search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Asian Forums > India > Infrastructure & Transportation > Railways and Transportation

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 15th, 2011, 09:26 AM   #41
Ashis Mitra

Likes (Received): 1044

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndiaAndBharat View Post
We need a combination of both metro and tram. Kokata without trams will be like a bird without wings... but yes... we need modern trams...
Yes, thats the point I want to clarify. Most improved cities around the world has a strong network of both tram & metro,and other modes also.

e.g. - ISTANBUL has 2 metro lines, 3 different tram lines, 2 light-rail lines and 2 different funicular lines.
SHANGHAI has 13 metro lines, probably the most dense in China, within 16 years, and a rubber-tired 1 line tram system in outer area Zhangjiang.
HONGKONG has 10 metro lines, (some has converted from suburban rail lines), 6 tram lines & 6 light-rail lines.
SAPPORO has 3 rubber-tired metro lines, and 4 tram lines.

In this week, I will try to contact some TV channels about this matter.

Update:-
All hurdles of Joka metro depot (carshed) has solved. It will be constructed at Rasapunja, some distance away from former tram terminus. I want eagerly to start construction of line 3, because it will be a very important line. Has the problem regarding alignment on Taratala due to flyover solved?

Line 2 is also constructing successfully. I recently saw some underground work near Poddar Court, on Rabindra Sarani. Also some large cranes & drilling machines is now working at Phulbagan, on Moulana Abul Kalam Azad Sarani. Both line 2 & 3 will be very important.

Some missing links should be filled by metro. By not extending metro towards outside areas, it should be more constructed in old city area. A metro line from Taratala to Hemanta Mukhopadhyay via Kalighat & Baliganj will be very important link as an east-west direction.

In north there could be another metro link from Kazi Nazrul Islam Aveneu (Haldiram) to Shobhabazar-Sutanuti & Phulbagan via Baguihati & Ultodingi is also urgently needed for serving towards east Kolkata.

It could also be good if a metro line be constructed from Kabi Nazrul to Garhiahat.
Ashis Mitra no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 15th, 2011, 09:52 AM   #42
Ashis Mitra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombay2Calcutta View Post
TOI
Joka-Behala tram is now history

"It was a sad moment for us but development must prevail. The new government should introduce trams in extended parts of the city like Salt Lake and Rajarhat," a CTC official said.
It will be a very nice decision if new government could introduce tramway service in Bidhannagar & Jyotinagar. They are much planned with wide routes & avenues, where tram could run smoothly. Both townships are getting metro,. If they could also get tram, it will be ideal feeder service like Shanghai & Tianjin.
Old August 15th, 2011, 10:20 AM   #43
dayalbaba
Stoopid Dog !

Likes (Received): 641

the problem with tramways in kolkata is the lack of roads, kolkata has a very low amount of roads by surface area, tramlines eat into that causing problems for road traffic and are themselves not able to function to potential in terms of speed and frequency because other vehicles cut into their space. unless you have a solution for increasing road area in the city I do not see how trams would be viable.
take the tramlines in behala area, they take up (used to, before the demolition) 50% of the road area which could have been used to create 2 more lanes but transported barely 1% of passengers compared to that transported by road ?

Quote:
I agreed, but is it not true that from Shyambazar to Kalighat & from Beleghata to Barhabazar, the traffic condition is terribly bad? and very much air-pollution? We must decrease number of automobiles in this area, and replace them partly by more metro & tram routes.
same problem there, lack of roads to support the population density. there is no short term solution unless govt changes the asinine rent control policies by which people pay Rs 10 as rent for rooms in the heart of the city.
in the long term hopefully people would start moving out to the suburbs allowing the administration to remodel those areas of the city.
dayalbaba no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2011, 10:38 AM   #44
Ashis Mitra

We can reduce number of automobiles for decreasing pollution, by replacing them bit by bit tram & metro. We must control number of buses.

Tram don't cause jam, but jam stops tram. Due to this logic, tram is returning worldwide.
Old January 20th, 2012, 02:52 PM   #45
Ashis Mitra

Some updates: -

METRO:-
500 trees should be cut down for line 3 between Kyderpur & Binay Badal Dinesh Bag!!! It really sounds horrible!!! Why so much deforestation? Metro will go underground between this stretch, and today tunneling is done by bored tunnel system, not cut’n cover system like line 1, so effects on surface is almost negligible. Authority must be careful. Today pollution is a very serious matter, and most world cities including many Indian cities are aware about that, and they are trying new plantation as much as possible, there Kolkata, which is much polluted at present due to less road space and uncontrolled increasing of automobiles, is lessing trees??? PLEASE TRY TO ALIGN METRO-LINE BY CUTTING TREES AS LESS AS POSSIBLE.

TRAM:-
From 1st April, there will be no 2nd class in all tramcar. Both compartments will be uni-class, with fans on both compartments. It is much delayed comparing with other cities of the world, but better let than never. Although new tramcars have already such system (I mean fiber-glass body tramcars), but in near future, all trams will get that uni-class system. However, the present fans on old cars are old-fashioned bigger DC fans, where new fans will be smaller AC fans.
But fares may hike after long years; it may be Rs. 5 & 6 on two stages in place of Rs. 4 (3.5) and 4.5 (4) current rate. I think it will not be practical, because it will less attract passengers, in comparison of bus, train & metro.
Old January 20th, 2012, 07:35 PM   #46
manutdrules

Likes (Received): 0

The star ananda report on mamata banerjee writing letters to finance, defence and shipping ministries to solve some problems related to joka-bbdbag metro

Last edited by manutdrules; January 20th, 2012 at 07:41 PM.
manutdrules no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2012, 01:41 PM   #47
natarajan1986
social member

Likes (Received): 3571

Quote:
Originally Posted by manutdrules View Post
The star ananda report on mamata banerjee writing letters to finance, defence and shipping ministries to solve some problems related to joka-bbdbag metro

Is it tram
natarajan1986 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2012, 04:14 PM   #48
Suncity
By the ocean

Likes (Received): 13888

Quote:
Originally Posted by natarajan1986 View Post
Is it tram
yes.
Suncity está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2012, 08:38 PM   #49
manutdrules

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by natarajan1986 View Post
Is it tram
The starting frame of the video has the tram...but the video is about joka-bbdbag metro...the elevated section is going to be constructed over the tram lines u see on the video....
manutdrules no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2012, 10:15 PM   #50
Ashis Mitra

Quote:
Originally Posted by manutdrules View Post

The last photo of Joka tram route, also that was the newest tram line opened in 1986, but closed permanently in 2010, also the last sign of green reserved track tramway.

All tramcars has now transferred to the main network of Kolkata tram, manily to Kyderpur depot for serving route 36.
Old January 27th, 2012, 02:19 PM   #51
Ashis Mitra

But how the problem would be solved for future Science city flyover, which is under construction?

After chartered tram & single coach tram, 3 new plans have done from Tram Company. Those are –
a) Restaurant Tram - Simply like Melbourne & (temporarily suspended for earthquake damage) Christchurch HERITAGE tram system. An older tram could be used and would be converted to an AC restaurant. It will be fantastic because people could take lunch/dinner etc. sitting inside a moving time with bonus opportunity of traveling important parts of Kolkata.

b) AC Passenger Tram – At present no plan to buy modern trams from developed countries, but CTC has a plan to convert some new ordinary trams (i.e. uniclass fiber-glass body trams) to AC tram. Obviously it will be costlier, but it would also attract many tourists, which will decrease loss of CTC. But before it, transmission system from DC to AC, like many tram cities around the world.

c) Night tram service – Probably the best plan. Between 11 P.M. to 5 A.M. commuting in Kolkata is much problematic, especially to important places like main rail stations, airport and central bus terminus. 11 to 5 tram service will be ideal for those peoples who want to go to those places at that time. A feeder mini bus service could connect tram termini with important place.

Example – Airport with Belgachhia, Galiff Street with Dakshineshwar, Ultodingi with Bidhannagar & Jyotinagar, Baliganj with Ruby Hospital, Tollyganj with Garhia & Joka, Haorha Bridge with Shibpur, Bandhaghat & Nimtala, Kyderpur with Majherhat etc.

In night, there will be no complain (!) against tram for traffic jam. But the problem is that some tram lines has closed, so many places will not be possible for serving by tram.
Old January 27th, 2012, 04:36 PM   #52
BengaliTiger

Likes (Received): 402

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashis Mitra View Post
But how the problem would be solved for future Science city flyover, which is under construction?

After chartered tram & single coach tram, 3 new plans have done from Tram Company. Those are Ė
a) Restaurant Tram - Simply like Melbourne & (temporarily suspended for earthquake damage) Christchurch HERITAGE tram system. An older tram could be used and would be converted to an AC restaurant. It will be fantastic because people could take lunch/dinner etc. sitting inside a moving time with bonus opportunity of traveling important parts of Kolkata.
A restaurant tram along the maidan!! I welcome the move!!
Old March 3rd, 2012, 10:32 PM   #53
Ashis Mitra

I met with Tram Company’s Chairman Mr. Shantilal Jain on last Thusrday with some requests and demand, and the next is H-I-S-T-O-R-Y. I’ll not write much detail here because most readers will rebuke, discourage & joke me. I’ve done, am doing, and will do my urban-rail works silently. After completion, I’ll post the result. The coming week may be a revolutionary change in my urban-rail life. That’s all.
Old March 4th, 2012, 07:20 AM   #54
debayanlahiri

Likes (Received): 16

Quote:
I met with Tram Companyís Chairman Mr. Shantilal Jain on last Thusrday with some requests and demand, and the next is H-I-S-T-O-R-Y. Iíll not write much detail here because most readers will rebuke, discourage & joke me. Iíve done, am doing, and will do my urban-rail works silently. After completion, Iíll post the result. The coming week may be a revolutionary change in my urban-rail life. Thatís all.
Pls write about the future of trams in Kolkata.. I would want to see the trams running in Kolkata for decades to come.. Pls share the details..
Old March 4th, 2012, 07:49 AM   #55
anamitra

Likes (Received): 21

Quote:
I met with Tram Companyís Chairman Mr. Shantilal Jain on last Thusrday with some requests and demand, and the next is H-I-S-T-O-R-Y. Iíll not write much detail here because most readers will rebuke, discourage & joke me. Iíve done, am doing, and will do my urban-rail works silently. After completion, Iíll post the result. The coming week may be a revolutionary change in my urban-rail life. Thatís all.
Thank you for taking all the trouble. Hope you do similar good work with Metro, ER and SER as well.
anamitra no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2012, 12:52 PM   #56
Prithviraj Nag

Likes (Received): 292

Quote:
I met with Tram Company’s Chairman Mr. Shantilal Jain on last Thusrday with some requests and demand, and the next is H-I-S-T-O-R-Y. I’ll not write much detail here because most readers will rebuke, discourage & joke me. I’ve done, am doing, and will do my urban-rail works silently. After completion, I’ll post the result. The coming week may be a revolutionary change in my urban-rail life. That’s all.
Wish you all the very best in your efforts! I hope the tram company knows that trams are not a liability but an asset to kolkata...most beautiful european cities have extensive tram network (alongside metro network) ...and it will be good if kolkata trams could be upgraded ... there are a few prototype "modern" trams working at present but i would like to know if there are any plans to mass produce these and replace all old trams with these new ones?
Prithviraj Nag no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2012, 02:58 PM   #57
kajusen
Opportunistic

Likes (Received): 32

Quote:
wish U success in ur efforts . BTW can U plzzz request the tramways company to introduce A/C trams in some routes .
Old March 4th, 2012, 02:59 PM   #58
shree711

Likes (Received): 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by kajusen View Post
wish U success in ur efforts . BTW can U plzzz request the tramways company to introduce A/C trams in some routes .
How about all routes in order to look forward. Why can't we just take one or two bold steps in India?
shree711 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2012, 03:52 PM   #59
Bombay2Calcutta

Likes (Received): 8666

Quote:
Thank you Ashish .. your efforts are commendable .. I am sensitive to your feelings but only thing if you can disclose from your discussion is "Do trams have a good future in Kolkata ? "
I will be happy if the answer is positive.
Bombay2Calcutta no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2012, 05:03 PM   #60
Suncity
By the ocean

Likes (Received): 13888

Quote:
I’ll not write much detail here because most readers will rebuke, discourage & joke me.
You provide a lot of valuable information and most forumers in Kolkata/WB threads appreciate that. So feel free to post good information in these threads. If anybody attacks you personally let me know by pm.
Suncity está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Tags
calcutta, kolkata, tram, transport, westbengal