daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Liverpool Metro Area

Liverpool Metro Area 'Scouse Scrapers for both sides of the Mersey

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 25th, 2008, 12:30 AM   #41
Paul D
CENTRAL SCRUTINIZER

Likes (Received): 6731

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard_A View Post
Is there going to be a visitor to the CLF this Saturday? (26th July). I've a friend down here who is going to visit Liverpool for the first time whilst on his way to Scotland. It would add to that vital first impression if something impressive has sailed in.

Maasdam's here.

http://www.simplonpc.co.uk/HAL/Maasdam_01.jpg

http://www.merseyshipping.co.uk/minf...sENGLAND08.htm
Paul D no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 25th, 2008, 12:32 AM   #42
Joe the red

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard_A View Post
Is there going to be a visitor to the CLF this Saturday? (26th July). I've a friend down here who is going to visit Liverpool for the first time whilst on his way to Scotland. It would add to that vital first impression if something impressive has sailed in.
Courtesy of Kat.

26/07/08 Saturday Maasdam Holland-America Line Inc

Gross Tonnage: 55,451 grt.(One registered ton equals 100 cubic feet)

Length: 720 feet

Beam: 101 feet

Maximum speed: 22 knots (maximum)

Ship's Registry: The Netherlands

Passenger capacity: 1,258

Crew: 557
Joe the red no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2008, 12:32 AM   #43
Richard_A

Likes (Received): 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by v4vendetta View Post
At a quite impressive 720 feet the MS Maasdam is here on the 26th July.

Aha - bingo. Cheers!
Richard_A no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2008, 01:19 AM   #44
kennyrouge
blank

Likes (Received): 287

The Maasdam berths at 08.00 and departs at 05.00 the next morning according to this http://www.cruiseweb.com/HAL-NORTHERNEUROPE-06.HTM 05.00 with PM after it! . I had another link which i cant locate which did say 17.00 departure
kennyrouge no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2008, 04:13 PM   #45
woody
Liverpool + Urmston

Likes (Received): 2023

Post number one updated 26 -7-08.
Old July 30th, 2008, 08:57 PM   #46
woody
Liverpool + Urmston

Arrow Archive updated..............

Post Number One updated 29th. July 08
Old August 22nd, 2008, 09:54 PM   #47
woody
Liverpool + Urmston

Archive Update

Post Number One, updated 22 August 08
Old August 22nd, 2008, 10:41 PM   #48
kennyrouge
blank

Old August 22nd, 2008, 10:47 PM   #49
Joe the red

Likes (Received): 4

Love the first one Ken.

I couldn't get down there today. You've bailed us out. I thought we were going to be in Woody's bad books.
Joe the red no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2008, 11:09 PM   #50
woody
Liverpool + Urmston

Let me down , never, yet again this baby gets the photo treatment she deserves, great shots Kenny.
Old August 23rd, 2008, 02:51 PM   #51
bluesnapper

Likes (Received): 1607

According to todays Daily Post the bigger sister ship to the Grand Princess (above), the Crown Princess (below) is scheduled to visit Liverpool next year.

bluesnapper no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2008, 03:03 PM   #52
T0M
Scousish

Likes (Received): 1

Damn you Kenny... sneaking around before me and nicking my shots!

This was the first time I'd properly seen a cruise liner docked at the CLF, and it really does take your breath away. I thought how glad I was that I'll be able to bring my little lad down here as he grows up and wow him with the size of these beauties. There's something magical and mysterious about them. I love the fact that he's going to grow up in port town, thinking about our close connection with the sea.

T0M no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2008, 06:15 PM   #53
kennyrouge
blank

Nice shots Tom, agree with what you say Tom,ive noticed lots of dads down there with their kids 'look at the size of that dad' and 'can we go on it ' seem to be the most popular sayings .Yesterday when the Grand Princess was leaving the ship was playing 'The leaving of Liverpool' by the dubliners if i'm not mistaken, it was a great moment and it brought a tear to my eye if i'm honest, it just made me think of the millions of people that had left Liverpool in the same manner, a good ending to a good day
Old August 23rd, 2008, 11:10 PM   #54
kat2

Likes (Received): 84

Lovely photographs Kenny & Tom
when i see a beautifull ship like that i tend to think lucky bsds going to some far off tropical place ! *lol*
kat
kat2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2008, 01:15 AM   #55
T0M
Scousish

Likes (Received): 1

Gives you an idea of the scale of the thing!

T0M no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2008, 01:00 PM   #56
thudbucket
Onward and Upward

Likes (Received): 2

Future for Liner Stage

I realise this is probably day-dreaming, but when I've been down to see the cruise liners, it seems a shame that it's not possible to embark and disembark passengers from the stage. I believe this is due to lack of baggage handling and custom/immigration facilities, so why should this hold us back?

A modified New World Square development could provide a solution, although it would require some excavation on Princes Dock, where the IOM portakabins are now. In this way, a hotel could be provided with embarcation/disembarcation facilites at a lower level, with customs and immigration facilities; it would need to be at a lower level to provide direct connection with the stage. Above this, a hotel (what better location than the waterfront, with a captive customer base from the liner stage) which would need to four star to cater for cruise liner passengers, bars, restaurants, maybe forming a bridge over the canal link. Apartments are a maybe, considering the state of the market and just how many there are in Princes Dock already.

Okay, the engineering problems might be difficult, but not insurmountable. It just needs the will (and the money) but the Council should be behind this if the liner stage is not to become a very expensive berthing point. All comments would be very welcome!

Last edited by thudbucket; September 2nd, 2008 at 01:02 PM. Reason: Spellcheck!
thudbucket no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2008, 01:08 PM   #57
buggedboy

Likes (Received): 3038

Peel have plans for such a facility, but there were mutterings about getting this facility up to spec to become an departure/arrival point by 2010/11. Not sure if anything happened after the initial sentiment was expressed. Maybe email the Culture Company. They deal with cruise type stuff.

Speak to [email protected]#

She is the Cruise Manager so should be in the loop with these things.

Remember to post any reply!
buggedboy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2008, 01:26 PM   #58
thudbucket
Onward and Upward

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggedboy View Post
Peel have plans for such a facility, but there were mutterings about getting this facility up to spec to become an departure/arrival point by 2010/11. Not sure if anything happened after the initial sentiment was expressed. Maybe email the Culture Company. They deal with cruise type stuff.

Speak to [email protected]#

She is the Cruise Manager so should be in the loop with these things.

Remember to post any reply!
Thanks for that, BuggedBoy - I've emailed the wonderfully-named Angie, obviously I'll post any repy.
thudbucket no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2008, 10:55 PM   #59
sloyne
Help find Madeleine

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by thudbucket View Post
I realise this is probably day-dreaming, but when I've been down to see the cruise liners, it seems a shame that it's not possible to embark and disembark passengers from the stage. I believe this is due to lack of baggage handling and custom/immigration facilities, so why should this hold us back?
Modern day cruise ships "turnaround" in twelve hours. This means mind boggling logistics of loading and unloading up to 4,000 pax and their baggage, thousands of tons of food and thousands of sundry other items. A separate quay area is needed for the victualing of the ship and passengers must be segregated form this operation. The present day landing stage is totally inadequate for anything other than cruise ship visits. Even in the heyday of passenger liners at the Princes Landing Stage ocean liners were provisioned while in dock and before they came alongside the stage. Passengers would board the vessels along an elevated gangway from the quayside and Riverside Station to the ship which would bridge the landing stage and any of the baggage loading level. The Princes Landing Stage was very wide, as well as long, and the only trucks I ever remember coming alongside were Royal Mail vans.

The proposed (by Peel) cruise terminal will be extra wide in order for trucks provisioning the ships to maneuver on the stage it's self and passengers will be segregated by boarding the vessels, through elevated gangways, onto higher decks.

Another thing that may interest people on this forum. With passenger loads in the twenty-five hundred to four-thousand mark and climbing ever higher, cruise ships cannot prepare and cook, on board, all the food required. This being a given lots of food, not unlike aircraft food, is pre-prepared ashore, brought aboard in frozen and dried form and thawed and hydrated aboard. Also fresh fruit and vegetables, bottled drinks, not to mention wines, beers and soda pop in astronomical numbers must be boarded. This requires facilities ashore and on a scale comparable to airline catering at major airports. The central docks have enough space to house these facilities and when/if built will provide much needed employment for Merseysiders.

We can only hope that Peel's plans come to fruition.
Old September 2nd, 2008, 11:03 PM   #60
Bay City
In the brig

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by sloyne View Post
The central docks have enough space to house these facilities and when/if built will provide much needed employment for Merseysiders.
Central docks are a World Heritage Site and will be not be a shed warehouse preparing food. That will be done elsewhere.

Only a fools destroy such natural assets.
Bay City no está en línea   Reply With Quote