daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Liverpool Metro Area

Liverpool Metro Area 'Scouse Scrapers for both sides of the Mersey

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 27th, 2016, 04:28 PM   #1
Liverpool1207

Likes (Received): 4536

Liverpool Markets

Now Liverpool Council have taken the markets back in house would it be useful to have a 'Liverpool Markets' thread....assuming one isn't hiding somewhere
Liverpool1207 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 27th, 2016, 08:51 PM   #2
superla

Likes (Received): 816

Liverpool Markets

Thread created for all things associated with Liverpool markets, which have been taken back under council control from geraud markets Ltd.
superla está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2016, 09:10 PM   #3
PeterStoba

Likes (Received): 6454

Quote:
Liverpool council takes back city markets - for just ONE POUND

Liverpool council has taken over all markets in the city for just one pound.

The council has bought the former Geraud Markets Liverpool business, which was a joint venture between the council and markets giant Geraud, for a nominal sum of £1.

It will now run all markets – including the famous “Greatie” in Great Homer Street and city street markets – with immediate effect and says it plans to “improve the market offer right across the board”.

Last weekend the popular Lark Lane farmers market was cancelled at short notice, angering traders and visitors. Geraud blamed “unforeseen circumstances”.

And Greatie traders have been left frustrated over the past two weekends as security cover has been unavailable on Friday nights.

The council has been investing heavily in the city’s markets, spending £3m relocating Great Homer Street market to make way for the Project Jennifer development and ploughing £2m into refitting St Johns Market. It is also developing a new fruit and vegetable market.

All staff who worked for the former Geraud Markets Liverpool business will transfer to the council’s new company, Liverpool Markets Ltd.

Councillor Malcolm Kennedy, cabinet member for regeneration, said: “This deal is a watershed moment in the history of Liverpool’s markets and ensures they will once again become a major asset in our flourishing retail sector.

“As a city council we are investing millions in upgrading the facilities and the time had come to take back full control of the operations.

“As a result of this new deal we will be able to host, manage, promote and deliver the markets in-house and ensure a standard of quality befitting the new facilities that we are investing in.

“This new approach will give current tenants, future traders and customers a single point of contact that will enable us to improve the market offer right across the board from farmer’s markets, international markets and the Christmas markets.”

A spokesman for Geraud said: “Geraud confirms that the sale concluded today.

“We understand that the terms of the agreement are confidential.”
http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/...-city-11944286

Medi73#!, James2014 liked this post
PeterStoba no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2016, 09:28 PM   #4
buggedboy

Likes (Received): 3031

That's actually really good news. Geraud are terrible so this could signal some significant change. The main thing is that the exclusivity agreement is now dead so we could see some movement when alternatives are mooted.
Old October 5th, 2016, 12:07 AM   #5
Medi73#!

I'd like to see this years Christmas markets focused on Clayton and Williamson Squares. I think Church Street looks cluttered with stalls and people gravitate to that area anyway.

mmd_pa, Nath4 liked this post
Medi73#! no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2016, 01:55 AM   #6
mmd_pa

Likes (Received): 167

The selection on offer at the Christmas markets could be improved too. Manchester attracts a lot of visitors to their markets but Liverpool's aren't much of an occasion by contrast. No reason we can't do it better.

Medi73#! liked this post
mmd_pa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2016, 02:03 PM   #7
leepee25

Likes (Received): 225

St Georges Plateau, Albert Dock, Exchange Flags, Pier Head, Entrance to the Anglican are much better suited locations for Christmas Markets. The one thing I love most about Manchester's Christmas Markets is the townhall as the backdrop. I'm not interested in the markets that line the shopping streets. Christmas Markets need charming locations to set the scene. I'm not sure I have ever lingered longer than 10 minutes at Liverpool's Christmas Markets.

Andrew_M, pablo 1878 liked this post
leepee25 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2016, 03:48 PM   #8
pablo 1878

Likes (Received): 617

Quote:
Originally Posted by leepee25 View Post
St Georges Plateau, Albert Dock, Exchange Flags, Pier Head, Entrance to the Anglican are much better suited locations for Christmas Markets. The one thing I love most about Manchester's Christmas Markets is the townhall as the backdrop. I'm not interested in the markets that line the shopping streets. Christmas Markets need charming locations to set the scene. I'm not sure I have ever lingered longer than 10 minutes at Liverpool's Christmas Markets.
Totally agree with the suggestion of St Georges Plateau. Whilst it is a little way away from the main retail areas, it could be made into a real destination in its own right if done properly
pablo 1878 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2016, 04:03 PM   #9
buggedboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by pablo 1878 View Post
Totally agree with the suggestion of St Georges Plateau. Whilst it is a little way away from the main retail areas, it could be made into a real destination in its own right if done properly
It really is the only option. Take up the plateau, with stalls extending all the way down William Brown Street.

They could also have stalls inside the hall itself, with music and performances taking place inside too. having a mixture of indoor and outdoor would attract different operators and weather-proof parts of the event. The backdrop is also ideal.

Work with operators within the St George';s Quarter, opening the Walker/Museum later, with discounted tickets for shows at the Royal Court/Playhouse.

Taken all together we'd probably have the biggest Xmas market of any competitor city nationally.
Old October 5th, 2016, 04:12 PM   #10
pablo 1878

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggedboy View Post
It really is the only option. Take up the plateau, with stalls extending all the way down William Brown Street.

They could also have stalls inside the hall itself, with music and performances taking place inside too. having a mixture of indoor and outdoor would attract different operators and weather-proof parts of the event. The backdrop is also ideal.

Work with operators within the St George';s Quarter, opening the Walker/Museum later, with discounted tickets for shows at the Royal Court/Playhouse.

Taken all together we'd probably have the biggest Xmas market of any competitor city nationally.
You've sold it to me anyway, especially the bit about extending down William Brown Street. Would look great

Mayne the council taking the markets back in-house will allow this sort of ambitious scenario. A few market stalls spread out in Church Street, Lord Street and Paradise Street has never really worked. It needs to be a destination to work properly
Old October 5th, 2016, 09:16 PM   #11
openlyJane
Human Being

Likes (Received): 42494

Quote:
It does require trees and planting to soften the harshness of the space IMO - especially if it is to be somewhere that people want to go; to linger, and to spend time. Love the Xmas market idea. The annual Winter Arts Market in the hall is a must for me - for presents.....
openlyJane no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2016, 10:04 PM   #12
baias

Location: live in a beautiful over 1800 ft high valley in the woodlands some 30 miles from bilbao
Likes (Received): 1042

by the way the designs published by the local paper regarding the council plans for st george´s plateau look great
baias no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2016, 12:48 PM   #13
Liverpool1207

Likes (Received): 4536

http://www.yourmovemagazine.com/new-...s-market/20569

New landmark venue for Liverpool’s 2016 Winter Arts Market

A new venue will host Liverpool’s Winter Arts Market when it returns for its eighth year in December.

The event, which has previously taken place at the landmark St George’s Hall, will this year be held at the also iconic Liverpool Cathedral.

More than 200 artists, designers and makers are expected to showcase and sell their creations when the arts and crafts market – which is the largest in Merseyside – takes place on 3 December.

As well as paintings and jewellery to Christmas decorations, homewares and handmade beauty products being available, the 2016 market will also feature a vintage fair in the cathedral’s Concert Room, a food fair and Christmassy crafts.

Paul D liked this post
Liverpool1207 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2016, 04:33 PM   #14
openlyJane
Human Being

Likes (Received): 42494

Might be good news for the anglican cathedral funds - but I think St George’s Hall was/is a far better location for it.
openlyJane no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2016, 07:47 PM   #15
Paul D
CENTRAL SCRUTINIZER

Likes (Received): 6714

City’s Farmers Market trebles in size!

Liverpool City Council only took control of the city’s markets 10 days ago – but it’s already having an impact.

The city’s first speciality market under the new regime has trebled in size!

Woolton Farmers Market is back with a bang tomorrow (October 8), with 27 stalls – up from its usual number of 9.

Councillor Malcolm Kennedy, Cabinet Member for Regeneration, said: ‘’The response to the council taking control of the city’s markets from stall holders across Liverpool, and the North West, has been quite phenomenal.

‘’We have a plan for how we want to manage, promote and develop the markets and clearly that message has hit home as the phones haven’t stopped ringing since we took over!

‘’Woolton Farmer’s Market has unfortunately been a quiet affair – but not tomorrow. We’re delighted the traders have responded so enthusiastically. It has given a huge boost to the plans we have for the future.’’

Woolton Farmers Market will be selling locally produced hand made goods and meat and veg direct from local farms.

Get down to Woolton Village tomorrow and enjoy locally sourced treats, sea food, cakes, jams, chutney, pies, nuts, olives, organic products, cheese, plants & flowers, art & craft by local artists.

Woolton Farmers Market : 9am-2pm, Saturday, 8 October, Woolton Village, L25 7RG.

http://www.liverpoolexpress.co.uk/ci...-trebles-size/
Paul D no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2016, 10:20 AM   #16
L12Red

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Well either someone has some insider info or clairvoyance skills:

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/whats...ng-st-12016803

Personally I think its a great idea - after working near Manchester Town Hall for the last few years always wondered why Liverpool didnt have a central hub for the Christmas Markets - although I know in Manchester in seems to extended right across the city centre as well from Albert Square through to the Arndale centre\Selfridges end I think this will improve the christmas experience especially with the DreamWorks event on at St Georges hall

mmd_pa liked this post
L12Red no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2016, 11:24 AM   #17
pablo 1878

Quote:
Originally Posted by L12Red View Post
Well either someone has some insider info or clairvoyance skills
Unfortunately neither

They've picked a great location, just hope that a) they create a really good market that's a must see this Christmas, and b) the public like it and use it in sufficient numbers that it's a success.

Between the market and the Shrek / DreamWorks thing that was being talked about at St George's Hall, it should get enough interest.
Old October 13th, 2016, 11:31 AM   #18
L12Red

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Unfortunately neither

They've picked a great location, just hope that a) they create a really good market that's a must see this Christmas, and b) the public like it and use it in sufficient numbers that it's a success.

Between the market and the Shrek / DreamWorks thing that was being talked about at St George's Hall, it should get enough interest.
Yea the only thing is St Georges Hall always seems far away from the shopping area to me - which is mad considering how close to Lime Street & St Johns precint\williamson square but it always feels a bit cut off from me. Although judging by Manchester there is very little by the way of shopping although there are a few bars\restaurants near the town hall but people are drawn to it - although I dont think the stuff for sale is great either!

Silver lass liked this post
L12Red no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2016, 11:38 AM   #19
buggedboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by L12Red View Post
Well either someone has some insider info or clairvoyance skills:

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/whats...ng-st-12016803

Personally I think its a great idea - after working near Manchester Town Hall for the last few years always wondered why Liverpool didnt have a central hub for the Christmas Markets - although I know in Manchester in seems to extended right across the city centre as well from Albert Square through to the Arndale centre\Selfridges end I think this will improve the christmas experience especially with the DreamWorks event on at St Georges hall

I wonder if I can also use my powers of invokation to pray to the church of fodder munching and bring us an Altringham Market style food hall.

leepee25 liked this post
buggedboy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2016, 11:45 AM   #20
leepee25

Likes (Received): 225

Although it is a little out of the way of the shopping areas, the Christmas market will now be one of the first things visitors see when they arrive in the city and exit Lime Street station. What a festive welcome that will be (if done properly). I personally feel that our previous Christmas markets lacked atmosphere and were spread too far apart along Church/Lord Street. This new location will be a major improvement. Roll on November.

aeolian liked this post
leepee25 no está en línea   Reply With Quote