daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Liverpool Metro Area

Liverpool Metro Area 'Scouse Scrapers for both sides of the Mersey

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 22nd, 2015, 10:44 PM   #21
AUTOTHRILL
chill

Likes (Received): 1936

this 15 years of planning madness starting and finishing when exactly? i recall bibbys warehouse being an 80s fatality, so id say liverpool was brazenly destroying its heritage for 25 years at least?

Sponsored Links
Old September 22nd, 2015, 11:26 PM   #22
buggedboy

Likes (Received): 3030

I actually thought he meant the 80s to be honest. Late 70s to mid-90s.
Old September 23rd, 2015, 01:49 AM   #23
shamus

Likes (Received): 858

I think the peak of destruction probably from 1960 - 1975...granted that fine buildings have been lost since on a fairly regular basis ...but that was the peak of the inner city clearances ...I think from 1961-1971 the city lost more than 100,000 of its population which is truly staggering ...also the large scale destruction of much of Canning by the University , the historic streets that made way for St Johns and the annihilation of Scotland Road for the Tunnel all happened in this period .....much of the destruction that came after could possibly be traced back to this period . The loss of population fragmenting communities further encouraging urban flight and laving behind blighted post war housing and the remnants of a historic fabric that no longer ha d the population to support it .
shamus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2015, 01:41 PM   #24
Andrew_M

Likes (Received): 480

I saw two container size skips arriving yesterday and today workmen are throwing things out of the windows from one of the buildings into them. There is also a digger on site.

Chris B, Paul D, Owl. liked this post
Andrew_M no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2015, 09:37 PM   #25
Martin S

Likes (Received): 3083

It would be good if the demolition of the school was followed immediately by some new iconic development. However, even if all that appears is a surface level car park, that would be better than leaving the buildings in an ever more ruinous state right at the entrance to the university area.

Paul D liked this post
Martin S no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2015, 03:05 PM   #26
Chris B
Liverpool - Est. 1207

Likes (Received): 12636

The city council's Schools Investment Team have applied for prior approval to demolish the main commercial building and all outbuildings at 46-50 Mason Street, which is the street that runs across the top edge of the former Archbishop Blanch site. As it turned out, prior approval was not needed. Next door, the former Magnet Trade centre is now vacant after they re-located to Aintree. These sites and the landscape buffer next door together are around a third the size of the school site. If combined with the school site, the whole area represents a sizable plot of land, in a favourable location. Hopefully the fact they have included these adjacent sites means there are already plans in the works, and we'll see something on the Planning Explorer soon.

For reference -
Yellow circle - Commercial buildings to be demolished.
Blue circle - Vacant former Magnet Trade Centre.
Red - Potential size of the site if combined.

Original image from Google Maps. Copyright to Google. Shown here for informational purposes only.

baias, Paul D, openlyJane, woody liked this post
Chris B no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2015, 03:28 PM   #27
baias

Location: live in a beautiful over 1800 ft high valley in the woodlands some 30 miles from bilbao
Likes (Received): 1042

massive site, strategically located, looks perfect for a dense new neighbourhood

Streetlife1 liked this post
baias no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2015, 04:53 PM   #28
superla

Likes (Received): 816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris B View Post
The city council's Schools Investment Team have applied for prior approval to demolish the main commercial building and all outbuildings at 46-50 Mason Street, which is the street that runs across the top edge of the former Archbishop Blanch site. As it turned out, prior approval was not needed. Next door, the former Magnet Trade centre is now vacant after they re-located to Aintree. These sites and the landscape buffer next door together are around a third the size of the school site. If combined with the school site, the whole area represents a sizable plot of land, in a favourable location. Hopefully the fact they have included these adjacent sites means there are already plans in the works, and we'll see something on the Planning Explorer soon.

For reference -
Yellow circle - Commercial buildings to be demolished.
Blue circle - Vacant former Magnet Trade Centre.
Red - Potential size of the site if combined.

Original image from Google Maps. Copyright to Google. Shown here for informational purposes only.
Magnet may have vacated the building but it appears that at least the yard in front of it is being used. By the look of it as a storage/loading yard for the next door merseyflex hose and welding supplier.
superla no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2015, 05:00 PM   #29
Chris B
Liverpool - Est. 1207

It's the Merseyflex building they have applied to demolish, so presumably they will be moving on soon.
Old October 6th, 2015, 05:06 PM   #30
superla

Likes (Received): 816

cheers Chris I was kind of hoping the entire site would be cleared,such a strange place for light industrial units IMO
superla no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2015, 05:44 PM   #31
shamus

I wonder what was there before the school was built ....I wonder if it was terraced streets or a continuation of the Georgian areas on the Edge of town. This could be a great chance to create some density look at all that unused space ....surface car parks etc.....this is typical of this peripheral part of town .....it was like they knocked huge swathes of buildings down and then didn't know what to do with it ......so all tHe modern buildings ended up with loads of land around it .....the Local Solutions building on the opposite side needs to go as well.
Old October 6th, 2015, 05:55 PM   #32
thecityofgold

Likes (Received): 318

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamus View Post
I wonder what was there before the school was built ....I wonder if it was terraced streets or a continuation of the Georgian areas on the Edge of town. This could be a great chance to create some density look at all that unused space ....surface car parks etc.....this is typical of this peripheral part of town .....it was like they knocked huge swathes of buildings down and then didn't know what to do with it ......so all tHe modern buildings ended up with loads of land around it .....the Local Solutions building on the opposite side needs to go as well.
I once worked at the Williamson Tunnel Visitors Centre and they have photos there of Mason Street with Georgian terraces along it's length. The 'tunnels' were in fact foundations for gardens at the back of the terraces.
thecityofgold no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2015, 05:56 PM   #33
Ben_W

Likes (Received): 23

I wonder if the Williamson Tunnels are going to cause an issue for this site?

When I went on a tour there a few years ago, the guide stated that was why the playground for AB was positioned where is was - as they couldn't be sure if they built the school itself further back that it would be on ground that could support it!
Ben_W no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2015, 04:41 PM   #34
Andrew_M

Likes (Received): 480

Demolition of one of the smaller buildings has now started. Taken this afternoon but not very clear I'm afraid. I'll take a look later when more of the building should be down.

Chris B liked this post
Andrew_M no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2015, 04:49 PM   #35
ReelCrazy
Regular Merseyrail User

Likes (Received): 49

I wonder if they will knock the Mount Vernon pub down and include it and the car park behind in this site?
ReelCrazy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2015, 06:37 PM   #36
Chris B
Liverpool - Est. 1207

Plans were submitted (and approved as memory serves) a few months back to convert the Mount Vernon pub to residential, including adding a two storey on top, and a four storey extension to the rear elevation.
Old October 8th, 2015, 07:41 PM   #37
openlyJane
Human Being

Likes (Received): 42491

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris B View Post

Plans were submitted (and approved as memory serves) a few months back to convert the Mount Vernon pub to residential, including adding a two storey on top, and a four storey extension to the rear elevation.
That's good. I like it, myself.
openlyJane no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2015, 08:30 PM   #38
shamus

It's a gem of a little building ..perhaps it could reopen as a pub....when the Royal opens and hopefully Archbishop Blanch is redeveloped..there could be a good call for a traditional pub selling food and and I think it has a backyard which could be a little beer garden.
Old October 9th, 2015, 02:19 PM   #39
ReelCrazy
Regular Merseyrail User

Likes (Received): 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamus View Post
It's a gem of a little building ..perhaps it could reopen as a pub....when the Royal opens and hopefully Archbishop Blanch is redeveloped..there could be a good call for a traditional pub selling food and and I think it has a backyard which could be a little beer garden.
Anecdotally I heard many years ago that you can access one of the Williamson Tunnels through some sort of hatch in the pubs yard. Love to know if its true.
ReelCrazy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2015, 01:06 AM   #40
AUTOTHRILL
chill

Likes (Received): 1936

thats a tantalising bit of info reel. very mysterious.