search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Asian Forums > India > Metropolitan Projects > Kolkata

Kolkata Project news for Kolkata Metropolitan Region - Kolkata, Howrah, Bidhan Nagar (Salt Lake), Nabadiganta (Sector V), New Town, Kalyani

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 16th, 2017, 07:31 AM   #9781
ayan92
Inspired By Myself...

Likes (Received): 898

Quote:
Originally Posted by RONGHOSH77 View Post
Let those hills be separated. Any way they ARE different in language and culture.
It will still be in this country.
Pardon me brother, but had difference in culture and language been the only parameter for formation of new states, then at least 10 more new states will have to crop up all over. And formation of one Gorkhaland shall only trigger such a mishap. With subsequent effect will follow widespread protests and demands for new states like Bodoland or even Tipraland, bifurcating states that are already too small for their size.

For instance, in a relatively larger Karnataka too, there are different regions with varying cultures and linguistics. Apart from Kannada speaking people (who by themselves are quite diverse in terms of language or culture from district to district/region to region, yet strong), there are a lot people dwelling across districts who speak a different tongue. But does that mean Karnataka will have to break up just to satisfy that culture and language criteria? Ever heard of the demand for Tulu Nadu? Should one district Belagavi be made into a new state (like Darjeeling) or be added into Maharashtra just because the majority folk there speak Marathi?

Agreed administration would be easier with smaller areas within, but that's the liability of the administration to buck up, and that's why they are nominated/voted to those seats of power. It is their responsibility to manage such peoples with diversities.

Nepali-speaking people from districts in Northern Bengal are never in loss of identity within Bengal. It's only the places outside Bengal, particularly bigger cities like Delhi or Bengaluru where such people (from north-eastern regions of our country) are often more than not taunted and teased for different appearances. I myself have witnessed people from NE states being abused with offensive terms/names, or stated to be hailing from one neighboring nation. People (from such advanced & educated cities) end up taunting them furthermore when these people say they hail from West Bengal, and the only things that the half-witted buggers have in their heads once the hear Bengal are roshogulla, silly Bengali accent, loose dresses, jhola around one's back, and not to mention the God damn ami tumako bhalobashi crap! Not are they outrageously embarrassing for Bengalis too, but it also eventually ends up creating that sense of "loss of identity" among those people from Darjeeling side. True Story.

And if that's not convincing enough, the person whose family your condolences went out to, himself can be quoted... "I will not allow Bengal to be divided" (source), hope that should bring solace to that 'Divide and Let Go' mindset among many out there.

Sponsored Links
Old October 18th, 2017, 12:16 PM   #9782
Wonderbank
invino veritas carpe diem

Likes (Received): 6397

For the MamBa lovers who bloat on her skilled & opportunistically played sympathy card

Here is what Pranab Mukherjee said about ‘rebel’ Mamata Banejee

Former President Pranab Mukherjee has described Mamata Banerjee as a "born rebel" and recalled how she once stormed out of a meeting, leaving him feeling "humiliated and insulted".
Noting that there was an aura about her which was "difficult to explain but impossible to ignore", Mukherjee said in his new book 'The Coalition Years' that she had built her career fearlessly and aggressively and was the "outcome of her own struggle".
"Mamata Banerjee is a born rebel," he wrote, adding that nothing illustrated this trait better than an episode in the West Bengal Congress organisational election in 1992, in which she was defeated.
He recollected how she suddenly changed her mind and demanded open elections in the party unit.

The former president recalled that after media reports said the top leaders of the West Bengal Congress, including Banerjee, wanted a consensus election to avoid an open contest that could bring out "ugly factionalism" in the party, then prime minister and Congress chief P V Narasimha Rao asked him to mediate and find a solution.
"One day, during the winter of that year, I requested Mamata Banerjee for a meeting to discuss some of the observations she had made about the process (of organizational elections).
"During the discussion, Mamata suddenly flared up and accused me along with other leaders of a conspiracy against her. She now demanded organisational election, and said she had always stood for elections so that grass-roots level workers could have their say in organisational matters," he said in the book.
Banerjee went on to accuse him and others of "distributing organisational positions" among themselves, "thereby thwarting the electoral process", he wrote. Mukherjee said he was "flabbergasted by her reaction and wild allegations" and told her that a compromise formula was being devised at the request of the leaders, including her.

But she claimed she was totally opposed to his approach and wanted open elections, he said.
"Having said that she left the meeting in a huff. I was stunned and felt humiliated and insulted," he said.
The former president said she lost by a very narrow margin to Mitra in the election for the post of the WBPCC president held through a secret ballot.
"I was present when that result was announced. An angry Mamata came up to me and asked, 'Are you happy? Has your desire to defeat me been fulfilled?' I told her that she was totally mistaken," Mukherjee recalled.
He told her he had played no role in the organizational election since she last met him. The former Congress leader in the book also said that the evolution of Mamata Banerjee as a political leader of substance was an important episode in contemporary politics of West Bengal.
"She has built her own career - fearlessly and aggressively - and what she is today is the outcome of her own struggle, labour and hard work. She has an aura about her which is difficult to explain but impossible to ignore," he said.
He also said Banerjee emerged as a force to reckon with after the Kolkata plenary in 1997 as has had a spectacular political career.
Mukherjee described her victory in the 1984 Lok Sabha when she defeated CPI(M)'s Somnath Chatterjee from Jadavpur, a constituency that was considered a citadel of the Marxist party.
"This was a splendid victory and she appeared to be truly a giant killer. Throughout her subsequent political life, she has always faced tough challenges bravely and tried to convert them into opportunities," he said.

arvind1982 liked this post
Wonderbank no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2017, 03:17 PM   #9783
i000007

Likes (Received): 407

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonderbank View Post
For the MamBa lovers who bloat on her skilled & opportunistically played sympathy card

Here is what Pranab Mukherjee said about ‘rebel’ Mamata Banejee

Former President Pranab Mukherjee has described Mamata Banerjee as a "born rebel" and recalled how she once stormed out of a meeting, leaving him feeling "humiliated and insulted".
Noting that there was an aura about her which was "difficult to explain but impossible to ignore", Mukherjee said in his new book 'The Coalition Years' that she had built her career fearlessly and aggressively and was the "outcome of her own struggle".
"Mamata Banerjee is a born rebel," he wrote, adding that nothing illustrated this trait better than an episode in the West Bengal Congress organisational election in 1992, in which she was defeated.
He recollected how she suddenly changed her mind and demanded open elections in the party unit.

The former president recalled that after media reports said the top leaders of the West Bengal Congress, including Banerjee, wanted a consensus election to avoid an open contest that could bring out "ugly factionalism" in the party, then prime minister and Congress chief P V Narasimha Rao asked him to mediate and find a solution.
"One day, during the winter of that year, I requested Mamata Banerjee for a meeting to discuss some of the observations she had made about the process (of organizational elections).
"During the discussion, Mamata suddenly flared up and accused me along with other leaders of a conspiracy against her. She now demanded organisational election, and said she had always stood for elections so that grass-roots level workers could have their say in organisational matters," he said in the book.
Banerjee went on to accuse him and others of "distributing organisational positions" among themselves, "thereby thwarting the electoral process", he wrote. Mukherjee said he was "flabbergasted by her reaction and wild allegations" and told her that a compromise formula was being devised at the request of the leaders, including her.

But she claimed she was totally opposed to his approach and wanted open elections, he said.
"Having said that she left the meeting in a huff. I was stunned and felt humiliated and insulted," he said.
The former president said she lost by a very narrow margin to Mitra in the election for the post of the WBPCC president held through a secret ballot.
"I was present when that result was announced. An angry Mamata came up to me and asked, 'Are you happy? Has your desire to defeat me been fulfilled?' I told her that she was totally mistaken," Mukherjee recalled.
He told her he had played no role in the organizational election since she last met him. The former Congress leader in the book also said that the evolution of Mamata Banerjee as a political leader of substance was an important episode in contemporary politics of West Bengal.
"She has built her own career - fearlessly and aggressively - and what she is today is the outcome of her own struggle, labour and hard work. She has an aura about her which is difficult to explain but impossible to ignore," he said.
He also said Banerjee emerged as a force to reckon with after the Kolkata plenary in 1997 as has had a spectacular political career.
Mukherjee described her victory in the 1984 Lok Sabha when she defeated CPI(M)'s Somnath Chatterjee from Jadavpur, a constituency that was considered a citadel of the Marxist party.
"This was a splendid victory and she appeared to be truly a giant killer. Throughout her subsequent political life, she has always faced tough challenges bravely and tried to convert them into opportunities," he said.
Case of pot calling the kettle black! Have little respect for this guy! Did precious little for his home state at a time when Bengal was steadily on the path of decline and he was the No. 2 of the Central government. Had he even helped the Kolkata businessmen during the license raj, like the way he did for the Ambanis, the business situation in Bengal wouldn't have been as bad as it is today!
Old October 20th, 2017, 03:25 PM   #9784
BengaliTiger

Likes (Received): 402

@Suncity - The Constitution gives power to both the Union and States to make law on certain subjects mentioned under the Concurrent list. See, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Concurrent_List

If there is inconsistency between a state law and an union law on the same subject, ie, real estate in this case, the provisions or the whole law might be held unconstitutional. However, the state may seek assent of the President to continue with its own law on the same subject (this is highly controversial and subject to legal challenges). I have not been able to get a copy of the HIRA, to anlayse the provisions, but a law made on same subjects are generally prone to legal challenges. The idea is to delay the implementation, in whatever legal way possible.

See, the Kerala Repeal Act: http://www.niyamasabha.org/codes/14k...45%20(Eng).pdf
Old October 21st, 2017, 05:40 AM   #9785
alejandro-leon

Likes (Received): 65

Quote:
Originally Posted by killerk View Post
Yes agreed, but the ones that change their passport come to India once every 2-3 years and lesser as they get more assimilated with the society of their new country....The ones from the "Gelf" come multiple times a year to India because they have a house/houses in India or for family events etc. An average GELF mallu or bengali (Yes there are bengalis too) visits India atleast twice a year!! whether they fly "bijness" class or "sleeper" class, they fly multiple times to India!! There are also Keralites (still on Indian passport) in the far east/ ASEAN nations who visit multiple times....(not just Gulf contrary to popular belief)!!

Another case in point are Ahmedabad and Amritsar....Intl. numbers are low despite the fact that Gujaratis and Punjabis form the largest diaspora in North America and maybe in Europe too!!

The fact Indranil Rocks mentioned was only part of the reason why Kerala airports do so well...he missed out this major reason!!
That is true. The ones with upgraded passport eventually travel a lot less to India. Although a lot of them do own houses/condos in India (I personally don't but a lot do).

Amritsar's numbers can be explained. The diaspora from there are mostly in UK and Canada and they are not exactly high skilled high paid immigrants and neither is ATQ a business hub. The ones in Canada mostly got political asylum and the ones in UK are engaged in lower paid professions. So BA or AC would have no desire to fly to ATQ. They have Turkmenistan Airlines and Uzbekistan Airlines, which is what the ATQ NRIs/OCIs use.

With Gujarat, the ones that migrated to the US were again low skilled ones although their US born kids have mostly moved on to white collar jobs. So, no BA or UA in AMD. AI operates a flight to LHR and EWR from AMD, but then again, AI does not care for profits. Plus, that flight might have had Modi's blessings. But filing up economy from EWR to AMD would be easy.

As for "gelf", those people are technically not immigrants. They are just temporary workers in the "gelf". So obviously they maintain deep ties with India.

killerk liked this post
alejandro-leon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2017, 12:45 PM   #9786
sumang007

Likes (Received): 132

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suncity View Post
West Bengal had published the draft in 2016 inviting comments and feedback (the draft is available for download). There was some criticism by activists and builders. The bill was passed by WB Assembly in August 2017 (the download link isn't working).

One of the media houses which is a staunch critic of the WB Govt had this to say about the WB Bill:

"The Mamata Banerjee government has drafted a bill to protect home buyers that so far appears to have refrained from following many states which have watered down central provisions.

The West Bengal Housing Industry Regulation Bill, which has been circulated but not yet tabled, is almost identical to the Real Estate (Regulation & Development) Act promulgated by the Centre. Several states had chosen to frame diluted rules under the central act but Bengal is seeking to enact a law of its own."

There are plenty of legal activists in Kolkata who are always ready to challenge the govts in court if they see anything unfair and I am sure they would have jumped in by now if they had smelt anything unconstitutional or fishy.
@Suncity: As of date WB has not implemented RERA and there is no indication when it will be implemented. Wondering why the buyers are not getting into protest mode as the SG is simply delaying and helping builders by not even planning when the REA authority will be setup (it seems they are giving time to errant builders to complete their play with the current buyers)
sumang007 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2017, 12:50 PM   #9787
sumang007

Likes (Received): 132

Quote:
Originally Posted by alejandro-leon View Post
That is true. The ones with upgraded passport eventually travel a lot less to India. Although a lot of them do own houses/condos in India (I personally don't but a lot do).

Amritsar's numbers can be explained. The diaspora from there are mostly in UK and Canada and they are not exactly high skilled high paid immigrants and neither is ATQ a business hub. The ones in Canada mostly got political asylum and the ones in UK are engaged in lower paid professions. So BA or AC would have no desire to fly to ATQ. They have Turkmenistan Airlines and Uzbekistan Airlines, which is what the ATQ NRIs/OCIs use.

With Gujarat, the ones that migrated to the US were again low skilled ones although their US born kids have mostly moved on to white collar jobs. So, no BA or UA in AMD. AI operates a flight to LHR and EWR from AMD, but then again, AI does not care for profits. Plus, that flight might have had Modi's blessings. But filing up economy from EWR to AMD would be easy.

As for "gelf", those people are technically not immigrants. They are just temporary workers in the "gelf". So obviously they maintain deep ties with India.
Technically correct.But the technically skilled (high skilled) gulf bengali typically spends a decade or 2 in this region. And a good number travel a number of times in a year (2 being a bare minimum and they prefer a business class- often funded by the firm they work for). And this category typically maintain a bare minimum of 2 houses in India (average will be 3). Also have seen a significant preference by non Indians in gulf region for South and Goa and North India ( in respective order) when it comes to Tourism. Maybe Kolkata needs more visibility- festivals, places to see, history, culture...

Last edited by sumang007; October 21st, 2017 at 12:58 PM.
sumang007 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2017, 03:40 PM   #9788
Suncity
By the ocean

Likes (Received): 13914

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumang007 View Post
@Suncity: As of date WB has not implemented RERA and there is no indication when it will be implemented. Wondering why the buyers are not getting into protest mode as the SG is simply delaying and helping builders by not even planning when the REA authority will be setup (it seems they are giving time to errant builders to complete their play with the current buyers)
The bill has been passed. It will take a few months to get implemented. I think there are no "protests" possibly because there is no dearth of existing Rules and Regulations [WB and several states already had similar rules in place before the central govt act came into force] but there is very little the consumer can do in reality because of time and financial constraints. So consumers have very little confidence in anything earth shattering happening with another set of rules touted as consumer friendly. It will all depend on the implementation and enforcement of the laws. Time will tell.
Suncity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2017, 07:38 PM   #9789
Wonderbank

Quote:
The bill has been passed. It will take a few months to get implemented. I think there are no "protests" possibly because there is no dearth of existing Rules and Regulations [WB and several states already had similar rules in place before the central govt act came into force] but there is very little the consumer can do in reality because of time and financial constraints. So consumers have very little confidence in anything earth shattering happening with another set of rules touted as consumer friendly. It will all depend on the implementation and enforcement of the laws. Time will tell.
I would like to state that I am a beneficiary of the RERA implementation and the Insolvency Court as I am a victim of a Real Estate scam. And it happened with complete political backing. Since RERA will hit the syndicate industry in WB, the state govt. is pussyfooting on it as they are partners in the nexus.

And I am thankful not only to RERA but also for the 1st time our 4 year pending problems are going to be addressed. http://www.financialexpress.com/indu...-to-do/899314/

sumang007 liked this post
Old October 22nd, 2017, 06:48 AM   #9790
Suncity
By the ocean

Quote:
I would like to state that I am a beneficiary of the RERA implementation and the Insolvency Court as I am a victim of a Real Estate scam. And it happened with complete political backing.

And I am thankful not only to RERA but also for the 1st time our 4 year pending problems are going to be addressed. http://www.financialexpress.com/indu...-to-do/899314/
Sorry to hear that you are victim of a real estate scam. Best of luck with getting justice or your money back. Hope it works out for you.

Quote:
Since RERA will hit the syndicate industry in WB, the state govt. is pussyfooting on it as they are partners in the nexus.
RERA will mainly affect small time promoters not only in West Bengal but across India. With the big developers and govt failing to fill the massive housing shortage gap in urban areas, it is the small time promoters who have provided the maximum housing supply (which the fancy real estate think tanks don't care about). If that supply is closed or goes down, hopefully the govt and big developers will step in to provide affordable homes in reasonable time frames. And if big developers build more houses it will be the syndicates who will be mightily pleased. It means better "opportunities" for them.
Old October 22nd, 2017, 08:29 AM   #9791
Wonderbank

The small promoters who were looking to make a quick buck will be affected indeed. And high time that the customer is finally in a win-win situation. The RE sector needed a massive clean up and finally its happening.

The Real Estate scam is massive, FYI. The day it comes out, it will shake a former govt. out of its chair. Since the matter is not relevant to the city nor the thread, I won't elaborate details further. But RERA is reqd in WB so that the syndicate- govt nexus & benami deals are further prevented.

sumang007 liked this post
Old October 22nd, 2017, 11:10 AM   #9792
alejandro-leon

Likes (Received): 65

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sKid View Post
That's exactly what the Regional Chauvinists believe, btw. That a "common Identity', forced upon their Great land' by people sitting in (presumably) Delhi, is holding back the region from being prosperous like the "good old days of the princely states".

They always believe that the phenomenon witnessed in the Balkan region will never occur in their land because they're somehow special..

Anyway, these regionalists will always be dragged kicking, screaming into the federation because none of their political leaders believe in secession..

No point in discussing that here. Sorry, mods, for going off-topic.
Just to make it clear, I do not consider that Bengal's lack of development is due to Delhi keeping them back. In fact, I feel that bengal's lack of development is due to Bengali people and their choice of politicians. And I do not have any kind of voting rights in India. If the Kolkata lovers want to see BA and LH and maybe UA in CCU, they need to get to act their act together and realize that cherishing in memories of Tagore and Subhas Bose are not the way forward to prosperity, they have to get in line with the 21st century. As for other Indian ethnicity, I don't feel any connection with people from a certain state which was recently bifurcated into two, they just bring bad name to Indians in the United States. If you are not an Indian based in US, you won't realize what am I talking about.

Wonderbank liked this post
alejandro-leon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2017, 11:45 AM   #9793
dipu8013

Likes (Received): 119

Quote:
Just to make it clear, I do not consider that Bengal's lack of development is due to Delhi keeping them back. In fact, I feel that bengal's lack of development is due to Bengali people and their choice of politicians. And I do not have any kind of voting rights in India. If the Kolkata lovers want to see BA and LH and maybe UA in CCU, they need to get to act their act together and realize that cherishing in memories of Tagore and Subhas Bose are not the way forward to prosperity, they have to get in line with the 21st century. As for other Indian ethnicity, I don't feel any connection with people from a certain state which was recently bifurcated into two, they just bring bad name to Indians in the United States. If you are not an Indian based in US, you won't realize what am I talking about.

Gotta agree with this. This, and our work culture too. Delhi and Mumbai may be ahead because they are the capital and the commerce capital of India respectively, but Bangalore and Chennai are pacing forward simply because of their work ethics. We want everything handed to us and not work for it. The communists in bengalis will be the death of our industry. And the only hope of seeing a change would be through the upcoming generation, most of whom are flocking away to other cities.

Wonderbank liked this post
dipu8013 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2017, 12:07 PM   #9794
i000007

Scathing indictment of the "jholawalas" and their ilk by...Noam Chomsky!

i000007 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2017, 06:51 PM   #9795
Suncity
By the ocean

Quote:
Originally Posted by i000007 View Post
Scathing indictment of the "jholawalas" and their ilk by...Noam Chomsky!
The guy is pretty scathing about many things and seems to side with "jholawalas" on many issues. Here are many of his "positions".
If we give credence to his supposed criticism of 'jholawalas" in the video you posted, then you have to take the whole story into consideration.

I am never sure why Indians have to give any undue importance to him.

About India:

Quote:
I have followed India carefully, and have been there a number of times. It is an exciting country in many ways with its rich culture. But what is really striking to me about India, much more than most other countries I have been to, is the indifference of privileged sectors to the misery of others. You walk through Delhi and cannot miss it, but people just don’t seem to see it. Everyone is talking about ‘Shining India’ and yet people are starving. So people don’t look, they put themselves in a bubble and then don’t see it — the misery and the oppression are so striking, much worse than in any country I have ever seen. And it is so dramatic. There is a lot of talk about how India is slated to be a major power, and I can’t believe it, with all its internal problems.
On "intolerance"

Quote:
Chomsky was asked about the debate over “intolerance” and whether alleged government interference in educational institutions was limited to India.

He maintained that India is “not the only country where educational institutions are being subjected to such attacks, though the sequence of events at JNU signal towards a culture of authoritarian menace”.

“Three cases have been most prominent in that regard since the beginning of 2016: the crackdown by Turkish authorities on more than 1200 signatories of the petition by ‘Academics for Peace’ criticizing the anti-Kurdish war drive launched by the Turkish government;

“The crackdown by Indian authorities on students involved in a non-violent campus protest at JNU and Hyderabad University, ... and the savage torture and assassination in Cairo of Italian research student Giulio Regeni,” Chomsky, known as the ‘Father of Modern Linguistics’, added.

Chomsky had last week written to the JNU Vice Chancellor questioning his decision to “allow police on campus when it was not legally required” after six of its students were booked under sedition charges after a programme where anti-national slogans were allegedly raised.
Kudankulam protesters

Quote:
Internationally acclaimed academician Noam Chomsky of Massachusetts Institute of Technology of the United States has warned that Kudankulam could be another Bhopal disaster in waiting. In a solidarity letter to the struggling people he said: "Nuclear energy is a very dangerous initiative, particularly in countries like India, which has had more than its share of industrial disasters, Bhopal being the most famous."
"I would like to express my support for the courageous people's movement protesting the opening of the Kudankulam Nuclear Power Plant," added Chomsky.
Sardar Sarovar Dam

Quote:
Renowned American historian and philosopher Noam Chomsky has come out in support of the Narmada Valley’s project affected people (PAP), the Narmada Bachao Andolan has said in a statement. Chomsky has endorsed an online petition seeking Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s intervention in ensuring justice for those “threatened” by submergence due to the Sardar Sarovar in Madhya Pradesh, said the Andolan, a social movement against large dams on Narmada river.
Kashmir

Quote:
We condemn the systematic violence used by Indian armed forces and demand an immediate end to this state terrorism against civilians. We furthermore demand that the Indian government communicate with Kashmiris, rather than considering it a bilateral issue between India and Pakistan. We also call on world leaders and human rights organisations to unequivocally condemn the siege of Kashmir and the ensuing war crimes and human rights violations by India’s security forces.
Old October 22nd, 2017, 07:00 PM   #9796
Suncity
By the ocean

Quote:
Just to make it clear, I do not consider that Bengal's lack of development is due to Delhi keeping them back. In fact, I feel that bengal's lack of development is due to Bengali people and their choice of politicians.
The lack of "development" of Bengal is in your mind. And Bengali's choice of politician is better than what some tom tom nations have recently chosen. There is plenty of excellent developments going on all over Bengal and India. Bengal haters or India haters will always find some way to criticize.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dipu8013 View Post
Gotta agree with this. This, and our work culture too. Delhi and Mumbai may be ahead because they are the capital and the commerce capital of India respectively, but Bangalore and Chennai are pacing forward simply because of their work ethics. We want everything handed to us and not work for it. The communists in bengalis will be the death of our industry. And the only hope of seeing a change would be through the upcoming generation, most of whom are flocking away to other cities.
That is a pretty generalized statement - that work culture of Bengalis or Kolkatans is bad. Have you seen how hard people work? I see all my friends, relatives, ex colleagues bursting their behinds at work. And no, no one is waiting for a hand me down. Yes, there maybe small sections of unionized public sector folks who shirk responsibilities. These are few in number and they are all over Indian public sector.

It is time people stopped making irresponsible comments tarring a state and its people.

90sKid, [email protected], anan355 liked this post
Old October 22nd, 2017, 07:50 PM   #9797
dipu8013

Likes (Received): 119

Quote:

That is a pretty generalized statement - that work culture of Bengalis or Kolkatans is bad. Have you seen how hard people work? I see all my friends, relatives, ex colleagues bursting their behinds at work. And no, no one is waiting for a hand me down. Yes, there maybe small sections of unionized public sector folks who shirk responsibilities. These are few in number and they are all over Indian public sector.

It is time people stopped making irresponsible comments tarring a state and its people.

I understand what you mean, but in my experience, yes, it has been like that. maybe i have met the small section you talk of, and at this point, i hope so too. but this has been my experience. and thus, i made the comment based on my experience.
dipu8013 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2017, 10:27 PM   #9798
i000007

Quote:
The guy is pretty scathing about many things and seems to side with "jholawalas" on many issues. Here are many of his "positions".
If we give credence to his supposed criticism of 'jholawalas" in the video you posted, then you have to take the whole story into consideration.

I am never sure why Indians have to give any undue importance to him.

About India:

On "intolerance"

Kudankulam protesters

Sardar Sarovar Dam

Kashmir
I think you somehow missed noticing the ellipsis before his name! It was intentional.
i000007 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2017, 06:42 AM   #9799
Wonderbank

While back home, yet once again!

Duo get bail in FB case

Two men arrested for Facebook posts that mentioned the problems they had faced because of traffic restrictions in Balurghat during Durga Puja were granted bail by a court on Sunday as the prosecution didn't press for their continued custody.

Debajit Roy, a businessman, and Anupam Tarafdar, a bank employee, were greeted by people as the duo walked out of the chief judicial magistrate's court in Balurghat.

"Both Anupam Tarafdar and I were constantly interrogated and police kept on asking us whether any political party or leader had instigated us to make the posts. We said we had written the posts on our own," Roy said after his release.

The two said their bail was a "victory of democracy and fundamental rights".

After the duo's arrest on Thursday evening, the police had said they suspected "political" motive behind the Facebook posts.

The law enforcers stopped the local people from bringing out a silent march in protest against the arrests on Friday evening.

"We didn't permit the march as some politicians, including the RSP MLA of Balurghat, Biswanath Chowdhury, were present. There was an apprehension of breach of law and order," said a police source.

As the arrests irked the Balurghat people, the police softened their stand and did not oppose the bail plea when the matter came up for hearing on Sunday.

Jayanta Majumdar, the assistant public prosecutor, told the court that they could be granted bail. "The lawyer also mentioned that both of them had helped the police in the probe," said a source.

After hearing the submissions, the court granted bail to Roy and Tarafdar.

Several people had gathered on the court premises during the hearing. As the duo walked out of the court around 1pm, the cheering crowd followed them.

Roy said he had told the police that he did not violate the traffic restrictions but had simply "shared his feelings".

Priyadarshini, his wife, sounded relieved. "As police had misbehaved with me, I was worried how they would treat my husband. His bail has brought a huge relief to us," she said.

Asked about the case, a senior police officer said both the accused had cooperated with the investigation and did not conceal information. "We felt there was no need to interrogate them further and hence, did not seek the extension of their remand. We will, however, continue the investigation to find out whether there was any ulterior motive behind the posts in the social media," he said.
Old October 23rd, 2017, 07:21 AM   #9800
barnomoy

Likes (Received): 33

Quote:
The lack of "development" of Bengal is in your mind. And Bengali's choice of politician is better than what some tom tom nations have recently chosen. There is plenty of excellent developments going on all over Bengal and India. Bengal haters or India haters will always find some way to criticize.

The discussion in going way off topic, but I could not help not post on this, Suncity. I am born in Kolkata and have spent my entire educational life there, only going out after my graduation for work. I love Kolkata at least as much, if not more, than you and make it a point to visit at least 5-6 times a year.

But whether you like it or not, work culture in Kolkata is pathetic to say the least. "Bursting their behinds at work" does not signify good work culture. Just like you, I have also seen my friends, colleagues and most importantly my parents, both of who worked their whole life in the city. We Bengalis have a habit of complaining at the drop of a hat, we don't want to perform but expect best appraisals. We prefer laid back and relaxed work loads, but still would complain of "bishal kajer chaap, ektu o shomoy paina" at social gatherings just to show how busy we are. We don't know what work life balance is, going to office late and then doing overtime just to get some extra moolah at the end of the month. The list goes on.

I have had the privilege to work in 4 of India's metro cities as well as in a few places abroad. I total get what dipu says, and wholly agree with him. It is not about political parties, it is about the average Bong mindset which needs a sea change. Till then we can only go on debating the requirement of a direct European or North American flight, whilst most of us would still be comfortable to travel via DEL or BOM (or the ME3) making their international pax count higher.

We can defend and argue all we want, but facts wont change on these, I feel sorry to say. Sorry for the OT, hope to resume NSCBIA discussions...

ayan92, neversayno liked this post
barnomoy no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
calcutta, films, kolkata, kolkatta, music