search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > General Developments and Discussions

General Developments and Discussions » Bridges | Cycling | Maritime

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 9th, 2016, 06:22 AM   #561
absolution98

Likes (Received): 157

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gert1985 View Post
I think Singapore but Japan is also good and clean.
I feel Japan is cleaner than Singapore.
absolution98 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 9th, 2016, 03:48 PM   #562
erbse
LIBERTINED

Likes (Received): 53447

German speaking countries, Scandinavia and Japan are the cleanest from what I've seen.
Poland improved quite a lot as well in recent years.

Tradition doesn't mean to look after the ash, but to keep the flame alive!

Marco Polo liked this post
erbse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2016, 05:17 PM   #563
NYCrulz
America started it all !!

Likes (Received): 2104

Guys, just shoot me if I was lying. Finland should make it to top 5 in a heartbeat. No second thoughts about that.
Only trash i ever find anywhere would be at the bus stops around the trash boxes where people wait for the bus smoking esp, the young ones who just throw the stub ends around that corner. If you find any trash anywhere else, it is probably just a dream.

PS: Yes, i have been to Japan and I did not find any of that either.
NYCrulz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2016, 11:47 AM   #564
Atif Islam

Likes (Received): 57

Gulf is clean but not green....
Atif Islam no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2016, 07:13 AM   #565
Marco Polo

Quote:
Originally Posted by erbse View Post
German speaking countries, Scandinavia and Japan are the cleanest from what I've seen.
Poland improved quite a lot as well in recent years.

Totally agree.
Marco Polo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2016, 12:38 AM   #566
alexandrite

Likes (Received): 3

Singapore
alexandrite no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2016, 01:35 AM   #567
Turbosnail

Likes (Received): 221

Depends if this refers to built up areas or countries as a whole.

By landmass, I would say either Russia, Australia or Canada due to the sheer size of largely untouched hinterlands. However I wouldn't imagine the cities in either of these countries would be particularly clean as they are very populous, although I imagine Canadian cities to be fairly clean.

If we are including Kingdoms, I'd say Denmark because of the size of Greenland which is largely just ice.

In terms of urban cleanliness and the amount of waste per capita, I think as many have said, Scandinavian countries, Japan, Singapore or New Zealand.

Marco Polo liked this post
Turbosnail no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2017, 03:22 AM   #568
tenderforever
strolling

Likes (Received): 10

japan makes european countries (including nordic) and canada/australia look like third world slums. singapore is clean, but it's only a city and not an entire country like japan, so it loses simply based on scope. japanese never litter, they're trained from early life never to do it. there are no trash cans because of terrorism fears? no problem, japanese carry trash in their pockets/briefcases/purses/knapsacks. it's unreal. if a japanese smokes, he puts the cigarette ashes and ends into a small enclosed ashtray thing he carries in his pockets. you'll virtually never see a japanese litter, and if you do (accident, foreigner, too drunk) then someone comes to tidy the mess very quickly.

you walk in a forest or park, it is perfectly maintained. but not in the chinese way, with an army of park staff (because so many parks in china cost money to enter). in japan, the people will simply never soil a park. and it's not in a western way, like here in san francisco, where we tidy our trash after a picnic, drop it in the trash can. they fundamentally would never think of generating trash that they could not carry away with them.

japan: the cleanest country in the world.

TimFromBish liked this post
tenderforever no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2017, 10:14 AM   #569
absolution98

Likes (Received): 157

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbosnail View Post
Depends if this refers to built up areas or countries as a whole.

By landmass, I would say either Russia, Australia or Canada due to the sheer size of largely untouched hinterlands. However I wouldn't imagine the cities in either of these countries would be particularly clean as they are very populous, although I imagine Canadian cities to be fairly clean.

If we are including Kingdoms, I'd say Denmark because of the size of Greenland which is largely just ice.

In terms of urban cleanliness and the amount of waste per capita, I think as many have said, Scandinavian countries, Japan, Singapore or New Zealand.
Toronto isn't that clean.In fact compare to NY.Toronto seems dirtier compare to NY.In their respective central area,Toronto has more trash,more poorly maintained building than NY.The stereotype NY is dirty comes from the 70's which is the dark era for NY where times square is filled with illegal business and crime rate went up.Nowadays,it has improved a lot.Still not as clean as London tho.

Japan is still the cleanest Asian countries that I've come across so far.Well I have to give them more credit as they're cleaner than Australia,Canada and US despite being highly populated and dense packed.
Singapore comes second only because of their strict government fine if you're caught littering.South Korea is also a lot like Japan so you'll be pleased with SK.
I don't need to tell about Hong Kong because it's nowhere near clean.

In Europe,Switzerland seems to be the cleanest I've come across so far in the western world.Sweden comes a close second.Iceland is said to be clean but it's kind of a cheat since Iceland has less than 1/2 a million population.

In the whole world though,Japan and Switzerland takes the cake as the cleanest.
absolution98 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2017, 07:27 PM   #570
الاقتصاد الكلى ا

Likes (Received): 2

No Western country is as clean, neat, tidy, organized as Singapore though Singapore is getting dirtier and messier with greater influx of unruly new immigrants and uncontrolled littering and poorer upkeep as days go by.

Japan is the cleanest, neatest, tidiest, most convenient country in the world.
Old January 4th, 2017, 08:09 PM   #571
Chardonneret

Likes (Received): 2443

Quote:
Originally Posted by absolution98 View Post
Toronto isn't that clean.In fact compare to NY.Toronto seems dirtier compare to NY.In their respective central area,Toronto has more trash,more poorly maintained building than NY.The stereotype NY is dirty comes from the 70's which is the dark era for NY where times square is filled with illegal business and crime rate went up.Nowadays,it has improved a lot.Still not as clean as London tho.

Japan is still the cleanest Asian countries that I've come across so far.Well I have to give them more credit as they're cleaner than Australia,Canada and US despite being highly populated and dense packed.
Singapore comes second only because of their strict government fine if you're caught littering.South Korea is also a lot like Japan so you'll be pleased with SK.
I don't need to tell about Hong Kong because it's nowhere near clean.

In Europe,Switzerland seems to be the cleanest I've come across so far in the western world.Sweden comes a close second.Iceland is said to be clean but it's kind of a cheat since Iceland has less than 1/2 a million population.

In the whole world though,Japan and Switzerland takes the cake as the cleanest.
I was in Geneva recently, it's not cleaner than the French cities.
Old January 4th, 2017, 10:45 PM   #572
EdgeCity

Likes (Received): 1

Considering the population density, The Netherlands and Japan are extremely clean. Germany, Swiss, Austria, The Scandinavian countries etc are really tidy also.
EdgeCity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2017, 10:27 AM   #573
ajitha12

Likes (Received): 0

I thing cleanest country is singapore.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
ajitha12 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2017, 01:17 PM   #574
FabriFlorence

Likes (Received): 287

Japan is a very clean country.
FabriFlorence no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2017, 02:54 AM   #575
markzobel002

Likes (Received): 0

In Asia I would say the cleanest country is Japan. People are very well discipline and everywhere you go it's so clean and the air is so fresh.
markzobel002 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2017, 03:05 PM   #576
Faiyez

Likes (Received): 4

As impressive as Tokyo is, I did see some neglected trash here and there. It was quite shocking, actually, given what I knew of their reputation.

Tokyo also smells very funny (Has anybody else noticed this). Tokyo air seems to have a particularly heavy, burnt smell with ever-pervasive tint of soy sauce.

The very first time I stepped outside of Shinjuku Station straight from the airport, my eyes were stinging so bad from the air (I live in a 1.5 million city). I quickly adapted, though.
Faiyez no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2017, 07:48 PM   #577
floor23

Likes (Received): 190

I've traveled all over the world and I'd say Japan is the cleanest country. European countries don't even come close.

As people have mentioned on this thread earlier, Singapore is also clean, however i'd say its unfair to compare a city state to a whole country.

I remember a few years ago using a bathroom at a Tokyo subway station and it was spotless. Most people would avoid transit stations bathrooms unless they had to desperately go.

Tokyo does have some air pollution in the summer, but its one of the largest cities in the world and other cities comparable in size have far worse pollution. Every time I visit Japan I'm amazed at the cleanliness.
floor23 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2017, 11:32 AM   #578
NordikNerd
Rail & Road traveller

Likes (Received): 1302

Quote:
Originally Posted by markzobel002 View Post
In Asia I would say the cleanest country is Japan. People are very well discipline and everywhere you go it's so clean and the air is so fresh.
The air is fresh in Japan, but people wear protective masks

NordikNerd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2017, 03:09 PM   #579
Faiyez

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by NordikNerd View Post
The air is fresh in Japan, but people wear protective masks
Given what I've seen, in Japan it's more likely that someone wears them to hide a pimple, rather than out of concern for polluted air.
Faiyez no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2017, 06:55 PM   #580
ukiyo
モデレーター

Likes (Received): 8241

We wear masks when sick to not give others germs, or during flu season so we ourselves don't get sick. Japan is very dense and we are in close contact with people all the time so it's just protection. It has nothing to do with any air pollution that's for sure.

please stop by!

浮世
ukiyo no está en línea   Reply With Quote