search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > Euroscrapers > Local discussions > Hellenic Architecture Agora > Ελληνικός Κόσμος | Hellenic Cosmos > Αθήνα | Athens

Αθήνα | Athens Μητροπολιτική Αθήνα | Metropolitan Athens

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 6th, 2006, 01:43 PM   #1
Maccabi
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

Jewish Communities in Athens

Hello everybody!I moved to Athens one month ago and I would like to know some things about jews in athens.Are there any place,communities,shops etc for jews?Thank you in advance for your help guys!
Maccabi no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 6th, 2006, 03:06 PM   #2
kostya
SSC Veteran

Likes (Received): 2180

I have no idead about Athens, but I'm sure there is an active Jewish comunity in Thessaloniki.

You better search the web for Athens
kostya no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2006, 03:11 PM   #3
KONSTANTINOUPOLIS
Ομόθρησκον

Central board of Jewish communities in Greece

http://www.kis.gr

Athens Jewish community

http://www.kis.gr/ika/index.html

"Τό στάδιον τῶν ἀρετῶν ἠνέωκται, οἱ βουλόμενοι ἀθλῆσαι εἰσέλθετε.
"

† ΙΧΘΥΣ

KONSTANTINOUPOLIS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2006, 06:31 PM   #4
Maccabi
BANNED

thank u a lot guys! :-)
Old May 6th, 2006, 06:40 PM   #5
LEAFS FANATIC
Μολών λαβέ

Likes (Received): 1358

What part of athens are you living in?
LEAFS FANATIC no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2006, 06:47 PM   #6
gm2263
The Jedi Will Rise Again

Likes (Received): 2199

Maccabi, welcome to Greece and welcome to our forum.

I am sure you will find your way around here. I don'τ know your age so as to determine your education and /or professional needs. there are many English-speaking secondary education schools here, as well as an American College which is the best for anybody non-Greek seeking tertiary education in Greece.

Also, for your religious needs there are two synagogues in Athens, click here for more

http://www.jewishmuseum.gr/pages.asp?pageid=39&langid=2

Also, As Kostya pointed out, once you settle here, you can go to Thessaloniki which is a historical city for the Jewish community and a martyrdom of the Greek jews during the Nazi occupation, 1941-1944.

And, I hope you enjoy your stay in Greece.

Last edited by gm2263; May 6th, 2006 at 09:18 PM.
gm2263 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2006, 02:40 PM   #7
Maccabi
BANNED

Thank you all guys!I was impressed about how friendly you are.I love you guys!!!

There is a rumor in Israel that greeks hate jew people and landros confirmed that.But i can see you are the best,the most hospitable people in the world.In the summer i feel i'm gonna invite all my friends to visit greece!Do you know any good islands to start from?
Old May 8th, 2006, 03:33 PM   #8
skylinearth
Simple User

Likes (Received): 375

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maccabi
There is a rumor in Israel that greeks hate jew people and landros confirmed that.
Landos was wrong, he can't guess what Greeks think about jews.

Quote:
Do you know any good islands to start from?
Hm, I think you should visit Mykonos, Crete, Rhodes, Santorini first and then you can see other places in Greece, like visiting a ski resort in the winter. Of course as gm said and since you are a jew you should try to visit Thessaloniki, the jewish capital of balkans from 15th century until Nazi occupation. Stil there are some jews in Thessaloniki, not many, around 2.000.

Jewish community of Thessaloniki:
http://www.hri.org/culture97/eng/eid...ish_community/

Jewish museum of Thessaloniki:
http://www.nyloo.com/html/ent/368/ent.37368.1.asp

Welcome to Hellenic Agora!

Last edited by skylinearth; May 8th, 2006 at 07:39 PM.
skylinearth no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2006, 04:28 PM   #9
KONSTANTINOUPOLIS
Ομόθρησκον

Όταν λες skylinearth ότι η Θεσσαλονίκη από τον 15 αιώνα και μετά ήταν η εβραϊκή πρωτεύουσα των Βαλκανίων τι ακριβώς εννοείς;

"

† ΙΧΘΥΣ

Old May 8th, 2006, 05:31 PM   #10
tzinos

min arpazesai file. metaforika to ennoei mallon. Oti diladi apo OOOOles tis valkanikes poleis, i Thes/niki eixe tin megalyteri koinothta kai thn pio organwmenh. No doubt about that..(Proteinw na min tryvomaste sthn glytsa tou tsopani!!)
tzinos no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2006, 05:45 PM   #11
arTmisa

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maccabi
Thank you all guys!I was impressed about how friendly you are.I love you guys!!!

There is a rumor in Israel that greeks hate jew people and landros confirmed that.But i can see you are the best,the most hospitable people in the world.In the summer i feel i'm gonna invite all my friends to visit greece!Do you know any good islands to start from?
Any greek island is good in summertime! you can check the forum and will see some amazing pics to prove what I'm saying. For me, Santorini is my target , but Skylinearth gave you many good options already

welcome to the forum
arTmisa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2006, 06:37 PM   #12
KONSTANTINOUPOLIS
Ομόθρησκον

Quote:
Originally Posted by tzinos
min arpazesai file. metaforika to ennoei mallon. Oti diladi apo OOOOles tis valkanikes poleis, i Thes/niki eixe tin megalyteri koinothta kai thn pio organwmenh. No doubt about that..(Proteinw na min tryvomaste sthn glytsa tou tsopani!!)
Και πιο σου είπε φίλε ότι αρπάχτηκα; Μιας ερώτηση έκανα. Όσο για το άλλο που λες περί γλίτσας, τέλοσπάντων …

"

† ΙΧΘΥΣ

Old May 8th, 2006, 07:25 PM   #13
Maccabi
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by arTmisa
Any greek island is good in summertime! you can check the forum and will see some amazing pics to prove what I'm saying. For me, Santorini is my target , but Skylinearth gave you many good options already

welcome to the forum
Thank you!
Old May 9th, 2006, 12:57 PM   #14
tzinos

Konstantinoupolis:
1. Den pistevw oti i erwtisi sou gia to ti ennoouse o filos eixe "filologiko" xaraktira.
2. Δεν εγραψα "γλιτσα του τσοπανη" αλλα "γκλιτσα" το μπαστουνι -τροπω τεινα- του τσοπανη. Δηλαδη εννοουσα να μην δημιουργουμε θεμα απο εκει ποπυ δεν υφισταται. Αυτα, νοου εφφενς
Old May 9th, 2006, 01:01 PM   #15
tzinos

Maccabi:
In IOS island there are a lot of israeli youth going there every sommer. There must be a high frequency of visits because most of the signs in the shops and bar/restaurants were also in hebrew (at least that was the case in 1999 when I last visited)
Old May 9th, 2006, 02:48 PM   #16
KONSTANTINOUPOLIS
Ομόθρησκον

@ tzinos, ρε αδελφέ μην το κουράζουμε το θέμα και ψάχνουμε το κρυμμένο νόημα πίσω από τις λέξεις. Μια ερώτηση έκανα, τίποτα περισσότερο, τίποτα λιγότερο. Δεν θα κάτσουμε τώρα να διαπληκτιστούμε και να χαλάσουμε την διάθεση μας για μια ερώτηση.

"

† ΙΧΘΥΣ

Old May 9th, 2006, 04:44 PM   #17
tzinos

Nai re file, sorry ksefyga k gw ligaki .
Exeis dikio se afta pou les
Old May 9th, 2006, 05:17 PM   #18
KONSTANTINOUPOLIS
Ομόθρησκον

"

† ΙΧΘΥΣ

Old May 30th, 2006, 02:13 AM   #19
Christos7

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:

A Greek rest home for European elderly Jews

With its beautiful bungalows, breath taking surrounding and top class facilities it is a far cry from how most people envisage an old age home to be.

Sitting on 110,000 square meters in the Vari area of Athens, 25 kilometres from the centre of the Greek capital, Restion is a rest home built by Jews for Jews.

It was opened earlier this year. Help for survivors It is the brain child of prominent retired Greek Jewish doctor Jacques Alazraki who also owns the Blue Cross private hospital.

“The idea came to me- says president of the institution back in 1992,” Alazraki told EJP.

“I thought our people have had enough of moving around during our history, it is time to find a permanent home for the elderly, especially for the survivors of the Holocaust, who up to that point had to go to the Jewish old age home in Salonika (Thessaloniki), in northern Greece.”

Quote:
Alternative way of life

Halegoua, who refers to the facility as a center for alternative way of life for elderly people, says: “it is not enough to provide the occupants just with high service and 5 meals a day of excellent quality.

They have to feel as if they are at their own home doing what they normally do.” For that reason all residents are free to come and go when ever they feel like, to visit family or travel in Greece or abroad. A mini bus leaves at least twice a week to take its occupants for shopping, coffee, or any other thing they desire. They also can have visitors, relatives and friends, all day long and treat them as they were at their home.

According to Halegoua “if you are alone in France or England and have nothing to keep you there why not come to us where the winters are milder and you will have 24 hours a day full attention. As our motto says “We live better together.”

All told the biggest problem facing right now the Restion is occupancy.

Whole article:

http://www.ejpress.org/article/8595

"Men of Athens... Had I not greatly at heart the common welfare of Hellas I should not have come to tell you; but I am myself Hellene by descent, and I would not willingly see Hellas exchange freedom for slavery..." - Alexander I of Macedonia

(Herodotos, 9.45)

Last edited by Christos7; May 30th, 2006 at 02:21 AM.
Christos7 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2006, 03:19 PM   #20
athensboy

Hey man, welcome to Greece. My girlfriend is Jewish so welcome to Greece

here is some info

Ioanniotiki Synagogue remains the one Romaniote synagogue in Athens, behind the Jewish Community of Athens offices at #8 Melidoni Avenue. Built in 1903, it has services only during the High Holy Days, but is opened for visitors on request through the Jewish Community office.