search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Asian Forums > India > Metropolitan Projects > Kolkata

Kolkata Project news for Kolkata Metropolitan Region - Kolkata, Howrah, Bidhan Nagar (Salt Lake), Nabadiganta (Sector V), New Town, Kalyani

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 19th, 2011, 08:15 AM   #121
studdmanster
<!error detected>

Likes (Received): 17661

Quote:
Originally Posted by samrat_m View Post
Big Bazaar (11)
@ Baguihati VIP Road, Metropolis Mall, Mani Karn EM Bypass, Gangulybagan, Sealdah, Salt Lake IB Blk, Esplanade, Birati, Tikiapara Howrah, Salkia, Diamond Harbour
Big Bazaar, Diamond Harbour has just taken up land, its opposite Thakurpukur PS and Tikiapara outlet has downed it shutters about 6 months ago!!

ADD: Fashion @ Big Bazaar @ Mani Square Mall..

Kevin_Brown liked this post
studdmanster no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 19th, 2011, 09:39 PM   #122
arijeetb
Arijeet

Likes (Received): 319

Quote:
Originally Posted by studdmanster View Post
Big Bazaar, Diamond Harbour has just taken up land, its opposite Thakurpukur PS and Tikiapara outlet has downed it shutters about 6 months ago!!

The Big bazaar model is perfect for cost conscious Kolkata . I am guessing Kolkata has the largest number of BB/FB stores in the country ? From 11 now, I am hoping for atleast 25 more outlets in KMA by 2020.
arijeetb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2011, 09:44 PM   #123
arijeetb
Arijeet

Quote:
There's currently 4 Spencer's large format outlets in Kolkata
@ South City Mall
@ Mani Square Mall
@ Rashbehari Avenue
@ Axis Mall
So I guess The CK Blk store was not launched. However, if it is a small format one, the ones present in many suburbs of the city, then it might be there..
@samrat - The La Vida mall in CK which was supposed to house Spencers is lying in a unfinished kind of state for two years now. Wrong format, wrong location etc could be some of the reasons for this. IMO what SL needs is an expansion of City Center in the vicinity ( that would include parking space as well) , something that Forum has successfully replicated with Courtyard

Spencers is trying to do away with the neighbourhood small format stores since the model has not worked for them so far. I thought they did away with all the small formats, right ?
Old June 19th, 2011, 09:47 PM   #124
samrat_m

Likes (Received): 2098

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumanb View Post
Another retail chain, Globus is opening its first store in Kolkata at Axis Mall.
Yes, and also in Lake Mall.
samrat_m no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2011, 09:52 PM   #125
samrat_m

Quote:

Thanx
Mani Square & also RD Mall in Liluah, I missed out.
So, Tikiapara is out (probably shifted to RD Mall).
That makes 12 big bazaar in Kol.
Also, slated for opening @ Lake Mall when its complete.
Old June 19th, 2011, 10:14 PM   #126
samrat_m

Quote:
Originally Posted by arijeetb View Post
The Big bazaar model is perfect for cost conscious Kolkata . I am guessing Kolkata has the largest number of BB/FB stores in the country ? From 11 now, I am hoping for atleast 25 more outlets in KMA by 2020.
Yes, very true. As you see Kol already has the highest no of Stores & couple more are on the anvil pretty soon.
I the value segment, both Big Bazaar & Spencer's are doing top notch business, though Spencer's actually is a standard higher than BB, because of its world food section & product variety mix. Thus they have aggressive expansion for Kolkata.
BTW, Luxury & Lifestyle is great guns too. 30% of Future group's Pantaloons chain National revenue comes from East Zone (5 states & 10 stores) out of which 5 is in Kolkata (source: friend in operations dept @ Pantaloon retail ind ltd).
Shoppers Stop recorded a gross profit of 86 crores for 2010-11 from its 3 stores in Kolkata (third placed), Delhi/NCR second (169 crores from 7 stores) & Mumbai (214 crores from 7 stores) in revenues (source: A CA firm known to me who does their accounts)

Kolkata as of today is an established & sought after market for big players in Retail.
Old June 19th, 2011, 10:26 PM   #127
samrat_m

Quote:
@samrat - The La Vida mall in CK which was supposed to house Spencers is lying in a unfinished kind of state for two years now. Wrong format, wrong location etc could be some of the reasons for this. IMO what SL needs is an expansion of City Center in the vicinity ( that would include parking space as well) , something that Forum has successfully replicated with Courtyard

Spencers is trying to do away with the neighbourhood small format stores since the model has not worked for them so far. I thought they did away with all the small formats, right ?
No, not fully. They have still kept them alive in few big cities like Bang, Kol, Chn, Hyd & tier II cities like Jaipur, Vizag, Cochin etc. But their numbers have decreased significantly. Kol, currently has about 12 of them..
Old June 19th, 2011, 10:39 PM   #128
samrat_m

RIL plans wholesale in the lines of Metro C & C

Reliance Retail already has some presence here through small format 'Reliance Fresh' stores & specialty category stores like 'Reliance Digitall', 'Reliance TimeOut' & 'Reliance Trends'.
Now they plan big.
http://www.telegraphindia.com/111061...y_14132346.jsp
Old June 19th, 2011, 11:43 PM   #129
arijeetb
Arijeet

Quote:
No, not fully. They have still kept them alive in few big cities like Bang, Kol, Chn, Hyd & tier II cities like Jaipur, Vizag, Cochin etc. But their numbers have decreased significantly. Kol, currently has about 12 of them..
thanks! 12 is a still a good number but pale in comparison to Blr/Hyd etc where the small formats of various companies are present in large numbers along with the hypermart formats. For example Reliance Fresh has < 5 outlets in Kol ?? where there were than 50 outlets each in Bangalore and Hyderabad. Also "More" from Aditya Birla closed down stores in kolkata after running into losses while they did well in other cites.

In general I think there is a preference for a large section of the population to shop in municipal markets in Kolkata compared to other large cities and the presence of a huge hawker scene outside all these markets gives a lot of choice for the customer.
Old June 19th, 2011, 11:47 PM   #130
arijeetb
Arijeet

Quote:
Kolkata as of today is an established & sought after market for big players in Retail.
I hope all the big players plan large scale expansion in Bengal. Tomorrow once FDI in retail is a reality, I am sure Walmart/Carrefour will do well in the state and I hope the state govt considers all the benefits and allows MNCs to setup shop here.
Old June 20th, 2011, 12:15 AM   #131
samrat_m

Quote:
thanks! 12 is a still a good number but pale in comparison to Blr/Hyd etc where the small formats of various companies are present in large numbers along with the hypermart formats. For example Reliance Fresh has < 5 outlets in Kol ?? where there were than 50 outlets each in Bangalore and Hyderabad. Also "More" from Aditya Birla closed down stores in kolkata after running into losses while they did well in other cites.

In general I think there is a preference for a large section of the population to shop in municipal markets in Kolkata compared to other large cities and the presence of a huge hawker scene outside all these markets gives a lot of choice for the customer.
Yes, That's why Spencer's small stores, Reliance fresh & More, the ones specifically into food, groceries & vegetables have not done that well. In Kolkata there are many more options for these as you suggested. The only exception probably is Food Bazaar from Future group who not only has great presence (about 24 odd), but also done exceedingly well.

P.S. Future group started their business with Kolkata, when big retail format was still a myth in India
India's 1st Pantaloon store @ Gariahat Road in 1995
India's First BB/FB @ VIP Road in 1999.
I have seen Biyani in a number of interviews, and he clearly possesses an extra affinity towards Kolkata.

Last edited by samrat_m; June 20th, 2011 at 12:24 AM.
Old June 20th, 2011, 05:47 AM   #132
mountaincloud
mountaincloud

Likes (Received): 462

Quote:
Yes, That's why Spencer's small stores, Reliance fresh & More, the ones specifically into food, groceries & vegetables have not done that well. In Kolkata there are many more options for these as you suggested. The only exception probably is Food Bazaar from Future group who not only has great presence (about 24 odd), but also done exceedingly well.

P.S. Future group started their business with Kolkata, when big retail format was still a myth in India
India's 1st Pantaloon store @ Gariahat Road in 1995
India's First BB/FB @ VIP Road in 1999.
I have seen Biyani in a number of interviews, and he clearly possesses an extra affinity towards Kolkata.
My experience with hometown in rajarhat was very bad. I hope 100% FDI in Retail comes soon enough, and IKEA comes to Kolkata.

Kolkata/ WB needs world class institutes of design and architecture.
mountaincloud no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2011, 09:34 AM   #133
Sumanb

Likes (Received): 39

Quote:
Thanx
Mani Square & also RD Mall in Liluah, I missed out.
So, Tikiapara is out (probably shifted to RD Mall).
That makes 12 big bazaar in Kol.
Also, slated for opening @ Lake Mall when its complete.
Big Bazar has closed the 'Mani Karn, EM Bye Pass' store after they have opened the new Big Bazar in SL. They are opening a 'Brand Factory' format in that space instead.
Sumanb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2011, 09:36 AM   #134
Sumanb

Likes (Received): 39

Quote:

That's because the entire Kolkata is a Bazar thanks to anybody's ability to seat anywhere and sale.
Sumanb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2011, 10:03 AM   #135
studdmanster
<!error detected>

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumanb View Post
Big Bazar has closed the 'Mani Karn, EM Bye Pass' store after they have opened the new Big Bazar in SL. They are opening a 'Brand Factory' format in that space instead.
So one more Brand Factory, that makes 2!!

Old June 20th, 2011, 10:06 AM   #136
studdmanster
<!error detected>

Quote:

I had seen a More outlet @ Free School Street, last Friday, (the one before the rainy day), it also has a subway outlet in it!!

Old June 20th, 2011, 10:15 AM   #137
studdmanster
<!error detected>

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountaincloud View Post
My experience with hometown in rajarhat was very bad. I hope 100% FDI in Retail comes soon enough, and IKEA comes to Kolkata.

Kolkata/ WB needs world class institutes of design and architecture.
I guess in 2008/09 there was a news that IKEA would be opening up an outlet @ the place where the Vodafone Shoppe has come up in Park Street, dont know y it wasnt opened, newys if they could open it now, @ some othr location, it wont b bad enuf!!

Old June 20th, 2011, 10:17 AM   #138
studdmanster
<!error detected>

IS THERE ANY PLANS FOR LIFESTYLE TO OPEN AN OUTLET IN KOL?? AND CENTRAL...CENTRAL is of future group only!!

Old June 20th, 2011, 02:28 PM   #139
soumalya747

Likes (Received): 1903

GLOBAS is going to open its first store in Axis Mall. But I am also waiting for CENTRAL. Lets see when it will come up in Kolkata.
soumalya747 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2011, 07:48 PM   #140
samrat_m

Quote:
IS THERE ANY PLANS FOR LIFESTYLE TO OPEN AN OUTLET IN KOL?? AND CENTRAL...CENTRAL is of future group only!!
Regd 'Central' please refer to post #4863 in Kol cityscape thread, where me, Sun & arijeet were discussing.

Tags
calcutta, india, kolkata, malls, theatre, west bengal