search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States > Southeast > Local Forums > Tampa Bay Area > Transportation and Infrastructure

Transportation and Infrastructure Discuss mass transit, roads, bridges, airports, water management, etc here.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 11th, 2017, 07:38 AM   #661
Szemeredy
Keeping Things Rolling

Likes (Received): 734

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandmaster B View Post
I ride Route 30 from Westshore to downtown. Why is there no stop on Florida Ave? They chose to send it down Florida but with no stops even though other buses have stops on Florida? Also, I had to find out there was no stop on Florida once I was already on Florida because the Hart website still has the previous downtown map pdf and not the new one for Mission Max. It seems like access to this route has been diminished for everyone working on the east side of downtown. A stop on Florida would make it better and doesn't cost anything.

Another thing that bothers me is that most jobs start at the top of the hour and half past. The new schedule has my bus arriving downtown at about 7:50, which means that if the bus is even a few minutes late (which happens often) I can't make it to the office on time. Previoulsy, it arrived around 7:40 and I was almost never late in almost 3 years. This is just me being picky but I bet the planners never even considered this when making the schedules. I'm currently taking the earlier bus but now I have over 30 minutes to kill before work officially starts.
I want to say the 30 issue is an oversight. I've got an email in with scheduling to get the story behind that one, as they're not on OBA/Google Maps either. I spent a lot of time going through the city after my shifts on Sunday and Monday to map out what bus stops still needed work. This was on the list.

The downtown map issue is known, but HART only has one graphic designer and he's got a *lot* on his plate right now. It's high on the list... trust me.

As for schedule timing, I would recommend emailing your concerns about that to [email protected]. Departures from transit centers are usually designed to facilitate connections. In this case, the 30 is designed to link with the 32 at the airport.

------------------------

Speaking of the airport, we've made some changes to airport service, effective Wednesday 10/11. There is now a dedicated shuttle bus running every 20 mins from 5AM to 1AM between the airport terminal and the rental car stop until SkyConnect opens in the spring. This should help keep HART's airport services a bit more punctual.

Last edited by Szemeredy; October 11th, 2017 at 07:46 AM.
Szemeredy está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 11th, 2017, 02:04 PM   #662
HARTride 2012

Likes (Received): 1968

My fear about the current transit situation is Hillsborough is the grim possibility of enacting a worst-case scenario should 1) The Homestead Exemption ballot initiative pass in November, 2) FDOT and local leaders remain dead set in going along with the toll lanes on the interstates, & 3) the Trump Administration ends all federal support for transit.

#1 is very likely to pass IMO given the many voters who aren't educated properly on the negative impacts on municipalities, plus HART & PSTA, by lowering property taxes.

#2 is becoming increasingly likely due to the current episode of charades happening. It's very clear to me that Rick Scott has zero intent to have FDOT remove the toll lane plan from the interstates and is doing all he can to force residents to give up and accept the toll lane plan as-is, so that he can in-turn get Elaine Chao to give the federal green light as soon as the SEIS and other components are ready to go. If these toll lanes are indeed built as planned, I can see HART being forced to contract out local and Flex services in order to have enough resources on hand to operate the express routes on the interstates. I also would not be surprised if the Tea Party board members use this as a tactic to "rebrand" MetroRapid and put those lines on the interstates. If this happens, then the Nebraska line will eventually be shifted to I-275 and Route 2 will make a comeback.

#3, while still unknown, could still happen. If it does, the scenario will ensure that FDOT calls many of the shots for future funding, and if the pro-Tea Party environment does not change in 2018 and 2020, then I can see HART basically becoming completely privatized.
HARTride 2012 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2017, 02:08 PM   #663
HARTride 2012

A worst-case scenario like this will no doubt in my mind, strip Hillsborough of whatever transit it has left. Only select core routes would be maintained and probably done at reduced levels. Heavier emphasis would be placed on regional services, Flex, and Link, plus vouchers for Uber and Lyft during overnights. TECOline extension will get forced onto the median of I-275 and have ultra low ridership. Everyone else will have no option left to get around.
Old October 11th, 2017, 10:29 PM   #664
Grandmaster B

Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Szemeredy View Post
The downtown map issue is known, but HART only has one graphic designer and he's got a *lot* on his plate right now. It's high on the list... trust me.
If they know the wrong map is on the website then they should remove it even if the new one isn't ready. No map is better than an incorrect map. Also should be an easy, cheap fix.

I understand that Hart lacks funds. But so far my experience with Route 30 is that they have taken a convenient connection to downtown and made it less convenient while using the same amount of resources. For example, I work in the County Center. Lots of us use the 30, and the nearest stop for us after work is all the way next to the river. It seems more logical for the route to pass through the center of downtown instead of the western edge. Marion Street accomplished that with the added bonus of having shelters.

Judging by the reaction by the public, I predict that ridership is going to drop drastically systemwide. Lots of people in my office that have taken the bus for years are now driving due to cut routes, etc. I've been one the the buses biggest cheerleaders, often making friends take it with me to events downtown over their objections, and even I'm considering driving once the summer rains return (long walk and no shelter at the stops). If their objective was to finally come out and admit that they are running a bus system that only serves as a last resort for the poor, consider it mission accomplished.
Grandmaster B no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2017, 11:39 PM   #665
Szemeredy
Keeping Things Rolling

Quote:
If they know the wrong map is on the website then they should remove it even if the new one isn't ready. No map is better than an incorrect map. Also should be an easy, cheap fix.

I understand that Hart lacks funds. But so far my experience with Route 30 is that they have taken a convenient connection to downtown and made it less convenient while using the same amount of resources. For example, I work in the County Center. Lots of us use the 30, and the nearest stop for us after work is all the way next to the river. It seems more logical for the route to pass through the center of downtown instead of the western edge. Marion Street accomplished that with the added bonus of having shelters.

Judging by the reaction by the public, I predict that ridership is going to drop drastically systemwide. Lots of people in my office that have taken the bus for years are now driving due to cut routes, etc. I've been one the the buses biggest cheerleaders, often making friends take it with me to events downtown over their objections, and even I'm considering driving once the summer rains return (long walk and no shelter at the stops). If their objective was to finally come out and admit that they are running a bus system that only serves as a last resort for the poor, consider it mission accomplished.
The Route 30 stop issue was a problem with GTFS. Route 30 stops at Florida/Jackson, Florida/Twiggs and Florida/Polk. These changes will appear on Google/OBA with the next GTFS update.
Old October 12th, 2017, 12:02 AM   #666
Szemeredy
Keeping Things Rolling

Quote:

Route 1, 19 and 30 were moved to a Tampa/Kennedy pattern for two reasons: 1) downtown residents wanted more downtown local bus circulation away from Marion St and 2) all services are being removed from Marion St anyway when the AV pilot begins. The shelter stop issue will be addressed, but the current Marion St shelters are 30 years old and have aged out.

The Route 30 stop issue was a problem with GTFS. Route 30 does have stops at Florida/Jackson, Florida/Twiggs and Florida/Polk. My understanding is that the stop flags were updated with proper numbers today. These changes will appear on Google/OBA with the next GTFS update. I'll get with marketing and see if we can't get some of the overlooked old stuff pulled from the website. Again, HART doesn't exactly have a lot of staff for this kind of thing, and many of our internal staff members from accounting, finance and whatnot have been doing customer service and transit/transfer center outreach this week.

Old October 12th, 2017, 03:22 PM   #667
HARTride 2012

One Mission MAX change that was activated under the radar is a split in Route 19. The main Route 19 operates every 30 minutes on weekdays and hourly on weekends.

The supplementary route is officially assigned as Route 19A and only serves Marion Transit Center and Tampa General Hospital (and all main Route 19 stops in between). Buses depart every 35 minutes seven days a week, from 6:00am to 8:00pm. This route is currently not trackable.

Approximate departure times from Marion Transit Center:

6:00am (first bus)
6:35
7:10
7:45
8:20
8:55
9:30
10:05
10:40
11:15
11:50
12:25pm
1:00
1:35
2:10
2:45
3:20
3:55
4:30
5:05
5:40
6:15
6:50
7:25
8:00 (last bus)
Old October 15th, 2017, 11:37 AM   #668
HARTride 2012

I saw on the OneBusAway app that the 30 & 32 are no longer going into the TPA Airport terminal and that there is a shuttle that connects between the terminal and the CONRAC stop, running every 20 minutes. While I'm not liking this setup, I can only guess that the airport is paying for the shuttle. What have you heard about this Mike?