daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Birmingham Metro Area > Birmingham Metro Area Transport Projects

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 31st, 2017, 02:42 AM   #4001
Harbornite

Likes (Received): 233

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtcw :) View Post

For example, there are 4 intermediate train stations between New St and the airport. If we removed all of those stations, we can add 2-3 more trains per hour between those stations. Obviously, those additional trains would have to terminate at the airport instead of continuing due to lack of capacity on the rail line after the airport but that's a good start since we can extend some trains terminating at New St to the airport free up some capacity at New St.

Trams would replace those missing intermediate stops although not directly. Except for Marston Green and perhaps Lea Hall, the stations on this line are in awkward locations, away from population centres.

I realise some people might not like it but it's worth it if it means double, perhaps even triple the frequency at the cost of 5-10 minutes extra travelling time.
Where's your evidence for any of this (e.g. the 2-3 additional trains)? Removing heavy rail stations because you think they don't serve population centres and that more capacity will be created doesn't cut the mustard I'm afraid. Also, how many people are going to want an extended journey time? My guess is not many.
Harbornite no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 15th, 2017, 02:25 AM   #4002
metrogogo

Likes (Received): 9227

Trams are now running to New Street/Grand Central again after a water pipe burst on the corner of Bull Street and Corporation Street, trams were terminating at Bull Street.

Untitled
by metrogogo, on Flickr

Untitled
by metrogogo, on Flickr

Untitled
by metrogogo, on Flickr

Untitled
by metrogogo, on Flickr

Untitled by metrogogo, on Flickr
metrogogo está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2017, 04:06 AM   #4003
Typhoon2000
...Ready for departure.

Likes (Received): 514

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbornite View Post
Where's your evidence for any of this (e.g. the 2-3 additional trains)? Removing heavy rail stations because you think they don't serve population centres and that more capacity will be created doesn't cut the mustard I'm afraid. Also, how many people are going to want an extended journey time? My guess is not many.
He's right. In fact the heavy rail route, with thw stations you describe, would benefit massively from four tracking all the way from Birmingham to Coventry. Perhaps even as for as the Willenhall Estate, with HST's and fast suburban trains using the mainlines and slower services using all stops on a suburban route.

Closest equivalent system I can think is from London Liverpool Street to Shenfield, Essex on the Great Eastern.
Typhoon2000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2017, 09:51 AM   #4004
The Big Ginge

Likes (Received): 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Typhoon2000 View Post
He's right. In fact the heavy rail route, with thw stations you describe, would benefit massively from four tracking all the way from Birmingham to Coventry. Perhaps even as for as the Willenhall Estate, with HST's and fast suburban trains using the mainlines and slower services using all stops on a suburban route.

Closest equivalent system I can think is from London Liverpool Street to Shenfield, Essex on the Great Eastern.
Four-tracking all the way from Birmingham (even excluding the New Street approaches) to Birmingham Airport would be difficult and expensive. Doimg a short section (Adderley Park to Stechford, or Stechford to Lee Hall), would allow extra capacity by allowing fast trains to overtake stoppers. It's the speed differential that is sapping capacity at the moment.

Added to this, HS2 will take out some of the express demand. and the metro some of the local demand. This will ease pressure somewhat on the existing services, but will also reduce the business case for expensive four-tracking. I can see Birmingham-London expresses on this stretch going down to 2 per hour (per direction) after HS2 opens. However, I could also see Chiltern running a service from Marylebone through Leamington, Kenilworth amd Coventry to Birmingham International.

Harbornite liked this post
The Big Ginge está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2017, 11:55 AM   #4005
Billsmothers

Likes (Received): 675

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Ginge View Post
Four-tracking all the way from Birmingham (even excluding the New Street approaches) to Birmingham Airport would be difficult and expensive.
Apparently the LMS bought land for this purpose during the 1930s. I don't know whether it was subsequently sold off or whether ownership has been inherited by Network Rail.
Billsmothers no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2017, 05:58 AM   #4006
Typhoon2000
...Ready for departure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billsmothers View Post
Apparently the LMS bought land for this purpose during the 1930s. I don't know whether it was subsequently sold off or whether ownership has been inherited by Network Rail.
If it's Network Rail, they probably don't even know that they own it!
Old November 22nd, 2017, 12:41 AM   #4007
DBadger
culled

Likes (Received): 4094

Anyone know the status of the Bilston Urban Village and Hill Top tram stops on line one? Are they just future dreams, or are they going to happen?

♣ WOLVERHAMPTON [WMCA] GREATER BIRMINGHAM
DBadger no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2017, 12:50 AM   #4008
karra97

Likes (Received): 263

I don't think the Hill Top one is going to happen, the locals in that area are really against it for some reason.
karra97 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2017, 12:59 AM   #4009
ellbrown
flickr ell brown

Likes (Received): 5466

Some photos of trams in Wednesbury on Sunday.

Wednesbury Parkway - got tram 31 there.

Tram 20 seen on the Birmingham bound platform

Later went to Wednesbury Great Western Street

Tram 31 was on it's way back to Priestfield.

And I got tram 20 back to Grand Central.

MK Tom liked this post
ellbrown está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2017, 07:19 PM   #4010
scoop115

Likes (Received): 59

Any Bidders ?

I thought they had all gone to the big scrapyard in the sky ?

https://www.tfwm.org.uk/news/former-...n=SocialSignIn

MK Tom liked this post
scoop115 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2017, 02:11 AM   #4011
Typhoon2000
...Ready for departure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoop115 View Post
Any Bidders ?

I thought they had all gone to the big scrapyard in the sky ?

https://www.tfwm.org.uk/news/former-...n=SocialSignIn
Recyclers to turn them into homes or shalet style suites? Or some mug will by them and try to run them. Why do we not have a Transport Museum though? Birmingham has an extremely rich history of producing all kinds of vehicles for transport yet very little is preserved and exhibited.

(Someone at Cadbury obviously has a sense of humour...)
This is Birmingham... FORWARD!!!
Old December 2nd, 2017, 01:42 PM   #4012
ellbrown
flickr ell brown

Likes (Received): 5466

Maybe the Tramway Museum in Crich, Derbyshire could buy one?

Don't think there is room in Thinktank, they already have one old tram in there!

Old December 4th, 2017, 12:08 AM   #4013
morestoreysplease
Brummie Angeleno

Likes (Received): 1310

In the mid 90s when they were pitching for the operators of the trams Metro Cammell were still at Washwood Heath but they opted for the Neopolitan firm to supply them - apparently the wiring was akin to a plate of spaghetti
Old December 4th, 2017, 04:02 PM   #4014
Billsmothers

Likes (Received): 675

Quote:
Originally Posted by morestoreysplease View Post
In the mid 90s when they were pitching for the operators of the trams Metro Cammell were still at Washwood Heath but they opted for the Neopolitan firm to supply them - apparently the wiring was akin to a plate of spaghetti
Not Metro Cammell, I think it was Alstom (or Alsthom) by then. In any case, they had no history of building trams - just several generations of London Underground trains and main line trains like Pendolinos and Eurostars.

The only second generation trams built in Britain were the ones for the new system in Strasbourg built by Bombardier in Derby in the 1990s. For some reason they stopped making them (actually, the "some reason" was probably the extreme stop-start nature of the UK tram revolution).

I remember years ago some go-ahead tram types floating the idea of a no-frills, budget UK tram that would save costs by introducing a degree of standardisation across new systems, but no more was heard about it. Probably because the 17 or whatever it was supposed to be new systems promised by John Prescott when Labour first came to power in 1997 turned out to be a figment of his imagination.
Billsmothers no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2017, 10:12 PM   #4015
DBadger
culled

Likes (Received): 4094

Quote:
Originally Posted by morestoreysplease View Post
So bad that they took one of the trams apart and couldn't put it back together again as none of the cables were labelled nor made sense.

♣ WOLVERHAMPTON [WMCA] GREATER BIRMINGHAM
DBadger no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
metro