daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Liverpool Metro Area > Liverpool Construction Projects

Liverpool Construction Projects Developments being built on Merseyside

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 22 votes, 5.00 average.
Old November 20th, 2017, 09:30 PM   #601
Tommo85

Likes (Received): 19

Everton Park Sports Centre is rumoured to be closing. Wouldn’t surprise me.
Tommo85 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 21st, 2017, 04:58 PM   #602
Liverpool1207

Likes (Received): 4575

http://www.liverpoolexpress.co.uk/ev...erator-sought/

Everton Park Lifestyles operator sought

November 20, 2017

A search is set to get underway for an operator to run Lifestyles Everton Park Sports Centre, with the aim of securing a sustainable future for the site.

A report to Liverpool City Council’s Cabinet meeting on Friday 24 November recommends an eight week consultation with users, staff, residents and businesses to gauge views on a third party taking over the day to day management of the swimming pool, gym and sports facilities.

It follows positive, informal approaches from several external organisations interested in operating the site – which was built in 1979, with the swimming pool added in 1984.

One of the city council’s key aims is to ensure that there will be continued community access to facilities, including by schools such as Notre Dame Catholic College, which use the sports centre on a weekly basis for core and additional curricular activity.

The site – which costs £540k a year to run – is one of ten indoor sport and leisure facilities operated by Liverpool City Council under the Lifestyles brand.

Consultation will start on Monday 4 December 2017 and last for 8 weeks. It will include:
•An online questionnaire will be available from Monday 4 December at www.liverpool.gov.uk/lifestyles (hard copies will be available)
•A dedicated email box for comments; [email protected]
•Meetings with stakeholders e.g. schools, clubs etc.
•A public meeting (date and location to be confirmed in the near future)

Mayor of Liverpool, Joe Anderson, said: “We need to find £90 million of savings over the next three years, and this means having a long, hard look at every building we operate.

“There is interest from other established organisations in regards to running Everton Park, and at a time when we have to make significant savings, it is prudent to look at what third parties think could be achieved to improve the facilities for local people.

“We have a good track record of transferring other council buildings over to partner organisations who in turn have the ability to be able to attract investment and improve facilities.

“As part of providing a sustainable, efficient and cost effective service, we have committed to investing into leisure over the next two years, but this investment cannot sustain all of the Lifestyles facilities in the long-term. By looking at different way of working with the Everton Park facility, we see this as the start of a long-term vision for the service.

“I would like to reassure people who use Everton Park that this is just the start of the process and we will be keeping them in touch with developments over the next few months.”

The city council has committed to supporting its leisure facilities until 2019 at the least, and is looking at each site to make sure the Lifestyles service is cost-effective and sustainable in the long term.

It is hoped that interviews with a shortlist of potential third parties will take place at the end of February 2018 and a final decision made at a Cabinet meeting in the March.
Liverpool1207 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2017, 05:04 PM   #603
Liverpool1207

Things moving along, Domino's open, Greggs and Home Bargain almost there...
DSC_2848 by R S, on Flickr
DSC_2849 by R S, on Flickr
DSC_2850 by R S, on Flickr
Old November 21st, 2017, 05:17 PM   #604
buggedboy

Likes (Received): 3038

A shame that a Greggs and McDonalds can open so readily in an area of multiple deprivation, poor health and obesity, whilst the leisure centre has to be sold off to stay open. Sign of the times.

That said, fair play to LCC for going to market to see what can be done. All too often decisions to close are taken without exploring alternatives. The success of Allerton Golf course is a good example of what can be done. That said, that place does well in part due to an expensive restaurant being there. That won't succeed around here.

Be interesting to see if the proposers offer an alternative pricing structure, but offering Lifestyles members some kind of discount. Or entering into some kind of deal with Sainsburys where Lifestyles punters can use their car park, display a Lifestyles sticker to not get busted, allowing the new operators to redevelop a good chunk of the Sports Centre parking into residential (PRS) with ground floor retail. A small number of on-site parking spaces are then reserved for the disabled.

baias liked this post
buggedboy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2017, 05:32 PM   #605
shamus

Likes (Received): 861

Why build on the leisure centre car park...there are acres and acres of wasteland , grass verges, cleared sites all over the area ...unfortunately there is no overall vision or I suspect developer interest to try and do something about it and start getting people back into the area ...that's the key to community facilities as well as the shops and pubs etc ....people and lots of them.
shamus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2017, 05:39 PM   #606
Liverpool1207

Someone has set up a petition to keep Everton Park Sports Centre open, but may have been premature

https://www.change.org/p/liverpool-c...deadline111417
Old November 21st, 2017, 05:56 PM   #607
buggedboy

No harm in the petition really. In fact, it's a good piece of market research for any interested developers. As long as the petition isn't saying everything should be kept the same, for the same price, so long as someone else pays for it.

As to why build on the car park site. Well, LCC are presumably only offering management of the sports centre site itself, so there's got to be a boundary somewhere. By all means, a developer could ask for a sliver of local land to be offered out as alternative parking, but then LCC may have other plans for that land already, including offering it up as a parcel of land to another developer for something else.

That said, any developer could build a good 40 apartments on top (or about 150 student studios), but reserve only 5 parking spaces as residents parking. Offer say 20 as secure parking spaces for Lifestyles users. But that could impact on the desirability of the flats themselves, making them harder to market. Either way, there's lots of options that could work and I'd be interested to hear what people come up with.

Pietari liked this post
Old November 21st, 2017, 09:02 PM   #608
Tommo85

Likes (Received): 19

I’m surprised Everton Park doesn’t make enough out of subs to keep itself going. It must offer more subsidised services than I thought.
Think I’ve said it before but if I was more cynical I’d say The Gym opening next door was pushed in order to help justify any future closure or sell off. The unit wasn’t supposed to be a gym, and they had to get planning permission for the change.
I actually like it and I’m a member of both in the city. Offers everything I need, it’s cheap, modern and open 24 hours. Noticed tonight it even has an Amazon locker inside, which will come in handy. Having said that, it has to have an effect on membership next door.

Nothing wrong with any of that, as it’s just supply and demand, but considering this project has gradually lost the market, much of the housing, library and health centre, You’d be forgiven for thinking this was the plan all along...
Tommo85 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2017, 09:15 PM   #609
baias

Location: live in a beautiful over 1800 ft high valley in the woodlands some 30 miles from bilbao
Likes (Received): 1044

I would be really angry, very angry if those elected to govern me would today announce ta massive multimillion construction project to host travelers coming in by boat for a few hours using my money and then the next day would openly say that due to funding constraints they can not provide me with a decent pool and sports centre
baias no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2017, 09:45 PM   #610
buggedboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by baias View Post
I would be really angry, very angry if those elected to govern me would today announce ta massive multimillion construction project to host travelers coming in by boat for a few hours using my money and then the next day would openly say that due to funding constraints they can not provide me with a decent pool and sports centre
Do I have to keep posting this?

The council are borrowing money to build to cruise liner terminal. It's a one-off off loan.

It's illegal to borrow money to keep services going.

mmcd, leepee25 liked this post
Old November 23rd, 2017, 11:07 PM   #611
Portobello Red

Likes (Received): 14396

Great Homer Street - 1974
@scousegary1

Pietari liked this post
Portobello Red no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2017, 03:43 PM   #612
mmcd

Likes (Received): 1416

Still not quite got this road right have they. Perhaps the next incarnation.
mmcd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2017, 10:12 AM   #613
Portobello Red

Great Homer Street - 1968
@oldpicposter

Great Homer Street / Roscommon Street

Great Homer Street - 1967

Pietari liked this post

Last edited by Portobello Red; November 25th, 2017 at 10:28 AM.
Old November 26th, 2017, 04:40 PM   #614
Portobello Red

Great Homer Street following the May Blitz - 1941
@scousegary1

AbidM, Leongname liked this post
Old November 28th, 2017, 02:27 PM   #615
Liverpool1207

Next 'community facility' to open looks like being the bookies in Unit 2 next to Domino's - Done Brothers have a license application on the window
Old November 30th, 2017, 04:04 PM   #616
Liverpool1207

The length of Greatie noticeably busier today, in terms of traffic, footfall and people at bus-stops. Looks like a possible start on fitting out of Rowlands Chemist
Old December 4th, 2017, 04:44 PM   #617
Liverpool1207

Consultation on proposals for Everton Park Lifestyles: http://www.liverpoolexpress.co.uk/ev...erator-sought/

Everton Park Lifestyles operator sought

December 3, 2017

A search is set to get underway for an operator to run Lifestyles Everton Park Sports Centre, with the aim of securing a sustainable future for the site.

A report recommends an eight week consultation with users, staff, residents and businesses to gauge views on a third party taking over the day to day management of the swimming pool, gym and sports facilities.

It follows positive, informal approaches from several external organisations interested in operating the site – which was built in 1979, with the swimming pool added in 1984.

One of the city council’s key aims is to ensure that there will be continued community access to facilities, including by schools such as Notre Dame Catholic College, which use the sports centre on a weekly basis for core and additional curricular activity.

The site – which costs £540k a year to run – is one of ten indoor sport and leisure facilities operated by Liverpool City Council under the Lifestyles brand.

Consultation will start on Monday 4 December 2017 and last for 8 weeks. It will include:
•An online questionnaire will be available from Monday 4 December at www.liverpool.gov.uk/lifestyles (hard copies will be available)
•A dedicated email box for comments; [email protected]
•Meetings with stakeholders e.g. schools, clubs etc.
•A public meeting (date and location to be confirmed in the near future)

Mayor of Liverpool, Joe Anderson, said: “We need to find £90 million of savings over the next three years, and this means having a long, hard look at every building we operate.

“There is interest from other established organisations in regards to running Everton Park, and at a time when we have to make significant savings, it is prudent to look at what third parties think could be achieved to improve the facilities for local people.

“We have a good track record of transferring other council buildings over to partner organisations who in turn have the ability to be able to attract investment and improve facilities.

“As part of providing a sustainable, efficient and cost effective service, we have committed to investing into leisure over the next two years, but this investment cannot sustain all of the Lifestyles facilities in the long-term. By looking at different way of working with the Everton Park facility, we see this as the start of a long-term vision for the service.

“I would like to reassure people who use Everton Park that this is just the start of the process and we will be keeping them in touch with developments over the next few months.”

The city council has committed to supporting its leisure facilities until 2019 at the least, and is looking at each site to make sure the Lifestyles service is cost-effective and sustainable in the long term.

It is hoped that interviews with a shortlist of potential third parties will take place at the end of February 2018 and a final decision made at a Cabinet meeting in the March.
Old December 12th, 2017, 08:35 PM   #618
Liverpool1207

Extra Care, and Rowlands Chemist now being fitted out.

I assume the existing Rowlands further down on Greatie its self will be closing down?

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: