Bigmac1212 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2008, 01:05 PM   #4
CainanUK

Likes (Received): 1

That is a bit of a double edged sword though as the location between two "mountains" is just what gives this place its unique charm!
CainanUK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2009, 08:30 AM   #5
Jim856796
The Q&A Guy

Likes (Received): 161

Sun Devil Stadium does need renovations. Among the renovations I am considering are adding rust protection, life-cycle extension, replacing the existing electrical and plumbing systems, building better restrooms, better and more fan-friendly concession stands, widening seats, enclosing and air-conditioning luxury boxes, and replacing that temporary-looking stand with an extension of the lower tier over its current space.

Work also is needed on Wells Fargo Arena, Packard Stadium and Sun Angel Stadium, and there also are plans for a new aquatics center, a men's and women's basketball practice facility, and a field house which could also serve as an indoor practice facility for the football team.

And a little bit of trivia: Sun Devil Stadium also hosted Super Bowl XXX hosted Super Bowl XXX in 1996.

You support the good projects... and oppose the bad.
Jim856796 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2011, 06:56 PM   #6
dfwabel

Likes (Received): 0

There's a press conference set for Saturday in which plans for a stadium project and capital fundraising campaign are rumored to be announced along with a new football uniform and updates "Sparky" mascot.
dfwabel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2011, 10:30 PM   #7
Dondellinger

Likes (Received): 0

Hopefully any news regarding the stadium will be along the lines of what Jim said. As a Pac10 fan (or Pac12 now I guess) I can only hope they don't do something drastic like blow out the north endzone upper deck for a view of the river. I read some fan posts hoping for that. ASU has a lot going for them, which makes it hard to understand why the Sun Devils rarely compete for conference titles. When you consider the college life in Tempe, the climate, proximity to California recruits, and the fact that SDS is a pretty rockin venue when it's packed, it's on Sun Devil fans if they want top notch recruits. They need to get 70,000 in there on a regular basis, which should be easy at a school with 60,000 in a city of how many million now?

My guess is that Saturday they will flatter my alma matter, which used to be considered weird, by coming out with some weird uniforms of their own!
Dondellinger no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2011, 01:49 AM   #8
will101

Likes (Received): 355

I don't think that knocking out part of the north stands would be a bad idea. I was there in 99 to see the Niners play the Cardinals on MNF. Steve Young's final game. Temperature was 98 at kickoff, and dropped to about 95 by the end of the game. There was a breeze outside, but the design prevented it from reaching into the stadium. With all of the aluminum seats it was like being in a huge frying pan.
will101 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2011, 07:29 PM   #9
en1044
Unregistered User

Likes (Received): 21

Of all the times I've watched football with an overhead camera, I've never seen this happen.

Old December 19th, 2012, 10:37 PM   #10
RMB2007

Likes (Received): 2982

Quote:
The renovation of Sun Devil Stadium will give the aging football facility a long-overdue face-lift but could displace the Arizona State University football team and reroute fans to as far as downtown Phoenix or Glendale for at least a year.

In a best-case scenario, an overhaul of the massive stadium, known for its picturesque setting nestled between two desert buttes in Tempe, would start after the Sun Devils’ 2013 football season ends, said Arizona State University Athletics director Steve Patterson last week at a Tempe Chamber of Commerce luncheon.

The demolition and initial renovation could be limited to areas that would allow the team to keep playing in the stadium during the 2014 season, but there would be fewer seats due to construction, he said.

But after that, fans can expect Sun Devil football to leave Tempe for at least the 2015 season, Patterson said.

“You should only miss one season,” Patterson said.

Patterson suggested the Sun Devils could play in Phoenix’s Chase Field, home to the Diamondbacks, or head to the Cardinals’ University of Phoenix Stadium in Glendale. He said no deal has been finalized for either site.
http://www.azcentral.com/community/t...last-year.html
RMB2007 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2013, 12:22 AM   #11
ielag

Likes (Received): 21

Quote:
Arizona State’s reconstruction of 55-year-old Sun Devil Stadium will begin in January with demolition of upper-deck seating in the north end zone.

Approximately 5,700 seats will be removed, lowering the stadium capacity to 66,000 for the 2014 season, which includes a home game against Notre Dame.

The project is not directly tied to further stadium renovations but, according to Vice President for Athletics Steve Patterson it “gives us additional flexibility for future planning. This will right size the building and open the upper bowl as it once was.”

The stadium has been expanded three times since 1958, most recently in 1992, and currently has a capacity of 71,706.

ASU averaged 54,827 in home attendance the past three seasons and is averaging 62,295 in the first three of seven home games this season.

Construction will begin after the Buffalo Wild Wings Bowl on Dec. 28.

Auxiliary money will fund the initial cost of the north end zone project, with repayment over time from ASU athletic revenue streams, Senior Associate Athletic Director Rocky Harris said.

There is no firm timetable for the stadium’s major reconstruction, which could cost up to $300 million if it includes a shade canopy. The Arizona Board of Regents must approve that project, which would be paid for through revenue generated by an athletic-facilities district. A master developer for the 330-acre district has yet to be selected.

ASU is in talks with Phoenix officials and the Diamondbacks about playing its 2015 home games at Chase Field. Under that soonest-possible timetable, the second construction project would begin after the 2014 season, with ASU returning to a refurbished home with a capacity between 55,000 and 65,000 in 2016.
http://www.azcentral.com/sports/asu/...nclick_check=1
ielag no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2013, 10:16 PM   #12
xanterra

Likes (Received): 886

Been there a lot of Times...Great setting and atmosphere and close to the Univ., but its just tooooo hot in Phx for this Stadium No shadow!
xanterra no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2014, 04:15 AM   #13
RMB2007

Quote:
What additions or changes will be made to Sun Devil Stadium?

• Replace lower bowl tread on east and west sides, which would allow for more legroom, and seats and benches with seatbacks.

• All public areas (concourse, restrooms, concessions, ramps, etc.) will be raised and rebuilt with substantially more fixtures and services provided to be consistent with modern football venues across the country.

• Escalators will connect various concourse levels.

• Addition of a new state-of-the-art video board to be installed on the north plaza, as well as a new sound system.

• A unique terrace will be built on the north plaza where concerts and community events can be hosted.

• Current press box will be enhanced and new kitchen installed.

• Upper deck will be reconfigured to increase height between concourses, allowing the development of a new premium seating level for new suites and club space.

• Club area will be air-conditioned and the club seating will be open-air.

• A new student section will be built and plans include a student club area.

• Most unique element of the renovation will be the addition of a “scrim” or video ribbon on the outside of the stadium. Videos and images can be projected off the stadium throughout the year to passers by on either side of the venue.

• SDA is evaluating adding the following to the scope of the stadium project: renovating the football facilities (locker room, sports medicine/training, weight room, equipment room, recruiting center, and office space) and completely revamping the Sun Devil Athletics Academic Center
http://www.thesundevils.com/ViewArti...B_OEM_ID=30300

Sun Devil Stadium Fly-Through:

http://www.thesundevils.com/mediaPor...b_oem_id=30300

will101 liked this post

Last edited by RMB2007; January 15th, 2014 at 04:24 AM.
Old January 15th, 2014, 03:43 PM   #14
GunnerJacket
Oh look - a doughnut!

Likes (Received): 481

When it comes to "right sizing" facilities I'm surprised more of them don't simply renumber the bleachers so as to lose one seat per row. Most of these venues feature some modestly cramped conditions, anyway, so dropping a seat would likely add an inch to each remaining seat. (You know, to better accommodate our fat butts!)

Seems a much lower cost alternative that would also make the seating more comfy and relieve congestion within concession and amenity areas.

On the whole this isn't a bad scheme for ASU, though. Not a big fan of the scrims but I see where they're going with it, and I'm sure the shade that provides in the concession areas will be most appreciated. I would also like to see them find some way to fill in the voids of the lower bowl next to the new student section, even if via decorative coverings/tarps.
Old January 15th, 2014, 04:43 PM   #15
ryanjmcconnell

Likes (Received): 12

pretty sick
ryanjmcconnell no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2014, 05:26 PM   #16
goldy21

Likes (Received): 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnerJacket View Post
When it comes to "right sizing" facilities I'm surprised more of them don't simply renumber the bleachers so as to lose one seat per row. Most of these venues feature some modestly cramped conditions, anyway, so dropping a seat would likely add an inch to each remaining seat. (You know, to better accommodate our fat butts!)
How would that eliminate the appearance of 10,000 empty seats?
goldy21 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2014, 05:51 PM   #17
GunnerJacket
Oh look - a doughnut!

Likes (Received): 481

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldy21 View Post
How would that eliminate the appearance of 10,000 empty seats?
I have seen a couple parking lots decrease their capacity by simply restriping lots to increase the width of each space. The intention was to provide more room for larger vehicles, so each parking aisle dropped by 1-2 spaces total but the whole of the parking lot was unchanged.

Seems a similar idea could work in stadiums with bleachers. For instance, instead of having 21 seats at 20" each you just reset the numbers to yield 20 seats at about 21" each. Voila! Low-cost reduction in capacity. It won't reduce capacity by 10k or so but you could essentially lose between 1-2k seats by simply reapportioning each row in the stadium and save possible remodeling cost.

Just an idea.
Old April 29th, 2014, 01:26 AM   #18
RMB2007

@SunDevilRocky:

Quote:
Sun Devil Stadium is being deconstructed ridiculously fast
http://t.co/1nZ9wajLcC

will101 liked this post
Old May 1st, 2014, 02:52 AM   #19
will101

Likes (Received): 355

I assume they want to get as much work completed as possible before the extreme heat sets in.
will101 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2014, 06:17 AM   #20
Jim856796
The Q&A Guy

Likes (Received): 161

Contractor Selected for Renovation of Sun Devil Stadium

HNTB is being asked to redesign the ageing Sun Devil Stadium, while the construction works will be carried out by joint forced of Hunt Construction and Sundt Construction.

Source: StadiumDB.com.

You support the good projects... and oppose the bad.
Jim856796 no está en línea   Reply With Quote