daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Liverpool Metro Area

Liverpool Metro Area 'Scouse Scrapers for both sides of the Mersey

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 2nd, 2014, 09:53 PM   #1
Chris B
Liverpool - Est. 1207

Likes (Received): 12644

Paddington Village | Former Archbishop Blanch Site | Grove Street | Knowledge Quarter Extension

With the preparations for the new building for Archbishop Blanch School on Smithdown Road progressing, and with the new school due to open in September 2015, I thought it would be useful to have a thread to discuss what will happen to its existing site on Minshull Street.

A few years ago, we saw a plan from the University of Liverpool, which indicated they saw the site being used for further university buildings, although plans were rather vague, and nothing has been heard from them since.

Today, an Echo report on the RLUH's Bio-Innovation Centre includes the following snippet -
Quote:
There is even talk that Liverpool City Council might construct a third, similar facility a few hundred yards away on the site of the soon to be closed Archbishop Blanch School.
Full article here - http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/...al-bio-7864136

In light of these two reports, I think it's fair to call it a 'Knowledge Quarter Extension'. Going forward, as plans are firmed up, the thread title can be amended as necessary.

With the new school opening in eleven months, and given the length of time it takes to draw up plans, get planning permission, and secure funding, hopefully the snippet from the Echo above is evidence that things are already in the works, so as to get a start on-site as soon as is practical after the site becomes available.

I doubt there will be much disagreement to extending the Knowledge Quarter, but how would people like to see the site developed? For me, I think buildings of comparable height to Crown Place along the Minshull Street frontage, and most of the way up Irvine Street West should be the way to go, perhaps just losing a couple of storeys in line with the rise of the land towards the back of the site. A prominent corner feature to address the major Low Hill junction would also be good. I would also like to see a pedestrian/cycle route across the site, from the top of Brownlow Hill to near Edge Hill Church, as currently the site is a bit of a roadblock. In terms of usage, I wouldn't like to see it restricted to just Bio-Science (although some would be good). I think a mixed approach to what the building(s) house would be a good way to go.

Any thoughts on how, what is quite a large site, with an even larger potential, should be developed?

Paul D, Wolves79, Owl. liked this post
Chris B no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 2nd, 2014, 10:18 PM   #2
sternslovchild

Likes (Received): 173

Cycling is fine when travelling up or down the hill, just turning right is a pain in the arse, which I doubt a path will help. Though what happens at the top by the church is fun. One can turn left and chance dodging taxis and buses or try Islington and keep up with the traffic.
sternslovchild no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2014, 11:10 PM   #3
Chris B
Liverpool - Est. 1207

I was thinking that as well as providing a short cut, a route across the site would allow cyclists travelling between Brownlow Hill and Edge Hill to completely by-pass the busy Low Hill/West Derby Street junction. Inbound this would just provide a short cut. Outbound this would eliminate a series of awkward, if not impossible manoeuvres, including a couple of right hand turns.

In any event, it was only an idea born of the fact that the site is quite large, and thus will be likely to be redeveloped as several buildings, thus allowing new routes through.
Old October 3rd, 2014, 12:21 AM   #4
GLCBanana

Likes (Received): 106

I don't think you two are talking about the same church there? I think Chris is talking about the one just off Edge Lane where Wavertree Road starts, near the Bears Paw pub (the strange one-way system heading into town used to circumnavigate it)? Whereas Sterny is thinking of the Sacred Heart church behind the Royal (next to the Kenny/Prescot Street junction, thus close to Islington)?
i.e. Chris is talking about an east-west cycle route; Stern a north-south one. Both involve going up/down a hill, so it's all quite confusing.
GLCBanana no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2014, 01:14 AM   #5
sternslovchild

Likes (Received): 173

Ah well. Spotters badge for you though. The strava geeks called the west east one mount verntoux, oh so punny.

Saley liked this post
sternslovchild no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2014, 02:00 AM   #6
bluesnapper

Likes (Received): 1607

Just a note to say the address of the Archies is Mount Vernon Road and not Minshull Street.
bluesnapper no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2015, 03:09 PM   #7
Chris B
Liverpool - Est. 1207

Just digging up this thread, as as noted on the Planning Applications thread, an application for demolition of all buildings on the site has gone in. Of further interest, the related documents reveal that, subject to the council giving itself permission (I know it has to be done by the book), the intended date of demolition is October 2015. Therefore, within six months of now, comfortably before the end of the year, we should have a cleared site, ready for redevelopment. Whatever is planned for this site, the speed at which things are progressing is reason for cautious optimism that this site will be redeveloped sooner rather than later.

Paul D, Owl. liked this post
Old May 14th, 2015, 05:15 PM   #8
bluesnapper

Likes (Received): 1607

And still,

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesnapper View Post
Just a note to say the address of the Archies is Mount Vernon Road and not Minshull Street.
bluesnapper no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2015, 06:07 PM   #9
Chris B
Liverpool - Est. 1207

Ask b4mmy in the Forum Structure and Organisation thread to correct it.
Old September 11th, 2015, 01:50 PM   #10
Chris B
Liverpool - Est. 1207

So regardless of the railway station talk for this site (which it might be useful to restrict to the railway thread), the fact is, this is a large site, and a station, even if it comes to pass, isn't going to need all of it. Therefore, hopefully, we're still on track for the proposed Bio-hub development, and who knows what else.

In the meantime, whatever happens, I passed by the other day, and noticed that the school has now been fully vacated, and Wilmott Dixon has already started to set up a site compound on the former car park off Smithdown Lane. I also noted that around the former main entrance area, some ripping out has already begun. According to the planning application, the demolition will commence in October. They don't specify exactly when, but that does mean it could start to come down in as little as three weeks from now.

Although the future plans for the site are still a bit vague, there are few sites that currently offer the kind of potential this site does, and therefore, seeing the first step on that road - that being site clearance - getting underway, is quite pleasing to see.

Paul D liked this post

Last edited by Chris B; September 11th, 2015 at 02:20 PM.
Old September 11th, 2015, 02:10 PM   #11
buggedboy

Likes (Received): 3036

If we get an announcement about this location, I'd be a very happy bunny about next year's project pipeline. All of a sudden we've had a positive glut of development announcements. Hopefully at least one of the proposed Bio-Innovation style projects gets started on next year. Apex 2 isn't enough, for me. If we got a definitive CLT announcement too, I think my head would fall off.

Paul D, Skewed liked this post
buggedboy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2015, 04:31 PM   #12
Andrew_M

Likes (Received): 480

I wouldn't count Apex 2 as a Bio-innovation project as most of the building will be filled with people and services from the old Duncan building on the old Royal Hospital site. Hopefully the planned Bio-innovation project on the current Duncan building/Royal Hospital car park will come through.

Wolves79 liked this post
Andrew_M no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2015, 03:21 PM   #13
Andrew_M

There was a large mobile crane on site yesterday on the opposite side to the police station and today covers are being put up on the railings.

Chris B liked this post
Old September 18th, 2015, 03:28 PM   #14
Chris B
Liverpool - Est. 1207

Given it seems to almost be policy to rid the city as many trees as possible, I fear for those trees on the corner. They do add something to a very 'concrete' area, so it would be nice if whatever plans are forthcoming for this site, could see that small sliver of land near the corner retained as green space.

With regard to the crane, from what I could see it seemed to be removing a mobile building - possibly a former classroom - from the site. Presumably it was deemed worth keeping, and has been carted off for future use somewhere else.
Old September 18th, 2015, 04:39 PM   #15
baias

Location: live in a beautiful over 1800 ft high valley in the woodlands some 30 miles from bilbao
Likes (Received): 1042

totally agree with you, the trees must be saved and new ones planted as well
baias no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2015, 05:38 PM   #16
Andrew_M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris B View Post

Given it seems to almost be policy to rid the city as many trees as possible, I fear for those trees on the corner. They do add something to a very 'concrete' area, so it would be nice if whatever plans are forthcoming for this site, could see that small sliver of land near the corner retained as green space.

With regard to the crane, from what I could see it seemed to be removing a mobile building - possibly a former classroom - from the site. Presumably it was deemed worth keeping, and has been carted off for future use somewhere else.
I agree that it would be a shame to loose such lovely and well established trees. They might be safe though. Whats not clear on my picture is the orange plastic fencing that has been put up in between the school and the trees on the corner. I don't think the trees would be separated if they were to go.
Old September 18th, 2015, 06:01 PM   #17
buggedboy

Likes (Received): 3036

I hope not, but I think those trees are as good as gone the minute a development is put forward.
Old September 18th, 2015, 08:28 PM   #18
shamus

Likes (Received): 858

The city is awash with green bits of land where houses, shops and flats used to be .....lots of them become litter traps because the council haven't got the resources to clean them....prime example is the green field behind the Oxford pub....used only by people to let their dogs have a shit, smack heads and local sex workers ...always strewn with litter ....but has some lovely trees on ......but give me the built up Georgian streets and the community that was there before the planners destroyed the city during 15 years of madness. Whatever replaces the school will almost certainly include green infrastructure ....but the way anyone got pix of what as there before Paddy Comp .

AUTOTHRILL liked this post
shamus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2015, 09:45 PM   #19
hugo_chavez

Likes (Received): 1

I used to work at archbishop blanch , I recall that there is some type of rare orchid growing in the grounds. The ground staff were instructed not to mow certain areas. I wonder if this could affect the possible redevelopment of the site.

design_man liked this post
hugo_chavez no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2015, 07:10 PM   #20
superla

Likes (Received): 820

Went past today and noticed that the covers on the railings bear the logo of wilmott Dixon,presumably as lead contractor on this one? Also on site was a welfare cabin belonging to the demolition contractor,Howard Stott.
superla no está en línea   Reply With Quote