search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Asian Forums > India > Infrastructure & Transportation > Railways and Transportation

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 29th, 2017, 12:37 AM   #901
Ashis Mitra

Likes (Received): 1046

An old advertisement during 1941 about promotion of Kolkata tram - if today this should be done continuously, only Kolkata tram will gain popularity again.

patel2897, ayan92, mukundvs, vaidya liked this post
Ashis Mitra no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 29th, 2017, 12:39 AM   #902
Ashis Mitra

After closure of B B D Bag routes, route 12/1 got better service than before. I have requested to the MD personally to keep this route service active. Photos taken near Khanna Cinema from a moving bus, by which I was going to Krishnapur my workplace from my home Rajabazar.

patel2897, ayan92, mukundvs, vaidya, Mukesh01 liked this post
Old September 4th, 2017, 11:27 PM   #903
Ashis Mitra

Due to massive digging at the tram terminus at Dharmatala for metro line 2, trams for Kyderpur, Tollyganj & Ballyganj routes are temporarily closed. This new loop is under construction for reopening the south Kolkata routes.

patel2897, NiladriG, mukundvs, vaidya liked this post
Old September 4th, 2017, 11:33 PM   #904
Ashis Mitra

After requesting to MD Mr. Shandilya, he requested me to send an updated list of world tramways, and this is the result published in front of the tram museum 'Smaranika'.

Old September 5th, 2017, 08:05 AM   #905
Wonderbank
invino veritas carpe diem

Likes (Received): 6396

Hope the metro can bring a sea change to this nasty looking Esplanade bus terminus

SSCwarrior liked this post
Wonderbank no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2017, 11:32 AM   #906
mukundvs

Likes (Received): 855

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashis Mitra View Post
Due to massive digging at the tram terminus at Dharmatala for metro line 2, trams for Kyderpur, Tollyganj & Ballyganj routes are temporarily closed. This new loop is under construction for reopening the south Kolkata routes.

Can you please update on route no 24. What happened to the tram line in front of St Thomas school Kolkata. Will route no 24 will ever run between Esplanade and Ballygune. Would be greatful if you can click few pics on diamond harbour road and mominpur and update us for the same.
mukundvs no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2017, 03:01 PM   #907
Ashis Mitra

These routes 24, 29, 30 & 36 will be reopened after opening the loop on Espalande, as I posted above photos. Don't worry.

mukundvs liked this post
Old September 6th, 2017, 03:50 PM   #908
mukundvs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashis Mitra View Post
These routes 24, 29, 30 & 36 will be reopened after opening the loop on Espalande, as I posted above photos. Don't worry.
Thanks for updating. What about Tram lines on BBD Bag . Will route 32 will ever be brought back or it will be a distant dream . If you happen to pass by please do take pics its a memory to cherish. Thanks.
mukundvs no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2017, 12:40 AM   #909
Ashis Mitra

Route 32 has closed many years ago, around 1995, when tram service was closed on Rajiv Gandhi Sarani. That route was between Tollyganj and Howrah Station.

mukundvs liked this post
Old September 7th, 2017, 06:11 AM   #910
vaidya

Likes (Received): 895

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombay2Calcutta View Post
It is wrong to say only Nagpur has the diamond crossing . Look at the diamond crossing in the heart of Kolkata

Photo CC onlyinbengal
Is this the gariahat crossing?

mukundvs, Mukesh01 liked this post
vaidya no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2017, 12:55 PM   #911
Ashis Mitra

It is College Street Junction. Up-down is Mahatma Gandhi Road,left-right is College Street, and the connecting line is now unused.

Currently Melbourne has the most complex diamond crossing - to run tram on every direction, previously there are countless such crossings mainly in UK & US cities.

vaidya liked this post
Old September 14th, 2017, 04:52 PM   #912
Bombay2Calcutta

Likes (Received): 8678

Heritage Kolkata tram standing on the track near a tramway depot at Esplanade.

patel2897, mukundvs, ayan92, vaidya liked this post
Bombay2Calcutta no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2017, 01:27 PM   #913
mukundvs

july news article TOI

A lowdown on the history of Kolkata trams

TNN | Jul 3, 2017, 00:03 IST

A lowdown on the history of Kolkata trams

It was 20 minutes past 4 on a foggy winter morning, sometime in the early 1980s. A row of tramcars were standing inside the Ballygunge tram depot, barely visible in the light of a lonely 40W bulb glowing at the entrance to a building next to the tracks. Inside the tramcars, however, the scene was completely different. The three second-class coaches were already choc-a-bloc with morning traders, and so were the first-class compartments. Some passengers were even standing on the footboards. In a building next to the tracks, a few men clad in khaki were enjoying hot cuppas brought in from a makeshift tea stall inside the depot.

Tea over, three of them walked towards the tram. Two boarded the first and second-class compartments and the third took the driver's seat. Minutes later, a ring pierced the stillness and the tram started rolling. It was 4.40 am when the first tram of the day crawled out of the depot. And the service would continue non-stop till the last tram — still overflowing with commuters — entered the depot at 11.50 pm.

But that was over three decades ago, when a few Kolkatans were still adjusting antennas to get the picture right on their black-and-white TVs. Land phones, trunk calls and telegrams were still the best means to communicate over large distances and though the Maruti 800 had just made an appearance, the Ambassador was still the undisputed king of the road.
A lot of water has flown under the bridge since then. Today, when smartphones and app cabs have changed the way Kolkatans communicate and commute, trams are considered nothing more than relics from a bygone era that serve no real purpose today. But that doesn't mean we can wish away their historical value, nor their invaluable contributions to the city that we call our own. And what's more, trams are part of Kolkata's soul, which is a living relic in its own right. No wonder, CT uncovered quite a treasure trove while digging for interesting trivia about the city's tram service. So, what say? Want to take the ride with us? Well, come aboard then!

The beginning

The East India Company first started a tram service between Sealdah and Armenian Ghat Street on February 24, 1873. But for reasons unknown, the service was discontinued within nine months. It was finally in 1880 — seven years later — that the Calcutta Tramways Co Ltd was formed and registered in London. "The trams back then were horse-drawn carriages, and it was not till 1902 when Kolkata, and Asia, saw the first two electric trams — one that ran from Esplanade to Kidderpore on March 27 and then from Esplanade to Kalighat on June 14," informed CTC official Santanu Bandyopadhyay.

It was always a busy day

The British rule ended in the country, but the tram service didn't. It ruled Kolkata streets till the late '80s, ferrying thousands across the city every day. And back then, each tram was timed to cater to a different section of commuters. The 4.40 am tram was meant for those catching early morning trains from Howrah or Sealdah railway stations and for the vegetable, fruit and fish vendors, who come down from the suburbs to sell in markets across the city.
1. From around 6 am, it's time for pious Hindus to head to different Hooghly ghats for holy baths.
2. Come 8 am, and it was time for school. While the senior students would crowd second-class carriages to save pocket money (first class meant premium fares those days), the younger lot would sit with their mothers in the first class.
3. Then came the peak hours, when the babus, lawyers and group D employees would ride trams to the central business district. There was, however, a class distinction here too. Who would ride which class depended purely on the rank and salary.
4. After that began the return journeys, starting with schoolkids and ending late at night with office-goers and other commuters.

The downfall

It was the construction of city's north-south Metro corridor in the '80s that struck the first major blow to the tram service. A 12-km stretch connecting south Kolkata and the central business district was temporarily shut down in 1980 to facilitate construction of the Metro network. The tram line along that stretch never reopened. The next nail in the coffin came in the following decade when the Calcutta Tramways Company decided to introduce a bus service to reduce losses. In fact, the then state transport minister Shyamal Chakravarti declared in a public meeting in 1992 that "trams would die a natural death." His words have since been proven prophetic.
Next, to add to the woes of the service were Kolkata Traffic Police, who called for shutdown of several tram routes in subsequent years to reduce traffic congestion in the city. In fact, according to a 2008 survey, the number of tram commuters in that year had dropped to just 77,500 as opposed to around 7.5 lakh a day in the early '80s. In less than three decades, the customer base of trams had dropped by almost 90% though the city's population had increased by over 67% in the same period. It has been a downslide ever since.

A battle not yet lost

CTC officials at their Mangoe Lane headquarters are ready to wage a war to save the tramway till the last tram is withdrawn from city roads. "We have managed to revive a few tram routes in the past two years. And we're trying our best to preserve this heritage by renovating old rakes into luxury trams. We have to fight till the end," said Nilanjan Shandilya, MD, CTC.

Quite a part of history indeed

The Kolkata tram service has been following certain rules, which haven't changed since its inception. And in today's fast-paced digital world, some of these rules seem almost bizarre. For instance, if you want a monthly tram ticket, you'll still have to visit the nearest tram depot to get one, and that too, on a specific date! But that's not all! So, if you want to know more about the antiquated ways the service follows even today, read on...

It's a long winter!

Whatever be the temperature outside, don't expect the fans inside a tram to work from November to February. That's because according to CTC rules, it's winter from November to February. This is in keeping with a government notification issued in the '70s, and the company still follows it to save electricity and cut expenditure.

What traffic rules?

If a tram hits a vehicle or pedestrian, the drivers can't be penalised. According to the rulebook, since a tram runs on tracks, anyone hit by it is a trespasser, so the driver is not at fault. Moreover, even if a tram derails and that results in a traffic accident, the driver still gets a clean chit. A derailment is a mechanical glitch and not the driver's fault.

Absent badges

In times when gaining entry into your office involves electronic card scans or even biometrics, the system still used by CTC to mark attendance is really interesting indeed. It's powered by hooks and metal badges! As you enter the Nonapukur workshop through the main gate (number 4), you'll come across a series of numbered hook-lined boards with circular metal badges hanging on them. This is the CTC attendance system, which was indeed unique when started in the '30s. Every morning, when CTC employees report to work at 8.30, they have to remove their respective badges from the boards and carry them inside. At 9 am, the timekeeper closes the main gate and checks the badges. Employees whose badges are still hanging on the boards are marked absent. The system has another purpose. The timekeeper rechecks the board at 5.30 pm. If even one badge is missing, he doesn't close the gate till the last employee has left the premises.
Bells
This is the distinctive sound that warns you of an approaching tram even today. After all, bells are still used as horns by tram drivers and by the conductors to signal a stoppage and continuation of a ride. The conductors ring the bell once to signal the driver to stop the tram, and twice, to carry on.
Monthly tickets
CTC still offers commuters monthly or all-day tickets that allow them to take as many rides as they wish within that time. But getting hold of these tickets is tricky business. Every month, CTC sticks notices inside trams, informing commuters about the issue/renewal date of these tickets. Anyone in need of such a ticket must visit their nearest tram depot on that specific date to buy one. Miss that one date, and you have to go all the way to the CTC headquarters on Mangoe Lane to get it.
Midnight training
It's perhaps the only mode of transportation for which the drivers' training school is open from midnight till the wee hours. Usually, drivers are not directly recruited. A jomadar (again a British term), who maintains the tram coaches, is promoted to the post of driver after a certain period. And while they are taught the theoretical and driving basics inside a depot, practical classes are held from midnight in the training school at Tollygunge tram depot.
Water cannon-turned-breakdown van

In 1930, the British management of the tramways introduced a water cannon — an open coach fitted with barrels and hosepipes. It was used to clean the tracks. The rake is still there, but has since been turned into a breakdown van. Since it can move both ways, it is now use to pull defective rakes to the Nonapukur workshop.
British-era designations

Pointsmen

They are still around, and can be spotted helping tram change tracks by pulling a lever at major intersections. They have another important task — to keep a record of the time specific trams cross the intersections they man. So, they still carry a list of the trams that are supposed to cross their intersections and have to note down the time each particular tram passes through. This helps CTC keep a tab on a driver's efficiency and also detect breakdowns (if a tram is unnaturally delayed).

Ticket inspectors

This is a British-era designation that has remained unchanged till date. Essentially, they were British officers who checked whether the 'native' conductors were doing their job properly. Now, the inspectors are no longer British officers, but still have the same set of responsibilities.

Generations at work

Tarak Nath Singh, A second-generation CTC driver

Trams have taught me and my family members discipline. I grew up in a government quarter in Khidderpore and I still remember, my father, Rambeyas Singh, used to leave home sharp at 4.30 every morning. He was a driver like me and usually worked the early morning shift. That's the reason why all of us used have dinner early and hit the bed. "Beta, subah ki pehli gaadi mein bahut sare train pakadne wale passenger chadhte hain. Un logo ko time pe Howrah station pahuchana hai," my father used to tell me. So, since childhood, I was enthralled by the sense of responsibility among the city's tram drivers. They knew that the trams were the lifeline of the city and how much people of the city depended on them.
I joined CTC as a cleaner in 1981 and from the very first day, I sincerely tried to do justice to my responsibilities. In the '80s and '90s, there was a huge demand for trams in the city and I was proud to be among the men who would clean the cars every morning so that people of the city could enjoy a ride inside a neat and clean tram. When I joined, I was told that many foreigners and tourists from other states also boarded trams and that it was my duty to save the face of city by providing them with neat and clean tramcars. I was then promoted to the post of a driver and at present, I work out of Nonapukur workshop. My job is to drive trams from the depots to the workshop and back again. As for my favourite tramcar, it's the water
cannon — the oldest existing car that was inducted into service in 1930. Then there are the luxury trams like the Banalata, which are kept inside the workshop. I have to drive them to the depots as and when required. To me, that's indeed a matter of pride. I'm 53 now and I pray to God that trams continue to service the city for the next seven years till I retire. I want to see myself as the oldest driver of the oldest existing mode of transportation in the city.
Santanu Bandyopadhyay, A fourth-generation CTC employee

To me, a tramcar is not just a mode of transportation; it's my love, my passion and my family. Even now, when I board a tram from my Ahiritola home to my office at the CTC tram depot in Esplanade, I feel nostalgic. And why not? I have so many fond memories attached to these tramcars.
In 2003, when I got married, I hired an entire tram! Clad in dhoti-panjabi, I boarded the tram with friends and relatives to reach my in-laws' home in Behala. The tramcar was stationed inside the Joka tram depot overnight and next day, I returned on the same car with my newly-wed wife! But I was not only one in my family who hired a tram for marriage. In the early '20s, my grandfather also hired a tram for his wedding. Actually, my passion for trams grew because of my grandfather, Bankim Chandra Bandyopadhyay, and my father, Samir Bandyopadhyay. Both were CTC employees. So, I grew up listening to fascinating stories about trams from them. As a young boy, when I used visit other cities and got engaged in heated arguments over Kolkata, tramways used to be my best bet. After all, it's the oldest existing transportation mode in the country that exists only in our city! But don't make mistake of thinking that I'm a third-generation CTC employee. My great grandfather, Jogindranath Bandyopadhyay, was the first treasurer of CTC. He had accompanied the then British Governor General on first horse-driven tram in the city. My cousin, Abhijit Bandyopadhyay, is the current CTC treasurer. So, as I'd already said, trams are part of my family, and will remain so till my last breath.
Memories galore!
When I visited Kolkata in March 2017, I was thrilled to see the 24/29 tram still operating on the Ballygunge-Tollygunge route. It reminded me of my school days, when my mother and I were regular passenger.
— Joydeep Sarkar, a Lake Road resident who's now settled in Orlando in the US
I've had a long association with Kolkata trams. As young boys, my cousin, Hamza Firozi (who also represented Bengal in Ranji Trophy), and I used to travel by tram to and from our Collutala home to Maidan with heavy kitbags. In fact, trams are important cogs in the success stories of several prominent cricketers from Bengal
— Safi Ahmed, former Ranji cricketer from Bengal and Eden Gardens pitch curator
Tram is a living reminder of Kolkata's heritage and the fact that it runs on electricity helps keep the environment pollution-free. If modernised, trams can be a big addition to Kolkata's tourist attractions.
— Anil Punjabi, regional chairman (east), Travel Agents' Federation of India
I was a resident of Palm Avenue and during my childhood and youth, trams have always been a preferred mode of transportion. Now, I am staying with my in-laws in Behala and miss trams tremendously. The tram company should immediately restore those tram routes which have been shut down. Such a pollution-free mode of transport is very important for a city like Kolkata.
— Shreshtha Gupta, homemaker

A favourite among filmmakers

For decades now, trams have not only fascinated city residents and tourists but also filmmakers. At home, while Satyajit Ray featured it in his film, Mahanagar, Buddhadeb Dasgupta used a tram in his classic, Grihayuddha. Among the new-age directors, Sujoy Ghosh shot a scene on a tram with Vidya Balan in his blockbuster, Kahaani, while Mani Ratnam shot a tram scene with Kareena Kapoor in Yuva. Even Amitabh Bachchan was spotted inside the Nonapukur tram workshop in Ribhu Dasgupta's Te3n. Recently, the tourism department of West Bengal made a series of advertorial documentaries for their campaign, Visit Bengal, The Sweetest Part of India, with one of these showing Shah Rukh Khan romancing the protagonist, British actress Pip Phillips.

Banalata Sen of Nonapukur

It was on a fateful day in 1985 that a tram plying on the Ballygunge-Kalighat route had to bear the ire of political demonstrators at the Rashbehari Avenue crossing and was set on fire. Its burnt structure got a permanent place inside the Nonapukur workshop, till, years later, it was restored following a government decision to roll out a few luxury trams on heritage routes in the city. CTC officials decided to name the rebuilt tram in memory of great poet Jibanananda Das, who had died in a tram accident near Deshapriya Park. The tram was consequently christened Banalata after the poet's classic, Natorer

Banalata Sen.
remnants of a bygone era

Recommended By Colombia

The tramways museum, which also doubles as a restaurant inside the Esplanade Tram depot has several memorabilia
relating to the rich history and heritage of the Calcutta Tramways.
Old September 24th, 2017, 07:08 AM   #914
Adri Roy Chowdhury

Likes (Received): 472

I spotted a tram at Belgachhia with WBTC written on it . Why is it so ?
Adri Roy Chowdhury no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2017, 07:47 AM   #915
Bombay2Calcutta

This is because the 3 PSUs (CSTC, CTC and WBSTC) are merged to form one single entity WBTC. This was done in Jun 2016 . Below is the link to the news

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/52660416.cms

patel2897 liked this post
Old September 26th, 2017, 02:38 PM   #916
mukundvs

THE COUNTLESS CHARMS OF KOLKATA

Take A Tram Ride

https://www.outlookindia.com/outlook...do-in-kolkata/

Which other city in India still has trams? Kolkata’s is the oldest operating electric tram in Asia, running since 1902 and the only tram network operating in India. Trams have been rumbling through the streets of Kolkata for over 140 years now! Horse-drawn trams were introduced in Kolkata in 1873 and electric locomotive trams begun running from 1882. A life-size replica of a horse-drawn tram can be seen at City Centre Mall in Salt Lake.

Incidentally, on September 27th (Saptami) and 29th (Navami), the 133-year-old Calcutta Tramways Company (CTC) will run both AC and Non AC trams for Puja Parikrama (puja tours). Seats can be booked online here (http://www.ctconlinebooking.in).

Apart from the Puja Parikrama, you can also enjoy delicious meals on an AC tram throughout the year at the tram that is stationed at the Esplanade depot. More recently, another tram restaurant has opened up in ‘Benu Bana Chaya’ park, an initiative by the Kolkata Metropolitan Development Authority. The city has some private tram restaurants too!

More than 200 trams operate throughout the city on different routes. It is highly recommended that you hop on one that takes you to North Kolkata traversing the streets with gorgeous old houses and buildings. You can get up on one from the depot at Esplanade. Or take a tram that will go through the vast green stretch of the Maidan. You can check out routes here (calcuttatramways.com).
Old October 8th, 2017, 09:19 AM   #917
baptu

Likes (Received): 6

Melbourne Kolkata Tram Jatra

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-10-0...mjatra/9022130

ayan92, patel2897 liked this post
baptu no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2017, 10:03 AM   #918
Ashis Mitra

The old tram seen above was restored in Nonapukur workshop for the film Detective Byomkesh Bakshi.

Old October 10th, 2017, 05:10 PM   #919
Bombay2Calcutta

Melbourne Festival art inspired by Tramjatra society of Melbourne, Kolkata tram workers

Old October 30th, 2017, 10:33 AM   #920
mukundvs

Kolkata to have tram routes along Hooghly,Sector V

The Transport Department of West Bengal is planning to introduce a tram route along the bank of the Hooghly between Prinsep Ghat and Bagbazar, and another route in Rajarhat and Sector V.

The state is now looking for funds from the central government for the project. The survey has been conducted by the Institute of Urban Transport, an agency under the Ministry of Urban Development.

“We are planning to introduce the route soon, State Transport Minister Madan Mitra said. “Routes have been finalised and we have plans to introduce air-conditioned trams.”

As part of the riverfront beautification project, the state government also has plans to set up a joggers’ park, cafeteria, gardens and shopping plazas along the river bank, an official said.

http://www.urbannewsdigest.in/?p=4801

Tags
calcutta, kolkata, tram, transport, westbengal