daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Liverpool Metro Area

Liverpool Metro Area 'Scouse Scrapers for both sides of the Mersey

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 21st, 2016, 11:24 PM   #21
baias

Location: live in a beautiful over 1800 ft high valley in the woodlands some 30 miles from bilbao
Likes (Received): 1042

dear jane, it is a project so far but of an scale that one can get easily get excited about mainly because it looks superb and comes out from a company that delivers

an enormous 250 million pounds investment and three massive, imposing sisters welcoming the world to the heart of the city, fantastic news

I had to read the article twice before I understood its enormous significance as it could transform that leeds street ringroad into a central thoroughfare creating a whole new northern neighbourhood as there are plenty of brownfields around waiting to be developed into a new performing arts centre, brand new garstang museum, colleges, sports centres and yes, even office blocks
baias no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 21st, 2016, 11:37 PM   #22
selecta

Likes (Received): 169

if this gets built it'll sit right on any proposed platform footprint for the 400 m platforms of HS2 at Exchange station.
selecta no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2016, 12:47 AM   #23
Centurio

Likes (Received): 4532

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul D View Post
I think he's realised that if he builds tall in the Baltic Triangle it gets butchered, but there's no excuse to take floors off this unless there's an issue with right to light. Princes Reach managed 34 floors but I can't see any heritage issues here, I'm sure someone will have a gripe though, it's Liverpool afterall.
Looks like nice visuals (but again - daytime visuals please!). If there is pressure on height, it won't be coming from residents, and as I've said elsewhere this auto-lopping of floors has to stop.

This whole area desperately needs a proper plan, though. This is right at the start of the Commercial District expansion zone, and yet the Commercial District doesn't even reach it. Lots of space surrounding this on all sides, which is gagging for serious and major office development. With so many people slated to live in and around this small area, how can anyone look at this and not think "surely all these people are going to need some place to work??", especially if these flats are going to command top dollar.

-

James2014, Skewed, Paul D, Chris B, baias and 1 others liked this post
Centurio no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2016, 01:44 AM   #24
liverpoolchap

Likes (Received): 11

The Baltic traiangle is close to being done?

Love this towers
liverpoolchap no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2016, 01:47 AM   #25
pablo 1878

Likes (Received): 617

Maybe the developers have got to start playing the game a bit more if there is going to be a height reduction on every scheme. Like any healthy negotiations, you make an opening gambit in excess of your realistic expectations. You want 32 floors, apply for 40. When the random floor lopping kicks in, you've got a position from which you can negotiate from

Centurio, bluesnapper, Chris B, Mentalic liked this post
pablo 1878 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2016, 12:09 PM   #26
openlyJane
Human Being

Likes (Received): 42513

Quote:
Originally Posted by baias View Post
dear jane, it is a project so far but of an scale that one can get easily get excited about mainly because it looks superb and comes out from a company that delivers

an enormous 250 million pounds investment and three massive, imposing sisters welcoming the world to the heart of the city, fantastic news

I had to read the article twice before I understood its enormous significance as it could transform that leeds street ringroad into a central thoroughfare creating a whole new northern neighbourhood as there are plenty of brownfields around waiting to be developed into a new performing arts centre, brand new garstang museum, colleges, sports centres and yes, even office blocks
I have learned to judge based on actions and outcomes rather than on words and flashy renders. Elliot’s ( & other developers) schemes are all funded through the pre-sale of units. Even if cash is taken up-front, the schemes still won’t necessarily progress - as we’re seeing in an increasing number of occasions.

The difference between this sort of development and the one proposed by Panacea - for The Strand, for example, is that The Strand development has a single funding source, and once through planning should proceed relatively quickly and smoothly

baias liked this post
openlyJane no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2016, 12:42 PM   #27
larklanered

Likes (Received): 230

Be great to see this happen. These are the sort of developments what's kick start others too.
larklanered no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2016, 02:06 PM   #28
Bogeyana

Likes (Received): 2080

Quote:
Originally Posted by pablo 1878 View Post
Maybe the developers have got to start playing the game a bit more if there is going to be a height reduction on every scheme.
Could this be the start of those tactics? 34 floors bid, 20 accepted?

Hope not.

(Graham Turner is not a Scouser)

Mentalic liked this post
Bogeyana no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2016, 05:01 PM   #29
tomo90

Likes (Received): 923

I am excited about this because I cannot see how the heritage lobby could ruin this for us and the planners are happy with it already. I hope I am not disappointed.
tomo90 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2016, 05:11 PM   #30
pablo 1878

Likes (Received): 617

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogeyana View Post
Could this be the start of those tactics? 34 floors bid, 20 accepted?

Hope not.
That's quite a drop. I was thinking more like 30 accepted, maybe 28
pablo 1878 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2016, 05:43 PM   #31
Super Furry Animal

Likes (Received): 374

Quote:
Originally Posted by selecta View Post
if this gets built it'll sit right on any proposed platform footprint for the 400 m platforms of HS2 at Exchange station.
Hate to be a negative nanny, but that's kinda what I was thinking too.

I think Centurio is right with this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centurio View Post
This whole area desperately needs a proper plan, though. This is right at the start of the Commercial District expansion zone, and yet the Commercial District doesn't even reach it. Lots of space surrounding this on all sides, which is gagging for serious and major office development. With so many people slated to live in and around this small area, how can anyone look at this and not think "surely all these people are going to need some place to work??", especially if these flats are going to command top dollar.
A proper plan - whether or not including Exchange/400m captive HS2 platforms, would either ring-fence the land, or put the idea to bed for good. Excellent proposal though! Some great ambition shown here
Super Furry Animal no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2016, 06:40 PM   #32
Chris B
Liverpool - Est. 1207

Likes (Received): 12644

I suppose the problem with the HS2 issue is that firstly, officially Liverpool is not getting a captive HS2 station, thus no official justification for safeguarding land for that reason. Secondly, even if that decision was reversed, noise from Joe and others suggest they would focus their efforts on HS2 at Lime Street (despite the convincing argument laid down by 20MM of the value of the Exchange site). Finally, any safe-guarding for such schemes would need to be a part of official policy of interested parties, which it isn't. Therefore any attempt to block this development on the grounds of HS2 into Exchange would not stand up at all.

Also, while we all hope for a positive outcome for HS2 and Liverpool, I might just point out the lower end of London Road, and what can happen when safeguarding of land for a planned, but highly ambitious transport project, gets in the way of regeneration.

Super Furry Animal liked this post
Chris B no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2016, 06:44 PM   #33
Centurio

Likes (Received): 4532

Tbh this is the kind of discussion that has always concerned me about HS2 here. There are clear and immediate opportunities for wide-ranging economic development... or we could just sit on derelict land waiting for the next 40 years for something that may never happen (and that would be the case even if they turned about today and said it was coming to Liverpool). With a strong possibility of the line terminating in Birmingham, and even stronger possibility of the line terminating at Crewe... the best option (on top of everything I've said before) really is Lime Street because it can operate with or without it, and HS2 could only have a beneficial impact there, rather than blocking development (most likely pointlessly).

-

Super Furry Animal, jetsetwilly liked this post
Centurio no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2016, 07:07 PM   #34
tomo90

Likes (Received): 923

This whole "HS2 at Exchange St" discussion is a waste of time because if we get a link it will be at Lime St. End of.
tomo90 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2016, 08:42 PM   #35
Owl.

Likes (Received): 3009

A higher quality image from Place North West -

Old June 22nd, 2016, 09:15 PM   #36
baias

Location: live in a beautiful over 1800 ft high valley in the woodlands some 30 miles from bilbao
Likes (Received): 1042

I quite hate this pseudoexpression but

wow wow wow!!!

the pool08 liked this post
baias no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2016, 09:58 PM   #37
Yapachoo

Likes (Received): 14

I think the scale is appropriate for this plot and I love the ambition, but I really don't like buildings being constructed with a shared structure at the base like that. I don't know if there's a technical term for it, but whatever it is I can't think of an example of it that has dated well. It often just looks as though the building(s) is/are incomplete at street level somehow. I think it might be something to do with the discontinuation of the natural building lines.

Also I think mid-rises can work well in three identical sets like this but I'm not convinced with towers. I'm all for a landmark tower aspect to the development (higher the better in fact), but three identical like that could have a negative impact on the form of the skyline IMO. The only example I can think of that works is perhaps those towers in Singapore, but they're stand alone and framed by a harbour.

But on the whole, very encouraging that this area is finally getting a look in again. Leeds St. certainly seems the most obvious place for a corridor of talls.
Yapachoo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2016, 10:44 PM   #38
Dreamer
Let the Jam decide

Likes (Received): 286

I like it, but my only concern is wont some of the flats be facing other flats? So not sure about the positioning, I would prefer a two tower arrangement with one being taller a la Pan Peninsula or perhaps with a square between the towers and at a juxtaposition so people are not looking in to other people's flats can more people get good views. This location is perfect for towers but ideally they need more space between them to prevent them being rammed in and on top of each other.
Old June 22nd, 2016, 11:14 PM   #39
AUTOTHRILL
chill

Likes (Received): 1948

yeah, despise podiums.
Old June 23rd, 2016, 08:02 AM   #40
Super Furry Animal

Likes (Received): 374

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomo90 View Post
This whole "HS2 at Exchange St" discussion is a waste of time because if we get a link it will be at Lime St. End of.
Excellent! Can you also tell me next weeks lottery numbers?
Super Furry Animal no está en línea   Reply With Quote