daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Liverpool Metro Area

Liverpool Metro Area 'Scouse Scrapers for both sides of the Mersey

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 15th, 2017, 09:50 AM   #1041
openlyJane
Human Being

Likes (Received): 42529

I’m not sure I even liked the proposals in the first place - a bit too random, and not very attractive, Could do with a re- think before proceeding, I think.
openlyJane no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 15th, 2017, 10:49 AM   #1042
buggedboy

Likes (Received): 3036

Pall Mall and New Chinatown were the only truly modern looking large scale projects we were getting for a while, so I was gutted when both died. The cheapo planned replacement for Pall Mall was awful in comparison.

Others like Infinity have thankfully stepped up but things like Lexington cowered to heritage considerations in terms of looking conservative for me.

I think its certain that, whoever takes either NPG scheme, they'll probably downgrade it somehow to build out at lower cost. We'll probably lose any Chinese commercial elements in NC, with retail sacrificed for more residential. I also think Jane might be in for good news in terms of a more conservative design. We've seen it before. We could be in for another Cargo building situation.
Old November 15th, 2017, 11:04 AM   #1043
openlyJane
Human Being

Not once did I say I wanted anything more conservative. I just wasn’t taken with what was offered. This is your issue, not mine. I liked the Pall Mall scheme- but have no faith in cow-boys, and never have.

But I think you’re right about more residential. The existing China Town could do with some re-invigoration before we start with more shops that would likely sit empty.
Old November 15th, 2017, 11:38 AM   #1044
buggedboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by openlyJane View Post
Not once did I say I wanted anything more conservative. I just wasn’t taken with what was offered. This is your issue, not mine. I liked the Pall Mall scheme- but have no faith in cow-boys, and never have.

But I think you’re right about more residential. The existing China Town could do with some re-invigoration before we start with more shops that would likely sit empty.
I wish they'd keep some retail though, to extend the feeling of town outwards and support the expansion of the Baltic. I like the idea of a continual "high-street" all the way to Cains brewery.

eloquent liked this post
buggedboy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2017, 11:46 AM   #1045
Toadboy

Likes (Received): 5167

Shops need people. Yes, I agree. High Street along to Upper Parly, create ribbon developments where people and services are closely linked and districts blend in to each other eventually.

Manchesters been very good at this, understanding the city and rebuilding it.

eloquent liked this post
Toadboy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2017, 11:47 AM   #1046
scouse1980

Likes (Received): 319

New Chinatown | Great George Street | Mixed Use | 6-20 Storeys | Stalled

The old China town scheme was wanting in so much as there was too wide of a gap in between the taller building and the wedding house. Buildings should join up to a corner for a more sophisticated streetscape but there were too many gaps and weird looking angles in this scheme. Architects in this city desperately need lessons on the urban form. Another irritating trend in this city is for the gable end of buildings to face out into the road, it just doesn’t look right. Examples would be Falkland House on Islington, the Neptune development on Lime Street at the Skelhorne Street/station corner adjacent to the Crown Pub and unfortunately the Metalworks development facing Leeds Street.

I’m all for tall and bold in New Chinatown and hope this is the opportunity for a much improved design.

Last edited by scouse1980; November 15th, 2017 at 12:22 PM.
scouse1980 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2017, 12:48 PM   #1047
openlyJane
Human Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggedboy View Post
I wish they'd keep some retail though, to extend the feeling of town outwards and support the expansion of the Baltic. I like the idea of a continual "high-street" all the way to Cains brewery.
More residential will lead to more demand for shops. The old Chinese supermarket/warehouse has now gone on Upper Duke Street, I wonder what will become of that site.

As for Nelson street - What can you can say? The Bagelry is doing well down there - relying on people passing to and from the Baltic, in the main, but so much more can and should be happening down there. ‘Old' families just sitting on their properties and doing nothing with them. Bad Feng Shui.
Old November 15th, 2017, 01:20 PM   #1048
openlyJane
Human Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by scouse1980 View Post
The old China town scheme was wanting in so much as there was too wide of a gap in between the taller building and the wedding house. Buildings should join up to a corner for a more sophisticated streetscape but there were too many gaps and weird looking angles in this scheme. Architects in this city desperately need lessons on the urban form. Another irritating trend in this city is for the gable end of buildings to face out into the road, it just doesn’t look right. Examples would be Falkland House on Islington, the Neptune development on Lime Street at the Skelhorne Street/station corner adjacent to the Crown Pub and unfortunately the Metalworks development facing Leeds Street.

I’m all for tall and bold in New Chinatown and hope this is the opportunity for a much improved design.
Yes, far too many jagged edges and inharmonious angles - just trying too hard to be whatever.....And especially given that they’d supposedly had an expert in Feng Shui involved - in which such jarring angles would be seen as creating discordant energy.It would be great if whatever does come to pass could be designed with actual references to Chinese architecture and design.
Old November 15th, 2017, 09:07 PM   #1049
Invictious

Likes (Received): 287

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggedboy View Post
The new scheme being talked about does have a mix of residential and commercial apparently, how much of each I don't know but I'd guess the commercial/ retail may be reduced slightly.
Invictious no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2017, 11:03 PM   #1050
baias

Location: live in a beautiful over 1800 ft high valley in the woodlands some 30 miles from bilbao
Likes (Received): 1042

the proposed development was welcomed as a huge springboard for the whole area but aesthetically it was messy, uniconic and lacked character in fact it was worse than the previous one by urban splash from my point of view, looking forward to this third project now
baias no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2017, 10:35 AM   #1051
buggedboy

I cannot disagree more. The building would have been hugely impressive, particularly photogenic and attract visitors in its own right. It very much-loved had character, even down to the fact the whole design was built like a dragon.

Dingle All The Way liked this post
buggedboy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2017, 11:12 AM   #1052
B&I

Likes (Received): 1098

It was hopeless, and the only reason people qere prepared to put up with it is that we are desperate to see something, anything built in this city of stagnation.
B&I no está en línea   Reply With Quote