SkyscraperCity Forum banner

Bicolano Literary Works and Linguistics

156K views 176 replies 34 participants last post by  Particle 1 
#1 ·
Wikipedia just cited that Bikol is one of the most diverse language in the world. From town to town to a city, a different dialect is being spoken. If you have just stopped by at Matnog, Sorsogon, the dialect being spoken is mixed Sorsoganon - Waray. Travel north to Sorsogon city and you'll hear pure Sorsoganon. Travel further to reach Daraga, another dialect is spoken there. Just 5 kilometers to the east, in Legazpi city, you'd notice that there's a transition in the people's native tongue. Further north, in Tabaco, people sound somewhat different once again. In southern Camarines Sur, in Iriga city, they have this dialect they call as 'Rinconada.' Further north to Naga city, you'll actually hear the Bikol central dialect. 100 kilometers to the north, in Daet, Camarines Norte, you'd learn that some folks are now speaking in Tagalog. Exit yourself at Sta. Elena, pure Tagalog is now being used w/ some Bikol intonation. Travel back to Bikol, in Masbate, you'd discover that the dialect they use is very close to Bisaya with mixture of Ilonggo and Cebuano. Traverse around the coasts of Sorsogon, Albay and Camarines Sur while visitting Catanduanes would make you hear another Bikol dialect.

To point out the differences in Bikol Daraga and Bikol Legazpi, here is a list of their differences:

English = Bicol Daraga = Bicol Legazpi

one = usad = saro
two = duwa = duwa
three = tulo = tolo
four = upat = apat
five = lima = lima
six = unom = anom
seven = pito = pito
eight = walo = walo
nine = syam = syam
ten = sampolo = sampulo

morning = bwas = aga
noon = mudto = ugto
afternoon = apon = hapon
night = ga'bi = bang-gi
tomorrow = kidamlag = sa aga
later = dyan-dyan or adyan = taod-taod
yesterday morning = kahapon = kasu aga
yesterday afternoon = kahapon = kasu hapon
yesterday night = ka-ga'bi = kasu bang-gi
last week = kang usad na semana = kasu nakaaging semana
day = aldaw? = aldaw

This thread is intended for us Bikolanos to talk about our dialects... I think this will be really fun... heheh... How versed are we? What are the deep Bikolano terms you know of? Let's discuss it here!

See less See more
#3 ·
There are several sub-dialects including :

• Bikol Rinconada (Iriga-Buhi area),
  • Bikol Albay (Albay Province)
  • Bikol Sorsogon (Sorsogon)
  • Bikol Catanduanes
  • Bikol Partido (municipalities surrounding Lagonoy Gulf)

The common Bikol is Bikol Naga, and is generally understood by other Bikol speakers.

The Bisakol varieties, while spoken in Bicol, are not Bikol languages, but are instead Visayan languages spoken in Bikol.

The Bicol is also home to other languages. Tagalog, for example, is spoken in most of Camarines Norte and in the town of Del Gallego, Camarines Sur. Hiligaynon is spoken in the southwestern Masbate towns of Balud and Mandaon while Cebuano is spoken in the southeastern Masbate towns of Placer, Cataingan, Pio V. Corpuz, and Esperanza.

Sources:Wiki...

In the 70's and 80's, our little town in Minalabac, Camarines Sur are learning Tagalog in their public schools. That's why my friends who went on vacation with us, find it easy to communicate with the Bikolanos using Tagalog.

And Welcome to Uragon Country. :lol:

#5 ·
I think Bikol Albay has to be segregated. it is quite obvious that the western towns and the eastern ones are different to each other. this is probably the reason why Daraga and Legazpi have 2 distinct dialects from one another. while Daraga's is similar to the western towns, legazpi's is closer to the eastern ones.

#13 ·
^^ Your paternal grandfather's side could speak a variety of Bicolano sub-languages, actually. The ones from CamSur could speak Bicol-Naga or Bicol-Central (the most understood and the standard Bicol sub-language; spoken in and around Naga City), Bicol-Rinconada (spoken in and around Iriga City and in the CamSur-Albay boundary) and Bicol-Partido (spoken in the Partido Area, particulary the municipalities surrounding the Lagonoy Gulf or the municipalities in the Caramoan peninsula). The ones from Albay could speak Bicol-Coastal (spoken in and around Legazpi City but still a great variety is prevalent especially if you go into Daraga town, which is just adjacent the city).

Your paternal grandmother's side speaks Bisakol, the langauge spoken in Masbate, Ticao, Burias and other outlying Bicolano islands just south of the peninsula. The language is actually a mix of Bisaya and Bikol; thus, the name Bisakol.

Where was your mom born in? It's quite surprising that, though your mom was born in CamSur, she can't/doesn't speak in the language. Was she raised outside Bicol? Or even CamSur?

BTW, we speak in English or Tagalog for everyone to understand us. Otherwise, only Bicolano speakers can exchange ideas, not giving the chance for non-Bicolano speakers to mix in and understand how diverse really our language is.

-----

BTW, Bicol in Sorsogon is somewhat a mixture of Bicolano, Bisaya and Castillian languages.

#11 ·
Hahaha, I have to spend sometime in Bikol to get my dialect straighten up. During summer vacations when I was still in high school are the days when I can speak Bikol(Naga) fluently, but most of the time, meron mix Tagalog, minsan, Ingles pag hindi makuha sa Tagalog. :lol:
Kasi when the relatives from Bikol come visit us in Manila, puro Tagalog ang salita, except when my great-grandparents were still alive, they speak Castilaloy mixed in with Bikol(or the other way around), especially when it was time to say some prayers. My Lolo is not fluent in Tagalog but when he sings Tagalog songs he was good at it.

#12 ·
relatives from my paternal grandfather's side come from Albay and Camarines Sur. What languages do they speak.

relatives from my paternal grandmother's side come from masbate and ticao island. what languages do they speak?

#19 ·
bicolanos in the sorsogon area (specially in matnog) can speak waray because of the proximity.

actually it's fascinating how the language evolves from cebuano in cebu to cebuano in ormoc to waray in tacloban to waray in catarman to bikolano in sorsogon to bikolano in naga.

the minor dialect changes from the adjacent locales never ceases to amaze me.

there is a constant though, the use of words derived from spanish.

#15 ·
It is different. There are words that are similar in pronounciation and meaning but there are also words with similar pronounciation but opposite/different meaning.

When I hear other Bicol dialects, I have difficulty understanding it. My brain just can't cope... :wallbash: :(

#17 ·
^^ Jose Panganiban area has a lot of Tagalog speakers, mainly it is so close to Quezon. Just like some of my relatives in Gumaca, Quezon Province. Tagalog na may punto but they speak some Bikol(Naga) also, since most of the time, they spend their summers in Naga.

In Sorsogon or Masbate, if the Bikol(Naga) fails in communication with the locals, just use Tagalog. Yung mga burgis lang dun ang pa-ingles ingles o pa-cachi-cachila pa, they know who they are. :lol:

#21 ·
^^ but bikolanos from matnog understand the waray of the people in catarman. aliw, ano?

don't they call cooked rice "loto". I was quite confused the first time loto was offerred to me :)

I take it you're from tacloban. what do you think of the cebuano of the people in maasin ? it's more of a boholano dialect with their hard "j's".

#41 ·
matnog is the drop-off point for waray folks trying to visit Manila. In fact, Matnog is already partly Waray, and partly Bikol.

Allen, on the other hand, is also partly Waray and partly Bikol. Some people from this town even study in Legazpi city particularly Aquinas University.

#22 ·
^^ we call cooked rice "kan-on" and the uncooked one "bugas".

the one from hilogos down to maasin speaks like bol-anons and the one on the opposite side of the island also speaks a bol-anon type of cebuanos might be because of the proximity of two places that speaks with the "j"s instead of the "y". these two places are bohol and surigao.

#23 ·
Numbers in different regions

Tagalog ~ isá dalawá tatló ápat limá ánim pitó waló siyám sampû
Bikol (Naga) ~ saró' duwá tuló apát limá anóm pitó waló siyám sampúlo'
Cebuano ~ usá duhá tulú upát limá unúm pitú walú siyám napúluq
Ilonggo ~ isá duhá tátlu ápata limá ánum pitú walú siyám púluq

Not much of a difference.

A cooked Rice in Bikol dialects/Language :

Sa Legazpi = maluto, sa Polangui = úmoy...pagdating sa Naga panis na.
:lol:

#25 ·
^^ Hahaha, I know what you mean. Nuon pa, mga sisiw pa ang alaga nila but the town seems to take that as a sign of good economy in toroism.:lol:

I've never been back to Polangui since in the 80's Fiesta. Fiesta ata ngayon sa Polangui, until the end of the month also in some parts of Sorsogon. June is really a Fiesta month.

#31 ·
Mostly in the Third District of Albay, including Daraga I guess. :) I think the dialects of Daraga, Camalig, Guinobatan, Pio Duran, and Jovellar, are akin to each other. Ligao and the rest of the 3rd dist. are quite different. Amo?

Lang-konswelo yadtong pinost mo, mond. :eek:kay: :lol:

malutô, umày, umòy, umùy, lutô :lol:

#28 ·
hey guys, this is one story written in Miraya Bikol:

An Guryon

Dati aļe’ salagan su guryon sa usad na saday na garahiyan. Na su magurang na guryon lumupad para maghanap nin makakawn para sa mga ugbon na nawatak na nagasurulo.

Di’ na·ulay su Amang Guryon umabot. Special symbols:

▪ ļ = interdental /l/ (pronounced with the tongue sticking out and not touching the palate)

▪ e = schwa, almost like an open /o/

▪ h = not pronounced (the two vowels on either side becoming almost like a diphthong)

▪ · = historically a glottal stop, but is lost in the Miraya Bikol varieties

▪ ā and ī = long /a/ and /i/ respectively

▪ ’ = glottal stop

“Unong nangyari didi? Sisay nangasanit saynyo, nyanga’ kamo parang natarakot?”

“O Amang Guryon, aļe’ umabot na momo’ kangina pa sana. Malang takot maiseg saka’ nakakakigkig su awong nya. Tinanaw nung nangiseg nyang mata ya’ding sa’teng salagan. Kaya takot na takot kami.

“Areg sadto” sabi ni Amang Guryon. “Sadin sya nag·ādon?”

“Didto sa banda na yadto sya nag·ādon.”

“Maghulat kamo didi” sabi nung amang guryon, susugen ko sya. Di’ kamo maga’dit mga ugbon. Ako an bāla’ sanya. Di nag·ulay lumupad sya para susugen su momo’.

Pagliko’ nya sa kanto, usad na lyon su nata’naw nya na nag·agi didto.

Piro di’ natakot su guryon. Tumugdon sya sa likod nung lyon saka’ nagpōn na kaynguten yadto, “nyanga’ ka nag·ādon sa sa’meng salagan nakatakot lugod sa’ken su mga ugbon?”

Di’ sya tinino nung lyon na nagpadagos sa pag·agi.

Lalong nayngot su guryon saka’ lalong nagparadaldal. “Wara’ kang katungran na bumalik didto, sisabi ko si’mo, nun ka na bumalik didto na kung di’ aļe’ mara·et na mangyayari si’mo. hAbo’ kong gibohen ya’di,” sabi nung guryon, samantāng initās nya su sanyang tīl, “piro babariyan tayka nin tu’lang sa maradaliyan sa minsan na bumalik ka didto!”

Pagkatapos lumupad pabalik su Amang Guryon sa salagan nya.

“O, yadto na mga akes, tinu’ran ko na sya nin liksyon. Di’ na nya kamo gilayon pipirwisyuhen pa.”

-----------------------------------------------

It is very close to the dialect I am speaking w/c is Bikol Daraga. I think the dialect used in Daraga is mostly Miraya Bikol, w/c is spoken in 3rd district Albay. Wikipedia has not disclosed about this one. here's the url of the story above in case you want to hear how the words are spoken: http://www.lowlands-l.net/anniversary/bikol-miraya.php

#34 ·
How come yu know that? :hm: :nocrook:

-----

Mods, can you rename this thread as "Bikol Sub-languages and Dialects"? Hindi lang naman kasi dialects (as in Bicol-Central spoken in Naga, Bicol-Coastal in Legazpi, Bisakol in Masbate City, etc.) pinag-uusapan dito eh, pati sub-languages na may saklaw sa dialects (as in Bicol-Central, Bicol-Coastal, Bisakol, etc.)

#42 ·
well, masbate language sounds like western samarnon waray but definitely the northern samarnon language is a little alien to me. i can't understand much of it. it's really closer to bikolano than waray.

there are already stories of incidents where people from other places went to the market and asked for "sili" and not just ordinary "sili". it's the "malaking sili" (bell pepper) and imagine how they describe a "malaking sili". it's the BIG, RED, FAT and sometimes LONG or "Matulis" at the tip. think about what would be the first image that would register in the mind of naughty people in the market.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.