search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > Euroscrapers > Local discussions > Hellenic Architecture Agora > Ελληνικός Κόσμος | Hellenic Cosmos > Αθήνα | Athens

Αθήνα | Athens Μητροπολιτική Αθήνα | Metropolitan Athens

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 29th, 2005, 12:02 AM   #61
Majevčan
Српски Форум

Likes (Received): 880

This thread is great!
Loved to come and see all those #1 Athen's pics (I feel more and more attracted by Athens and Greece as a whole ).

Thanx to all the contributors

Majevcan

Sponsored Links
Old April 3rd, 2005, 04:40 AM   #62
oxidan
oxidan

Likes (Received): 0

hello !!! I weas in greece in 2001... I likie so much to see that modernity in Greece! nice avenue.. I know that in Singrou avenue thjere is another buildigs.. personally I would like to see pics about nea smirni and alexandras avenue!!!

beautyful pictures
oxidan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2005, 09:28 AM   #63
GrigorisSokratis

Likes (Received): 11

Hi, I totally agree that Kifissias Av is the right and the best place to build some skyscrapers.

I think construction rules of the city should keep forbidding the rise of higher than 15 stories structures in areas out of Kifissias, Syngrou, Attikis and the like.

Say for instance it would be catastrophic from the aesthetics point of view as well as for the living conditions to have packed buildings one next to the other in areas like Patissia, Galatsi or.... oh boy! Kypseli!!!!

Nowadays I live in Buenos Aires, Argentina and how can I describe this city; with the exception of the Downtown area and some neighborhoods this city has a vast packed more-than-15-stories-buildings swarm which reaches to the very limits of it.

Moreover they lack of architectural beauty, (almost all of them have been built in the 70s and 80s), are grey of smog and it gives the city a horrible view. (there are more than 1000 of this higher than 12 stories buildings in Bs As). This city also lacks of green spaces due to this same situation (about 2 sq. m per person)

As you can see this situation doesn't happen in this scale in no other city on earth even in great metropolis of America like New York, LA or Chicago to mention a few; where you can find highrises just in central areas while the residencial ones are rather flat.

So that's why in Athens the restriction should be keeped in those central areas, but in zones like Kifissias or Syngrou there could be some exception.

As in Paris with La Defence (some 10 kms west of Paris downtown), Athens could have an skyscrapers area with no height restrictions. But as it happens in its french counterpart, we could keep an equilibrium in the distribution of this highrises with green areas. Also as I read a few posts above, someone mentioned a TV tower in the OAKA area, that would be great!

So for the aesthetics of this beautiful city of 5 million souls it would be great to have a modern office building quarter and where better than Kifissias! Also it would help in some degree to the decompression of Athens center

So my thumb up to this idea. And, don't forget that Athens after London and Paris is the third largest city of EE and the fourth of the continent adding Moscow; it needs a large scale project like this.
GrigorisSokratis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2005, 04:43 PM   #64
gm2263
The Jedi Will Rise Again

Likes (Received): 2199

Update on Kifissias Avenue. Two of the pictures below have been uploaded with 1000x748 resolution so that you can enjoy them better.

1- Rare view of the Spyros Louis Avenue taken from Kifissias Avenue right on their junction, looking towards the Athens Olympic Stadium. The building to the right constitutes part the HUGE (more than 100,000 Sq metres of usable space) Olympic Broadcasting Centre, now destined for government and public use.

2.- View of Kifissias Avenue from the footbridge close to the Hygeia Hospital. The 17-storey Hygeia Hospital is visible here as well as in more detail in the next picture.

And the detail. Please note that the hospital was completed in 1974.

I still have these "what if" questions penetrating my head regarding the possibility the city planners of this city had been bolder... It took S. Calatrava a simple "cut and paste" to metamorphose a significant area in the neighbourhood into one of the best architecture parks in Europe, namely the Athens Olympic Sports Centre. What's next?

I am still waiting for developments in the Neratziotissa complex to provide you with updated material.

Last edited by gm2263; April 18th, 2005 at 05:20 PM.
gm2263 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2005, 09:14 AM   #65
george_ts

wow guys I am happy to see that this thread is still alive,
I have to admit that I wasnt able for a while to write something (Holidays,busy at work....) so but now I am back and will try to add something the next days....

@GM great photos, I have to thank you really for your participation and to keep this thread alive next days I promise to continue my tour
again thanks Guys
george_ts no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2005, 09:38 AM   #66
gm2263
The Jedi Will Rise Again

@George_ts

Well, thanks for your kind words. I don't understand why this thread should "die" since Kifissias Avenue is under constant development. The only disadvantage for long threads is that people find it difficult to follow espesially if they have slow connections and eventually, someone may not go to the 4th page of a thread if s/he doesn't know what it's all about.

Now, with regards to Kifissias Avenue, the first shot (which although I am amodest person in general , I believe that it deserves more publicity due to its uniqueness, was taken from Kifissas Avenue, exactly above the Spyros Louis avanus. Now, this is a difficult spot as there is almost no sidewalk and you risk to be run over by a car, especially at night where many drivers may be intoxicated (i.e. drunk or whatever). The only way to approach this spot is by going up Kifissias Avenue on the right side where there is a bus stop in the beginning and there is s small pavement up to the particular spot. DON'T come from the north as you may rut yourself in risk (no kidding, the cars run with highway spees there and there is no traffic light for 1km on both directions.

But we will be in touch...
Old April 19th, 2005, 05:21 PM   #67
Christos7

Likes (Received): 2

mpravo gm.

Again thank you so much.

Keep up the good work guys.
"Men of Athens... Had I not greatly at heart the common welfare of Hellas I should not have come to tell you; but I am myself Hellene by descent, and I would not willingly see Hellas exchange freedom for slavery..." - Alexander I of Macedonia

(Herodotos, 9.45)
Christos7 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2005, 07:37 AM   #68
Giorgio

Likes (Received): 480

Highrises in Athens would look so good. Honestly, i love the flat white ocean of buildings but a bit of hight would look sweet
Giorgio no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2005, 10:10 AM   #69
gm2263
The Jedi Will Rise Again

Giorgos 69 - Like you said "A bit of height". I personally believe that anything above 500feet/ 150m would simply be too tall but a bit of hight here and there would be something else!!!
Old April 26th, 2005, 09:21 PM   #70
oxidan
oxidan

polla omofes fotografies apo i ellada, ego ime apo to peru, ime peruvianos alla agapo i ellada poli.. gia o kosmos kai storia!!!
oxidan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2005, 09:31 PM   #71
LEAFS FANATIC
Μολών λαβέ

Likes (Received): 1358

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxidan
polla omofes fotografies apo i ellada, ego ime apo to peru, ime peruvianos alla agapo i ellada poli.. gia o kosmos kai storia!!!

Thanks for the kind words oxidan!!!

Are you a greek living in peru? If no, how do you know greek so well?

LEAFS FANATIC no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2005, 08:14 PM   #72
george_ts

I know its long time ago and I didt any updates in kifissias Ave. as i am very busy at work and not enough time for photo sessions but anyway
but there are couple interesting constructions in progress in maroussi
lets start with a new cinema complex in kifissias I made some shots
but there is an other cinema complex in kifissias and they building an shoppingcenter in Nerantziotissa(close to kifissias) with cinemas .... I dont know who is gonna visit all this cinemas .. but anyway lets see

this is the view from the construction site

this is the entrance of the construction site at the moment there is a lot of dust and dirt

Old June 2nd, 2005, 04:52 PM   #73
gm2263
The Jedi Will Rise Again

Ooops!!!

I thought this thread was not existing otherwise I would have put here the Kifissias Avenue pic that I posted in a separate thread a few days ago.

I will need to make a separate thread about all those GIGANTIC shopping and entertainment centres under construction in Athens, Thessaloniki, Komotini, Volos and other cities. Konstantinoupolis has already made some extensive references in his vibrant Conrtructions threads that we have as stickys here and you can go and scan them for more info.

However, I can see that the first of these beasts are in an advanced stage of construction and I still make the question: With some 30 new cinemas in Maroussi, where will they find all this clientele? I mean, I know the area is server by the suburban and metro rails, as well as two highways but still...

Truth is the area is changing rapidly...

Last edited by gm2263; June 2nd, 2005 at 05:05 PM.
gm2263 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2005, 04:40 PM   #74
Giorgio

30 CINEMAS IN ONE AREA!!! HAVE THESE PEOPLE LOST THERE MINDS????
Old June 21st, 2005, 01:28 PM   #75
gm2263
The Jedi Will Rise Again

Excellent picture of Kifissias Avenue - From George Xenidis, the Admin of the http://www.stadia.gr database and forum. Originally posted in other threads, but I believe that it definitely belongs here.

Old July 20th, 2005, 04:43 PM   #76
gm2263
The Jedi Will Rise Again

I simply want to resuscitate this thread, as it will be useful for KDFM who will visit Athens.
Old November 14th, 2005, 07:28 PM   #77
george_ts

well today after long time I decided to take some shots from Kosmopolis (multiplex cinema) which very close where I live.....
they are not the best but promise to bring some more in the next days.....

Old November 14th, 2005, 07:47 PM   #78
gm2263
The Jedi Will Rise Again

Yes, the first of a new generation of retail-entertainment complexes to open in Athens the next few days...
Old November 14th, 2005, 10:25 PM   #79
Cerises
99% Angel

Likes (Received): 371

I noticed recently that Kosmopolis had opened too. Looks nice. My brother visited it the other day. He preferes Village center though! I've also been seeing 'the Mall' advertisements everywhere.
Cerises no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2006, 09:35 AM   #80
Giorgio

Great Pics! I hadn't seen them!! Sorry for reviving such a brilliant thread!