search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Asian Forums > India > Infrastructure & Transportation > Railways and Transportation

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 19th, 2011, 07:46 PM   #21
Ashis Mitra

Likes (Received): 1046

Quote:
Originally Posted by studdmanster View Post
Or is it for the Museum??
YOU MAY BE RIGHT.

Iíve returned FOR THE ANSWER OF bandhu.

When most tram towns/cities have gradually improved more or less their tramway infrastructure, Kolkata is much behind of them.

All we know that it uses many backdated features, like trollypole, shutter-less doors, frontside net, shabby ugly looking iron-made destination board etc. etc. They are almost 50 years back in view of tram. Neglecting over years, many roots were closed, and they are increasing losses year by year.

Former transport minister Shri Shyamal Chakrabarty was almost decided to dismantle the network. Later minister late Subhash Chakrabarty was not so cruel, but he gave us a lot of hipocracy.

So in view of such type of backdated features & losses, it is ALMOST impossible to convert the network to a modern way. There were many ambitious plans like underground tram or elevated tram in past, but nothing materialized.

Initally the plan was to relaying tram tracks over the Taratala flyover, but then the road (from Majherhat towards Diamondharbour) was converted to NH, which not allows tram tracks. And now we are looking that due to lack of space, it creates problem to build elevated metro line in Taratala.

So combining these reasons, it was not possible to relaying tram tracks from Mominpur to Joka. The only solution is elevated rail transport, may be metro or others.

Tere were many plans Ė
1) First, a suburban elevated rail line from Majherhat to Thakurpukur.
2) Then, a light rail route from Joka to Barrackpur. (MD. SALIMíS ELECTION STUNT)
3) Finally, the metro route from Joka to Binay Badal Dinesh Bag.

I hope finally the metro will complete its construction.
Ashis Mitra no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 31st, 2011, 03:16 PM   #22
Ashis Mitra

UPDATES:-
1) From today, all types of 3 & 4 wheelers would be diversed from Kadaparha to Swabhumi due to digging of underground tunnel for line 2. It includes all buses, taxis, cars, lorries, auto-rickshaws etc.

2) Again from today, metro company has started issuing tokens only. Magnetic paper tickets have completely ended from today. Tockens are the best way of fare collection. But commuters PLEASE DON’T FORGET TO SUBMIT THOSE ON EXIT-TIME, AND DON’T COLLECT THOSE FOR YOUR HOME COLLECTION. SAVE OUR METRO.

After long 25 years we’re getting a new tram route, which will be 18. It will not be a physically new route, but a new numbering.

But keep in mind that this route is also not fully new. Almost 35 years ago, there was route 18. It was running between Park Circus and (now closed) Haorha Station terminus. The routeway was via present route 21. Route 21 was previously running via Rajib Gandhi Sarani & Hare Street. When both roads were closed for tram in 1995 (due to foolishly half-concretisation), route 21 along with route 30 diversed to the current way (i.e. via Mahatma Gandhi Road, Rabindra Sarani & Lalbazar Street) . However route 18 was closed many years before closure of Rajib Gandhi Sarani & Hare Street.

The new route 18 will start running from 1st August between Ultodingi & Haorha Bridge.

Tram Company is also planning to restart some closed routes. Who knows, one day they may be start running tram again on Bentinck Street, Hare Street, Rajib Gandhi Sarani, Maharshi Debendra Road etc.

NOTE:-
The Bidhannagar tram terminus is said wrongly. The Place is actually Ultodingi (not Ultodanga, which is another common error). Bidhannagar is actually the official name of Saltlake. The adjuscent rail station’s name is Bidhannagar Road (formerly Ultodingi Road almost 30 years ago). This station named after adjuscent road, which was formerly Ultodingi Main Road (also 30 years ago). Collocully, Kolkatans deleted ROAD, and started saying Bidhannagar to this place. But this is absolutely wrong. The place is ULTODINGI, Bidhannagar is Saltlake. So we should say Ultodongi tram terminus.

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1404966

This international thread was created by me. All can post as much as possible about Kolkata’s tram & metro, for informing the world about our great systems, and for improving & surviving. THIS IS A GREAT CHANCE.
Old August 3rd, 2011, 03:37 PM   #23
Ashis Mitra

A great shame has occurred for Kolkata, by damaging tram service.

i've no way but write this long post dividing in 2 parts.

]On last post I wrote that Iím very happy for opening new tram route 18, but it was vanished like camphor, when On 1st August 2011, I went to B.B.D Bag for some work. At the time of returning to my home at Rajabazar, I saw not a single tram is going towards Boubazar. Being confused, I went to the office of tram terminus, and saw a notice, which informs us that Ė DUE TO SMOOTHER TRANSPORTATION, KOLKATA POLICE HAS EXPERIMENTALLY STOPPED ALL TRAM SERVICE FROM B.B.D BAG TO MIRZAPUR VIA BOWBAZAR STREET & AMHERST STREET. As a result, tram route 2, 6, 14 & 16 has starting diversion via Dharmatala & Moula Ali.

Reading this notice, most daily passengers including me was very much shocked, because-
1) The said route i.e. B.B.D Bag Ė Lalbazar Ė Boubazar Ė Lebutala Ė Shraddhananda Park Ė Mirzapur route is the most popular tram route of Kolkata. Many passengers use this route for returning from B.B.D Bag towards Sealdah Station. Almost half of them get down at Lebutala to walking towards Sealdah via Kole Market Area. Rest of them gets down Near Jagat Cinema at Mirzapur for the same reason. Beside them many people, living near B.B.Ganguly Street & R.R.M.Roy Sarani use this route very much, because this is only served by tram. Due to this reason, trams are crowded very much especially after 4 p.m.
2) Not only office goers & businessmen, but also in early morning/noon, school students also prefer this route by tram. Tram is ideal for children, women & senior citizens, who cannot travel in a rough packed up bus.
3) Tram is very much comfortable & breezy than bus. It is also a totally pollution free transportation. Running tram decreases air-pollution, particularly in such a polluted city like Kolkata.
4) I read on some newspapers that Honorable Transport Minister told to CTC to stand on their own foot. WB Govt will stop all loss-filling step by step. So they must try hard to raise their revenue. But how it will be possible by closing such REALLY PROFITABLE tram routes?

As a result, I saw in my own eye that most people donít like to go towards Sealdah diverting via Dharmatala & Moula Ali by tram. It will be much time consuming, so they are forcefully switching to bus. People use the original route because of less time consuming. Why they will go via Dharmatala & Moula Ali by tram? They will reach at Sealdah much faster by bus via Maharan Pratap Sarani, College Street & Surya Sen Street.

So it is clear that INTENTIONALLY police (and government) is trying to rising loss of CTC. As a result, people will have no way other than forcefully transforming to bus, which will result us a very painful, fierce & polluted daily journey.

As they are saying that downstream tram is causing traffic jam in B.B. Ganguly Street, it is absolutely wrong. Both side of the street is full of illegal parking. If they remove those cars, the street will be wider, and other vehicles could move much easier.

If they really strong about traffic jam, I suggest that tram maybe stopped between 9 A.M. to 4 P.M, but before & after that tram running will not create any problem. Before 9 A.M. traffic flow is lower than office time, which mainly includes some morning schools. After 4 P.M. most vehicles goes towards Sealdah, not towards B.B.D Bag. Automobiles use Maharan Pratap Sarani, College Street & Surya Sen Street, so tram running will not be in trouble. Most people avoid bus for unhealthy journey, and choose tram for eco-friend, breezy & quicke journey. A bus will move slowly in comparison of tram from B.B.D Bag to Shraddhananda Park due to dense traffic jam throughout Maharana Pratap Sarani.

I was no way than returning home by tram. My co-passenger had already started sending protest message to FACEBOOK.
Old August 3rd, 2011, 03:41 PM   #24
Ashis Mitra

Kolkata has only 6.5% road, and heavily populated city. As a result transportation is creating many problems. Rapidly increasing number of automobiles are increasing pollution rapidly.

The only solution is electric rail transport including (metro, monorail, light-rail & tram). It is followed worldwide. They are completely eco-friendly, long-term profitable, disciplined & passenger friendly.

We donít know why light rail & monorail projects have cancelled, despite their laying of foundation stone. We have metro, but it is only in one route through 3.5 decades, which serves only a single part of our city. After many decades, this line is extending with five other routes, but only two of them will solve the city centreís traffic problem (Line 2 & 3). Other lines will serve far areas like Barrackpur, Barasat, Jyotinagar, so main traffic problems of main city will not solve so much.

We have tram, which once blanketed our city. Bandhaghat, Shibpur, Nimtala, High court, Joka routes has closed for some fake reasons. Due to KMRC work, KMC work, many routes like Bagbazar, Park circus, Baliganj, Tollyganj are halted, and at last the most profitable route is now stopped from B.B.D Bag to Purabi Cinema, which will increase more air-pollution of Kolkata.

In Kolkata, private bus authorities often calls strikes for various reasons, and due to lack of sufficient govt. buses, we passengers get strange condition. We havenít city wide metro like Hong Kong, Shanghai etc., and closure of tram lines creates very dangerous situation. Those who closes tram-lines, are not thinking the problems of common-people, because they are uncommon. Just think, if we have a dense network of tram & metro, who cares about the frequent bus strikes?

We canít stop price rising of petroleum, and as a result bus/taxi fare, but price rise of electricity is much lower, so tram & metro fare will be cheaper than bus.

Transport Minister is saying that govt. will stop helping CTC & others in future, and they should increase earning, but how it will be possible? Closure of such profitable route will decrease earning, so increasing loss, so CTC will be more poor, and at last the loss of KOLKATANs.

Kolkata has much less empty & green space. So if air-pollution will increase on such pace, where will we go? How will be our future generation?

New government is trying to make Kolkata like London, but do they know that London has a dense 420 Km. metro network with a feeder tram network? Most European & other cities has returned or are returning tram, like BUENOS AIRES, MADRID, WASHINGTON, PARIS, TUNIS, ALGIERS, SYDNEY, ISTANBUL, SHANGHAI, TIANJIN, LONDON are few of them. They are returning them as a massive error correction, but why we will do the same error as they do 50 years before?

My proposal is, at first create a dense metro network like London etc. then do these eccentric decisions like closures 7 curtailing of tram routes.

I know most forumers will tease me. I donít care. IF IT IS WRONG TO SEE DREAM OF A CLEAN, GREAN, and HEALTHY KOLKATA AS A 34 YEAR OLD KOLKATAN, I WILL DO THIS WRONG THINGS OVER AND OVER.

I hope all reader will realize the danger. Please, please start protesting from now. Iíve already conversed with CTC today.
Here is the link - http://www.calcuttatramways.com/comments.htm#9
Their e-mail address:- E-mail : [email protected]

Iíll send this protest letter to all newspapers and all TV channels, Iíll also send paper-letter & fax to them. Iíll phone them.
If the solution will not be solved, Iíll write to Kolkata Police, to Transport Minister, to Chief Minister. Iíll talk with Mayor & KMC. Iíll go to the last as far as I can. I expect many forumers will agree with me, it will get best result if we protest jointly. Iím not afraid if Iíll be in jail.

Friends, please think our past. How Kolkata was clean & green. Donít you want to be proud as a Kolkatan? So why youíre getting late? Go down to FACEBOOK, ORKUT, and TWITTER etc. Make aware as much as you can to your neighbors and others. IíVE NO ACCOUNTS ON THOSE SITES.

Best of luck to all. Hope youíll support me.

Ashis Mitra, age 34, location Ė Rajabazar / Krishnapur.
Old August 3rd, 2011, 03:50 PM   #25
Cosmicbliss

Likes (Received): 368

Ashish kudos to you. Tagore once said something to the effect of "go alone if no one is willing to go with you". Please take it as an inspiration. Transport always needs to be multi-modal-bus+metro+monorail+tram+autos+taxis+cycle tracks+integrated urban planning that sees public transport as the core of urban growth. Unfortunately, if urban planning and transport are not integrated, then transport needs can never be met.
Cosmicbliss no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2011, 08:27 PM   #26
khatbhej
The Anglophile

Likes (Received): 0

@Ashis Mitra: You need to cool your head a little bit. You're just 34, they say life starts at 40..

I read what you wrote, though personally I wonder how many people actually use trams now. You probably mentioned that the "most profitable" route was also closed down. This explains the need for their closure - they are hardly profitable!

In today's fast life, trams have no place. I mean if you do some brisk walking a tram would probably have a hard time keeping up with you. Trams are part of our heritage, that's why they should be there. They should be there to relax and tour the city, not to act as a support system to the metro.

You wont be in jail unless you do a "Tram Satyagraha" or a "Tram March". As a citizen, you definitely have the right to demand for something! But then, "improper" means might get you into trouble, much like Baba Tramdev oops Ramdev..

I feel tram won't make our city green, it will only end up making lanes narrower and cause more chaos bcoz trams ply right on the road, where cars & buses fight to death for space. What would really solve our problems are more metro routes, more coaches per metro, articulated buses, and finally, a compulsory-CNG rule like Delhi.
Old August 3rd, 2011, 09:01 PM   #27
sgups

Likes (Received): 48

Trams can actually be quite fast. There is a reason trams (or streetcars as they are called) have made a comeback in several north american cities and many european cities are expanding their use. However, there is a specific use case for them. In mixed-traffic conditions, they have severe constraints (e.g cow on track, handcarts etc.) and that derails their effectiveness. In right areas where transit demand is in between bus & metro, trams are the right answer to provide public transit.

So, if they are closing tram lines down, hopefully they are replacing it with adequate levels of other transit (e.g. bus) or expanded metro. If they are not doing that and not choosing to upgrade the trams, then it is a bad decision
sgups no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2011, 09:26 PM   #28
Suncity
By the ocean

Likes (Received): 13915

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashis Mitra View Post
Hope you’ll support me.[/SIZE]
Ashis, I read your posts about Kolkata trams with interest.

I had used trams regularly for six years in Kolkata and I enjoyed the leisurely pace (was a student at that time). The city despite its shoddiness looked so charming through the wide open windows. The fan breeze was a bonus. There were problems of course occassionally. So I think I understand the sentimental attachment to trams.

Recently in Zurich I rode a lot of trams and it was fun. They are of course more modern and they have an excellent public transportation system.

The whole transportation system in Kolkata needs an overhaul - from proper traffic management, well trained honest and strict cops (not corrupt), citizens who obey traffic rules and do not try to bribe their way out of traffic violation charges or indulge in name dropping (Janish ami ke? Dada ke chinish?). And good quality roads. A lot of the traffic problems of today will disappear. That could take away some of the issues of low road space and trams can share the road too with other vehicles.

I read in the newspapers that the govt has some ideas like running ac trams for tourists, also run restaurant trams (this is a good idea) as the tram takes you around Kolkata. Basically value added stuff like this has to be done to increase revenues. In this season of committees and white papers, why not appoint a "committee" with "intellectuals" to look into the tram issue?

It is good that you are doing something for a cause you care for. So best of luck.
Suncity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2011, 04:57 AM   #29
sabya99

Likes (Received): 3

If tram have a dedicated line and space it could be a high speed transport. In my college days tram service between Ballygunge and Park Circus/ Kalighat, Moidan / Alipour area were really fast and people used to enjoy them. But now these tram lines are concretized. As a result more Amby and Maruti run on these space than tram. There are high speed tram connection in Amsterdam, Frankfurt, Hydelburg but nowhere tram line interferes with city car traffic. Bottom line is days of tram cars in Kolkata are numbered!
sabya99 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2011, 09:09 AM   #30
kol2kol

Likes (Received): 4

Trams can be fast too

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabya99 View Post
If tram have a dedicated line and space it could be a high speed transport. In my college days tram service between Ballygunge and Park Circus/ Kalighat, Moidan / Alipour area were really fast and people used to enjoy them. But now these tram lines are concretized. As a result more Amby and Maruti run on these space than tram. There are high speed tram connection in Amsterdam, Frankfurt, Hydelburg but nowhere tram line interferes with city car traffic. Bottom line is days of tram cars in Kolkata are numbered!
I also agree to this. Before concretization of tram tracks, there used to be a lot of people who used trams. I think the people who are talking against trams haven't really rode one .... they just travel by bus, and they think the trams are coming on their way. I stay in Behala, and I can vouch that a lot of people used to travel between Joka, and Behala before they removed the lines for Metro construction. In fact, since the tram tracks between Joka and behala were dedicated lanes, travelling by TRAM WAS FASTER than by bus/auto. Only the number of service was less, and occupancy was less, since communication to office areas (read BBDBag) wasn't possible (trams ended at Behala) - not because they ran slow, but because commuters would have to switch to another bus at behala to reach BBDBag, which was cumbersome.

I'm sure since the concretization is mostly complete, if the Govt re-indroduces the tram services, there'd be a lot of adoption, and sceptics would not be put to rest.
kol2kol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2011, 06:38 PM   #31
khatbhej
The Anglophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by anamitra View Post
What Kolkata needs to have is a single agency to run all Government bus/tram/metro services, so that changing the communication media does not raise journey fare.
I read somewhere about integration of transport media in future, so its definitely on the cards. I believe it would only be between the metro & public bus routes.

Quote:
Also, new fast trams from companies like Siemens or Bambardier should be procured and trams must be run through dedicated lanes.
We don't even have Bombardier metro rakes, forget trams
There's hardly any space left for dedicated tram lines IMO.

Quote:
Strangely, the erstwhile communist government took the American way by privatizing the buses and creating various companies/modes of communication. As a result everything fell apart.
Because of privatisation, we have a better-knit city. For eg, hundreds of buses run through Ruby Golpark, and not even 50% of them are public buses.
Privatisation gives choices and destroys monopoly. Railways & Defence sectors need to be privatised now.
Old August 7th, 2011, 03:28 PM   #32
Ashis Mitra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy_ghosh02 View Post
Guys..............This is Kolkata metro thread, but I think we discuss everything here except Kolkata metro................................
UNTIL BANGALIS COULD NOT INTEGRATE IDEAS OF TRAM & METRO AT THE SAME TIME, KOLKATA WILL NOT BE AN LIVE & GREEN CITY.

FORGET ABOUT MAKING LONDON, LONDON SHOULD BE COMPARED WITH DELHI.

KOLKATA SHOULD BE COMPARED WITH SAPPORO, HONGKONG, TORONTO, ROTTERDAM, RIO DE JANEIRO, KHARKIV, MILANO, LILLE, MUNICH, BARCELONA & KAZAN, for how to blanketing the city by a proper metro & tram network, and ruducing number of automobiles including bus.

I'll return soon for some more message. I've planned to go some newspaper's office & will send some letters to them. I'll also xontact with TV channels.

visit this websites for some great idea about urgban rail transport.
1) www.subways.net
2) www.urbanrail.net
3) www.lrta.org

UPDATE:-
Due to high cost, Chandigarh is now thinking replace its metro plan by tram.
Old August 7th, 2011, 03:44 PM   #33
Ashis Mitra

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgups View Post
Trams can actually be quite fast. There is a reason trams (or streetcars as they are called) have made a comeback in several north american cities and many european cities are expanding their use. However, there is a specific use case for them. In mixed-traffic conditions, they have severe constraints (e.g cow on track, handcarts etc.) and that derails their effectiveness. In right areas where transit demand is in between bus & metro, trams are the right answer to provide public transit.

So, if they are closing tram lines down, hopefully they are replacing it with adequate levels of other transit (e.g. bus) or expanded metro. If they are not doing that and not choosing to upgrade the trams, then it is a bad decision
Expanding metro like Shanghai is very much costly. How Kolkata can do that? Kolkata even expanding metro mainly towards outside, but it will not solve our city centre traffic solution.

Opening of metro line 2 is planned on 2014, till then, tram service on Bowbazar Street towards Sealdah must be improved.
Old August 7th, 2011, 03:56 PM   #34
Ashis Mitra

Quote:
Originally Posted by debayanlahiri View Post
I am not too sure as I did not visit the area since long. The pics were taken from Greenfield City's website. They keep updating their website with pics showing the progress of the Joka - BBD Bag Metro!

The metro is coming up on the dedicated tram corridor. I am told that the tram lines would be relaid and tram services would resume on completion of the metro construction. However, I personally do not see any business need.
In this case, I think tram must not returned between Mominpur & Joka, because of substituing by metro. But running tram from Wattganj to Baliganj & Tollyganj must be started soon.
Old August 7th, 2011, 04:02 PM   #35
Ashis Mitra

Quote:
Originally Posted by khatbhej View Post
I have no idea about the Tram scene, friend. I believe trams should be completely removed from the roads and taken above. elevated tram tracks along the medians would be a great idea, as people who are feeling lazy and want to just sit and observe the city's landscape, architecture and fast life can do so without sitting in an unwanted disturbance in the middle of the road. trams are worse than autos, but we dont feel so as they are fewer in numbers.

maidan area would be an excellent place to start a pilot project of elevated tram, it would promote tourism and bring in the moolahs, as the maidan area is home to the majestic british history of kolkata.

tram as a mode of transport is clearly not making sense among the people now. it needs to be marketed smartly, otherwise we are facing at erasing a large chunk of history from the city streets forever.
In world, Istanbul returned tram after 3 dacades in 1992, and opened metro in 2000.
Shanghai & Tianjin returned rubber-tired tram around 2007 on outer side as a feeder service with metro, which opened in nineties.

Chandigarh is replacing its plan of metro by tram.

Do all they are foolish? and we are the most clever, so destroying our city?
Old August 12th, 2011, 07:33 PM   #36
Ashis Mitra

Quote:
Originally Posted by khatbhej View Post
@Ashis Mitra: You need to cool your head a little bit. You're just 34, they say life starts at 40..

I read what you wrote, though personally I wonder how many people actually use trams now. You probably mentioned that the "most profitable" route was also closed down. This explains the need for their closure - they are hardly profitable!

In today's fast life, trams have no place. I mean if you do some brisk walking a tram would probably have a hard time keeping up with you. Trams are part of our heritage, that's why they should be there. They should be there to relax and tour the city, not to act as a support system to the metro.

You wont be in jail unless you do a "Tram Satyagraha" or a "Tram March". As a citizen, you definitely have the right to demand for something! But then, "improper" means might get you into trouble, much like Baba Tramdev oops Ramdev..

I feel tram won't make our city green, it will only end up making lanes narrower and cause more chaos bcoz trams ply right on the road, where cars & buses fight to death for space. What would really solve our problems are more metro routes, more coaches per metro, articulated buses, and finally, a compulsory-CNG rule like Delhi.
I thought I must answer to you.

Yes, it is true that many people donít use tram, but also many people use it. If you go to Dharmatala / Binay-Badal-Dinesh Bag on any working day, you could see that many passengers are waiting for tram especially returning towards Shialdaha. Haorha Bridge route is also popular, mainly for businessmen & workers of Barhabazar. Side by side trams are very popular especially on one way roads, i.e. College Street, Lenin Sarani etc. Some routes where bus service is inadequate like Elliot Road, Rafi Ahmed Kidwai Road trams are often highly crowded. Some green routes like Duffrin Road are also popular because of breezy alignment. Hence some routes are closed, and there are many bus routes around the city, tram has lost many passengers, and stolen by bus. Many passengers also switched to metro as an eco-friendly rapid replacement, tram also lost passengers. But still now there are many regular passengers of tramway.

In past many really profitable routes are closed, like Haorha Station, Bentinck Street, Nimtala, High court etc. There were many (fake) causes, like flyover, road-repairing, traffic-jam etc. Former transport minister Mr. Shyamal Chakrabarty almost decided to dismantle the network. During shameless party-lobbying, CTC was neglected through many years especially in early nineties. As I told before, closure of many profitable routes actually gave advantages to bus industries, which were also mainly supported my CITU. Iíll be not wondered if bus industries also gave pressure to halting tram service from BBD Bag to Purabi, due to stealing of bus passengers??!! So this route was really profitable. You probably wrote that because you havenít commuted through route 14 almost daily like me.

In many cities around the world, like VIENNA, MINSK, BRUSSELS, RIO DE JANEIRO, SOFIA, TORONTO, DALIAN, HONGKONG, PRAGUE, HELSINKI, MARSELLIE, BERLIN, MUNICH, NUREMBERG, BUDAPEST, MILAN, NAPLES, ROME, SAPPORO, TOKYO, MEXICO CITY, AMSTERDAM, ROTTERDAM, OSLO, WARSAW, LISBON, BUCHAREST, CHELYABINSK, KAZAN, KRASNOYARK, MOSCOW, NIZHNI-NOVGOROD, NOVOSIBIRSK, SAINT PETERSBERG, YEKATERINBURG, BARCELONA, STOCKHOLM, DNIPROPETROVSK, KHARKIV, KIEV, PHILADELPHIA, SANFRANSISCO, TASHKENT etc. is running tram continuously over hundred year. All these cities also have metro. Both systems are integrated, and peoples easily switch from one to another. You know that all these cities are much advanced, rich and fast than KOLKATA, but they didnít closed tram network, or fully replaced by metro.

Some cities like BUENOS AIRES, SHANGHAI, TIANJIN, LYON, PARIS, ATHENS, PYONGYANG, BILBAO, MADRID, VALENCIA, LAUSANNE, ISTANBUL, LONDON etc. once have a good tram network, but they closed foolishly during sixties for thinking that metro will solve all problems, but despite all these cities has a good metro network, they again returned tram after late eighties, and now tram of these cities are acting as a feeder service of metro. You also know that all these cities are also much advanced, rich and fast than KOLKATA, but they have returned tram, despite they have sufficient metro.

Beside those cities, some cities like ALGIERS, BRASILIA, HAMBURG, DELHI, MUMBAI, ALMATY, DUBAI etc. which once closed their network, or earlier only had metro, they are constructing or planning new tramway network. You also know that all these cities are also much advanced, rich and fast than KOLKATA, but they are returning tram, because they are not satisfied with metro.

All these cities are returning and continuing of tram is mainly for a low-cost eco-friendly mass transport. They are making those cities clean, green, smart, and civilized. Metro is much costlier, although Iím not against metro. Kolkata is still poor city comparing with other Indian cities. We canít create much metro lines like Shanghai very quickly, but we can only do that step by step. It will be a time & cost consuming matter, till then we can easily improve our 125+ years tram network, by simply following the transport plan of those cities I wrote above.

Narrow roads are ideal for tram, cycle & walker. We should stop in-fact running buses on these roads, and must increase high headway of tram service. Here are some photos of narrow street serving by tram in Rio de Janeiro & Istanbul.

We must reduce number of buses & private cars to control the pollution. Articulated bus is another automobile which will create more pollution, like BRT. Using of CNG is also much costly, because it could come here only by laying a very long pipeline from Asansol. CNG will be suitable for Asansol, but not for Kolkata, because of high cost.

If we really solve our transport problem, we should need more central city serving metro routes, rather than serving outside areas.

IíLL BE PROUD IF YOU CALL ME BABA TRAMDEV.
Old August 12th, 2011, 07:34 PM   #37
Ashis Mitra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suncity View Post
Ashis, I read your posts about Kolkata trams with interest.

I had used trams regularly for six years in Kolkata and I enjoyed the leisurely pace (was a student at that time). The city despite its shoddiness looked so charming through the wide open windows. The fan breeze was a bonus. There were problems of course occassionally. So I think I understand the sentimental attachment to trams.

Recently in Zurich I rode a lot of trams and it was fun. They are of course more modern and they have an excellent public transportation system.

The whole transportation system in Kolkata needs an overhaul - from proper traffic management, well trained honest and strict cops (not corrupt), citizens who obey traffic rules and do not try to bribe their way out of traffic violation charges or indulge in name dropping (Janish ami ke? Dada ke chinish?). And good quality roads. A lot of the traffic problems of today will disappear. That could take away some of the issues of low road space and trams can share the road too with other vehicles.

I read in the newspapers that the govt has some ideas like running ac trams for tourists, also run restaurant trams (this is a good idea) as the tram takes you around Kolkata. Basically value added stuff like this has to be done to increase revenues. In this season of committees and white papers, why not appoint a "committee" with "intellectuals" to look into the tram issue?

It is good that you are doing something for a cause you care for. So best of luck.
Suncity, I still havenít see the tramway systems of Switzerland including Zurich, I hope Iíll do that in future. But till now Iíve seen all tram & metro systems of Africa, Oceania, South America, Asia, Mexico & part of Europe. In a gist it is clear that despite massive closure of tram during fifties to seventies, trams started returning from mid eighties worldwide.

Youíre absolutely right about writing the solutions of transport & traffic problems of Kolkata, and youíre really suggestive about their solution. Iím also partially agreed of future thinking about introduction of AC trams/restaurant trams. I think new government is sharing these ideas from Melbourne, where tram network is the largest among southern hemisphere (245 Km.), and they also run AC/restaurant trams.

Your last suggestion is brilliant. Yes, like rail committee, our new government can also create a new committee about ĎTransportation Development of Kolkataí. I think it will be a great step.

Iíve already e-mailed to all newspapers. In last Tuesday, Iíve dropped letters to ANANDABAZAR, AJKAL, BARTAMAN, PRATIDIN, STATESMAN, PRATYAHIK KHABAR & SAKALBELA, among these, PRATYAHIK KHABAR has already published my letter in their daily newspaper on Thursday. Others may be published later, if they wish.

In next week, Iíll contact with all Bangla news channels about this subject, for making a strong report. Iíll inform all what I will do next.

IíM CERTAINLY NOT AGAINST METRO, BUT METRO IS COSTLY. UNTILL WE CANíT MAKE STRONG METRO NETWORK LIKE SHANGHAI, WE CAN IMPROVE OUR EXISTING TRAM NETWORK, WITH NOT VERY MUCH COST.
Old August 12th, 2011, 07:35 PM   #38
Ashis Mitra

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabya99 View Post
Sabya99, there should be some clarification between tram & light rail.

The main difference is that tram is mostly street running with unreserved track, with partly reserved track. Stops are also on street (Like College Street, M.G.Road etc.), so lower speed. Whereas light rail is almost on reserved track, like metro or train, with very little street running. Stops are on separate platformed stations (a small version of rail station). Due to almost fully segregated running, they got higher speed.

Please also keep in mind that in Canada & USA, trams are called streetcars, and cable-cars (ropeways) are called trams. In China, metro lines on surface/elevated called light rail because they understand that light rail means a rail running under (Sun/street) light !!!.

Like Switzerland, still I haven’t saw tram systems of Holland & Germany, but I heard that Amsterdam, Frankfurt & Heidelberg all are running trams since 19th Century and all are very much advanced.

Whereas new tram systems around the world like TUNIS, SYDNEY, BUENOS AIRES, PYONGYANG, ESKISEHIR, KAYSERI, SAMSUN, ISTANBUL etc. are opening tram lines as much as on reserved track with platforms, Kolkata is going on opposite direction to de-reserving tram tracks with concrete. Concreting is very ideal in narrow streets like R.G. Kar Road, Bidhan Sarani, Arabinda Sarani, College Street, Mahatma Gandhi Road, B.B. Ganguly Street, Surya Sen Street, R.R.M. Roy Sarani, Lenin Sarani, Elliot Road, Rafi Ahmed Kidwai Road, Mother Teresa Sarani, Rabindra Sarani, Hemanta Basu Sarani, B.G.Ghosh Sarani, Judge Court Road etc. i.e. mainly in North & Central Kolkata. In-fact after concreting of tram tracks on these roads, roads have also developed very much. But broad streets like A.P.C. Roy Road, Satin Sen Sarani, A.S.N. Basu Sarani, A.J.C. Basu Road, S.A.Ali Avenue, Ras Bihari Avenue, S.P.Mukhopadhyay Road, Deshapran Shasmal Road, Diamond Harbour Road, Karl Marx Sarani etc. i.e. mainly in South Kolkata got very dangerous tram riding. All these streets have lost their reserved tracks, where getting up & down from tram was very comfortable on stops. Now there are no reservations, you could go to catch a running tram by crossing fast moving automobile road, taking your life on your hand. The same situation happens when you’re getting down from a tram on middle of a broad, very busy road.

We all should apply to authority to introducing tram stops with platform & shed, like KMC is now doing in memory of 150th Birth Anniversary of Bishwakabi.

Only a high headway of tram running on wide roads could demand of returning reserved track of tramway. If we really love our city, we should demand it from our government.

Here are some photos of reserved track trams in Istanbul, & Shanghai, Tianjin:-

Istanbuls tram on reserved track narrow street

Istanbul's tram on narrow street with platform

Last edited by Ashis Mitra; August 12th, 2011 at 07:43 PM.
Old August 12th, 2011, 07:37 PM   #39
Ashis Mitra

Quote:
Originally Posted by anamitra View Post
There are fasttram services in many great cities of the world that partially run on train tracks and serve as streetcars for the rest of their routes just like Kolkata trams do. For example, Amsterdam Metro #51 is actually a sneltram. It runs on metro track from Amsterdam Centraal station using 3rd rail power supply. After Amsterdam Zuid (south) it raises pantograph, switches to tramline and shares route with other trams.

Similar integration of Train-Metro-Tram is visible mostly in Europe with Standard Gauge used for all modes of rail transport. It is also possible to inter operate using same ticket.

In US, tramways are called as light rails and there is no integration between different transport media. In New York, local trains are run by MTA (various railroad companies within like Metro North, LIRR etc) and NJTransit. Subway is run by MTA with a separate ticketing system. PATH train is an autonomous entity. Again, light rails are mostly scattered across NJ territory, owned by NJTransit. Each agency has its own ticketing system. Metrocards (Smart cards) are used to pay for Subway, PATH and MTA buses. But PATH over charges Metrocards. It is confusing to commute on different modes of transportation in New York unless one has the smart cards of each railway company he avails. And hence, a single ticket concept does not exist in New York, while this facility has always been available in Paris, Berlin or Amsterdam.

What Kolkata needs to have is a single agency to run all Government bus/tram/metro services, so that changing the communication media does not raise journey fare. Also, new fast trams from companies like Siemens or Bambardier should be procured and trams must be run through dedicated lanes.

Strangely, the erstwhile communist government took the American way by privatizing the buses and creating various companies/modes of communication. As a result everything fell apart.
Anamitra (your name partly resembles with my title), as I told before, I still not seen most European tram systems, but I heard that there are many cities around the world especially in Germany are running/making tram-cum-train. This is a hybrid vehicle. This transport uses same stock on mainline railway & tramway, without a single stopping/jerking or any difficulties. It is also called dual-mode transport. If first started in KARLSRUHE in 1991 and now some cities are running such type of vehicle. Some of them are PARIS, CHEMINTZ, HEILBRONN, SAARBRUCKEN, TOYAMA, etc.

Some cities like HASSELT, LIBEREC, MULHOUSE, NANTES, STRASSBOURG, BRAUNSHWEIG, GOUDA, CADIZ etc. are constructing such type of system.

There is a correction for you. New York has both metro & light metro. Light metro is named there as Air train. PATH is a suburban metro system which connects with suburb New Jersey.

In USA, tramways are not called light-rails. They are called as streetcars. Light rail is more advanced than many modern reintroduced tram systems in USA & world. Light rail is almost on reserved track, like metro or train, with very little street running. Stops are on separate platformed stations (a small version of rail station). Due to almost fully segregated running, they got higher speed, whereas modern trams sometimes/partly run on unreserved track/street level.
Buenos Aires & Istanbul has both modern tram & light rail.

Also note that in Canada & USA, metro is called subway. New York has a very large network of metro. It is not possible easily for Kolkata to build such type of vast network. Till then we must reduce bus & improve tram.

The single ticketing system with single transport authority is very good idea, but countries like India will hardly accept it. India is still much poor & illiterate country, where competition is often brutal. Where many cities around the world had introduced same ticketing in bus, tram, metro, train & ferry, even advanced cities like Delhi, Mumbai, Chennai, Bengaluru & Jaipur hasnít started it. It is very hard to starting it in Kolkata, but if it could, it will be very nice.

Advanced rolling stocks of tram are also very hard. Kolkata Tram Company has refurbished some old trams with new aero-dynamic bodies, CFLs, LED destination boards, front glass, improved bodies & seats & fans, etc. as a cheap replacement of old trams rather than importing. But you can see that those trams are also started battering. Our citizens are very much uncultured, also traffic systems are really very bad. Almost every day chaos is creating regarding metro-token. So it is hurt to listing but true that trams from companies like Siemens or Bombardier is very tough for running in Kolkata streets.

We have two solutions:-
1) We should construct many metro lines in old city area (from Shyambazar to Kalighat, from Beleghata to Barhabazar & also on Haorha side, and decrease number of buses almost half by this metro constructing. We should also keep some tram routes like Belgachhia, Shyambazar, Rajabazar, Moulali, Mallikbazar, Parkcircus, Garhiahat, Tollyganj, Kalighat, Kyderpur & Dharmatala, but rest of network could be closed if appropriately replacement by strong metro network.
2) We should construct tram lines in outer areas like Dakshineshwar, Agarparha, Palta, Birati, Barasat, Garhia, Champahati, Baruipur, Bracebridge, Bajbaj etc. like a feeder service of metro, same like BUENOS AIRES, SHANGHAI, TIANJIN, TOKYO & MEXICO CITY.

Besides that reopening the plans of light-rail & monorail could also be done from Shyambazar to Baranagar & from Taratala to Bajbaj as a feeder service.
Old August 12th, 2011, 07:49 PM   #40
khatbhej
The Anglophile

@Ashis Mitra: Got your points, they are true. Thanks
Baba Tramdev was a wordplay on Ramdev, not directed at you

Tags
calcutta, kolkata, tram, transport, westbengal