daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > North East England > Newcastle Metro Area

Newcastle Metro Area For Newcastle, N Tyneside, Gateshead, S Tyneside, South Northumberland

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 24th, 2015, 06:21 PM   #561
Steve Ellwood

Likes (Received): 1574

Featherstone Bridge

These images taken on 24th July 2015 of what remains of the former footbridge crossing the River South Tyne at Featherstone.

This is what the footbridge used to look like, courtesy of the Bridges of the Tyne web site @ http://www.bridgesonthetyne.co.uk/index.html

This is how it looked like in July 2015 - I haven't been able to find out what has destroyed the bridge, anyone know?

Images hosted on http://GeordiePhotographs.fototime.c...stone/Temp%204

About Featherstone - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Feather...Northumberland

Steve Ellwood

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Newcastle Historian; May 13th, 2015 at 09:46 AM. Reason: For 'Indexing' purposes
Steve Ellwood no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old April 24th, 2015, 07:51 PM   #562
David Aspinall

Likes (Received): 6

Sledge hammers happened to it. Last summer by the look of it. Perhaps it was the keepers who did the work. That's their style. There's a grey/red squirrel interface around there that's not relevant. The south tyne is a bastion for red and the greys are entering from the north. There was someone trapping them eight-nine years ago around the castle's pond, near to the railway line. Tomlinson's Guide To Northumberland has a good account of the castle ghost - the Grey Lady.
David Aspinall no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2015, 07:58 PM   #563
Steve Ellwood

Featherstone Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aspinall View Post
Sledge hammers happened to it. Last summer by the look of it. Perhaps it was the keepers who did the work. That's their style. There's a grey/red squirrel interface around there that's not relevant. The south tyne is a bastion for red and the greys are entering from the north. There was someone trapping them eight-nine years ago around the castle's pond, near to the railway line. Tomlinson's Guide To Northumberland has a good account of the castle ghost - the Grey Lady.
Do you have a reference for that?, the reason I ask is because someone contacted me following my posting to say that the damage was caused by floods in 2013.

Steve Ellwood

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old April 24th, 2015, 10:30 PM   #564
David Aspinall

Well, yes. The flood will have damaged the bridge, which was then cleaned up by someone with a sledgehammer. The roughness of the hacking suggests it was not done by a professional builder but by someone less skilled. I know the gamekeepers are active in the area and that is what their stonework looks like. My comments are speculation but based on first hand knowledge. Not everything is written down. For a while I lived in a cottage near there. I know the estate fairly well. Try and find a picture of the wooden stock bridge that crossed the railway line a little to the north of Featherstone Halt station. That was an interesting bridge ...
Old April 25th, 2015, 12:33 AM   #565
cunfaro

Likes (Received): 0

Are there stepping stones over the Tyne at any point in its course?
cunfaro no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2015, 09:55 AM   #566
Steve Ellwood

Featherstone Footbridge

Quote:
Well, yes. The flood will have damaged the bridge, which was then cleaned up by someone with a sledgehammer. The roughness of the hacking suggests it was not done by a professional builder but by someone less skilled. I know the gamekeepers are active in the area and that is what their stonework looks like. My comments are speculation but based on first hand knowledge. Not everything is written down. For a while I lived in a cottage near there. I know the estate fairly well. Try and find a picture of the wooden stock bridge that crossed the railway line a little to the north of Featherstone Halt station. That was an interesting bridge ...
Well I did think it strange that you seemed to be indicating that the footbridge was destroyed in an attempt to prevent it being used by squirrels, especially when the Featherstone road bridge is just a matter of yards away.

I think I'll stick with the flood damage theory as I see from the Internet that Eals Footbridge was also damaged in the floods of 2013.

The damage that can be seen on the bridge piers at Featherstone were probably as a result of making the bridge stable, i.e. removing damaged parts - that is of course my speculation

Steve Ellwood

Old April 25th, 2015, 10:52 AM   #567
Steve Ellwood

Stepping Stones - Tyne

Quote:
Originally Posted by cunfaro View Post
Are there stepping stones over the Tyne at any point in its course?
I've recently travelled extensively on the courses of the North, South and River Tyne and not come across any. Plenty of bridges but cannot say I came across any stepping stones.

Steve Ellwood

cunfaro liked this post
Old April 25th, 2015, 10:55 AM   #568
battlefieldjohn
Idle waster.

Likes (Received): 100

I understand you used to be able to ford the Tyne (before dredging took place) at low tide around the St. Peters area, I wonder if there were stepping stones there?
battlefieldjohn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2015, 11:39 AM   #569
David Aspinall

Hardly anyone used the footbridge at Featherstone otherwise there'd be a campaign to have it repaired/reinstated. There's an interesting bridge over a tributary of the Tyne at 54N52 10'0 2W30 41'1 . Formerly maintained by British Railways it is beside the Knar Burn Viaduct (which is another lost masterpiece of railway engineering). (Please q.v. http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/3343431 ). I make the Knar Burn Footbridge as steel framed, with concrete paving, and it's now maintained by the county, as it carries a public footpath and the Pennine Way. There's yet another two bridges over that same tributary, a rickety steel and concrete small thing, by the farmhouse, and a superb stone road bridge, at the end of the road from Slaggyford. That bridge is mostly maintained by the county with the snowplough ordered to just keep the road clear to the midway point! I have no pictures of any of these bridges! It's likely that a ramblers' website will have images of Knar Burn Bridge and there may also be recollections of the Red squirrel nearby. The keepers don't have anything to do with squirrels - probably the closest they get is ferrets!

Last edited by David Aspinall; April 25th, 2015 at 11:47 AM.
Old April 30th, 2015, 09:46 AM   #570
Steve Ellwood

Tyneside's QEII Metro Bridge - vital for the region's transport since 1980

Courtesy of the Chronicle Live, copyright NCJMedia Ltd @ http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/...idge---9142948
Tyneside's QEII Metro Bridge - vital for the region's transport since 1980
19:54, 29 April 2015 By David Morton

It is perhaps one of the less famous of the River Tyne’s iconic bridges, but it has been vital to the region’s transport system for more than three decades.

Built in the mid-1970s, the QEII Metro bridge was the most vital engineering solution in the long awaited development of Metro. It was an historic project, connecting Newcastle and Gateshead with a light railway system, which became the envy of other cities.

The QEII bridge, the sixth across the Tyne, was officially named by Her Majesty the Queen on November 6, 1981, as part of the official Royal opening of the Metro system. The Royal opening was part of a three-week transport festival on Tyneside, designed to encourage people to try the Metro.

There was a huge fireworks display, a transport treasure trail, competitions - including one with a first prize of a Spanish holiday - a balloon race, a public transport cavalcade and exhibition, specially commissioned souvenirs and cheap fares.

Phil Richardson worked in the accounts department for the Tyne and Wear PTE when the bridge was opened. He said: “I’d joined straight from school in 1980. I was allowed to watch the Queen opening the new Metro Bridge. We had to get there through a dilapidated old warehouse, but the Queen came on the Metro from Haymarket, where she’d performed the official opening ceremony for the whole system, so everything must have looked pristine to her eyes. She certainly didn’t get muddy! They built a structure like a small greenhouse beside the track and the dignitaries stood there to watch the Queen cut the ribbon.”

Read more and see image gallery @ http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/...idge---9142948

Some of the previous discussion son the opening of the bridge on the forum:

These images taken in May 2014:

Images hosted on http://www.fototime.com/52D5E65D92F98CB/orig.jpg

Steve Ellwood

Old May 3rd, 2015, 08:14 PM   #571
Steve Ellwood

A69 Road Brdige (East) - Haltwhistle

Crossing the South Tyne is the A69 road bridge - this is the one at the east which was built in 1994.

Images taken 24th July 2014:

Images hosted on www.steve-ellwood.org.uk

Steve Ellwood

Last edited by Newcastle Historian; May 13th, 2015 at 11:24 AM. Reason: Added further image
Old May 5th, 2015, 08:25 PM   #572
Steve Ellwood

A69 Road Brdige (West) - Haltwhistle

This is the road bridge to the west of Haltwhistle - built 1997 as part of the towns bypass.

Images hosted on http://www.fototime.com/DBB50EB101CB3D7/orig.jpg

Steve Ellwood

Last edited by Newcastle Historian; May 13th, 2015 at 11:23 AM.
Old May 9th, 2015, 08:50 PM   #573
Steve Ellwood

Haltwhistle Tyne Bridge

These images of Haltwhistle Tyne Bridge taken 24th July 2014.

Crossing the River South Tyne the bridge is now pedestrianised but at one time did take traffic across three arches. Known locally as The Blue Bridge,. although it is now painted green!

Grade II Listed, this is the protection text courtesy of the British Listed Buildings web site @ http://www.britishlistedbuildings.co...-#.VU4M2pPIbW8

Description: Haltwhistle Tyne Bridge

Grade: II
Date Listed: 27 July 1987
English Heritage Building ID: 240736

OS Grid Reference: NY7054063755
OS Grid Coordinates: 370540, 563755
Latitude/Longitude: 54.9675, -2.4617

Locality: Haltwhistle
County: Northumberland
Postcode: NE49 9HN

HALTWHISTLE A69 (T)
NY 76 SW
(South side, off)
16/3 Haltwhistle Tyne Bridge
II

Road bridge (now pedestrian only) over River South Tyne. 1875, designed by G.G. Page and built by Stansfield and Son (see inscription on inner west face of north end abutment). Wrought-iron arches and cast-iron parapet, brick piers and dressed stone end abutments. 3 wide and low segmental arches with cross-bracing in spandrels. Arches supported on rock-faced end abutments and 2 pairs of tapering cylindrical piers. Semi-octagonal stone stages above piers, flanking roadway. Rising curved parapets with pierced quatrefoils and moulded handrails.

Listing NGR: NY7054063755

Images hosted on http://GeordiePhotographs.fototime.com/Haltwhistle

Steve Ellwood

Old May 9th, 2015, 11:16 PM   #574
David Aspinall

This one's known locally simply as town bridge.
Old May 10th, 2015, 10:33 AM   #575
Steve Ellwood

Quote:
This one's known locally simply as town bridge.
Which one?

Steve Ellwood

Tags
bridges, historic newcastle, historic north east eng, history, millennium bridge, newcastle, newcastle transport, river tyne