search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Asian Forums > India > Metropolitan Projects > Kolkata

Kolkata Project news for Kolkata Metropolitan Region - Kolkata, Howrah, Bidhan Nagar (Salt Lake), Nabadiganta (Sector V), New Town, Kalyani

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 8th, 2010, 07:25 PM   #101
studdmanster
<!error detected>

Likes (Received): 17659

Elder Health Care Brings Fairone Beauty Pageant to Kolkata With "Fairone Miss Kolkata"

Source: http://www.sbwire.com/news/view/46618

Dr. Anuuj J Saxena, Managing Director, Elder Health Care Ltd and promoters of Fair One, Fairness Cream present a beauty contest which gives "The Girl Next Door" a chance to realize their modeling and cinema dreams. The roll out for this beauty pageant started off with Mumbai, sprinkled its glitter in Pune & Delhi and now destined for Kolkata to give it a chance to prove once again that, Kolkata is indeed "The Land of Beauties". The winners of all the past events would qualify for Fairone Miss India Platinum, who will get a chance to play a role in Dr. Anuuj J Saxena’s forthcoming movie in line with Maverick Production House.

Kolkata has been the home to most of the popular Bengali beauties in Bollywood; to cite a few names, Sharmila Tagore, Bipasha Basu, Raima Sen, Rani Mukherjee & Kajol. Fair One Miss Kolkata is open to all aspiring young female Kolkata residents aged between 16 to 23 years. The participation forms (available on http://www.elderhealthcare.in, http://www.maverick.in or at your near by outlet) have to be completed and submitted to Maverick Productions, the organizers and promoters of the even. The grand finale is to be held on 11th June 2010 at Ivory Banquets, Salt Lake, Kolkata and will be preceded by a 10-day grooming session of the contestants. The FairOne Miss Kolkata 2010 Queen stands to win a cache of gifts from a host of sponsors, besides a cash prize.

Especially for this event, Elder has roped in Prasad Bidapa, who has presented some of the largest Fashion events in India. His training programme for models is considered to be a bible, which guides you through a path to create a big name in Fashion and films. Also at the event there would very talented singer BABUL SUPRIYO who has sung some of the most memorable Bollywood numbers like Kaho na Pyar hai(Kaho Naa... Pyaar Hai), Pari Pari Hai ek Pari(Hungama), Hum Tum(Hum Tum) and Chanda Chamke(Fanaah).

After Kolkata the company plans to roll out the initiative in the Mumbai again with a grand finale. The whole event is being overlooked by an independent organization, BDO, which will ensure a fair and transparent flow.

The panel of judges will comprise of an eminent group of celebrities and fashionistas. Professional experts in fields of fitness, beauty, personality development, ramp walk, and diets will groom the contestants. "Organizing the contest is one part, grooming the contestants on the whole is another. We have roped in top professionals who will ensure that all the contestants are groomed to perfection and take home learnings that will take them on to new heights of achievement", said Dr. Anuuj J Saxena.

Some of the notable past winners of the title have gone on to achieve great success as models and actors, like Nisha Harale Bedi (Successful Model & Artist), Shivangi Parikh who won the Miss India crown (Asia-Pacific), Shveta Salve, who has made it big on the small screen and Pooja Shah a successful model and currently a pilot with an international airline.

Fair One is a completely natural formulation developed and endorsed by Shahnaz Hussain, to make your skin naturally fairer in just 15days. It’s a unique blend of herbal ingredients which makes your skin soft; young and beautiful. Marketed by Elder Health Care, part of the Rs 800 crore Elder group. Elder Health Care Ltd is amongst the fastest growing companies having significant presence in various personal care categories catering to the both domestic and international market. The company is on an aggressive expansion plan; growing at a rapid pace of more than 40 % year on year for the past three years and some of the other renowned brands of the company are Tiger Balm, AMPM Mouthwash & Fuel Deodorants; said Mr. Ajay Ghooli, GM- Sales & Marketing.

Kevin_Brown liked this post
studdmanster no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 8th, 2010, 07:32 PM   #102
studdmanster
<!error detected>

7 World Cup veteran city couple off to South Africa

Source: PTI

As the world's greatest football extravaganza unfolds in South Africa in three days, the spectators' gallery will host two familiar faces from India who have made it a point to be present in every World Cup since 1982.

Meet 77-year-old Pannalal Chatterjee and his wife Chaitali, 67, who have been religiously attending the FIFA World Cup for the last seven editions with a dream to watch their favourite team Brazil host the cup in 2014.

A former Kolkata Port Trust employee, Pannalal, who lives in a narrow bylane at Kidderpore in south Kolkata, saves money to be able to make it to the 'football festival'.

"Brazil is the the Mecca of football. Hope we will be alive till then to see the World cup in that country... that's our only wish," the duo tells PTI in an interview.

Old June 8th, 2010, 07:37 PM   #103
studdmanster
<!error detected>

Stunt Mania Rockathon in Kolkata!

source: TOI

GenY shares as much passion for music as for mean machines (read bikes). So, when Stunt Mania Rockathon happened at a city amusement park on Saturday evening, Kolkata had reasons galore to raise a toast.

Youngsters turned up in huge numbers — some sporting interesting headgears, others displaying their tattoos. The day-long carnival saw performances by Rikterskale, Cassini’s Division, Lakkhichhara and Parikrama. There were bike workshops as well, where bikers explained to the uninitiated how to go about doing stunts the right way, with all the safety gears in place. Nikhil Mohan from the Ghost Riderz team, explained that he had learnt about stunts by watching foreign videos. “Biking is still not a culture in India and so, it was tough convincing my parents. But now, after having worked in films like Robot with Rajinikanth and Khiladi with Mahesh Babu, there is a lot of expectations.” Subir Malik of Parikrama, who performed numbers like Am I dreaming, Tears of wizard and Open skies, said, “It’s great to be part of an event like this.

And what was more heartening was that the crowd wanted to hear our originals much more than covers.”

Old June 8th, 2010, 07:46 PM   #104
studdmanster
<!error detected>

Case against top Kolkata school for student's suicide

Source: NDTV

A case has been filed against one of the Kolkata's best known schools, La Martiniere for Boys, accusing its principal and several other teachers of abetting the suicide of a 13-year-old-student.

Rouvan Rawla, a Class Eight student, had committed suicide on February 12 at his home after coming back from school where he had allegedly been humiliated, harassed for days on end and even caned for indiscipline.

Rouvan Rawla just wasn't the kind of kid who went crying to his parents. But after his death on February 12, his friends spilled the beans. They told Rouvan being slapped by a teacher, made to stand for days outside class by another and finally, on February 8, caned by the principal.

On the February 12, Rouvan was told to bring his parents to school to meet the principal. That afternoon, he returned home and hung himself. His father has now filed a case against the principal and other teachers for abetting his son's suicide.

Commenting on the incident, father of the deceased Ajay Rawla said, "I think constant victimsation, abuse, ridicule, humiliation...combined with beating...Rouvan was a proactive, happy, energetic, positive kid. To break a kid like that....everyone has elasticity, right...? But at some point of time it snaps."

The student's death outraged classmates, alumni and others who, on a social network site, condemned corporal punishment in the school and demanded the principal's removal.

In response to a complaint filed with the National Commission for Protection of Child Rights (NCPCR), a team arrived in Kolkata to probe the incident.

"Parent has made a compliant saying that because the child was insulted, caned, harassed and humiliated, that led to suicide. That's a very serious thing what is happening in the school. We are enquiring into that," said NCPCR Advocate Ashok Agarwal.

The principal of the school, Sunirmal Chakraborty, was not available for comment. The school's Board of Governors, headed by the Bishop of Kolkata, did launch an enquiry into Rouvan Rawla's death, but would not disclose what action, if any, had been taken.

Old June 8th, 2010, 07:51 PM   #105
studdmanster
<!error detected>

Kolkata celebs gear up for FIFA World Cup

Source: HT

With the FIFA World Cup in South Africa only three days away, celebrities of this soccer-mad city are rescheduling their routine logbook to watch their favourite players and teams in action.

Writers, singers and actors here are either rooting for eternal favourites Brazil or giving their thumbs up for Latin American powerhouse Argentina.

Some feel that the samba magic will again see Brazil finish at the top, while others believe that Lionel Messi's wizardry would see Argentina through in the month-long competition beginning June 11.

"My favourite team is Argentina. I am banking a lot on Lionel Messi," said leading singer Indranil Sen.

"I am a die hard soccer fan. My favourite always Brazil," said Shirshendu Mukhopadhyay, a writer popular among both teenagers and adults.

But writer Abul Bashar has a different team in mind.

"I am banking on Brazil but I will also have an eye on Turkey," said Bashar.

The celebs have decided to rearrange their busy schedule to watch the maximum number of matches on TV in the month-long soccer carnival. They have also started preparing to savour the late night action.

"During this time I have to write many stories for the special Durga Puja numbers of magazines. But still I will take out time to see most of the matches. I will even watch the late night games," said Shirshendu.

Indrananil Sen echoes Shirshendu.

Saikar Mitra, another popular singer, is a bit choosy about the late night offerings on the soccer pitches in South Africa.

"Brazil is my first favourite. Spain is my second favourite. If there are good matches then I will surely watch late night contests. And I will surely fix up my schedule so that there is enough room to watch the games," said Mitra.

Stage and screen actor Kaushik Sen, an ardent Argentine fan, knows that late night games would impact his professional commitments next day. But the World Cup is a never-to-miss event.

"In our profession we cannot reschedule our engagements. So even if I watch late night matches I will make sure that all other important engagements are attended properly," said Sen.

Kolkata, which is popularly known as the Mecca of Indian Football, is a major centre of football activity in India and home of top national football clubs such as Mohun Bagan AC, Mohammedan Sporting Club and East Bengal.

Old June 8th, 2010, 11:50 PM   #106
SarafIndian

Likes (Received): 155

Few Masterpieces from Gour, Malda district.

Photo and Information cc samitbrc

Quote:
FIROZ MINAR (A.D. 1486-1489)

This Tower 25.60 m high with spiral staircase having 73 steps was probably constructed by Saifuddin Firoz an Abyssinian who became the Sultan by killing Barbak Shah.
www.flickr.com

Quote:
BARADWARI MOSQUE OR BARASONA MASJID (A.D. 1526)

With the arcaded aisle of its corridor, this mosque is indeed the most impressive building of Gour, built by Sultan Nasrat Shah. It is called Baradwari, a building with twelve doors but has only 11 openings. Its corridor is domed but the three-aisled hall is now domeless, although its domes, originally gilded gave its name or Barasona Masjid or the great golden mosque. On the north are the remains of a ladies' gallery and on the south-east a platform which was probably used by the Muazzin for calling the faithful to prayer. Of its three arched gateway the eastern one alone now survives in its original glory.
www.flickr.com

Quote:
LUKACHURI GATEWAY (A.D. 1655)

This double-storied eastern gateway into the inner ramparts of Gour was built by Shah Shuja and served probably as Royal entrance. Its upper storey was probably used as Naqqarkhana or Drummer’s chamber.
www.flickr.com
Old June 9th, 2010, 03:47 AM   #107
SarafIndian

Likes (Received): 155

wrong thread..sorry..
Old June 9th, 2010, 06:21 AM   #108
debayanlahiri

Likes (Received): 16

Finally, a chance to take charge in civic change

Finally, a chance to take charge in civic change: Luminaries
TIMES NEWS NETWORK

Luminaries on the highprofile civic advisory committee believe they can make a difference by sharing their experience and expertise to help fast-forward the city’s development. Ideas emanating from divergent spheres could help trigger a momentum in civic activities that has so far been lacking, they feel. But each should have a well-defined role and be asked to contribute instead of being made to sit idle, just making up the numbers, members stressed.

Most on the 73-member panel said they were happy to be in the committee and would take their role seriously. Theatreperson Bratya Basu, named a member, said it was a rare opportunity for artists, intellectuals and professionals to have a say in how the city should be run.

“So far, we have been crying hoarse from the wings about a lot of things. This is indeed a chance to play a role and contribute directly. It’s still too early but I do have a few things on my mind. For instance, I would like the city to look cleaner and greener. Also, since I come from the theatre world, it would be nice if we can renovate the existing halls and come up with a few more that would be aesthetically more appealing. We could have more-open air theatres and stages without wings that would encourage more experimental work,” he said.

According to director Haranath Chakraborty, it will offer people from other walks of life to mingle with the masses and work for them. “We shall be stepping into the shoes of politicians with the sole purpose of helping the people and the city. Since our stakes will be lower than that of politicians, I think we are going to be more objective and honest in our approach. It will definitely not be easy but a challenge that I am ready to take up. It is no good just criticizing from the sidelines and it’s time we proved that we mean what we say,” said Chakraborty.

New ideas generated from outside the ambit of politics could help provide the much-needed thrust to Kolkata’s development, said author Shirshendu Mukhopadhyay. “I don’t have anything specific on my mind as yet, but there are obviously a lot of areas in which we can pitch in. Our roles are still not clear and I am yet to receive a formal intimation. But we should be stepping out of our respective spheres and explore every possible avenue of helping the city,” said Mukhopadhyay.

Health professional Pradip Tandon, named in the committee, agreed. “Each member has a core area of expertise. For instance, I would be happier working in the areas of health and education but that doesn’t mean I wouldn’t be contributing in other areas. Sub-committees are likely to be formed for different areas and once that happens, it will be easier to chalk out a plan,” said Tandon.

Some like Chakraborty said they were already bracing to play an active role. “Sporadically, I have been working for people in my area. Recently, I had arranged for a generator from the Tollygunge studios and got an electrical wire repaired. People like us can use our influence and contacts to do something positive. Every effort counts,” said the Tollywood film-maker. Actor Ranjit Mallik, too, felt innovative ideas were the need of hour and those could emerge through a collective brainstorming from people who are not directly involved in politics. “As outsiders, we are perhaps better qualified to look at the civic issues and address them,” Mallik said.

But it could be difficult to make a real difference unless members can devote quality time, pointed out actor Bibhas Chakrabarty. “I have opted out for I felt I would not have the time to play an active role,” he said.
debayanlahiri no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2010, 07:36 AM   #109
studdmanster
<!error detected>

Teachers named in boy death

Source: The Telegraph

The principal and four teachers of La Martiniere for Boys have been accused of abetment to suicide in the death of Rouvanjit Rawla and find themselves at the receiving end of a police inquiry and a probe by the National Commission for Protection of Child Rights.

The father of Class VIII boy Rouvanjit, who was found hanging in his Alipore house on February 12, lodged a complaint with Shakespeare Sarani police station on Monday charging the teachers with corporal punishment and torture.

“Ajay Rawla has accused five teachers of the school, including the principal, Sunirmal Chakravarthi, of misbehaving with his son and torturing him. He alleged that they drove him to commit suicide,” said an officer of Shakespeare Sarani police station.

“We have started a case of abetment to suicide against all the accused. As a first step we have asked for the post-mortem report,” he added.

No one from La Martiniere for Boys was available for comment on Tuesday.

The 11 Loudon Street campus was visited by a two-member committee from the National Commission for Protection of Child Rights probing the Rawla case — and also the alleged demand for a laptop by a teacher and his refusal to promote Srijan Banerjee, of Class IV, when denied.

The two-member inquiry committee led by Ashok Agarwal met a “close friend” of Rouvanjit, his family members as well as the principal of the school along with eight other teachers on Tuesday.

“We have asked the school to submit a statement. We will go back to the school on Wednesday and question the teachers and principal further based on the statement,” Agarwal told Metro.

On the bribe case involving Sanjay Smart — who has been remanded in judicial custody till June 14 — Agarwal said: “The boy’s father met us and we have asked him to submit a written complaint. We will investigate this matter as well.”

Partha Pratim Banerjee, father of Srijan, told Metro: “The commission heard us out for over two hours. We told them of the extortion and victimisation at the hands of Smart, and how the principal had not even given us a hearing.”

What happens if the commission finds the teachers — and the principal — guilty of misconduct? It would recommend their removal. Is that binding on the school? It isn’t, but it can definitely act as an instrument of pressure and form the basis of subsequent action taken by the school or the state administration.

“Nothing will get Rouvanjit back and I don’t have a personal vendetta against the school but I want to make sure that no other boy suffers the fate of Rouvanjit,” said Rawla.

But why wait four months before filing a police complaint? “I had initially refused to believe my son had committed suicide and was convinced it was an accident. It was only later when I talked to his friends and went through his diary that I realised he was being humiliated and tortured in school,” said Rawla.

In his complaint to the commission, filed two months ago, Rawla mentioned the names of English teacher Partha Dutta, who had allegedly made Rouvanjit stand outside class, L.G. Gunnion, the head of the middle school, who had allegedly slapped the boy and principal Chakravarthi, who had allegedly caned him four days before his death.

Metro had on May 21 reported how two veteran members of the school board, Neil O’ Brien and K.S. David, were dropped after they demanded “suitable and immediate action against Smart” and “appropriate action” against the principal and teachers for inflicting corporal punishment in the Rawla matter.

The probe team has also asked for the report of the internal investigation conducted on the instance of board members like O’ Brien and David before they were dropped.

Old June 9th, 2010, 07:37 AM   #110
studdmanster
<!error detected>

the school's admin should be put behind the bars ASAP

Old June 9th, 2010, 07:40 AM   #111
studdmanster
<!error detected>

Mayor in a hurry breaks protocol - sovan holds pre-monsoon meeting behind bikash’s back

Source: The Telegraph

Mayor-select Sovan “Jol” Chatterjee strode into the Calcutta Municipal Corporation on Tuesday to convene a meeting on monsoon waterlogging, drowning protocol in his eagerness to take charge and leaving the outgoing board smarting from the premature farewell.

“The monsoon will have hit Calcutta by the time our board takes over. So I wanted to review the preventive measures that are being planned to combat waterlogging. The problem of poor water pressure in the added areas (including his ward 81) also needed to be discussed,” argued Chatterjee, officially still only a borough chairman.

As Chatterjee walked into the conference room, he was joined by fellow borough chairman Firhad “Bobby” Hakim and two more Trinamul councillors, Sachchidananda Banerjee and Rajib Deb. The quartet then summoned municipal commissioner Arnab Roy, joint commissioner Shahidul Islam and the departmental heads, including chief engineer (civil) P.K. Dhua, his water supply counterpart Bibhas Maity, head of drainage and sewerage Amit Roy and finance chief Debotosh Dasgupta.

The meeting lasted one-and-a-half hours, by which time word had reached mayor Bikash Ranjan Bhattacharyya about his successor allegedly overstepping his brief to hold a meeting before being even sworn in.

“I am appalled by the newly elected dispensation’s utter lack of respect for tradition. This is not only a breach of protocol but also an insult to the mayor’s chair,” he told Metro late in the evening.

Chatterjee had arrived to a buzz at the CMC headquarters around 2pm with visitors and employees coming forward to shake hands with him as he walked up the red-carpeted stairs leading to the first-floor chambers of those who matter in the municipal corporation.

He stole a glance at the office of the mayor with the nameplate “Bikash Ranjan Bhattacharyya” still on the door before entering the conference room to its right.

Although no civic official would confirm it, everyone apparently knew Chatterjee would be holding a meeting with them in the conference room.

Meeting over, Chatterjee declared that the discussions were fruitful. “The municipal commissioner has called us on Thursday for a detailed meeting on the points that were raised today,” he said.

He then took a leisurely walk down the corridor and posed for photographers before climbing down the stairs.

Was he sending a message by convening a meeting of the heads of civic departments even before taking over as mayor? “Kajei dekhte paben (My work will speak for itself),” Chatterjee said, getting into a silver Mitsubishi Pajero.

As the SUV sped away, tongues started wagging about the first controversy of the would-be Trinamul regime at the civic headquarters. “According to CMC Act of 1980, Bikash Bhattacharyya is the boss till such time the new board is sworn in next week. A borough chairman cannot convene a meeting of all departmental heads,” said an official.

Tushar Mukherjee, a senior functionary of the secretary department, said it was “disturbing” to see the mayor-select showing scant regard for protocol. “In my 30 years of service, this is the first time I am seeing a mayor-in-waiting act like this,” he added.

Citu leader Amalendu Bhattacharyya, who recently retired from the civic body, termed it as a “brazen breach of convention”.

“I was associated with the CMC for 48 years, and no previous mayor had ever done anything like this,” he said.

Old June 9th, 2010, 07:41 AM   #112
studdmanster
<!error detected>

someone seems in a bit too hurry...not even a week...already in a controvercy...jiyo pagla:P

Old June 9th, 2010, 07:43 AM   #113
studdmanster
<!error detected>

M & M score for Argentina in jersey pop picks - Maradona and Messi combine to topple traditional favourites Brazil in countdown to Cup

Source: TT

If “M” was the factor in the civic poll, “M & M” seem to have pulled Argentina ahead of Brazil in the World Cup popularity stakes in soccer-crazy Calcutta.

“I want Maradona on my chest and the names of Messi and the other 22 members of the Argentina squad on the back of my jersey,” 25-year-old Sanjeev Rakshit tells Maidan Market artist Ishtiaq Ahmed alias Pappu, who uses stencils and quick-drying paint to enliven team jerseys with revered names and magic numbers.

A grumble greets Sanjeev’s request, not from Pappu but members of a Kidderpore club who have been waiting to whisk him away to their para to work on a hundred giant Argentina flags, each 20ft long.

“The Calcuttan’s heart is where Diego Maradona is. So what if he is not playing? He is the coach,” says Sanjeev, a trader from Gangulybagan, explaining why Argentina rather than traditional favourite Brazil is on more lips this time.

“Of every 100 jerseys we are selling, 70 are of Argentina. Messi’s Barcelona shirt is a hot-seller, as are those with his face printed on them. Argentina’s M&M magic has caught the imagination of the city,” says Sujit Shukla of Reliable Sports, at Maidan Market.

So where does that leave Brazil in the Calcutta soccer stakes?

“Every World Cup year, the sale of Brazil and Argentina merchandise is more or less neck and neck. But things are different this time. Argentina’s fan following seems to have skyrocketed since Maradona’s visit to the city (in late 2008),” says Sheikh Azhar, who sells flags and jerseys.

Pappu has procured stencils of the exact numerical characters being printed on the Brazil jerseys this time but it’s “Messi” that he is writing more on shirts purchased by fans. Not that he minds as long as business is good, wherever in Latin America it comes from.

Sanjeev’s Argentina jersey cost him Rs 160, but he needs to pay Pappu nearly four times more — Rs 630 at the rate of Rs 2 a letter — to add “Maradona” in bold and 23 other names.

Maradona the maverick and Messi the magician are in fine form in the branded jersey market as well. “Of the 11 teams whose jerseys Adidas is sponsoring, Argentina is the top draw by a distance in Calcutta followed by Spain and Germany,” says a retailer of the global brand.

According to a spokesperson for Nike, Brazil and Portugal jerseys priced at Rs 2,795 each are selling well. The message for M&M: don’t write off Kaka or Cristiano Ronaldo, just yet.

Last edited by studdmanster; June 9th, 2010 at 07:48 AM.
Old June 9th, 2010, 07:46 AM   #114
studdmanster
<!error detected>

guys what do u say?...can maradona boys make it this time to the finals???....or brazil will regain the cup...like they did in 2002?

Old June 9th, 2010, 07:47 AM   #115
studdmanster
<!error detected>

HC rooms to get AC

After Writers’ Buildings, it is now Calcutta High Court’s turn to beat the heat. The employees will soon have air-conditioners in their office rooms.

In the first phase, rooms on the second floor of the old building and third floor of the Centenary Building would be air-conditioned. The decision followed a pen-down strike by the employees who alleged it was impossible to work without AC. The registrar general of the court, Tarun Gupta, has directed the state PWD to find out the estimated cost.

Welcoming the move, the vice-president of the Calcutta High Court Bar Association, S.S. Roy, said: “The HC should also provide similar facilities in the Bar Association rooms where many lawyers work.”

Roy also alleged: “The present chief justice has promised to address our demands for adequate medical facilities, potable drinking water and clean toilets. But till date nothing has been done.”

Old June 9th, 2010, 07:52 AM   #116
studdmanster
<!error detected>

Pump problem on fringes

The “waterman” mayor-to-be has a waterlogging problem waiting for him on the city fringes with 27 pumps bought under the Calcutta Environmental Improvement Project (CEIP) in early-2009 “malfunctioning”.

Officials of Worthington Pump India Limited, from which the pumps were bought, said there was nothing wrong with the pumps.

“We installed two of the pumps in a new pumping station at Kasba and two in an existing pumping station at Chingrihata, replacing old pumps,” said a senior CEIP official.

“Since none of the pumps worked properly, we had presumed that the other 23 pumps also would not and had asked the company to replace all the pumps last year,” he added.

The pumps are meant to drain out water that accumulates in the sumps — large underground reservoirs in the pumping stations — into adjacent canals. Underground sewers carry water from the streets to the sumps.

“The company has agreed to change some of the pumps, including the ones installed at Kasba and Chingrihata,” added the CEIP official.

A senior official of Worthington, however, said: “The question of replacing pumps does not arise. At Chingrihata, there was 1.2m silt underground, which was not supposed to be there. At Kasba, the minimum water level required was not available,” said Uday Shankar Roy, the general manager of the company.

The blame game has stalled the installation of the rest of the pumps. “We would not be able to install the pumps this monsoon,” said the CEIP official.

That means large parts of Kasba, Topsia and Tangra, where the pumps were supposed to have been set up, would continue to be submerged after showers.

“The faster the pump drains out water from the sump, the quicker the water recedes on the streets,” explained a CEIP engineer.

Mayor-in-waiting Sovan Chatterjee, who had earned the moniker “Jol Sovan” or waterman during his stint as mayoral council member (water), said he would comment after finding out about the problem.

Both Worthington and CEIP have turned to the mechanical engineering department of Jadavpur University for a verdict on the pumps. “It’s difficult to say when we would be able to submit our report but we are doing the job on a priority basis,” said a teacher in the department.

Old June 9th, 2010, 08:13 AM   #117
studdmanster
<!error detected>

Mamata’s ‘experts’ turn down KMC offer

Source: Indian Express

A number of “experts” named by Trinamool chief Mamata Banerjee in a committee to oversee Kolkata Municipal Corporation affairs have turned down the offer, saying they were not consulted before their names were publicly announced.
Prominent among those who said a polite no are theatre activist Bibhas Chakraborty and Kolkata police commissioner Gautam Mohan Chakraborti.
Mamata’s “committee of experts” had names from all walks of life, including noted writers, journalists, actors and even Kishwar Jehan, the mother of Rizwanur Rehman, the computer graphics teacher found dead by the side of railway tracks two years ago. The informal announcement about the names were made when Mamata nominated her Mayor and distributed other top KMC portfolios.
The Trinamool chief’s list also includes Tollywood actors like Ranjit Mullick, Chiranjeet, Supriya Devi, Debashree Roy, Sandhya Roy, filmmaker Sandip Ray and Haranath Chakraborty, painter Jogen Choudhury, scientist Sujoy Basu, statistician Amiyo Choudhury, sports personalities Gurbux Singh, Nayeemuddin, representatives from chambers of commerce and media personalities.
Many like Bibhas Chakraborty and Gautam Mohan Chakraborti were of the view that they were not informed or consulted before Trinamool leaders decided to make the list public. “I was not informed or consulted before they announced my name. I only saw it appear in the media. I have no intention of joining. My health is not doing well. I do not think I will be able to do justice,” said Bibhas Chakraborty. Gautam Mohan Chakraborti said, “I am a government servant. I cannot just join any advisory committee. Only if the government asks me to do so, I can.” Justice (retd) Chittotosh Mukherjee said, “They did not bother to ask be before announcing my name. I do not think I will join.”
Trinamool’s Subrata Mukherjee, who is the chairman of the committee, said, “It is the party which chose the names. As a chairman, I will like to have the opinion and advice of everyone including renowned names on how to develop our city Kolkata.”

Old June 9th, 2010, 08:17 AM   #118
studdmanster
<!error detected>

Kolkata decks up for grand World Cup

Source:TOI

With less than two days to go before the world's most popular sporting spectacle kicks off at Johannesburg in South Africa, preparations for the month-long soccer fest have hit a feverish pitch in football-crazy Kolkata.

A makeover is under way in drawing rooms of most homes with television sets being upgraded for better viewing. Those who have 14-inch and 21-inch colour televisions are going in for larger screens. For some, the World Cup comes as a good excuse to switch to LCD and plasma screens.

"Since consumer electronics firms have introduced attractive offers ahead of the FIFA World Cup, it makes sense to buy TVs now," said Sumit Ghosh, who exchanged his 29-inch TV for a 32-inch plasma TV on Tuesday.

The soccer mania has spilled on to the streets with para clubs busy sprucing up neighbourhood walls with football graffiti featuring action portraits of stars like Lionel Messi, Christiano Ronaldo and Kaka. Unlike the rancour over defacing of walls ahead of elections, house owners were more than willing to have the flags of top-billed teams Brazil, Argentina, Spain, England and Germany painted on the house facade. On Harish Mukherjee Road, artists were busy putting final touches to World Cup corner.

The soccer fever has stirred up a storm at the Maidan Market. Jerseys of the participating countries, flags and accessories like wrist bands are selling like hot cakes. The dealers are worried if they will be able to meet the demand that is rising as the tournament gets closer.

"Sales started picking up from last week which has gone up by about 60%. Besides retail buyers, we are getting bulk orders from neighbouring states, too. We're having a tough time meeting the demand," said S K Nizamuddin of Raja Sports.

Mohammad Rehman is working overtime to print flags, especially that of Argentina and Brazil. "I am not getting time to have my lunch. Once the tournament starts, I won't even get enough time to sleep," said Rehman.

And it is not just Kolkatans who are flocking the market. The young as well the not-so young from neighbouring districts like Howrah, North and South 24-Parganas have started trooping in to buy accessories relevant to their favourite team.

"I am a diehard fan of Kaka and simply had to buy this jersey number 8 bearing his name. I will flaunt it wherever possible," said Sujoy Jana, a Class IX student who had come down all the way from Salkia in Howrah with three friends. Shop-owners like Rehman of Sports World have decorated his shop with paper flags of 32 countries to attract shoppers.

The recently-opened Axis Mall in New Town is completely in the World Cup mood with festoons, official team jerseys and Jabulani, the FIFA 2010 match ball, on sale. Even a mini pitch has been created where ball jugglers will showcase their skill and control.

"We will also host Disco Football, a three-a-side game where players have to dance to the music and pass the ball only when music stops," said Rai Bagchi, who is putting the show together.

Several key matches will be telecast live at the mall. A food carnival will be held during weekends. "There will be quiz shows, tattoo and face-painting artists as well as chat shows with celebrities and sports personalities," said Peerless Housing managing director KS Bagchi.

Star hotels, too, have hopped on to the World Cup bandwagon with cuisine and drinks served at pubs and clubs where the matches will be telecast live. At Sonar, guests can enjoy matches over drinks at its nightclub, pub and restaurants. At HHI, the matches will be telecast live at one of the nightclubs. A giant wrought iron football along with a 5-ft Jacumi, the World Cup 2010 mascot, will be installed at the entrance.

"On June 12, we will have a theme around Jamaica. Infused chilled vodka shots and kebabs marinated with Jamaican rum will be served on entry. Cocktails will be served at half the price when a goal is scored," said a hotel spokesperson.

The matches will also be showcased at other restaurants on Park Street and the rest of the city with the menu tailored to the occasion.

Old June 10th, 2010, 07:57 AM   #119
debayanlahiri

Likes (Received): 16

WORK FOR CHANGE

Mamata goes pro-industry, gets shut factory running
| TNN

Trinamool Congress chief Mamata Banerjee is clearly in makeover mode. After inducting industry bosses in Kolkata Municipal Corporation’s panel of experts, she personally intervened on Monday to get the Paharpur Cooling Towers at Bhasa near Bishnupur, South 24-Parganas, reopened after nearly a year of closure.

In her race for Writers’ Buildings, the Trinamool chief is keen to shed her anti-industry image — a baggage she has carried since the Singur agitation. On June 3, a day after her thumping win in the civic polls, Mamata had ordered her partymen to call off a blockade of the Kolaghat power plant by landlosers.

Paharpur Group declared suspension of work at the plant (their biggest in the state) in June 2009 due to “unreasonable demands” by the Trinamool-led union and worker indiscipline. When the state government did not respond to its request for help, the management contemplated shifting the factory to Gujarat.

When it downed shutters, the plant employed 400 workers, 120 of whom were permanent staff. It manufactures cooling tower components for power, steel and petrochemical industries and has an annual turnover of Rs 100 crore.

Now, the storm seems to have blown over. Paharpur Cooling Towers vice-president P Dutt said an agreement had been signed with the Trinamool-backed union and most of the 300-plus staff (some casual workers have taken up other jobs) resumed work from Monday. “We had a series of discussions with union leaders for the last six months to reopen the factory. Trinamool leader Partha Chatterjee also helped resolve the problem. Finally, there is good news for all. Around 80% of the workers have already joined,” he said on Wednesday. Paharpur workers given 70% target

Union leaders at the Paharpur Cooling Towers plant credited Mamata Banerjee with breaking the deadlock.

Dilip Mondal, working president of INTTUC-affiliated Paharpur Cooling Tower Workers’ Union, said Mamata’s personal resolve helped end the stalemate. “Didi had instructed Partha Chatterjee to help us solve the problem. The management assured us it would consider our demand in three months,” he said.

Before reopening the plant, the management set some conditions before the workers — they ensure that the plant achieves at least 70% productivity. Failure to meet this target would render the plant unviable, it warned.

INTTUC state president Purnendu Bose welcomed the development. Partha Chatterjee said: “Both the workers and management are equally responsible for running a factory.”
debayanlahiri no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2010, 11:03 AM   #120
niljee

Likes (Received): 724

Quote:
Originally Posted by debayanlahiri View Post
Mamata goes pro-industry, gets shut factory running
| TNN

Trinamool Congress chief Mamata Banerjee is clearly in makeover mode. After inducting industry bosses in Kolkata Municipal Corporation’s panel of experts, she personally intervened on Monday to get the Paharpur Cooling Towers at Bhasa near Bishnupur, South 24-Parganas, reopened after nearly a year of closure.”
Good news indeed!
niljee no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
calcutta, films, kolkata, kolkatta, music